Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers players in Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Did you actually read what i posted? It was the red hand of ulster salute. You seem to think hundreds of people who do it are Nazis which isn't the case. Must be a paranoid or Pareidolia thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dempsey wrote: »
    Still beats supporting a LOI club.
    How would you know? You just stick to your British football then. Spare us the nationalistic nonsense though, thx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Did you actually read what i posted? It was the red hand of ulster salute. You seem to think hundreds of people who do it are Nazis which isn't the case. Must be a paranoid or Pareidolia thing.

What does a red hand of ulster salute have to do with Rangers? Its a contradiction for them to use it given their history and background of the majority of supporters. It being a nazi salute actually makes more sense!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

im loving how ohnoyoudidnt is giving out about gers fans cos they seem to be full of hate and do hateful things and get away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

What is a red hand of Ulster salute? What is the history of it? Is it political in nature? Are there any examples of its use outside of Rangers fans?

Or put another way, pull the other one. Bells on it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

CiaranC wrote: »
    Oh ffs, I was talking directly to Dempsey. Its not obvious who any single poster would support without using the search function on this forum. People invent reasons to support clubs here all the time. They dont support teams from where they are from in the majority of cases.

You're still doing it. You obviously asked him which country he was supporting so that you could bring up the fact that Irish people support clubs from outside of Ireland. Sure you might try and fob it off as you just being interested in which nation he is supporting, but it is an obvious lie.

So lets cut to the chase, lots of Irish people support non Irish clubs and you don't like that. We get it.

What does a red hand of ulster salute have to do with Rangers? Its a contradiction for them to use it given their history and background of the majority of supporters. It being a nazi salute actually makes more sense!
    Rangers FC is a PROUD Scottish and British institution. Rangers fans in general support the British armed forces. A support base which is told of historical stories down the years involving WW1 and WW2. WW2 being a good example, in Scottish guys going off to fight the Nazis in the British army and you actually think people who do the Ulster salute are Nazis because it looks like the Nazi salute.

I don't know many Unionists who actually do it when im among them, say the 12th or what not but that isn't the point.

A lack of logic is what is going on here.

How would you know? You just stick to your British football then. Spare us the nationalistic nonsense though, thx.

You're right, I'll never know. If there ever is a case for me going to see a LOI match in the flesh, i'll think of the likes of you and get out of it. Your attitude towards others supporters actually only does damage to any argument for supporting LOI clubs.

I can have nationalist views and support a British club. Being a nationalist isnt all about hating British and boycotting anything that pays taxes to the British government. I'm not as narrow minded as you.

What is a red hand of Ulster salute? What is the history of it? Is it political in nature? Are there any examples of its use outside of Rangers fans?

Or put another way, pull the other one. Bells on it etc.
    Anyone can do it. Not many Unionists actually do it. It does happen and that is what that picture is. But to say hundreds of Rangers FC fans are Nazis and are doing the Nazi salute is just crazy. Would not make any sense at all with the culture and traditions they believe in. Which would not be Nazism.

Yet (and this isn't me saying Celtic support the IRA or those people beside that idiot support the IRA), we have a guy clearly holding a banner with IRA on it. There is a logic to that. It all has links to it. Republican nationalist who believes in the IRA cause.

Pro. F wrote: »
    So lets cut to the chase, lots of Irish people support non Irish clubs and you don't like that. We get it.
    Im am curious as to the mentality of someone who applies the logic of "Ill support Ireland because I am from there" to the national side but doesnt apply the same rationale to club football. There is no great conspiracy involved, get over yourself.

• Advertisement

Rangers FC is a PROUD Scottish and British institution. Rangers fans in general support the British armed forces. A support base which is told of historical stories down the years involving WW1 and WW2. WW2 being a good example, in Scottish guys going off to fight the Nazis in the British army and you actually think people who do the Ulster salute are Nazis because it looks like the Nazi salute.

I don't know many Unionists who actually do it when im among them, say the 12th or what not but that isn't the point.

This would be the same Rangers who got all their players, staff and sponsors jobs in the shipyards during WW2? More Celtic players died in the war, so spare us.

Its a Nazi salute. You have some right wing headbangers in your club. the BNP and C18 openly sell papers in Ibrox's shadow and your fans are at the heard of the SDL.

Of course all Rangers fans aren't Nazi's, but the ordinary decent Rangers fans never seem to stand up and be counted. Now why is that?

The last bit was a joke but given that you say the bolded, explain to me why Rangers use the red hand of ulster salute when its a clear contradiction to what they are proud of.

