Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers players in Dublin

• 08-02-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

The Scotland game against Northern Ireland in the Nations Cup is going to feature quite a lot of Rangers players. The team for Scotland has been named in the past hour and McGregor, Hutton, Naismith and Miller will all feature. As far as I can tell all of these players have at one time or another played for the Gers. The NI team will likely have Rangers players involved too like David Healy and Steven Davis.

I'm wondering if this might turn into a bit of a PR disaster for the FAI if some of the local fans decide to turn on the Rangers players featuring. UEFA have not been happy about this in the past. Here's an article from 2003:
    The European governing body is aware the issue exists, though, and has had a series of talks with the FAI. Uefa may impose sanctions if there is a recurrence at future competitive games. Punishments could include a fine or forcing the Irish to play one or more home matches behind closed doors.

Rooney wants to address the issue despite the absurdity of Uefa being able to act when one player is being abused in relation to sectarianism but not when 11 ? or 22 ? are.

"It is odd, absolutely, " said Rooney. "The interesting thing is that when the chanting is going on incessantly for 90 minutes [at Old Firm games] it's against every player.

The problem we have here is that they're targeting one specific player. But what we are asking our fans to do is stop the booing.

It's tarnishing the great image that the Irish fans have built up over the years." The abuse of Rangers players by a minority of Irish supporters at recent internationals has become increasingly alarming to the FAI, especially as it has become more frequent because Rangers are represented in various international teams. Brian Kerr has been heavily critical of those responsible, recently pointing out that as a child he had been a Rangers supporter.

Barry Ferguson, Neil McCann and Billy Dodds, all Rangers players at the time, were relentlessly jeered when Scotland played at Lansdowne Road in May 2000. Tore Andre Flo (with Norway), Peter Lovenkrands (Denmark) and Arveladze all subsequently endured similar treatment. During the Danish fixture in March last year supporters even booed the wrong player.

Substitute Peter Madsen was mistakenly announced as Lovenkrands over the stadium PA system and his every touch was loudly booed. Mick McCarthy sent a message to correct the error and appeal for calm but then, when Lovenkrands did actually come on, he was singled out for jeers.

Rooney ? a Celtic season-ticket holder ? believes it is the fact that most Irish supporters know the history of Glasgow football that leads some to abuse Rangers players. The booing of the likes of Arveladze or Lovenkrands was not directly racist or sectarian ? none of their teammates was jeered ? but was based on Rangers' history as a club that discriminated against Catholics.

"Quite a number of people who support the booing would feel that the booing is aimed at the Rangers club, and practices in the Rangers club that were bigoted in themselves, " said Rooney. "That's the issue.

When I've done radio interviews we've had Rangers supporters calling up obviously very supportive of what we're trying to do.

Unfortunately we've had some Celtic supporters on saying they have a right to show their disgust at the bigoted nature of Rangers and its supporters as they see it, and that they chose to boo players because they choose to play for a club that supported sectarian practices. Some of these people feel they are retaliating against a history of bigotry. I am saying rise above it, don't drag ourselves down to that level." Rooney has yet to raise the issue with Rangers but said he hoped their players, and Uefa, recognised how committed the FAI was to addressing the problem. "If the situation continues whatever the FAI does then Uefa would look to punish the fans.

"I don't know how it will go on Tuesday.

Clearly there are people who come to our games who are quite intent on persisting with the booing." The FAI's public awareness campaign included the press conference last week and statements that will be relayed to supporters via the match programme and other means on Tuesday.

The Irish problem comes under Uefa's policy on racism but a spokeswoman said sectarianism was a uniquely complicated matter to deal with. "Uefa disapproves of any chanting which discriminates on political or racial grounds, " she said. "But sectarianism and chanting based on religion is a bit more complicated. It's not so easy to define and to prove it is also more difficult. There is general disapproval from Uefa and you have to draw the line somewhere, but it's not so clear cut." On Tuesday, though, some in Dublin may consider it entirely clear cut that Muscat is a representative of 130 years of Rangers tradition.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2003/aug/17/boo-rangers-all-you-like-but-dont-whistle-a-player/

Muscat might have been booed because he's Muscat frankly. I can't actually recall what happened with that one but I remember the booing of the Danish player.

This fixture between Scotland and NI must surely feature the largest amount of Rangers players at one time playing in the national stadium and perhaps could prove a problem. The attendance is said to be low so perhaps that will make it less of a problem?

What does everyone think? Will the game go smoothly? Will it be marred by booing of certain players? Hopefully it passes off smoothly and turns out to be an enjoyable evening.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

With Ireland not involved, if any idiots go to the game just to boo players they deserve to be banned, and with about 450 people or so (ish) attending, it shouldn't be that hard to spot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Don't know. I doubt much will be made of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I can't see too many Irish fans going anyway. And if they boo some players, oh so what. Football is becoming far too sanitised as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i doubt therel be much people from the Repubic at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Who cares if idiots want to boo players.

