Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2

Options
  • 08-02-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

With them seemingly headling Glastonbury this year, what do you thin k the chances of them playing dublin again are this summer or would it have been announced already?

Ive never seen them live and would absoloutely love to

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If you really want to see them then you'd better join the fan club to be more or less gauranteed tickets for any possible Irish Date

http://www.u2.com/service/subscribe/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭hulkeverton

but sure they mightnt play here again for years:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭bren2001

With them seemingly headling Glastonbury this year, what do you thin k the chances of them playing dublin again are this summer or would it have been announced already?

Would love to see them as well. I think they will play this year or, at the very worst, the beginning of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

They play Ireland every four years, so based on that, you won't see them back here until 2013. Looking below, there's only been one exception to that 4 year cycle.

2009 - 360
    2005 - Vertigo
    2001 - Elevation
    1997 - Pop
    1993 - Zoo Tv
    1989 - Lovetown
    1987 - Joshua Tree
    1983 - War

They are recording a new album now so I would be surprised if that took two years to bring out.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter when the album comes out tbh, as they could well start the tour in Australia, then tour most of Europe or Asia before playing Ireland again.
    When they finish the current 360 tour, they're gonna want to take some time off, then finish the album, promote that, and plan a tour. 2013 doesn't sound far fetched, and based on their prior touring history, i'd say 2013 is a good posibility.

It doesn't matter when the album comes out tbh, as they could well start the tour in Australia, then tour most of Europe or Asia before playing Ireland again.
    When they finish the current 360 tour, they're gonna want to take some time off, then finish the album, promote that, and plan a tour. 2013 doesn't sound far fetched, and based on their prior touring history, i'd say 2013 is a good posibility.

It makes a huge difference when the album comes out. The last thing i read was that the new album was being prepped for February next year. The usually open with the European leg of their tour. 2013 is not far fetched. I just personally think that it will be sooner.

bren2001 wrote: »
    It makes a huge difference when the album comes out. The last thing i read was that the new album was being prepped for February next year.

The album release will be a factor in determining when the tour kicks off, not when they play in Ireland.

The usually open with the European leg of their tour
    They don't. They started the current tour off with a European leg alright, but every tour before that, going back to 1987 has kicked off in North America or Australia, with Europe being the 2nd leg of the tour.
    2013 is not far fetched. I just personally think that it will be sooner.

Thats fair enough, and i'd like it to be sooner too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Eh, go to Glastonbury.. duh..

Eh, go to Glastonbury.. duh..

If only I could get a ticket. Queued on the internet when the went on sale all morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

The German version of Amazon apparently has U2's next album down for release on May 27. I know U2 tend to have a big release and there's a lot of build up usually but this still wouldn't surprise me, it means they could play new stuff at Glasto. That would mean a gig would come to Ireland in 2012 at the latest.

The German version of Amazon apparently has U2's next album down for release on May 27. I know U2 tend to have a big release and there's a lot of build up usually but this still wouldn't surprise me, it means they could play new stuff at Glasto. That would mean a gig would come to Ireland in 2012 at the latest.

I read that as well and have no reason to argue with it but Paul McGuinness said early 2011.

I read that as well and have no reason to argue with it but Paul McGuinness said early 2011.

Yeah....is May 2011 not early 2011 to a certain extent

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

2013 is not far fetched. I just personally think that it will be sooner.

Why?

Yeah....is May 2011 not early 2011 to a certain extent

Sorry, that was a typo, 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dave WAtkin

If a new album is out they will be likely to break 4 year rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If only I could get a ticket. Queued on the internet when the went on sale all morning.

Only kidding bren2001. Lots of my friends failed to get their tickets this year. Hopefully you'll get one in the resale.

If a new album is out they will be likely to break 4 year rule

I hope so. It seems tho that this will be a B - Side album in May with the release of a proper album early next year which would mean a concert next year. Hopefully they might do a few shows this year. No point in releasing any album without a small tour imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

I read something about the Moncton show in Canada being the last U2360 show in North America with the production being shipped back to Europe afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if they do another swing through the big European markets (UK, Ireland, Germany etc.) in late August - September before wrapping up the tour, especially given that the new album being produced by DangerMouse (of Gnarls Barclay) is looking like being out at the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

new album out in the next couple of months so I think they will continue the 360 tour through 2012, i'd say we could have a concert either this autumn or next spring/summer i'd imagine.

• Advertisement

new album out in the next couple of months so I think they will continue the 360 tour through 2012, i'd say we could have a concert either this autumn or next spring/summer i'd imagine.

I'd be surprised if they continued the 360 tour through to 2012. They have 3 albums due to be released. I think they might do a few more shows this year and take next year off with anther tour in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭James400

Don't forget they were meant to be headling Glastonbury last year until Bono's back injury/surgery which was quite serious by all accounts, so they're now doing 2011 instead.

May not translate into them playing Dublin this year at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jim69

missed last time they were here,havent heard anything about returning this year,anyone any idea ?

Probably not, there's another thread about it somewhere, people were talking about them playing the aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I hope so. It seems tho that this will be a B - Side album in May with the release of a proper album early next year which would mean a concert next year. Hopefully they might do a few shows this year. No point in releasing any album without a small tour imo.

I'm hoping for a small tour too.

I saw U2 when the 360 came to Dublin that was in 2009.

I enjoyed seeing them in Croke Park but I would love to see U2 doing a homecoming arena leg to finish off the tour, especially because they rarely do indoor shows nowadays.

I'm hoping U2 will play the O2 maybe end of this year, take 2012 off and do a whole world tour in 2013.

karaokeman wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a small tour too.

I saw U2 when the 360 came to Dublin that was in 2009.

I enjoyed seeing them in Croke Park but I would love to see U2 doing a homecoming arena leg to finish off the tour, especially because they rarely do indoor shows nowadays.

I'm hoping U2 will play the O2 maybe end of this year, take 2012 off and do a whole world tour in 2013.

I would LOVE u2 to play the o2. It would be unreal. Unfortunatly it will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I would LOVE u2 to play the o2. It would be unreal. Unfortunatly it will never happen.

How do you know, Elton John and Paul McCartney played the 02 and they are more successful than U2.

karaokeman wrote: »
    How do you know, Elton John and Paul McCartney played the 02 and they are more successful than U2.

I wouldn't say they are more successful. U2 are current and appeal to quite a wide variety of people. I went to see Macca live in the RDS he didn't sell that out. U2 sold out 4 nights in Croker. Elton nor Macca could do that (nowadays)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I wouldn't say they are more successful. U2 are current and appeal to quite a wide variety of people. I went to see Macca live in the RDS he didn't sell that out. U2 sold out 4 nights in Croker. Elton nor Macca could do that (nowadays)

**Cough** 3 Nights ;) . Yea would love to see them in the O2 , tickets would be like Goldust

• Advertisement
Advertisement