Either way the use of 'the salute' by Rangers in Israel should be a huge source of embarrassment for the club yet they havent punished anyone for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So they go and find a club in a different country and claim that as their 'own'.

Does not compute.
    What?? I was simply pointing out that a big problem for the LoI is that many football fans in a particular area do not feel any affinity for their 'own' local club. I didnt mention anything about them supporting clubs in other countries.

Anyone can do it. Not many Unionists actually do it. It does happen and that is what that picture is. But to say hundreds of Rangers FC fans are Nazis and are doing the Nazi salute is just crazy. Would not make any sense at all with the culture and traditions they believe in. Which would not be Nazism.

Stop. Rewind. WHAT is a red hand salute? WHO originated it? WHAT group / movement 'own' it? WHY are Rangers fans doing it in Israel?

Yet (and this isn't me saying Celtic support the IRA or those people beside that idiot support the IRA), we have a guy clearly holding a banner with IRA on it. There is a logic to that. It all has links to it. Republican nationalist who believes in the IRA cause.

We aren't disputing they exist, unlike you with Rangers and the far right. We are saying ITS NOT TOLERATED BY THE CLUB. Thats a key and fundamental difference.

This would be the same Rangers who got all their players, staff and sponsors jobs in the shipyards during WW2? More Celtic players died in the war, so spare us.

Its a Nazi salute. You have some right wing headbangers in your club. the BNP and C18 openly sell papers in Ibrox's shadow and your fans are at the heard of the SDL.

Of course all Rangers fans aren't Nazi's, but the ordinary decent Rangers fans never seem to stand up and be counted. Now why is that?
    You can't convince some one who is paranoid and is lacking logic in his argument.

What are you on about regarding Rangers players and WW2? What has that got to do with anything? Every support has people with extreme views. Celtic has followers who supported the PIRA and also support the RIRA. Don't tar all Celtic fans with that brush though.

The last bit was a joke but given that you say the bolded, explain to me why Rangers use the red hand of ulster salute when its a clear contradiction to what they are proud of.

Either way the use of 'the salute' by Rangers in Israel should be a huge source of embarrassment for the club yet they havent punished anyone for it.
    I know Rangers fans with a Unionist ideology who were embarrassed by it because that isn't a big tradition at all amongst fellow loyalists to do that.

Stop. Rewind. WHAT is a red hand salute? WHO originated it? WHAT group / movement 'own' it? WHY are Rangers fans doing it in Israel?

We aren't disputing they exist, unlike you with Rangers and the far right. We are saying ITS NOT TOLERATED BY THE CLUB. Thats a key and fundamental difference.
    How am i supposed to know who originated it? Like i have said, its not a big loyalist tradition to do the Red hand of Ulster salute. Its not something which thousands of loyalists do every 12th of July but YOU DO get people out there who do it.

I know Rangers fans with a Unionist ideology who were embarrassed by it because that isn't a big tradition at all amongst fellow loyalists to do that.

Big Tradition? What do you think the Red Hand of Ulster salute actually signifies?

How am i supposed to know who originated it? Like i have said, its not a big loyalist tradition to do the Red hand of Ulster salute. Its not something which thousands of loyalists do every 12th of July but YOU DO get people out there who do it.

Keith. There is NO such thing as a 'Red Hand Salute'. The only time it has been 'used' is by Rangers fans when they play Celtic, Hibs or Israeli sides.

• Advertisement

Keith. There is NO such thing as a 'Red Hand Salute'. The only time it has been 'used' is by Rangers fans when they play Celtic, Hibs or Israeli sides.
    Yes there is. That is what they are doing in that picture. Its not a Nazi salute. Lets not go on planet crazy please.

You can't convince some one who is paranoid and is lacking logic in his argument.

What are you on about regarding Rangers players and WW2? What has that got to do with anything? Every support has people with extreme views. Celtic has followers who supported the PIRA and also support the RIRA. Don't tar all Celtic fans with that brush though.

You brought it up to 'prove' Rangers fans couldn't be Nazi symapathisers.

Billy hid in the shipyards in WW2.

Yes there is. That is what they are doing in that picture. Its not a Nazi salute. Lets not go on planet crazy please.
    Red hand salute my arse. Can you show us somewhere this is actually documented as a real thing instead of just some invention of embarrassed Rangers fans?

I'm not the one on planet crazy here.

The pictures tell a clear story. You are claiming its a 'salute' used by unionists. Surely you can find one reference to it, one picture that isn't Rangers fans in Israel or wherever?

