Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature or not?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

OK, I'm 27 have a degree in Commerce , I am in full time employment with the same company for 5 years earn 40k a year plus generous travel expenses, but I am just not happy with the job I am in, I have no passion for it and my motivation is basically zero. Other than my mortgage and loan repayments of in and around 1000 a month I have no commitments or responsibilities. I have about 2k in savings. I have applied for a HDIP to become a secondary school teacher.

I recently discussed my plans with a few friends but they think I am crazy to leave my job to go into a sector which will be increasingly hit in both pay and conditions by the new incoming government. They basically think I should suck it up for a few years and see what happens.

Any opinions/advice welcome!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you have a desire to become a teacher and feel you'd be happy doing it then go ahead and do it. Yeah you'll take a massive pay cut initially but what does that matter so long as what you're spending doesn't amount to more than what you're earning.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

Yes, you are right to want a change and not accept your lot (so to speak), but I would strongly recommend that you look at the prospects of finding a job as a teacher once you graduate.

I believe (I could be wrong about this) that the chances of getting a teaching job at present are virtually nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

It is very hard to get teaching positions but sub work is usually available. There are loads of business teachers looking for work but when a school needs someone with accounting, they are much less easy to find so if you have accounting that increases your chances of finding work enormously. You will also need to be prepared to teach LCVP as well as Economics and Business obviously. Computers can be a help too for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

Yes I am trying to weight up the pros and cons of it and understand that sub teaching would probably be on the cards for quite a long time in the beginning.

Someone told me today that along with the business subjects that i would also be qualified to teach , up to junior cert, any subject i did in my degree, e.g maths and geography.Can anyone shed any light ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galwayash

I have been teaching for 3 years now and love it. Its a fantastic career. However, things are changing for teachers in Ireland. I'm temporary this year and, as a result of the redeployment scheme being introduced by the croke park deal, my contract may not be renewed next year. There are thousands of teachers being trained every year and very few jobs.
    Qualified teachers are finding it very difficult to get experience. There are a lot of opportunities abroad but if you want to stay in Ireland, its not going to be easy.
    As for subjects you can teach, the teaching council decides what you're qualified to teach and you are either qualified or not....there's no such thing as "qualified to teach to jc". Schools are getting stricter about this.
    If you do decide to train, best of luck. I highly recommend it as a career choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

Thanks Galwayash, ya to be honest the uncertainty would probably be no worst than where i am now, and a year or two abroad would be alright with me. I have applied anyway, so will wait and see if I get an offer!

Advertisement