Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers players in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Who is going to do that?

We are talking here about whether it is right or wrong for Irish fans to boo players of an anti-Irish club.

6 county fans give their own Celtic players death threats ffs. Context.

I assume when you say "6 county fans" I take it you mean "Northern Ireland fans"...I don't think FIFA have a international side registered with them called "6 county"!!! :confused:
    As a Northern Ireland fan I am really looking forward to seeing Niall McGinn and Pat McCourt this evening...though I don't think Northern Ireland fans care what club side their players come from...I don't!!! We just want them to play for the shirt...and Niall and Pat certainly want to do that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

They HATE us with a violent passion and we can't boo their players? Balls to that. Try the ballet ladies, might be more your pace.

lucky me then, had a great chat with a bunch of rangers fans few years ago on the metro in barcelona and my strong roscommon accent didn't give me away or nothing

when you finished tarring everyone with the same brush don't forget to put it back, i was at a QPR and celtic match about 10 years ago in loftus road, got tickets for the qpr end and the whole time the home support in that stand was singing anti-irish songs the whole time and the guy beside me shouting, "i f**king hate paddy twats"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ya, very relevant to this thread. Well done.

Success-Kid-INTERNET-SERIOUS-BUSINESS-300x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

there is one fundamental and serious flaw in a lot of the logic on here.

One does not need to be a Celtic fan to dislike Rangers.

This is a club that at its core holds anti-Irish bigotry. The only professional club in Britain to never sign someone of a nationalist Irish background. The club that had an official no catholic policy until UEFA told them to knock it on the head. The club whose fans sing songs about the famine and slitting Catholic's throats. The club whose fans assault Irish Celtic players in the street, repeatedly.

The handwringing on here is cringeworthy.

They HATE us with a violent passion and we can't boo their players? Balls to that. Try the ballet ladies, might be more your pace.

If they hate us, let them. I wouldn't validate their hate by caring a hoot about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Scotland aren't Ireland's arch rivals.

If you want to be a Celtic fan booing Rangers players, go to an Old Firm game, don't be a dick at an Ireland match.

Ireland are not Celtic.

It'd be the same as an Irish lad who supports Liverpool, booing John O'Shea or Gibson imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

gustavo wrote: »
    If they hate us, let them. I wouldn't validate their hate by caring a hoot about them

Good for you. But the point remains. A lot of fans out there wouldn't be hugely Celtic minded, but despise the Gers for what they stand for.

If that manifiests itself with a boo or two, so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Even if all the "Rangers are a bigoted club" is true, how does booing their players make any sense, especially when they're on international duty? Its not their fault FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

That_Guy wrote: »
    It'd be the same as an Irish lad who supports Liverpool, booing John O'Shea or Gibson imo.

:confused::confused: Why would an irish lad boo an Irish player??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Did Bougherra get booed last summer when we played Algeria before the world cup :confused:

Sizzler wrote: »
    Did Bougherra get booed last summer when we played Morocco before the world cup :confused:

No but then again he's Algerian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Right, I'm stopping this before it starts. Keep your posts civil, don't attempt to back seat mod and attack the post not the poster.

Iago wrote: »
    Right, I'm stopping this before it starts. Keep your posts civil, don't attempt to back seat mod and attack the post not the poster.

/.

Stopping what?? Where did things get out of hand??

If you want to question moderation decisions I suggest you take it to PM rather than clog up the thread.

To close this off the original post was directed at people with a certain mentality. It was probably borderline abusive as an attack on a poster. So it's been deleted.

Your post was clear back seat modding and could have been infracted, I chose to delete it instead.

The other posts after that were just noise.

So back on-topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Paul4As wrote: »
    As a Northern Ireland fan I am really looking forward to seeing Niall McGinn and Pat McCourt this evening...though I don't think Northern Ireland fans care what club side their players come from...I don't!!! We just want them to play for the shirt...and Niall and Pat certainly want to do that!

Paul, why was Neil Lennon hounded into retirement and hes family receiving death threats, was it because he was too defense minded in midfield perhaps?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

:confused::confused: Why would an irish lad boo an Irish player??
    Why would an Irish lad denigrate Irish football (like Damo there)? Why would an Irish lad follow a Scottish team because of their "Irish heritage" but ignore Irish football? Why would an Irish lad call another Irish lad a "Scouser" while "supporting" his favourite big 4 side down the pub?

It takes all sorts tbh.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Why would an Irish lad denigrate Irish football (like Damo there)? Why would an Irish lad follow a Scottish team because of their "Irish heritage" but ignore Irish football? Why would an Irish lad call another Irish lad a "Scouser" while "supporting" his favourite big 4 side down the pub?

It takes all sorts tbh.

As may be, but it doesn't take away from the fact that its slightly surreal that people don't seem to understand why fans of the Irish national side might not like Rangers...

