Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto Insurance with a new US licence

Options
  • 08-02-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

So I'm after getting a car/about to get a car here just looking for insurance before I get her registered. Have any of ye had much luck with getting an insurance company over here to recognise whatever driving experience you had at home?

I have a letter from my county council saying I have no penalty points and I've had my Irish driver's licence for a number of years and a letter from Axa saying how long I have been insured with them and had no claims. Now granted I don't have too much driving experience and it's still going to be pricey but it should be better than telling them I got my US driver's licence last month and leading them to believe that I had never driven prior to that.

I read a few reports online that say if you have those letters some insurance companies will give you a discount, not sure which ones offer that though or would otherwise be best to go for. I suppose I could just judge by the quality of their advertising :P I did one of those online quote things and it was giving me a quote of $2400 for a year!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I was lucky to be able to be a secondary driver on my boyfriend's car insurance so its not as expensive. We recently changed insurers though and I told them over the phone that I had proof of having a driving license since 2005 which sounds better than 2009.

The insurance guy put it down and it brought down the price but they never asked me to send anything to them (he might have forgotten!). Anyway, I think you should call a few insurance companies and see which one will recognize it. My previous insurer here didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I got met life to take into account my provisional license I had since I was 17. I wasn't actually insured until I was around 23 but they counted all my 'experience'

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I got my license in the USA, never have experience at 23 and got a decent rate. I used a broker as they know all the tricks and get breaks. They found out that the big difference for me was going with a company who gave discounts for being a college grad.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭snowyeoghan

I used a broker myself - got $1100 for the year on a new car, whereas I was getting crazy quotes online.

As Darren1o1 said, they know all the tricks.

Funny thing is, when I eventually got my Californian license, the Insurance Company told me my insurance would be reset and my rate would go up :confused:

After a heated argument, I said feck that and keep me on my Irish license - couple of minutes later they came back to me with a $240 reduction in my insurance :D

So my advice is go to a broker

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

My insurance didnt take into account my irish experience and no claims letter from Axa.
    That is great advice about the broker, my 6 months is nearly up so I will shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I like using an independent agency as well - they can shop around a bit. I prefer Progressive - they have been around a long while. It has always been a reasonably priced, stable company. It's worth a try to see if they will give you credit for your previous driving record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Actually the Progressive quote wasn't too bad, about $900, same with Geico. Fairly basic coverage now mind but included fire and theft. They might just take my age and presume I've had my licence since I was 16?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

i didn't even ask about taking my irish experience into acocunt........i was used to paying €1100 per year so when my insurance agent her quoted me $615 for a year......i wasn't about to argue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

i didn't even ask about taking my irish experience into acocunt........i was used to paying €1100 per year so when my insurance agent her quoted me $615 for a year......i wasn't about to argue

Same! Came to $340 for 6 months in the end half of what the broker was giving me :)

Thanks for all the advice folks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got a pretty decent quote from Geico for a Mustang GT 2 months after getting my US licence. They wouldn't give me anything for my Irish experience though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theosayers

I got my PA car insurance from The Hartford through an agent who used my grades and the fact that I did a driver safety course here to get me a good discount on my car insurance.

Advertisement