Good for you. To most of us thats symptomatic of the fact that rivalries based on a British civil servents pen strokes aren't really rivalries in the way football ones based on politics, religion, class etc are.

Really? Outside of Dublin, in my experience, fans of league clubs support them mainly because of the actions of British civil servents pen strokes. Certainly is the case with Sligo, Galway, Longford etc or would you deny that?
    You prefer the peace and love element of the Gah. Good for you. I prefer the white hot atmosphere of a derby and not having to share space with the black and tans. Good for me.

Peace and love of the GAA? Hah, just because we dont have to be segregated and don't have schoolboys and young men that should know better trying to ape hooliganism in oither leagues they may have seen on TV. As for white hot derbies in the loi, how many are there? Sham Rovers/Bohs/Pats i accept and probably Louth.

You brought it up to 'prove' Rangers fans couldn't be Nazi symapathisers.

Billy hid in the shipyards in WW2.
    Don't know what is worse, using such bigoted language or spouting lies.
    Red hand salute my arse. Can you show us somewhere this is actually documented as a real thing instead of just some invention of embarrassed Rangers fans?
    Did you read what i posted? I said ITS NOT a big thing amongst loyalists at all. That isn't the point. The point is those fans in that stand, (hundreds of them) are TRYING to replicate the Ulster red hand salute. Its not a Nazi salute.
    I'm not the one on planet crazy here.

The pictures tell a clear story. You are claiming its a 'salute' used by unionists. Surely you can find one reference to it, one picture that isn't Rangers fans in Israel or wherever?
    I don't know why i bother sometimes. Please read the post. I said its not a big thing amongst the loyalist people and i have rarely ever seen it but it obviously happens as that picture shows.

Here is another picture of it. I use logic and facts.

o9k6ix.jpg

So lets get back to reality folks and lets get off crazy planet.

• Advertisement

One thing we can agree on :pac:

The red hand seen on Ulster flags was actually a symbol used by the O'Neill clan in the 9 year war against English/Tudor control.

The O'Neills had a war cry "Lámh Dhearg Abú!", "Red Hand to victory!".

What Rangers fans think they are doing is beyond any understanding

Really? Outside of Dublin, in my experience, fans of league clubs support them mainly because of the actions of British civil servents pen strokes. Certainly is the case with Sligo, Galway, Longford etc or would you deny that?

I have no idea what that means, it doesn't read too good.

The point I am making is that there is nothing intrinsically more gentlemanly about Gah fans. The nature of the rivalries are different.
    Peace and love of the GAA? Hah, just because we dont have to be segregated and don't have schoolboys and young men that should know better trying to ape hooliganism in oither leagues they may have seen on TV. As for white hot derbies in the loi, how many are there? Sham Rovers/Bohs/Pats i accept and probably Louth.

Get back to me when a referee, players and a sick former manager of a team gets whacked by a pitch invader in a major football cup final in Ireland. Or when a fan walks onto the pitch with a plank of wood and brains a referee. And get away with it too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'm not particularly a fan of this gesture no matter what twist you put on it, however i would just like to add something that will maybe cut through the propoganda a little bit.

UEFA dropped all charges against Rangers regarding the gesture after an investigation into the reports from Israel.

Take that as you will. I'm sure you'll all have some sort of answer for it.

The point is those fans in that stand, (hundreds of them) are TRYING to replicate the Ulster red hand salute.
    Theres no such thing as an "Ulster red hand salute".

Which arm is this mythical salute made with by the way? The lads in your picture seem unsure.

Did you read what i posted? I said ITS NOT a big thing amongst loyalists at all. That isn't the point. The point is those fans in that stand, (hundreds of them) are TRYING to replicate the Ulster red hand salute. Its not a Nazi salute. .

WHAT IS AN ULSTER RED HAND SALUTE?

Does it pre or post date the identical fascist salutes of the 1930's?

• Advertisement

Theres no such thing as an "Ulster red hand salute".

Which arm is this mythical salute made with by the way? The lads in your picture seem unsure.
    Again, read my posts. They are trying to replicate it. They aren't Nazis. Hopefully we will get off planet crazy soon.

WHAT IS AN ULSTER RED HAND SALUTE?

Does it pre or post date the identical fascist salutes of the 1930's?
    Exactly what you are seeing in those pictures. Lads TRYING to replicate the stance of the Red hand of Ulster.

Such hand signals date way further back than the typical Nazi salute. The Romans used a similar such hand salute with their ideology.

I have no idea what that means, it doesn't read too good.

Really?? So what do you mean by this....
    rivalries based on a British civil servents pen strokes aren't really rivalries in the way football ones based on politics, religion, class etc are.