Are people that devoid of an understanding of football culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Read through this, and I only have one question:

Where was all the outrage on here when Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy were getting persecuted with real nasty sectarian abuse week in, week out while playing in scotland?

A bit of harmless booing never did anyone any harm, and that's all it would be and has ever been with regards to rangers lads playing internationally in dublin and i'm sure the likes of lafferty and davis are expecting and they will probably enjoy it and allow it to motivate them. It's a far cry from the bullets sent to paddy mccourt, neil lennon and niall mcginn in the post recently.

Again where was all the outrage on here when that occured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Get into them Ulster men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am Hibs fan and looking forward to booing the ****e out of the Celtic players, its part of football eh.

O and we were set up before Celtic so:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement

Are people that devoid of an understanding of football culture?
    Of course they are, you read this forum dont you?

Its hard to know where to start. Leeroyjones and his assertion that football fans should be more gentlemanly in their conduct, the rabidly anti-Irish Celtic fan Damo, Coillte bhoy suggesting Stovelid wants Ireland back in the UK while simultaneously devoting all his attention to British football, the Rangers guy saying Rangers are not anti-Irish Catholic, the barstoolers hammering Robbie Keane because he isnt up to the level of "their" latest megastar signing, the list goes on and on.

This forum is a perfect reflection of how entirely mixed up and clueless Irish football "fans" are.

Why would an Irish lad denigrate Irish football (like Damo there)?
    Cant answer for him
    Why would an Irish lad follow a Scottish team because of their "Irish heritage" but ignore Irish football?
    On a personal level i don't ignore Irish football but given the attitude of many LoI fans on here, i do understand why many do so. [/quote]

[/QUOTE]

I hope the ROI fans do boo the Rangers players from N.I. Sets up the may game very nicely. :)

Of course they are, you read this forum dont you?

Its hard to know where to start. Leeroyjones and his assertion that football fans should be more gentlemanly in their conduct, the rabidly anti-Irish Celtic fan Damo, Coillte bhoy suggesting Stovelid wants Ireland back in the UK while simultaneously devoting all his attention to British football, the Rangers guy saying Rangers are not anti-Irish Catholic, the barstoolers hammering Robbie Keane because he isnt up to the level of "their" latest megastar signing, the list goes on and on.

This forum is a perfect reflection of how entirely mixed up and clueless Irish football "fans" are.

Twas a leading question to be fair.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Where was all the outrage on here when Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy were getting persecuted with real nasty sectarian abuse week in, week out while playing in scotland?

First up, do you not see that the Scottish people might have a fair grievance over the fact that good Scottish players decided to play for a different country to where they were born? The abuse was not all sectarian. Look at the abuse that Stephen Ireland gets for not playing for Ireland. Imagine if he had decided to play for another country altogether.

A bit of harmless booing never did anyone any harm, and that's all it would be and has ever been with regards to rangers lads playing internationally in dublin and i'm sure the likes of lafferty and davis are expecting and they will probably enjoy it and allow it to motivate them. It's a far cry from the bullets sent to paddy mccourt, neil lennon and niall mcginn in the post recently.

Seriously? You actually think that people were not disgusted by that?

Read through this, and I only have one question:

That seems to be the core of the argument right there.

Do the Ole Ole brigade have THAT big a need to be loved by all that even giving the natural enemy a bit of playful stick is too hideous to contemplate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yeah but nobody hates you lot ;)

Reckon a lot of the attraction with supporting Celtic is the opportunity to vent spleen on the Gers.
    I am Hibs fan and looking forward to booing the ****e out of the Celtic players, its part of football eh.

O and we were set up before Celtic so:p:p:p:p

reprazant wrote: »
    First up, do you not see that the Scottish people might have a fair grievance over the fact that good Scottish players decided to play for a different country to where they were born? The abuse was not all sectarian. Look at the abuse that Stephen Ireland gets for not playing for Ireland. Imagine if he had decided to play for another country altogether.

My hole.

That is all.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I hope the ROI fans do boo the Rangers players from N.I. Sets up the may game very nicely. :)
    indeed. the politically correct brigade will ruin football and any atmosphere very soon. so what if lafferty takes a bit of stick in may. i'm sure gibson and stokes will too. it'll probably motivate them to play better. it will sicken me to see paddy mccourt playin for the the six against us though i have to admit :pac:

Coillte bhoy suggesting Stovelid wants Ireland back in the UK while simultaneously devoting all his attention to British football, .

Re: stovelid, it was a tongue in cheek comment as was his to me i would imagine. What do you mean by me devoting all my attention to british football??? You dont know me at all.

My hole.

That is all.

You are wrong.

That is all.