• Advertisement

Bit weird how some people still think most people in the republic actually support or care for the Old firm rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

boo-urns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yeah, I like to think of Celtic/Rangers supporters as a loud minority in Ireland, and kids who think it's cool to support Celtic or whoever for some completely unrelated reason, who, probably, will end up growing up and not caring. I'm sure there'll be the odd scum who'd consider it, but I doubt those lot could afford it, nor do I think the actual Celtic supporters really could be bothered.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Bit weird how some people still think most people in the republic actually support or care for the Old firm rivalry.

As a Celtic fan Keith, no i certainly am not that naive to believe that so please...and i dont know any fellow fans who do

Nailz wrote: »
    Yeah, I like to think of Celtic/Rangers supporters as a loud minority in Ireland, and kids who think it's cool to support Celtic or whoever for some completely unrelated reason, who, probably, will end up growing up and not caring. I'm sure there'll be the odd scum who'd consider it, but I doubt those lot could afford it, nor do I think the actual Celtic supporters really could be bothered.

In fairness, i doubt there's many kids who think it's 'cool' to support Celtic these days. What do you mean by an unrelated reson?? Unrelated to what?? And yes i'm sure there are some scumbags who support them as they do many other teams in the UK and the LoI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

In fairness, i doubt there's many kids who think it's 'cool' to support Celtic these days. What do you mean by an unrelated reson?? Unrelated to what?? And yes i'm sure there are some scumbags who support them as they do many other teams in the UK and the LoI
    Back were I come from it was seen as something very 'cool' indeed while I was at primary school, although I never supported any Scottish club. It was ignorantly thought to be very anti-British and Catholic to support Celtic at school - and mind this is still 10 years ago, and everything appears to have remained the same.

And those very same unrelated reasons are the same reasons I've mentioned above, and that stupid mentally which has somehow managed it's way into supporting a soccer team sometimes carries on post-Primary/Secondary school, which I believe is quite witless and abject. I don't mind if you support your chosen Old Firm side if it were for sporting reasons, family reasons, relative geographical reasons (you/family/close friend lived in a certain district in Glasgow or close to it).

Quite a few people from the republic travel to Glasgow for every Celtic home game so it's hardly that weird ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Don't see the problem in them being booed.I support Celtic and I would boo them because they play for Rangers.And theres nothing wrong with other people who aren't Celtic fans booing them if they don't like their club.

Grown men booing is hideous tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

A professional football player is used to being booed, he should be able to deal with it ihmo ;)

And as long as nobody hurls missiles at them, I can't see ny wrong doing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Don't see the problem in them being booed.I support Celtic and I would boo them because they play for Rangers.And theres nothing wrong with other people who aren't Celtic fans booing them if they don't like their club.

To be honest the way I see it is those players are on international duty nothing to do with the club I know I wouldn't boo a tic player in the same situation but hey whatever floats your boat

To be honest the way I see it is those players are on international duty nothing to do with the club I know I wouldn't boo a tic player in the same situation but hey whatever floats your boat

Clubs pay their wages at the end of the day.

Clubs pay their wages at the end of the day.

yes but they are on international duty not club duty to be honest I find it pathetic that someone who is playing for there country gets booed because of his club affiliation at the time or even because he used to play for a certain club

yes but they are on international duty not club duty to be honest I find it pathetic that someone who is playing for there country gets booed because of his club affiliation at the time or even because he used to play for a certain club

He doesn't stop being a Rangers player for a few days.Just a Rangers player representing his country.

He doesn't stop being a Rangers player for a few days.Just a Rangers player representing his country.

There really isno point in taking this discussion any further your whole outlook on it tells me that you believe if its rangers related its bad

• Advertisement

There really isno point in taking this discussion any further your whole outlook on it tells me that you believe if its rangers related its bad

I don't see a problem in booing a player for choosing to play for a bigoted club who are our arch rivals.It's not like I've murdered their family.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Couldn't care less which of the Rangers team play for Scotland or NI, so long as Ireland hump both sides. :)

You would boo them simply because they play for The Rangers? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wouldn't be suprised if there's a bit of inpromptu 'redecorating' in the Aviva tomorrow night. Norther Ireland and Scotland will both bring a full compliment of Rangers fans and they'll have the run of Ireland's new stadium.

I don't see a problem in booing a player for choosing to play for a bigoted club who are our arch rivals.It's not like I've murdered their family.

Scotland aren't Ireland's arch rivals.

If you want to be a Celtic fan booing Rangers players, go to an Old Firm game, don't be a dick at an Ireland match.

Ireland are not Celtic.

You would boo them simply because they play for The Rangers? :confused:

Yes being a Celtic fan,I dont particularly like 'The Rangers'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If people want to boo players because they play for a certain club then let them.