Do you not accept that many people in Counites Galway, Sligo, Cork etc will have an affection and an affinity for the lcoal loi club purely because they are from that county?

KeithAFC wrote:
    Exactly what you are seeing in those pictures. Lads TRYING to replicate the stance of the Red hand of Ulster.
    Ah I see they are trying to replicate an Ulster red hand salute, despite the fact that it doesn't actually exist. Perfectly clear, in a pythonesque kind of way.

I think the truth is that there are a fair bunch of idiots following Rangers, as there are with all clubs, and that these are not necessarily a reflection of the all Rangers supporters or indeed of all unionists.

I think its pretty disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

Ah I see they are trying to replicate an Ulster red hand salute, despite the fact that it doesn't actually exist. Perfectly clear, in a pythonesque kind of way.

I think the truth is that there are a fair bunch of idiots following Rangers, as there are with all clubs, and that these are not necessarily a reflection of the all Rangers supporters or indeed of all unionists.

I think its pretty disingenuous to pretend otherwise.
    No one said there wasn't idiots who followed Rangers or Celtic or any other club. Of course there is. What i post against is propaganda and people trying to make a picture out to be something it isn't.

That is what the last few pages have been about. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Such hand signals date way further back than the typical Nazi salute. The Romans used a similar such hand salute with their ideology.

Ahh now Keith, this is certainly a stretch, Rangers fans have been known to use the Nazi salute for many years now. There certainly is no such thing as a Red hand salute. Would it be so difficult to admit there is a section of bigots and idiots in the Rangers support, just like the same exist on the Celtic side.

It's like members of the EDL who use the one arm salute, it's neo-nazi and has nothing to do with Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Red hand of Ulster salutes???? Are you serious?

Why have I never seen Rangers fans do that before or since then?

There's a reason people call them fans Scotlands Shame.

karma_ wrote: »
    Ahh now Keith, this is certainly a stretch, Rangers fans have been known to use the Nazi salute for many years now. There certainly is no such thing as a Red hand salute. Would it be so difficult to admit there is a section of bigots and idiots in the Rangers support, just like the same exist on the Celtic side.

It's like members of the EDL who use the one arm salute, it's neo-nazi and has nothing to do with Ulster.
    I posted a similar picture of a similar salute with a black guy amongst them doing it. They aren't Neo Nazis.

Of course there is racists in football and racists who follow Rangers but the same can be said with nearly every club. You always get people with radical views. But that picture isn't a picture of Nazi salutes.

d.anthony wrote: »
    Red hand of Ulster salutes???? Are you serious?

Why have I never seen Rangers fans do that before or since then?

There's a reason people call them fans Scotlands Shame.
    Is that not a term used about Celtic? Seen it used before.

I posted a similar picture of a similar salute with a black guy amongst them doing it. They aren't Neo Nazis.

Of course there is racists in football and racists who follow Rangers but the same can be said with nearly every club. You always get people with radical views. But that picture isn't a picture of Nazi salutes.

Keith, the very site you took that picture off has an article that destroys the myth that this is a 'Red Hand Salute', written by a Rangers supporter.

The one arm salute started at Chelsea in the early 80's with the Chelsea bootboys and headhunters, who had strong links to Combat18 and the NF. There were links to Rangers supporter groups in those days and this is how the one-arm salute began to be made by Rangers fans.

Stop trying to obscure the issue and accept it's a problem.

• Advertisement

karma_ wrote: »
    Keith, the very site you took that picture off has an article that destroys the myth that this is a 'Red Hand Salute', written by a Rangers supporter.

The one arm salute started at Chelsea in the early 80's with the Chelsea bootboys and headhunters, who had strong links to Combat18 and the NF. There were links to Rangers supporter groups in those days and this is how the one-arm salute began to be made by Rangers fans.

Stop trying to obscure the issue and accept it's a problem.
    I didn't take that picture with the black lad in it from any article. Its pretty clear what it is. It isn't a Nazi salute.

From a Rangers man and maybe Keith should read it
    Rule Britannia, Britannia Rules the waves, Britons’ Never Never Shall Be Slaves

They wont be slaves and rightly so. Brits, and Rangers fans in particular, should ‘never never’ be pro Nazi. The ignorant and uneducated fans who continue to taint the good name of Rangers by carrying out Nazi Salutes should be ashamed of themselves.

