Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly damaged patio during big freeze.Help please!!

• 08-02-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone out there could shed any light on this problem.
    Two years ago I had a concrete patio put down right outside my kitchen door.The supplier also applied a high sheen sealant which looked really nice except that it changed the colour of the slabs from white to grey.Anyway that was not the problem.The problem first happened in the big freeze of January 2010.It seemed as if the sealer on the surface froze and when the thaw came it caused large scale chipping /pockmarking on the sufrace of many slabs which looked unsightly.In the summer the supplier replaced all the damaged slabs [approx half] and only charged for the price of the slabs and not the labour which worked out very reasonable.He also resealed.Everthing was fine except that this winter it all happened again.I tried covering the patio with thick plastic sheeting during the snow but it made no difference as the ground still froze and once again half of all the slabs got destroyed.The culprit seems to be the sealer but I thought the object of sealer was to protect concrete from all weathers including freeze.Should I have the sealer on the remaining undamaged slabs stripped? Or does anyone know of a guaranteed frost proof sealer? The supplier is coming later in the week to take a look but I'm trying to do some homework in advance so any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

.Wouldn't you think one forum would be enough to post this in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I've hardly committed a crime Poor uncle Tom! I moved over to this forum because I felt that I had put the first one in the wrong place and I do quite urgently need some advice.

So please leave this thread open and allow people to help me.

Advertisement