Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to 24Mb NGB...not happening??

Options
  • 08-02-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

About 2 months ago, I got a letter from Eircom telling me that in 6 weeks I'd be moving over to 24Mb NGB.
    Well, 6 weeks have come and gone, but still no sign of the move. In actual fact, I've nothing at all from Eircom (except my bill, which unfortunately comes very regularly).

Has the changeover been cancelled? Any way to find out? ... (I am not going to bother calling the Indian call-centre. It's a complete waste of time).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

are you already on a 24mb package? you have probably already been moved over. unlike the ngb migrations for the lower products where some people will get improved speeds , mostly because they were on lower speed packages, there will be no noticable difference for the 24mb migration all that will really change is the usage limit

check your stats if you have an unlimited allowance you have been moved over, the old allowance was 75gb

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Have been on 24Mb package for last year and a half roughly.
    Usage limit still stuck at 75Gb.:(

My major bug with Eircom is the crappy call-centre. Yesterday morning, after being stable for months, all of a sudden my connection speed dropped to 7.6Mb.
    I did all the routine tests and even tried replacing my Netgear router with the zyxel 660 given by Eircom. I don't use the zyxel because it is really so poor. Anyway - I was getting the same connection speed 7.6mb.
    Tonight, seeing the problem was still present, I called support.... yada yada yada => its your router's fault was the answer.
    Not wanting to argue, I left the call saying I'd put back on the zyxel and call back once it was up and running. Lo-and-behold, about 5 min later...as if by magic my connection shoots back to 17.4Mb...and I did absolutely nothing!!
    Come on...who are they trying to kid? I appreciate the fact that they have to cater for all comers, but not everyone is a technical noob. They should be able to differentiate (if it is a technical call-centre) :mad:

Baneblade wrote: »
    are you already on a 24mb package? you have probably already been moved over. unlike the ngb migrations for the lower products where some people will get improved speeds , mostly because they were on lower speed packages, there will be no noticable difference for the 24mb migration all that will really change is the usage limit

check your stats if you have an unlimited allowance you have been moved over, the old allowance was 75gb

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

sounds like the line might be having difficulty holding the speed its set to, if there is a load of errors on the line it will drop back to 7.6mb connection

i had this issue on my line. check the stats on the modem if the noise margin is at or near 6db this is probably what is happening. you can try disconnecting everything from the phone line and putting the modem on the main socket to see if it increases, if not and the speed keep dropping down they will probably have to drop the speed back one step to prevent it from happening

Noise margin is nowhere near 6db. Everything else is 100% EXACTLY as per Eircom specs (learnt my lesson a while ago). Only difference, is that I use a Netgear DG834G ADSL 2+ modem.

Anyway, I seem to have run off the rails a bit. My question was really about the change to NGB. :o

Would be great to get some updated info
    Baneblade wrote: »
    sounds like the line might be having difficulty holding the speed its set to, if there is a load of errors on the line it will drop back to 7.6mb connection

i had this issue on my line. check the stats on the modem if the noise margin is at or near 6db this is probably what is happening. you can try disconnecting everything from the phone line and putting the modem on the main socket to see if it increases, if not and the speed keep dropping down they will probably have to drop the speed back one step to prevent it from happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Italia wrote: »
    Noise margin is nowhere near 6db. Everything else is 100% EXACTLY as per Eircom specs (learnt my lesson a while ago). Only difference, is that I use a Netgear DG834G ADSL 2+ modem.

Anyway, I seem to have run off the rails a bit. My question was really about the change to NGB. :o

Hi Italia,

If you PM your telephone number or eircom account number I can check the upgrade status for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Italia,

Apologies, I have your details from a previous case so I will get back to you soon.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark

Thanks Mark

Hi Italia,

I checked your acount and the migration to the NGB unlimate has not happened as yet, However I can issue that for you. I just need to make you aware that the upgrade does result in a new 12 month contract with eircom which has a penalty fee if it cancelled within the 12 months.

Also the NGB will maximise the the fastest possible speed on the line so the increase may be minimal but with the NGB will isure the broadband speed is as close to the 24MB that the line can handle day or night.

If you can confirm that you still want me to go ahead with the upgrade and you accept the new contract and terms and conditions and PM your account number I can issue the order directly.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

The letter I got from Eircom did not mention any extension to the contract. As Eircom offered the 'change' on its own initiative (I did not ask for it), I don't see why I need to enter into a new 12 month contract.
    Sorry, but that is not acceptable.

From the letter and my previous post here, it is pretty clear I don't have an option in moving over to 24Mb NGB. If it is going to be a non-negotiable condition that I MUST take out a new contract, then I'm sorry to tell you that you've just lost another customer. I'll cancel both broadband and telephone and move over to UPC in a heartbeat.

I realise that it is not your fault, so excuse the rant, but I will not be coerced into anything.
    Hi Italia,

I checked your acount and the migration to the NGB unlimate has not happened as yet, However I can issue that for you. I just need to make you aware that the upgrade does result in a new 12 month contract with eircom which has a penalty fee if it cancelled within the 12 months.

Also the NGB will maximise the the fastest possible speed on the line so the increase may be minimal but with the NGB will isure the broadband speed is as close to the 24MB that the line can handle day or night.

If you can confirm that you still want me to go ahead with the upgrade and you accept the new contract and terms and conditions and PM your account number I can issue the order directly.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Mark,

The letter I got from Eircom did mention any extension to the contract. As Eircom offered the 'change' on its own initiative (I did not ask for it), I don't see why I need to enter into a new 12 month contract.

From the letter and my previous post here, it is pretty clear I don't have an option in moving over to 24Mb NGB. If it is going to be a non-negotiable condition that I MUST take out a new contract, then I'm sorry to tell you that you've just lost another customer. I'll cancel both broadband and telephone and move over to UPC in a heartbeat.

