Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance and Tax Relief at source

Options
  • 08-02-2011 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,

Can someone help me please?

My partner and I have our home under mortage for the last 4 or five years and we still receive TRS.

I know that we can rent out a room for up to 10k a year and not lose our TRS.

We have a friend who needs a place and he has no job so wants to move in and rent a room under social welfare rent allowance.

My question is would Rent allowance affect our TRS any differently to Rent a Room Scheme(which i believe wouldn't affect us at all, other than having to fill out a return form at year end)

Thanks in advance, Mush

Comments

hi, i have my house a year and a half, last year, things getting tight etc. i decided to rent a room under the rent a room scheme.

rented to my brother who was unemployed at the time. he received rent allowance it was paid by health board.

there was no problems at all, and they even knew we were brother and sister, no hassle.

(the amount was a lot less that he would have received the year before i believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It shouldn't be a problem at your end.

Your friend needs to check if the Community Welfare Officer is OK with a rent-a-room situation. Some people have said it isn't accepted.

Advertisement