“Ahh, but its no a Nazi salute, it’s the red hand salute”

No its not, the red hand salute is non existent, and it pains me to say it, but the red hand salute is merely a symbol which fans embarrassingly hid behind to condone the support of Neo-Nazis within Britain’s shore. It's first appearance at Ibrox (I believe) in the 80's, coinciding with the introductionof the extreme right wing "Chelsea bootboys'" unofficial friendship with Rangers.
    Terry Last, a soccer hooligan and a leading figure of both the head-hunters and the National Front, also played a role in the rise of this disgusting symbol and dragged England's national support to an all time low when he was pictured displaying the salute whilst "on tour" with England not long before his arrest and imprisonment in connection with his hooligan activities.
    Following his trial Last was labelled "Little Hitler of the Soccer Thugs" by the English media.

Rangers Fans were recently up in arms when Celtic's Stephen Pearson clearly chanted IRA at a social function in Ireland whilst on club duty, we know he did it, and the media do too. We criticise the media for being one sided, well now its time to face facts – the Rangers support need to rid themselves of this disgusting salute, let's worry about our own house before we try and put others’ in order.
    "People in glass houses should not throw stones"
    If you see anyone, intentionally or unintentionally, contributing to the use of Nazi salutes within Ibrox, or any other ground where Rangers fans’ are in attendance, do the right thing and politely question why, within Britain’s’ shores’ are they saluting and displaying support for one of the most evil dictatorships in world history, that had they achieved there goal, would have destroyed Great Britain, a union which is sacred to many within our own support. Most probably, their reply will be, its not a Nazi salute, it’s a Red Hand. It's time to educate the uneducated, make it clear to the idiots that this mythical Red Hand Salute does not exist and it has no place amoungst a Rangers support that we are extremely proud of.
    To ignore this, is to others- who need no encouragement to attack us an indication that we condone support for a regime similar to those which our current leaders are trying to rid the world of in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If they won’t take your word for it, tell them to ask an Ulsterman about a Red Hand salute – they probably won’t know anything about it, because frankly, there isn’t one. If that’s not possible tell them to go along a memorial service in November and to give their Red Hand Salute at the cenotaph, let them explain then that its not a Nazi Salute.

Worryingly this salute is becoming more and more evident within the younger bears. It is your duty, as a Rangers Fan to spread the word and protect our image which has been subjected to repeated and concentrated defamatory attacks from the media and anti sectarian organisations.
    By all means possible fight for our reputation and challenge the unreported sectarian behaviour and pro terrorist songs from our rivals, but do so if you are sure that your own conscience is clear of any potential damage you have or will cause to your club and fellow supporters' reputation as you do so.

Remember - WE ARE THE PEOPLE , it is every one of our duties to keep it so

They arent Rangers fans either, they are Chelsea. Dont tell the Irish Chelsea fans about this btw, it winds them up no-end.
    What you are saying is true and you could drag up pictures of any clubs fans doing stupid things, but I find it hard to believe that all those fellows standing in Israel with their right hand in the air dont know the connotations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Is that not a term used about Celtic? Seen it used before.

Nope, definitely Rangers.

Yano after the Manchester thing, the Villarreal thing, getting hammered by UEFA for singing bigoted songs...

So yeh, Scotlands Shame would be Rangers. Probably used for them as early as the early '70's, when they were the only club in history that had to be presented with a European trophy in the dressing room because of violent, thuggish fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Jesus this thread is really getting out of hand....

(See what I did there?) :o

Jesus this thread is really getting out of hand....

(See what I did there?) :o

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOO!

See what I did there!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

why oh why people actually take what keith says seriously i will never know, he is a wind up merchant. just look at his previous posts, its comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Im am curious as to the mentality of someone who applies the logic of "Ill support Ireland because I am from there" to the national side but doesnt apply the same rationale to club football. There is no great conspiracy involved, get over yourself.

Yes I know that you are curious about that and I know that you want to bring it up and discuss it. LOI fanboys bang on about it endlessly around here.

So when I said this:
    It is obvious that the majority on here who support any national team support the Irish one. You are just pretending to be ignorant of it so you can bang LOI drum some more.
    I was right.

And when you said this:
    What do you mean why? I was wondering who youd be supporting in the tournament, thats all.
    You were lying.

flas wrote: »
    why oh why people actually take what keith says seriously i will never know, he is a wind up merchant. just look at his previous posts, its comical.
    Allow people with logical opinions please.

• Advertisement

Yes I know that you are curious about that and I know that you want to bring it up and discuss it. LOI fanboys bang on about it endlessly around here.

So when I said this:

I was right.

And when you said this:

You were lying.
    Well done sherlock youve solved the internet

youre like the barstooler version of Freddie from Scooby Doo

Advertisement