Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers players in Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Not talking about booing a ref ffs

please look at the post i quoted before attacking anymore of my posts please

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Pauleta wrote: »
    I find it strange that celtic fans on here advocating booing and blasting the so called PC brigade are probably the same people who complain about un-PC songs and attitudes held by others.

Yes because there is no difference to saying "I'm up to my knees in fenian blood" than booing someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

flas wrote: »
    please look at the post i quoted before attacking anymore of my posts please

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Yes because there is no difference to saying "I'm up to my knees in fenian blood" than booing someone.
    Who sings that? Never heard of it.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Who sings that? Never heard of it.

Rangers.Its called the Billy Boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

There isnt really. Both have the same intent. There isnt any talking to your sort though so i'd rather not venture into a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Oh come on... a refs job description is the same regardless of the sport. Football culture makes it socially acceptable to boo.... which is idiocy at the highest order. Booing is for children at a panto and is aimed at the villain. Those grown men who boo at a sporting event are pathetic

You should start watching other sports then, booing isnt just socially acceptable in football.

Also I love the condescending tone you have about booing yet have have no problem labelling people pathetic and idiotic because you are intolerant to how other people choose to express themselves at sporting events.
    I disagree. If this happens tomorrow it is going to sour relations between ourselves and Scotland/NI and possibly have UEFA kicking up a stink.

The Celtic/Rangers rivalry is OTT as it is in my view with the sectarian elements that are involved and I would hate to see this creep into relations with other national teams.

I dont see UEFA doing much about players getting stick for the club they play for. Booing a player simply because he plays for Rangers is neither bigoted or sectarian.

• Advertisement

There isnt really. Both have the same intent. There isnt any talking to your sort though so i'd rather not venture into a debate.

Since when was the booing about the players religion?You've made that up to suit your argument.Unless Rangers is a religion now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As a sporting fan I have attended many different high profile fixtures in many sports.
    At a rugby match between Leinster-Munster or Ireland-England there is an electric and passionate atmosphere and little or no booing (any booing tends to be from the schools section)

At a hurling or football All-Ireland there is also a tremendous atmosphere, and again there is next to no booing.

Soccer matches also have great atmospheres, but when there are boos aimed at players or officials I can do nothing but cringe

You can have banter between sets of fans and tongue in cheek chants because each set of supporters give as good as they get.

Seen plenty of fights between fans at GAA games.

As for rugby go to most Ireland home games and it more then just schools. I have been to enough to know.

Rangers.Its called the Billy Boys.
    Oh. Will have to look it up and see what it sounds like.

If you went to Ibrox anytime over the past 5 years you would have heard it. Sounds like you havent attended any matches recently :P

You serious?

You serious?
    no lol. I would need to live on a different planet to not know about that tune. One of the most famous football chants in football history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

They're professional athletes, It rolls right off their backs. DARRYL, DARRYL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Dempsey wrote: »
    You should start watching other sports then, booing isnt just socially acceptable in football.

Also I love the condescending tone you have about booing yet have have no problem labelling people pathetic and idiotic because you are intolerant to how other people choose to express themselves at sporting events.

Well I've already adressed the other sports I watch and attend! :rolleyes:

Secondly, I have no problem about letting people know what I think of their actions and yes I do think booing players and officials is pathetic and idoitic. Why? well because those 'fans' who boo know full well that those that they are booing at don't have any means of retaliating - if they say something in the media they get slammed and the abuse only gets worse for them.
    If some group of men came up to my office tomorrow and starting booing at me for doing my job - which is what players and officials are doing - I would have no problem with calling their actions pathetic and idiotic... Players and Officials know that they are in no position to criticise the 'booer' and what's more so does the booer!

no lol. I would need to live on a different planet to not know about that tune. One of the most famous football chants in football history.

You had me going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

What about the pub team fans booing the Celtic players (ala Boruc in Windsor Park last year)??

Or Irish players being booed at Ibrox!????

Seen plenty of fights between fans at GAA games.

As for rugby go to most Ireland home games and it more then just schools. I have been to enough to know.

I was talking about booing refs and players

And for rugby, sorry I do retract that as I now seem to remember Sexton getting dogs abuse from the Ireland fans last year.

it is far less frequent though, and is only creeping into rugby recently unfortuneatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

The European governing body is aware the issue exists, though, and has had a series of talks with the FAI. Uefa may impose sanctions if there is a recurrence at future competitive games. Punishments could include a fine or forcing the Irish to play one or more home matches behind closed doors.