• Advertisement

On a personal level i don't ignore Irish football but given the attitude of many LoI fans on here, i do understand why many do so.
    Attitude? What a load of ****. SPL fans sing songs about wanting you ethnically cleansed, we just think you are kinda a bunch of clowns and occasionally say so on a message board. Funny that the former doesnt put you off, but the latter might be enough to stop you supporting an entire nations (your nations) football league.

:rolleyes:

Seriously? You actually think that people were not disgusted by that?

eh? aiden and james are no way scottish. jesus christ you would with the recession and another forced emigration happening again think people would understand this, i'd nearly forgive ya for your ignorance during the celtic tiger ;) I'm a young lad out of college - are you telling me if i move to england with my girlfriend and have a couple kids they won't be irish? or that their kids won't be irish? or do you have to be born in the 26 to be your definition of irish :rolleyes:

regarding the second point, i read very little outrage from most posters on here regarding it despite it being a huge media story. it was mainly confined to hoops fans in the celtic thread if i recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm no Celtic fan, but I don't see a problem with them booing Rangers players at Ireland games. What's the problem? And yes, they know its an Ireland game, not Celtic. If they booed players based on religion, colour, or any illegal reason, then fair enough.
    The only pathetic thing here is uefa stepping in.

If a few rovers fans wanted to boo an opposition player that happened to play for Bohs, go ahead. I don't need uefa or self righteous fans telling me who I can or cannot boo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'm no Celtic fan, but I don't see a problem with them booing Rangers players at Ireland games. What's the problem? And yes, they know its an Ireland game, not Celtic. If they booed players based on religion, colour, or any illegal reason, then fair enough.
    The only pathetic thing here is uefa stepping in.

If a few rovers fans wanted to boo an opposition player that happened to play for Bohs, go ahead. I don't need uefa or self righteous fans telling me who I can or cannot boo.

TBF UEFA should be more worried about racism and violence etc then boos, but still think its stupid

indeed. the politically correct brigade will ruin football and any atmosphere very soon. so what if lafferty takes a bit of stick in may. i'm sure gibson and stokes will too. it'll probably motivate them to play better. it will sicken me to see paddy mccourt playin for the the six against us though i have to admit :pac:
    Paddy Mccourt is proud to play for his country.

Attitude? What a load of ****. SPL fans sing songs about wanting you ethnically cleansed,
    Yes the rangers fans sing songs telling the Irish and their descendants to go home, glad yu accept that.
    we just think you are kinda a bunch of clowns and occasionally say so on a message board.
    Who exactly are clowns?? You think i'm a clown?? Fair enough, i couldnt give a fcuk tbh
    Funny that the former doesnt put you off, but the latter might be enough to stop you supporting an entire nations (your nations) football league.:rolleyes:
    I dont get this i'm afraid. What 'former' doesnt put me off what? And where are you getting the idea that i dont support the LoI? Seriulsy wtf are you on about? I resent your remarks on that score.

in fairness, i love paddy and think he's a great player now, but he was never exactly at a high enough level to get a call up to play for the republic when he was at the making his mind up stage, same re niall mcginn.

eh? aiden and james are no way scottish. jesus christ you would with the recession and another forced emigration happening again think people would understand this, i'd nearly forgive ya for your ignorance during the celtic tiger ;) I'm a young lad out of college - are you telling me if i move to england with my girlfriend and have a couple kids they won't be irish? or that their kids won't be irish? or do you have to be born in the 26 to be your definition of irish :rolleyes:

Both McGeady and McCarthy, along with both their parents, were born in Scotland.

They grandparents were from Ireland.

If they were American and didn't play football, you would slag them off for saying they were Irish.

I don't really care but to say that all the abuse they got for not playing for the country of their birth was due to their religion is truly pathetic.

Both McGeady and McCarthy, along with both their parents, were born in Scotland.

They grandparents were from Ireland.

If they were American and didn't play football, you would slag them off for saying they were Irish.

I don't really care but to say that all the abuse they got for not playing for the country of their birth was due to their religion is truly pathetic.
    they grew up in essentially irish households. are you not allowed keep your identity alive after emmigrating? read up on the history of the irish who emigrated to scotland first please and then get back to me. it was not exactly a welcoming place.

the abuse was a result of their combination of being both irish and catholic - a potent combination in the west scotland heartland of the orange order and traditional anti-irish sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If Rangers supporters keep sending him (& McGinn) bullets, I'm sure he'll be forced to reconsider a la Neil Lennon.
    in fairness, i love paddy and think he's a great player now, but he was never exactly at a high enough level to get a call up to play for the republic when he was at the making his mind up stage, same re niall mcginn.

When exactly did McCourt consider playing for the Republic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

regarding the second point, i read very little outrage from most posters on here regarding it despite it being a huge media story. it was mainly confined to hoops fans in the celtic thread if i recall correctly.

