Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poker ucd?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I was wondering if there was a poker society or something like that in ucd? anyone know? would be sweet to be able to play in somethin like that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Theres no Poker Soc, Gamesoc were running regular poker nights last semester, and some other socs have run poker nights at some points - Physics soc did one in Rag Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I was running the Gamesoc poker nights this year but there wasn't much interest so it'll be every couple of weeks on a Wednesday.Go to www.Ucdgamesoc.com to find out when they are on

-Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I was running the Gamesoc poker nights this year but there wasn't much interest so it'll be every couple of weeks on a Wednesday.Go to www.Ucdgamesoc.com to find out when they are on

-Alan

Yeh - don't attempt to run them on Tuesdays. Every society and club use that night as their main activity night.

Also, if you want turnout, try advertising the poker specifically.

Finally, a good place to play it is a god-send. Literally. Don't know why the college authorities insist on making it unnecessarily to book rooms, but they do. Cafe Brava can be a bit bleak and cold in winter.

P.S. Ensure that the rules are clear and sensible concerning buy-ins and re-buys. Having one euro re-buys, for instance, makes little sense when the buy-in is 5 euro. Oh, and not starting because some people might or might not turn up - or turning away people because it would be annoying to split the tables.

Sorry for the info-dump! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I would imagine there isn't a large interest due to the fact that cash prizes are not allowed (that is still the case, right?).

If it is, I wonder whether it would be possible to organise a proper poker night (with cash prizes), off-campus, to circumnavigate Mr. Butler's decision?

It might get more of an interest that way...

Honestly, I really don't see why the cash thing is such a big deal - they give you any voucher you request, so you can just request either the dundrum or dublin city gift cards, which are just pre-loaded mastercards. Anything you can get with a credit card, you can get with one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Why is there no cash prizes? So people are paying in cash and getting useless vouchers in return?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Why is there no cash prizes? So people are paying in cash and getting useless vouchers in return?

The vouchers aren't useless. And I heard the reason that the cash games were stopped was because some idiot bet his rent money and lost big. I have no idea if thats true or not its just a rumour I heard.

Because college societies are prohibited from giving out cash prizes. See previous post re: "useless vouchers"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Raphael wrote: »
    Honestly, I really don't see why the cash thing is such a big deal - they give you any voucher you request, so you can just request either the dundrum or dublin city gift cards, which are just pre-loaded mastercards. Anything you can get with a credit card, you can get with one of those.

Some people (well me anyway) wouldn't necessarily want to spend winnings. Personally I would prefer to keep any winnings in my bank roll, or save it if it was a large win, rather than spend it.

I do believe Butler got rid of cash winnings because he was afraid of people betting more than they could afford. Haven't heard that story about the guy betting his rent, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gorrillafrier

In fairness everyone is adults in college and its up to them if the want to bet there rent etc. If poker soc. was formed , society betting rules could be set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

just to address what's been brought up;
    We can't give cash prizes[no society can] for the events it's just how the rules are,if you want to organise one off campus don't do it through a society as the rules are there for a reason and I doubt Butler likes to be made a joke of,believe me not a guy you want to see pissed off.

Also,the reason Gamesoc had to change the prize rules were;because of large turnouts ~40 a night I think,the pots were getting pretty big 200+ at times and thus were attracting some "professional" poker players or card sharks and the gambling problems that can come up if people go to far in etc. so it's just easier to work it if we go with vouchers, they're as good as cash. I usually gave one-for-all vouchers as almost everywhere takes them,but I did get some preferences[one guy wanted Argos specifically for example]

This still only anecdotal and is second hand to me even so,take it with a pinch of salt as well

They were on Tuesdays as it suited me and the weekly Gamesoc events as for advertising,I posted here 2-3 times about them,postered for every week it was running and spread the word in every email the society sent.If you haven't heard about it,I'm sorry but I tried.
    I'll post here next time we're organising a Poker night and if you are in Gamesoc it'll be in the newsletter and postered on the concourse,I don't know what else I can do for ye

-Alan

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Some people (well me anyway) wouldn't necessarily want to spend winnings. Personally I would prefer to keep any winnings in my bank roll, or save it if it was a large win, rather than spend it.

I do believe Butler got rid of cash winnings because he was afraid of people betting more than they could afford. Haven't heard that story about the guy betting his rent, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth in there.
    Step 1) Request Dundrum Voucher
    Step 2) Set up paypal account
    Step 3) Connect bank account to paypal account
    Step 4) Use Dundrum Voucher to make payment of its full value to paypal account
    Step 5) Transfer funds from paypal account to bank account.

Voila, money. Or you could just use the dundrum voucher do your grocery shopping in tesco for a few weeks and save up the money you were going to use for that.

Raphael wrote: »
    Because college societies are prohibited from giving out cash prizes. See previous post re: "useless vouchers"

Personally I think the voucher system is fine.

However, the manner in which societies are treated by the college is a joke!

Prohibition of anything relating to alcohol, sex, etc and an absolute nightmare in terms of being able to get a space to use (and even then you get chucked out at 10pm no matter what). Of course, societies can't even be set up unless they get the personal approval of Butler (who represents students, but is not elected by students, naturally).

The fact is that Butler doesn't like gambling so a specific poker soc is never likely to be established, and when poker is part of a already extant society it will be curtailed in some way or another.

just to address what's been brought up;
    We can't give cash prizes[no society can] for the events it's just how the rules are,if you want to organise one off campus don't do it through a society as the rules are there for a reason and I doubt Butler likes to be made a joke of,believe me not a guy you want to see pissed off.

Also,the reason Gamesoc had to change the prize rules were;because of large turnouts ~40 a night I think,the pots were getting pretty big 200+ at times and thus were attracting some "professional" poker players or card sharks and the gambling problems that can come up if people go to far in etc. so it's just easier to work it if we go with vouchers, they're as good as cash. I usually gave one-for-all vouchers as almost everywhere takes them,but I did get some preferences[one guy wanted Argos specifically for example]

This still only anecdotal and is second hand to me even so,take it with a pinch of salt as well

They were on Tuesdays as it suited me and the weekly Gamesoc events as for advertising,I posted here 2-3 times about them,postered for every week it was running and spread the word in every email the society sent.If you haven't heard about it,I'm sorry but I tried.
    I'll post here next time we're organising a Poker night and if you are in Gamesoc it'll be in the newsletter and postered on the concourse,I don't know what else I can do for ye

-Alan

Just note that any black and white A4 poster that just mentions the poker evening as an addendum is likely to get over-looked and Tuesdays really are a death-match between the societies and clubs (all indoor clubs use Tuesdays as their main training evening ... such as Mountaineering, Trampolining, Fencing, etc) and societies such as Philsoc, English Soc, etc. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14 theseal

Out of curiosity how many players was the gamesoc poker events getting when they were offering voucher prizes?

The fact is that Butler doesn't like gambling so a specific poker soc is never likely to be established, and when poker is part of a already extant society it will be curtailed in some way or another.

There was in the past a specific poker society. It stopped existing back when I was in 2nd year or so. The story I heard was that Richard asked to audit their accounts, and they didn't have any, so they got shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Surely the rules can be bent for poker? It's a game based solely on winning money, no one's asking for thousands of euro but a 50-100 cash prize shouldn't be a problem, sure it's no wonder there's no interest in it.

Given that the rule was explicitly put in place for Poker, I doubt it could be "bent".

Advertisement