Rooney wants to address the issue despite the absurdity of Uefa being able to act when one player is being abused in relation to sectarianism but not when 11 ? or 22 ? are.

"It is odd, absolutely, " said Rooney. "The interesting thing is that when the chanting is going on incessantly for 90 minutes [at Old Firm games] it's against every player.

The problem we have here is that they're targeting one specific player. But what we are asking our fans to do is stop the booing.

It's tarnishing the great image that the Irish fans have built up over the years." The abuse of Rangers players by a minority of Irish supporters at recent internationals has become increasingly alarming to the FAI, especially as it has become more frequent because Rangers are represented in various international teams. Brian Kerr has been heavily critical of those responsible, recently pointing out that as a child he had been a Rangers supporter.

Barry Ferguson, Neil McCann and Billy Dodds, all Rangers players at the time, were relentlessly jeered when Scotland played at Lansdowne Road in May 2000. Tore Andre Flo (with Norway), Peter Lovenkrands (Denmark) and Arveladze all subsequently endured similar treatment. During the Danish fixture in March last year supporters even booed the wrong player.

Substitute Peter Madsen was mistakenly announced as Lovenkrands over the stadium PA system and his every touch was loudly booed. Mick McCarthy sent a message to correct the error and appeal for calm but then, when Lovenkrands did actually come on, he was singled out for jeers.

Rooney ? a Celtic season-ticket holder ? believes it is the fact that most Irish supporters know the history of Glasgow football that leads some to abuse Rangers players. The booing of the likes of Arveladze or Lovenkrands was not directly racist or sectarian ? none of their teammates was jeered ? but was based on Rangers' history as a club that discriminated against Catholics.

"Quite a number of people who support the booing would feel that the booing is aimed at the Rangers club, and practices in the Rangers club that were bigoted in themselves, " said Rooney. "That's the issue.

When I've done radio interviews we've had Rangers supporters calling up obviously very supportive of what we're trying to do.

Unfortunately we've had some Celtic supporters on saying they have a right to show their disgust at the bigoted nature of Rangers and its supporters as they see it, and that they chose to boo players because they choose to play for a club that supported sectarian practices. Some of these people feel they are retaliating against a history of bigotry. I am saying rise above it, don't drag ourselves down to that level." Rooney has yet to raise the issue with Rangers but said he hoped their players, and Uefa, recognised how committed the FAI was to addressing the problem. "If the situation continues whatever the FAI does then Uefa would look to punish the fans.

"I don't know how it will go on Tuesday.

Clearly there are people who come to our games who are quite intent on persisting with the booing." The FAI's public awareness campaign included the press conference last week and statements that will be relayed to supporters via the match programme and other means on Tuesday.

The Irish problem comes under Uefa's policy on racism but a spokeswoman said sectarianism was a uniquely complicated matter to deal with. "Uefa disapproves of any chanting which discriminates on political or racial grounds, " she said. "But sectarianism and chanting based on religion is a bit more complicated. It's not so easy to define and to prove it is also more difficult. There is general disapproval from Uefa and you have to draw the line somewhere, but it's not so clear cut." On Tuesday, though, some in Dublin may consider it entirely clear cut that Muscat is a representative of 130 years of Rangers tradition.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2003/a...stle-a-player/

Is the game not on Wednesday. UEFA don't even know when the match is on.

With the ROI v N.I game in May. There will be plenty of booing. Just hope our national anthem doesn't get booed lol.

Well I've already adressed the other sports I watch and attend! :rolleyes:

Secondly, I have no problem about letting people know what I think of their actions and yes I do think booing players and officials is pathetic and idoitic. Why? well because those 'fans' who boo know full well that those that they are booing at don't have any means of retaliating - if they say something in the media they get slammed and the abuse only gets worse for them.
    If some group of men came up to my office tomorrow and starting booing at me for doing my job - which is what players and officials are doing - I would have no problem with calling their actions pathetic and idiotic... Players and Officials know that they are in no position to criticise the 'booer' and what's more so does the booer!

Your job isnt in the public eye. Fans aren't spending millions on merchandise and tickets to help fund your wages. You ask any sportsperson, they'll tell you that its part and parcel of sport and you shouldnt be there if you cant handle it.

I suppose you have never criticised a politician?

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Is the game not on Wednesday. UEFA don't even know when the match is on.

This thread was created off the back of an article from 2003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

This thread was created off the back of an article from 2003

My bad.