I realise that it is not your fault, so excuse the rant, but I will not be coerced into anything.

Hi Italia,

Thanks again for contacting eircom on boards.

My colleague Mark is currently looking into your query and will advise you shortly.

Kind regards
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,

The letter I got from Eircom did not mention any extension to the contract. As Eircom offered the 'change' on its own initiative (I did not ask for it), I don't see why I need to enter into a new 12 month contract.

Hi Italia,

My apologies. I made a mistake. The contract only applies when the customer upgrades to the NGB and alters or adds the upgrade as part of a bundle package.

I was dealing with another customer requesting an upgrade to the NGB unlimite as part of a bundle so my mistake.

As you are paying for line rental and 24MB broadband seperatly the upgrade to NGB upgrade is seen as a migration and as eircom are migrating customers directly there is definatly no contract, unless the customer choses to bundle it with a change of package .

I am very sorry again about my mistake.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

No worries. We all make mistakes - it happens ;)

Just to get an understanding, when is the migration to NGB supposed to take place? Or do you still need to action it separately?
    Hi Italia,

My apologies. I made a mistake. The contract only applies when the customer upgrades to the NGB and alters or adds the upgrade as part of a bundle package.

I was dealing with another customer requesting an upgrade to the NGB unlimite as part of a bundle so my mistake.

As you are paying for line rental and 24MB broadband seperatly the upgrade to NGB upgrade is seen as a migration and as eircom are migrating customers directly there is definatly no contract, unless the customer choses to bundle it with a change of package .

I am very sorry again about my mistake.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

No worries. We all make mistakes - it happens ;)

Just to get an understanding, when is the migration to NGB supposed to take place? Or do you still need to action it separately?

Hi Italia,

Yes I need to action the migration can you just send me a PM with the account number and just confirming you want me to go ahead and I'll issue the order.

Mark

PM sent

Any idea of timeframes? Days? Weeks?

Hi Italia,

Yes I need to action the migration can you just send me a PM with the account number and just confirming you want me to go ahead and I'll issue the order.

Mark

PM sent

Hi italia.

I sent a PM to you a moment ago the order should complete in 48 hours.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks,
    Much appreciated.
    Hi italia.

I sent a PM to you a moment ago the order should complete in 48 hours.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks,
    Much appreciated.

Hi Italia,

No problem. Let me know if you have any problems in the future.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

I just checked my account, and notice that the change has apparently gone through (the downloadable usage meter now works - before I was getting an error). However there seems to be an issue with the D/L limit. I seem to be stuck in the old 75Gb limit...

Hi Italia,

No problem. Let me know if you have any problems in the future.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

I just checked my account, and notice that the change has apparently gone through (the downloadable usage meter now works - before I was getting an error). However there seems to be an issue with the D/L limit. I seem to be stuck in the old 75Gb limit...

Hi Italia,

I see the exchange work has completed. However the change to NGB needs to post on the eircom system. Which means that it can take a few working days for the different eircom systems to register the package upgrade.

Thanks, Mark

ok, will leave it for a few days.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks again

No problem :)

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

Thanks again

Hi Italia,

Just restart your modem and the Broadband Usage Meter will update to the correct usage allowance (Unlimited in your case).

B

Thanks for the suggestion, but how does unplugging/ restarting the modem and the applet on my PC match up?
    I don't see the connection (I'm not using one of those crappy Zyxel router modems) between the 2.
    Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Hi Italia,

Just restart your modem and the Broadband Usage Meter will update to the correct usage allowance (Unlimited in your case).

B

Thanks for the suggestion, but how does unplugging/ restarting the modem and the applet on my PC match up?
    I don't see the connection (I'm not using one of those crappy Zyxel router modems) between the 2.

Hi Italia,

The suggestion from Bruno2010 is worth a try as if the modem has not been re-set since an upgrade, although all modems will pick up the higher speeds it may not register the ne package it is worth trying. Switch off the modem leave it for 15 minutes and switch it back on and try the usage meter again.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

tried bruno2010's suggestion and.....nothing happend. The usage meter still shows my limit as 75Gb and is now popping up a warning every couple of hours that I've reached 90% of my 75Gb limit...
    BUT...if I log onto Eircom Broadband Support website and pop in my telephone & account numbers, I get the correct reading and limits.

Not sure it matters, but the meter is installed on a Win7 Ultimate x64 box.

Any suggestions on how to resolve?
    Hi Italia,

The suggestion from Bruno2010 is worth a try as if the modem has not been re-set since an upgrade, although all modems will pick up the higher speeds it may not register the ne package it is worth trying. Switch off the modem leave it for 15 minutes and switch it back on and try the usage meter again.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

tried bruno2010's suggestion and.....nothing happend. The usage meter still shows my limit as 75Gb and is now popping up a warning every couple of hours that I've reached 90% of my 75Gb limit...
    BUT...if I log onto Eircom Broadband Support website and pop in my telephone & account numbers, I get the correct reading and limits.

Not sure it matters, but the meter is installed on a Win7 Ultimate x64 box.

Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Hi Italia,

Apologies, I did not get back to you sooner, I sent a request to clariy the situation and I hope to have a response in a few days.

Thanks, Mark

PM sent

Hi Italia,

I spoke to the NGB rollout team and they suggested that you insure you download the most upt to date NGB usage meter:

www.eircom.net/ngbsupport

Also not to worry the usage is unlimited (250GB Fair usage)

Thanks, Mark

Problem seems to have solved itself. Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Problem seems to have solved itself. Thanks all.

Hi Italia
    Good to hear this and thanks for getting back. I will pass this on to Mark.
    Tony

• Advertisement
Advertisement