Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

having baby in portlaoise hospital

Options
  • 08-02-2011 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

hi just wanted to know how people found the level of care they got in labour in portlaoise hospital?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 misslizzy175

Hi,

I've just had my third baby there (4 weeks ago) and the level of care was excellent. My first and third labours had complications and I cannot fault them and their quick reactions. It is pretty busy there at the moment and there are visiting restrictions.

Liz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hi,

I've just had my third baby there (4 weeks ago) and the level of care was excellent. My first and third labours had complications and I cannot fault them and their quick reactions. It is pretty busy there at the moment and there are visiting restrictions.

Liz

Congrats misslizzy,

and +1 on what you've said. Our 2nd is due in April and if the care for my wife is as good as it was on the 1st we'll be very very happy indeed.

Only negative is having to leave for 3 hrs during the day ( as a father ) and coming back to pay another 8 euro in parking fees !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Had our second 2 weeks ago,wouldn't go else where staff are very nice and our mid wife was great.
    was paying full whack for car park then realised on the last day that the big cark park is on €2.50 for the day.

Just asked the other half about the parking and if you parked in the long term car park its €2.80 no matter how long you are in it. The entrance to it is right beside the labs and its a bit of a walk back to hospital. We use to use it for going to the clinics too.

Congrats irelandspurs!

And yourself misslizzy

• Advertisement

Do you take the enterance beside the clinics and not for the small car park ?

2.80 would save me a fortune, i was spending 16 a day last time we had a baby there:eek:

If you go into the car park entrance right beside where the labs are. The labs are beside the outpatient clinic. If you turn left it'd bring you to the hospital entrance and turn right will bring you into the big (long term) car park. The husband used to drop me there and head off and park and I'd book into the clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

Go to the admin building its the one in the middle of car park and ask for a week long ticket they used to charge 10 euro for 5 or 7 days use cant remember which.

You can come and go as often as you want but cant use short term car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mal26

Had our first there last June,excellent staff- no request was too much for them even though they were so busy.Midwife was fantastic. Food not too bad either!!! Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Can't speak for the maternity side of things, but I've always found Portlaoise hospital very good in terms of staff attitude & willingness to help and in terms of their standards of care. (me & hubby in & out for various things over the years) Looks like the baby making side of things is just as good, going by the previous posts here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 bridetobe

I had my first baby in portlaoise a few months ago. Cannot speak highly enough about the staff from the tea ladies to the consultants. I didn't have an easy labour with complications and the staff were top class. The only down side is the cramped conditions in the wards. there 8 bed ward should be at max 4 and the 3 bed wards are only suitable for 2. I will go private next time, nothing to do with the care recieved, and it may seem extravagant just for a room to oneself but I found the sleep deprivation a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

I went private & still found myself in a room with 7 women including myself! I wouldn't go private just for that reason. You could be left disappointed! BTW I would agree with the other posters re level of care. Port Laois is under-staffed & over-stretched capacity wise but where isn't these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I went public on all three and ended up on my own on the first and third in a 3 bed ward. You'll have no idea how busy its going to be until you get there. I wouldn't shell out on private care there.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

I had my baby in Portlaoise 4 weeks ago. They were absolutely fantastic. Had to have an emergency section and they were really brilliant. Agree with the other posters in that I wouldn't go private. I was in the public system and as soon as there was a problem I got the highest level of care. With regard to scans, I was always in and out within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

All the car parks over there are now full price, even the long term ones.
    We had a child 2 weeks ago and I was paying €14 a day!
    Its an utter rip off, how do they expect the not so well off visitors to fork out that kind of money?

The last time I was there nearly 2 years ago the parking was only €2.50 all day in the long term. Thats almost a 500% increase.

All the car parks over there are now full price, even the long term ones.
    We had a child 2 weeks ago and I was paying €14 a day!
    Its an utter rip off, how do they expect the not so well off visitors to fork out that kind of money?

The last time I was there nearly 2 years ago the parking was only €2.50 all day in the long term. Thats almost a 500% increase.
    I was only paying €2.50 in the long term,this was on the 21st of jan.

I was only paying €2.50 in the long term,this was on the 21st of jan.

Hmm..as of the 28th of Jan I was paying €7 in the longterm for being there from 8am to 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tagine

r u sure u didnt park in wrong car park bigpaddy
    was there last thurs f a few hours an it was only 2:50 for the car park...

i am a bit shocked that everyone fines the hospital ok its 3 yrs since i had my baby there but i suppose like all hospital now i think its gone very bad

i think midwifes arent looking after patients way they should be u could be in labour there now and could be left alone f hours before been checked i understand the hospital is over crowd but its not good especially for first time mum going though tat

tagine wrote: »
    r u sure u didnt park in wrong car park bigpaddy
    was there last thurs f a few hours an it was only 2:50 for the car park...

i am a bit shocked that everyone fines the hospital ok its 3 yrs since i had my baby there but i suppose like all hospital now i think its gone very bad

i think midwifes arent looking after patients way they should be u could be in labour there now and could be left alone f hours before been checked i understand the hospital is over crowd but its not good especially for first time mum going though tat

Im very ****ing sure cause other visitors were giving out too.
    I wouldnt mind as much if the money was going twoards giving the nurses a decent wage because there is a good few good ones in there, but how can you expect them to do a top notch job all the time when the have to deal with over crowding.

Can you imagine if you had a close faminly member in there very ill for months and the cost of going in every day would be just mad and im sure there is people going in there every day with no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Just in the door from the hospital. Second son born there a few hours ago. Not a straightforward delivery, as with our first, but we were looked after brilliantly and can't speak highly enough of the staff. The overcrowded wards are an issue obviously, but going private is not going to guarantee you a private or even semi-private room. Also, to go private for the delivery, you have to go private for entire pregancy. Not cheap let me tell you.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Congrats Kenteach :)

Congrats and fair play for thinking of this thread with other important things going on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Never heard too many complaints

Advertisement