Your job isnt in the public eye. Fans aren't spending millions on merchandise and tickets to help fund your wages. You ask any sportsperson, they'll tell you that its part and parcel of sport and you shouldnt be there if you cant handle it.

I suppose you have never criticised a politician?

Criticise until the cows come home! I think this is where the issue boils down to, is there a line between criticisng and booing?! I certainly say yes.
    I'll criticise a politician sure-if they aren't doing their job.
    Also, my criticism will not be due to the fact he/she is a member of X party. Which would be the parallel with criticising, or in a more extreme case booing, a player based on the team he plays for which is what this thread is about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I would be more wary of the fans coming down for the day

Criticise until the cows come home! I think this is where the issue boils down to, is there a line between criticisng and booing?! I certainly say yes.
    I'll criticise a politician sure-if they aren't doing their job.
    Also, my criticism will not be due to the fact he/she is a member of X party. Which would be the parallel with criticising, or in a more extreme case booing, a player based on the team he plays for which is what this thread is about

It was a rhetorical question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

As a sporting fan I have attended many different high profile fixtures in many sports.
    At a rugby match between Leinster-Munster or Ireland-England there is an electric and passionate atmosphere and little or no booing (any booing tends to be from the schools section)

At a hurling or football All-Ireland there is also a tremendous atmosphere, and again there is next to no booing.

Soccer matches also have great atmospheres, but when there are boos aimed at players or officials I can do nothing but cringe

You can have banter between sets of fans and tongue in cheek chants because each set of supporters give as good as they get.

Well i dont know what GAA games you've been to but i can tell you booing is the least of the problems that some players and officials have to put up with in the heat of championship battle. If you cringe at soccer matches because of a bit of booing then maybe you should stop going.

• Advertisement

I find it strange that celtic fans on here advocating booing and blasting the so called PC brigade are probably the same people who complain about un-PC songs and attitudes held by others.

Care to elaborate?? I think the only songs Celtic fans have problems with, are the Rangers fans singing about the famine and telling Irish people to go home and about being up to their necks in fenian blood. They go beyond the un pc line imo. So if UEFA aren't going to do anything about that, do people relaly think they give two fckus about a bit of booing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Nothing wrong with a bit of hostility at a football match....i would say though people would be sad bastards to go to the scotland game just to abuse rangers players but it will be expected when we play the north and im sure the GAWA of northern ireland wont be silent either when we play them!!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nailz wrote: »
    It was ignorantly thought to be very anti-British and Catholic to support Celtic at school - and mind this is still 10 years ago, and everything appears to have remained the same.

Appears to remained the same, I even know people who support Celtic because it's "Anti-British", these lads would be late teens, I just laugh at them and tell them to google map Glasgow.
    You would boo them simply because they play for The Rangers? :confused:

Wasn't it Shota Arveladze booed by Irish fans years back against Georgia as he played for Rangers?
    Ireland are not Celtic.

Nor are Celtic Irish.
    Going to a match would like going to the cinema if the PC brigade continue to get their way

People on boards go to matches?:confused:
    Well i dont know what GAA games you've been to but i can tell you booing is the least of the problems that some players and officials have to put up with in the heat of championship battle. If you cringe at soccer matches because of a bit of booing then maybe you should stop going.

+1

So a thread is brought up and I give my opinion, just because my opinion goes against the tide I should stop going to football matches?! this makes no sense!

I'm just going to try briefly clarify my point here because a few things have been brought up and wires have been crossed.
    I'll try break it up first.

1) Hate/Racist chants sung by any set of 'fans' have absolutely no place in sport regardless of who sings them

2) Booing doesn't come near the Hate/Racist chants. However booing a player on the basis of who he plays for is IMO idiotic and pathetic-and that's what this thread is about. Booing a referee just because a decision went against you is also idiotic. Perhaps, while trying to defend myself, I overstated booing in general. There is a difference between booing a player on the basis of who he plays for and booing a dangerous/reckless challenge or perhaps a ridiculous decision by the ref. I wouldn't boo in any event but I would have a more sympathetic opinion of the 'booers' if there was a justification to be annoyed.

3) Banter Chants between sets of supporters or chants about your own team. Great, these are brilliant - these are what make an atmosphere, not booing!

To bring this into the context of this thread, which is booing a player on the basis of playing for Rangers - well, I've no time for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Grown men booing is hideous tbh.

Oh FFS. Its part and parcel of live football, get over it. I do agree that turning up to boo them would be stupid mind, and I certainly wouldnt agree with it at the Ireland vs Scotland matches, but the much talked of booing during the Ireland vs Georgia match years ago at particular players was entirely acceptable, though I dont know if personally I would have bothered. Its a well worn tactic to distract the opposing side, deal with it.