Wow.

So, a player grows in Scotland, is educated in Scotland, trained in Scotland, makes his career in Scotland, his money in Scotland, his fans in Scotland, his life in Scotland.
    Yet Scottish fans arent allowed to be a little pissed off when he turn around and says, oh by the way i'm Irish?

I have no real issue with either player declaring for Ireland in all honesty, because i dont really give a toss about international football when it comes down to it, but i am sick to the back teeth of the victim complex that kicks up every time something something related to Ireland is criticised.

People can come on here and make huge generalisations about supporters of Scottish teams, and Scottish society in general yet when you try to argue that these generalisations are not exactly the whole story your are shot down with accusations of not being in touch with football culture, or even that ultimate of debating tools "my hole".

Seriously, its absolutely crazy the way some of you go on.

A thread is started on an internet forum regarding Irish fans booing Rangers players when playing for their country. Instead of discussing the rights and wrongs (if there really are any) of this situation, it quickly descends into a bitchfest regarding how they done so much bad stuff to us, wah wah ****ing wah.
    Its like listening to a couple of schoolkids shouting "he started it", it really is.

For the record, i couldnt give a toss if the Rangers players are booed against the Republic - fans arent supposed to make stadia welcoming for the opposition and will use whatever means possible.
    However if it happens in the game with N.I, - its just going to make people look bitter, and a little bit silly.

Dempsey wrote: »

When exactly did McCourt consider playing for the Republic?
    thats my point. i dont think he was ever playing at a high enough level when he was younger for it to be a option for him. it was either the north or nothing for him in international terms. and no footballer will turn down exposure at a high level oin fairness to the lad.

thats my point. i dont think he was ever playing at a high enough level when he was younger for it to be a option for him. it was either the north or nothing for him in international terms. and no footballer will turn down exposure at a high level oin fairness to the lad.

Or maybe he got a call up for his country and actually wanted to play for them?

Just a thought like.

Yes the rangers fans sing songs telling the Irish and their descendants to go home, glad yu accept that.
    I dont give a **** about Rangers or what their scummy fans sing unless we are playing them.
    I dont get this i'm afraid. What 'former' doesnt put me off what? And where are you getting the idea that i dont support the LoI? Seriulsy wtf are you on about? I resent your remarks on that score.
    Let me spell it out for you. SPL fans sing songs about you wanting you dead. This doesnt put you off the SPL. LOI fans say you should support your own league first, but you can see how this would put Irish people off supporting the LOI. Nonsense.

And lets not go down the road of pretending to be an LOI fan. Its plain to see who supports who on this forum.

And lets not go down the road of pretending to be an LOI fan. Its plain to see who supports who on this forum.

I don't know about that, I've been accused of being a Liverpool fan twice in the last couple of weeks.

Iago wrote: »
    I don't know about that, I've been accused of being a Liverpool fan twice in the last couple of weeks.
    Let me rephrase, its plain to see who are the LOI fans on this forum. Posting on LOI threads being an obvious pointer.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Wow.

So, a player grows in Scotland, is educated in Scotland, trained in Scotland, makes his career in Scotland, his money in Scotland, his fans in Scotland, his life in Scotland.
    Yet Scottish fans arent allowed to be a little pissed off when he turn around and says, oh by the way i'm Irish?
    I respect the right of the descendants of polish emigrants to ireland to maintain their language, culture and heritage and pass it down to their kids. scottish society seems unable to accept the right of irish people to do similar.

For the record, i couldnt give a toss if the Rangers players are booed against the Republic - fans arent supposed to make stadia welcoming for the opposition and will use whatever means possible.
    However if it happens in the game with N.I, - its just going to make people look bitter, and a little bit silly.

I agree. Going out of the way to boo a player in a match not involving ireland would be sad. Anyways I imagine the only players booed tonight will be the likes of scott brown and commons by the 6 county fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

McCourt was wanted by EPL clubs when he signed for Rochdale and he could have gotten himself an Irish passport at any time and declared himself "Irish". He chose to play for Northern Ireland. Your logic is absolute rubbish.

the abuse was a result of their combination of being both irish and catholic - a potent combination in the west scotland heartland of the orange order and traditional anti-irish sentiment.

Right, so the abuse they got for not playing for Scotland was purely sectarian while the abuse Stephen Ireland got for not playing for Ireland was born out of frustration that a good player had turned his back on his country.

Obviously. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I agree. Going out of the way to boo a player in a match not involving ireland would be sad. Anyways I imagine the only players booed tonight will be the likes of scott brown and commons by the 6 county fans.

Not sure about that, the Aberdeen Scotland fans gave a rather rousing rendition of "Go Home Ya Huns" last time the two countries met.

Identity issues are rife within Scotland, and its not just the Irish. ;)

Advertisement