Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with new apartment

Options
  • 08-02-2011 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I went ahead and moved into that new apartment that I was thinking about for the past 2 weeks and there are a few things am not happy with.
    • toilet seat is broken
    • no light bulb in one of the rooms or in the kitchen
    • latch on kitchen door is broken and bangs when the window is open
    • smoke alarm is broken and on the floor
    • freezer door is broken
    • blind in room is absolutely filty
    • electric heater in hall and seating room not working
    • smell coming from electric heater when its on
    • letter box broken
    Also it looks as if the door to the main complex and my door has been broken in before as it has been repaired but you can see that it was forced in.

I am beginning to regret moving in to this place now, what should I do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Move out? Tell the landlord that stuff needs fixing? Buy a new bulb for the kitchen? Clean the blind? Use a door stop so the kitchen door doesn't bang?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Two things.

1. Go to Specsavers.

2. Write to the landlord and letting agent and itemise your grievances. Keep a copy of the letter and proof of posting. If no action after 2 weeks complain to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

Hi,

Have you told your landlord these things and given him/her a chance to repair them?

Also, Im assuming you saw the place before you signed the lease so you would have had some idea of the state of the place but naturally there are other things that you wont notice until you are living there for a while.

The issues that you mentioned would not be enough to break your lease, you need to give your landlord adequate time to rectify the problems. If no action is taken, then you may have grounds to terminate.

A working smoke alarm is a necessity and is part of the Housing Regulations so this should be remedied asap. Most of the other items are minor and you can rectify them yourself quite easily.....

Advertisement