Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side stretches during pilates

• 08-02-2011 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I dont know if my question can be answered because its kind of hard to explain but i guess here is the best place to ask at least!

I've recently started pilates- just at home because as a mother of a 3year old ive no money or time for classes :rolleyes:- anyway all is going well, have had to gradually begin slowly with just warm ups and a couple of exercises each time because im not very fit! but will get there eventually!

but ive noticed when it comes to stretches that require breathing into the ribs at each side, with my arm stretched over my head,

similar to this type- http://pilates.about.com/b/2009/04/29/exercise-of-the-week-mermaid.htm

my ribs seem to 'stick' or get uncomfortable- similar to the feeling when your knee 'clicks' or gets locked straight. after doing these exercises that require deep breathing into the ribs my ribs seem a bit achey- not sore as such- just kind of like i breathed too much in and the rib unstuck! :o if that makes any sense whatsoever-its a hard feeling to describe!!

i noticed this uncomfortable 'stuck' feeling with my ribs before (even more so when pregnant actually, which i was told was common) but seeing as i didnt really do much exercise it didnt really bother me.
    i did expect to feel pains in muscles that werent really used to being used etc. but am just curious about it being in my ribs- especially since its a quite uncomfortable place to have it!

any reasons for this or advice to stop? ive no medical issues or anything like that. thanks!

Advertisement