Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulletstorm Preview & Interview & NOW A REVIEW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Anyone know about the "epic" edition with GoW3 MP beta included .. GAME only? does it cost more? Will it be available in store on Fri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Downloaded the demo of this last night and I have to say, its been a while since I've played an imaginative FPS like it. I love the fact the game rewards you for finding new and inventive ways to kill :D I've played it about 6 or 7 times now trying to top my score but can only get about 6800 points. Any tips on racking up the score?

As much as I enjoy it, I'm torn between picking this up on Friday or waiting for FNC to come out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

This might be the worst scripted shooter I have ever played. I know the campaign isn't its main focus but it's nauseating to listen to the dialogue. With lines like "whoah, you nearly scared my dick off" being par for the course, it makes GoW2's line "more like two sh*ttons" sound like Shakespeare.

Single player level design isn't better than Halo 1, the shooting is mundane - but I don't like the implementation of the skill shot system as much as I thought I would, it excuses a myriad of problems concerning AI - if enemies are just stupid I don't care how I score by killing them. Also it seems like a waste to put the leash mechanic in the game, and then completely ignore physics puzzles.

I can't see myself ever playing this game again. Least appealing shooter since Turok for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Whenever I see epic games these days I know exactly what to expect

Some people will prolly enjoy this, not my cup of tea at all though, cliffy b i am dissapoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

nuxxx wrote: »
    Whenever I see epic games these days I know exactly what to expect

It's a People Can Fly game really, don't dismiss it so easily...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

think i might download the demo.Liked serious sam and duke nukem so might be up my alley.Hell even painkiller was good fun if you didnt read to much into it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

for me this looks like a 'play before buy' game

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

These days, every game is one of those....

The only thing I will buy before trying is something recommended by Penny-Arcade. I have never disagreed with the opinion of Tycho on there. :)

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah, see i liked painkiller and this seems made in a similar vain but with multiplayer shooters for me nowadays its either DM,tdm or ctf. i really just dont have time for much else, personal preferance i suppose. i have a friend who's getting it so ill play it there because i am curious about it. ill probably just save my money for the duke tho ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Lots of bad language too :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Anyone got the prices? Xtra Vision/HMV mainly.
    Also is the Epic Edition available or only for preorders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Hope my Epic Edition arrives in the post today!
    SeanyMc22 wrote: »
    Anyone got the prices? Xtra Vision/HMV mainly.
    Also is the Epic Edition available or only for preorders?
    Cliff Bleszinski tweeted a while back that Xtra-Vision, Gamestop and Smyths would all have Epic Editions on launch day. Give them a ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Finally going to chime in with my own review...Should have been organised, but wasn't and then college got in the way!

Bulletstorm Review
    The life of a space pirate is not quite exotic, but it sure is exciting. At least, that is the image painted by People Can Fly’s Bulletstorm. In the role Grayson Hunt, essentially an R-Rated Captain Jack Sparrow, the player sets off on a quest for revenge. An order from General Sarrano went differently than planned, and now Grayson and his team of misfits are looking to set things right.

Ten years pass from that incident but after going toe to toe with the General’s ship, in a strategically poor move, Hunt’s ship crash lands on Stygia. Once he finds out that the General has crashed, and is still alive, Hunt makes it his mission to find him and kill him.

Early on, the player picks up a leash, which is used to great effect throughout the game. Without it, Bulletstorm could be just another shooter. However, the use of the leash allows players to set up mad trick shots, or skillshots as they are called in game, and toy with enemies at their will. There are over 130 skillshots in game, which encourage players to be as creative and sadistic as possible.

Bulletstorm is not for the sensitive or faint at heart. It’s crude, crass and gory, but that’s all part of the appeal. The dialogue is not going to win any awards for script writing, but is creative in the way it jams swears and insults together. The skillshots themselves cause enemies to double over, scream in anguish and explode in a shower of gibs. Even the names are full of sexual innuendo. In the end, it’s all part and parcel of the Bulletstorm appeal.