Going to a match would like going to the cinema if the PC brigade continue to get their way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ireland are not Celtic.

Whaa :eek:

Scotland aren't Ireland's arch rivals.

If you want to be a Celtic fan booing Rangers players, go to an Old Firm game, don't be a dick at an Ireland match.

Ireland are not Celtic.

So they sever all ties with Rangers for a few days?I know Ireland are not Celtic and I think you're getting at the wrong thing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Dempsey wrote: »
    If people want to boo players because they play for a certain club then let them.

Going to a match would like going to the cinema if the PC brigade continue to get their way

It's not a matter of PC, it's a matter of idiocy if you ask me.

Lets hope it doesn't come that. I don't think Steve Davis deserves to be booed because he is an Ulster man who plays for Rangers FC.

Well at the very least let's hope that if they are going to boo, the brain trust get the right bloke this time. Don't want another confused Peter Madsen wandering about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Any supporter who boos a player cause he plays for club should get the ****e kicked out of him at Garda station

Any supporter who boos a player cause he plays for club should get the ****e kicked out of him at Garda station

Should the same happen if they boo the referee?

Yes, why should any grown adult stand for being abused by other grown adults for doing their jobs?!

• Advertisement

Yes, why should any grown adult stand for being abused by other grown adults for doing their jobs?!

Fair enough,I'm sure they're used to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Because its part of the job description? And dont try to make out that it isnt, it is.

Because its part of the job description? And dont try to make out that it isnt, it is.

Oh come on... a refs job description is the same regardless of the sport. Football culture makes it socially acceptable to boo.... which is idiocy at the highest order. Booing is for children at a panto and is aimed at the villain. Those grown men who boo at a sporting event are pathetic

Yes

Yes

Very watered down version of football.You're taking out the atmosphere,not the possible hurt your making a person feel by booing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I disagree. If this happens tomorrow it is going to sour relations between ourselves and Scotland/NI and possibly have UEFA kicking up a stink.

The Celtic/Rangers rivalry is OTT as it is in my view with the sectarian elements that are involved and I would hate to see this creep into relations with other national teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Oh come on... a refs job description is the same regardless of the sport. Football culture makes it socially acceptable to boo.... which is idiocy at the highest order. Booing is for children at a panto and is aimed at the villain. Those grown men who boo at a sporting event are pathetic

yes, lets all just sit around at a football match as quiet as possible, God forbid someone should start singing or chanting, it might be too loud for some people. lets not boo if the ref makes a bad decision and show him how we disagree with his bad decision. lets all just sit around, clap at the appropriate times and not let anyone stand up, grown men dont know how to stand up in a crowd and they might get in the way of some of the folk trying to sit down quietly at the match. football really is going down the ****ter. people who go to a match and complain about other people being too loud or booing are pathetic

Very watered down version of football.You're taking out the atmosphere,not the possible hurt your making a person feel by booing them.

So you have no problem with Irish players being booed?

Or own Paul McGrath was booed against the North in 93. Your no better then them imo if you go down that road.

We are known as best fans in world, I dont want people like you supporting our team

flas wrote: »
    yes, lets all just sit around at a football match as quiet as possible, God forbid someone should start singing or chanting, it might be too loud for some people. lets not boo if the ref makes a bad decision and show him how we disagree with his bad decision. lets all just sit around, clap at the appropriate times and not let anyone stand up, grown men dont know how to stand up in a crowd and they might get in the way of some of the folk trying to sit down quietly at the match. football really is going down the ****ter. people who go to a match and complain about other people being too loud or booing are pathetic

But this is about players playing for a Scottish football club.

Or own Paul McGrath was booed against the North in 93. Your no better then them imo if you go down that road.

We are known as best fans in world, I dont want people like you supporting our team

there is a gigantic difference in booing the ref at a football match and booing a player over the colour of his skin.

As a sporting fan I have attended many different high profile fixtures in many sports.
    At a rugby match between Leinster-Munster or Ireland-England there is an electric and passionate atmosphere and little or no booing (any booing tends to be from the schools section)

At a hurling or football All-Ireland there is also a tremendous atmosphere, and again there is next to no booing.

Soccer matches also have great atmospheres, but when there are boos aimed at players or officials I can do nothing but cringe

You can have banter between sets of fans and tongue in cheek chants because each set of supporters give as good as they get.

I wouldn't be too bothered if an Irish player was booed because they'd be able to handle it.It'd be a different story if they got death threats or something.
    People like me?Not many fans left who won't boo a decision or boo anything for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I find it strange that celtic fans on here advocating booing and blasting the so called PC brigade are probably the same people who complain about un-PC songs and attitudes held by others.

But this is about players playing for a Scottish football club.

the person i quoted was talking about the booing of ref's.

flas wrote: »
    there is a gigantic difference in booing the ref at a football match and booing a player over the colour of his skin.

Not talking about booing a ref ffs

• Advertisement
Advertisement