Apart from all that wonder will there be trouble in town tonight?

Any supporter who boos a player cause he plays for club should get the ****e kicked out of him at Garda station

tbh I quite liked the way the La Liga fans brought tricolours and the boo brigade to Henrys first post Ireland Barca match, not to mention the Mexican fans who did likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I find the vitriolic booing of players just because they play for a certain club pathetic to be honest. I was in Lansdowne Road all those years ago when Peter Madsen got booed coz Celtic fans didnt know what Peter Lovenkrands looked like. Felt embarrassed to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I don't see a problem in booing a player for choosing to play for a bigoted club who are our arch rivals.It's not like I've murdered their family.

Rangers players killed your family :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I persume all those who are tarring all Celtic fans with the one brush are also calling on UEFA to investigate the abuse and far worse treatment than a little booing that has been continously handed out to Neil Lennon, James McCarthy and Aiden McGeadey??

I am a lifelong Celtic fan and no self righteous keyboard warrior will make me apologise or feel bad for that, and I attended all the above mentioned games where booing against Rangers players took place, I did not participate in the booing and did not approve but if anyone here genuinely thinks that any of the players at whom it was directed actually gave a sh*t, then im amazed tbh, I would say they were pi*sing themselves in the dressing room after and I'm sure Lovenkrands and they guy mistaken for him had a great laugh about it.

As for the claim the booing is only prevelant in Soccer and is not common place in other major teamsports, well maybe 15 years ago but it is very common occurence in this day and age and yes I must admit I booed the ref in the 2009 Hurling AI final when he awarded that 'peno' :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

there is one fundamental and serious flaw in a lot of the logic on here.

One does not need to be a Celtic fan to dislike Rangers.

This is a club that at its core holds anti-Irish bigotry. The only professional club in Britain to never sign someone of a nationalist Irish background. The club that had an official no catholic policy until UEFA told them to knock it on the head. The club whose fans sing songs about the famine and slitting Catholic's throats. The club whose fans assault Irish Celtic players in the street, repeatedly.

The handwringing on here is cringeworthy.

They HATE us with a violent passion and we can't boo their players? Balls to that. Try the ballet ladies, might be more your pace.

This is a club that at its core holds anti-Irish bigotry. The only professional club in Britain to never sign someone of a nationalist Irish background. The club that had an official no catholic policy until UEFA told them to knock it on the head. The club whose fans sing songs about the famine and slitting Catholic's throats. The club whose fans assault Irish Celtic players in the street, repeatedly.

They HATE us with a violent passion and we can't boo their players? Balls to that. Try the ballet ladies, might be more your pace.

Well fcuking said. The worst was when one of the Shels lads here suggested singing Gers songs during a pre season friendly to wind up the "barstoolers". The same lads who chastise people who dont follow the pub league as not being patriotic, even though these same people might live breath and die international football, the true marker of a fan IMO.

Dont get me wrong, they are not all scum. Ive 3 good mates here in Oz that are Gers fans, but, like any team there is a scum element, and the Rangers board have a worse record than most.

It would be a bit sad to pay to see this islands other team just to boo them

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    It would be a bit sad to pay to see this islands other team just to boo them

Who is going to do that?

We are talking here about whether it is right or wrong for Irish fans to boo players of an anti-Irish club.

6 county fans give their own Celtic players death threats ffs. Context.

Who is going to do that?

We are talking here about whether it is right or wrong for Irish fans to boo players of an anti-Irish club.

6 county fans give their own Celtic players death threats ffs. Context.
    The OP was on about todays? Game and local fans turning up to boo

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    The OP was on about todays? Game and local fans turning up to boo

Was he?

Did he suggest people would pay in specifically to abuse 6 county players or did he reference that Irish fans might boo Rangers players on both sides again?

Try reading it etc.

Was he?

Did he suggest people would pay in specifically to abuse 6 county players or did he reference that Irish fans might boo Rangers players on both sides again?

Try reading it etc.
    Ha, sorry about that you are right! Better get my brain in gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mail.jpg

rossie1977 wrote: »
    mail.jpg

Ya, very relevant to this thread. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well fcuking said. The same lads who chastise people who dont follow the pub league as not being patriotic, even though these same people might live breath and die international football, the true marker of a fan IMO.

You were doing well up to that and you just let yourself down badly. Was there really a need for that comment?

• Advertisement
Advertisement