Some of the set pieces are truly spectacular. Players can appreciate the beauty even though scripts are relied upon. But when it’s well implemented, and it works, there is no need to dismiss it. People Can Fly has sculpted a wonderful environment, with a fine blend of beauty and destruction.

In the single player, you can get away with not utilising the skillshot system. It will take much of the novelty and innovativeness away from Bulletstorm, but it is possible. However, if you try the same tactic in multiplayer, you will either languish at the bottom of leaderboards or be very unpopular, depending on the game mode of choice.

There are two multiplayer modes on offer. The Echoes mode pitches the player against themselves, their friends and the world. Described by Epic Games lead developer, Cliff Bleszinski, as “snack gaming”, it is possible to pick up and play for minutes at a time. The mode is split into smaller versions of the single player levels. Weapons from the single player are unlocked at the relevant point, but players are equipped with the charge shots from the get go.

All the player has to do is finish as quickly, with as many skillshots and combinations racked up, as possible. It’s back to the good old days of competition with bragging rights being the order of the day. It is one thing saying that players can play for a couple of minutes; it’s a completely different proposition stopping after these few minutes are up.

Then there is Anarchy mode. There was a lot said about the Gears of War Horde mode, and how it was the more popular form of online play within Gears. It influenced other games, which took the concept for their own use. However, the idea has been given another kick start with the Bulletstorm system. Surviving is no longer the goal. That is too easy.

Instead, players must work together and team up against the swarm of enemies. Earn enough points from individual and team skillshots, and you move on to the next wave. Unlike the horde modes featured in other games, players can be as creative as they like in early levels. While the score target is quite low, players can compete to be the top performer of the round, and points equate to ammo and upgrades. Upgrades become very important in later waves, so it is in teams’ best interests to go all out from the off.

It’s nice to see a game that is a little bit different. Bulletstorm doesn’t take itself seriously, and is well aware of what it is doing. Lines of dialogue even refer back to the game’s mechanics with one character even exclaiming that Grayson didn’t have a witty one-liner to throw out at one point. The single player campaign may be short, but it’s sweet. It’s the extra touches in the creative skillshot system, and the long-term appeal of the multiplayer side, that set Bulletstorm apart.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Any PC users want a game later?

Beer and mumble :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Any PC users want a game later?

Beer and mumble :)

Yep :D

Can't believe the people badmouthing this game, especially since most of them haven't played it!

About half way through the campaign, and loving it. The dialogue is hilarious, the skillshots are really fun to try and achieve, and the campaign story is good so far!

Not even tried Anarchy yet! :D

An hour installing this game stupid ****ing GFWL and its ****ing gayness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

dreamers, pm me the mumble address.

I might be a while, just started the steam download now.

2 hours in and yet to actually play online.

losing faith in humanity here.

• Advertisement

17%

35% *snooooooore*

I want to kill dicks.

Game doesnt ****ing work :mad:

TCP 80, UDP 88, UDP 3074, TCP 3074, UDP 53, TCP 53

8675.8676 TCP

UDP 1000

3 of unable to actually join each others game and play, i had one round with Gonzo but jigsaw cant join. Stupid ****ing GFWL. Wouldnt mind when it does work its good fun.

pain in arse tbh 3 hours now and about 4 minutes playtime, go PC gaming !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This game is pure action and fun. I'm having a ball so far
    R.I.P Waggleton P. Tallylicker

69% FNAARRRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Jumpy wrote: »
    69% FNAARRRR

You downloading from steam?

ya

There are some genuinely epic moments in this game

My favourite so far;

I kicked a hotdog cart into a bunch of enemies, blew it up, unlocked the Sausage Fest skillshot and got a 40G achievement for scoring more than 2,000 points :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Played through the review copy on Normal so bumped it up to Very Hard for this playthrough. Not doing too badly! Doubt I'll get many of those specific achievements (some of which I got on the debug profile :().

Struggled at the end of "Train out of explosion town" - had done on normal but gritted the teeth and got through this time. Up to Act 3, Chapter 2 now. Still enjoying! Enemies are much more accurate at higher levels - especially
    snipers

🤪

Advertisement