Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting in Galway City

Options
  • 08-02-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I just found out I have some work on the 25th - the day of voting. I'll still be in Galway County, but not in the City, where my normal polling station is, and no way to make it back in time to vote. I can't seem to find straightforward info about postal voting, that gives me a definite answer. One site says I needed to apply a week ago. I just found out about the work, and in these times, need to take it.

Anyone have experience of this? Would there be any way I could vote in another Galway (county) area, though I am a city resident. The vote is important to me, and so is the days work!:(
    Thanks!

I'd be happy to have a friend do it, but the proxy vote option (not sure if there is one) is probably past too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My understanding is that you can ONLY vote in your assigned polling both, and there was something in one of last weeks newspapers about the last day for postal-vote registrations being about then.

'Tis madness, IMHO: I've done election-day work in a country with a similar sized population where you can vote at ANY polling booth - there are simple-but-effective procedures for detecting attemted double-voting, so it simply doesn't happen.

I think the voting hours are quite long ... there may even be some legislation that says employers have to give you time off to vote ... but I do understand about the challenges though, and the fact that you want to do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I think votings open til 10 if you can make it back after work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mike Cubbard

Postal voting applications had to be in last week.

Polls open at 7am so you might get to vote befor work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks folks, alas I am gone from Thurs night, and no way of getting back by poll close. This is freelance too, so no employer per se to give out about :o

inisboffin wrote: »
    Thanks folks, alas I am gone from Thurs night, and no way of getting back by poll close. This is freelance too, so no employer per se to give out about :o

rental car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Don't drive and I'll be on an island :/

Private helicopter, so! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    Private helicopter, so! :D
    Plenty of em going cheap around the banks repo yards these days. I gather Stradbally East on the weekends no longer resembles the Fall of Saigon.

Advertisement