Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions(starting off)

Options
  • 08-02-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Brno .22
    health & safety
    safe?
    Hello, so I am thinking of starting out in the shooting sport.
    I have been out to courtlough a few times to do the clay pigeon shooting & the rifle, I am interested in gettting one myself
    First things first, the 2009 act that came in, I may want a .22 rifle bolt action for starting off.
    maybe the CZ 452 - 2E ZKM LUX. anyone have any opnions?
    About the storage.. I am currently living in an appartment so does this rifle go down as a restricted rifle, so I'd need a gun safe drilled to a solid structure, this may be possible in were the hotpress is.. is the only solid wall in the place(can't go drilling as I dont own the appartment)
    So if the safe thing doesn't go I may have to go for a shotgun..
    The closest club to me seems to be BRC shooting club, how are new people welcomed there? am I welcome to go up to watch for a few visits, do I apply for membership before the licence?
    Do I have to pay the fee when I apply my licence, or when I have been granted?
    Is there many health & safety courses to be done?
    I would be intested in target pratice, and maybe the hunting of crows etc. with some land owners permission..
    If I put a deposit on a gun & get refused the licence, Do I get my deposit back?
    Just a few questions I've been searching for
    thanks in advnace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Rootbeer wrote: »
    Brno .22
    health & safety
    safe?
    Hello, so I am thinking of starting out in the shooting sport.
    I have been out to courtlough a few times to do the clay pigeon shooting & the rifle, I am interested in gettting one myself
    First things first, the 2009 act that came in, I may want a .22 rifle bolt action for starting off.
    maybe the CZ 452 - 2E ZKM LUX. anyone have any opnions?
    About the storage.. I am currently living in an appartment so does this rifle go down as a restricted rifle, so I'd need a gun safe drilled to a solid structure, this may be possible in were the hotpress is.. is the only solid wall in the place(can't go drilling as I dont own the appartment)
    The closest club to me seems to be BRC shooting club, how are new people welcomed there? am I welcome to go up to watch for a few visits, do I apply for membership before the licence?
    I would be intested in target pratice, and maybe the hunting of crows etc. with some land owners permission..
    If I put a deposit on a gun & get refused the licence, Do I get my deposit back?
    Just a few questions I've been searching for
    thanks in advnace

.22 not restricted

The thing *I see you having an issue with is a rented apartment.
    As the landlord has access to it, never-mind other previous tenants with keys etc.
    Could you store it in your parents address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rootbeer

Ok, thats good enough news, I highly doubt the parents would be confortable with it being stored in their home, myabe bit of a convincing of storing it in the attic in a safe drilled to the wall.
    or maybe in the shed in the back in the safe on the wall(maybe that wouldn't be too good idea though)
    on the app form it has
    "address of usual address(m)"
    "address of secondary residence if relevant(c)"
    not sure what the c & m mean,
    my parents home is about1 mile from were I am located(walkingstown)
    maybe I could put parents home in as 2nd address?
    so from what caliber upwards is restricted?
    Would buying a 2nd hand gun be waisting a sellers time(waiting for licence to be approved?)

Ok, thats good enough news, I highly doubt the parents would be confortable with it being stored in their home, myabe bit of a convincing of storing it in the attic in a safe drilled to the wall.
    or maybe in the shed in the back in the safe on the wall(maybe that wouldn't be too good idea though)
    on the app form it has
    "address of usual address(m)" Well if you are only "renting" Your Parents is your usual address
    "address of secondary residence if relevant(c)" Your rented address is your secondary address
    not sure what the c & m mean,
    my parents home is about1 mile from were I am located(walkingstown)
    maybe I could put parents home in as 2nd address?
    so from what caliber upwards is restricted?Any Calibre above .3 or 7.62mm is restricted However first licence is usually .22 or a .22 variant
    Would buying a 2nd hand gun be waisting a sellers time(waiting for licence to be approved?)

Most first timers buy second hand and trade up later.
    Buying off a RFD is a safer way to do so, unless you are personally known to the seller.

The attic in your folks house is Ideal location if they are amenable.
    Make sure you get a de-humidifer as if the attic is cold your rifle may rust due to condensation (chimney stack hot/Attic Cold)

http://www.safes.ie/brand_guncabnet.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome aboard.
    First things first, the 2009 act that came in, I may want a .22 rifle bolt action for starting off. Maybe the CZ 452 - 2E ZKM LUX. anyone have any opnions?

Cracking first gun. Cheap, cheerful and as accurate as most any other .22lr even those twice the price.
    About the storage.. I am currently living in an appartment so does this rifle go down as a restricted rifle...........

The accomodation you have does not make the firearm restricted or not. Only the make up of the firearm can classify it as restricted or not. The classification of restricted or not can have an effect on your home security setup, but at the end of the day it is down to the Super to determine the level of security measures hyou will have to get.
    .........., so I'd need a gun safe drilled to a solid structure, this may be possible in were the hotpress is.. is the only solid wall in the place(can't go drilling as I dont own the appartment)

This issue has come up many times before so here is my advice. Drill the wall and mount the safe. When leaving or moving remove the safe, rawl plugs and fix the wall with a filler. Its only a few holes and not major reconditioning. There is the other option of stioring the firearms at your parents home, but that needs written permission from them to allow this and even then your Super may not allow this. It could work, but you need to know that the Super has the final say.

Once again though, even though the law says the "minimum" security for a shotgun is that it be broken down, stored seperately and have a trigger lock your Super can demand a safe, and will not issue the license until this is fulfilled.
    The closest club to me seems to be BRC shooting club, how are new people welcomed there? am I welcome to go up to watch for a few visits,............

I cannot speak for BRC, but i cannot foresee any problems with you going ip for a look-see. Most clubs welcome new members and even visitors that are simply curious. Why not ring ahead just to be clear.
    ...........do I apply for membership before the licence?

In order to apply for your license you will need land ownership to hunt or membership to an authorised range. You will nedd this before applying as it quantifies your "good reason" for wanting the firearm. Clubs will ask for membership fees upfront.

As for the license you get the grant letter, pay at the post office and then get the license through the post a few days later. You will not get the license until you pay and priduce the grant letter, and if not paid for within 30 days of the grant letter it expires and you have to re-apply/re-ssue the grant letter.

Yes. If it is your first firearm you will have to a safety (basic handling) course. It takes about 3 hours and covers shotguns/rifles and usually includes a years insurance with some clubs. info can be gotten from the MNSCI or NARGC website.

Yes. You should get it back, but if you are unsure speak to your gun dealer and confirm that if refused the deposit is refused. The only time i have seen this happen where the buyer did not get his deposit back was when he had the dealer import a firearm before he got the license. When he was refussed the dealer had to return the firearm and used the despoit to cover this cost.

Hope that answers your questions. Any others feel free to ask.

Ez.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Well they recently got ther attic insulated, so there is excessive moisture up there, a lot of damp dripping off the walls so it may not be that good of a spot at all.
    I may take a visit over to the rod & gun tallaght & see whats on offer, I am setting myself a budget of no more than 700-800 total. though most 2nd gun do't drop much in value so I would not like to waiste a sellers time.
    About the licence form, do I have to be in a club for the licence? it specificly asks that question. I may be able to get a friend of a friend who has a bit of land who can sign that he will give permission to be on his land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Well they recently got ther attic insulated, so there is excessive moisture up there, a lot of damp dripping off the walls

:eek:

Would dearly love to comment on that - but I'd be so far off topic as to be heading into ban-land!:o
    I may take a visit over to the rod & gun tallaght & see whats on offer

Would dearly love to comment on that - but I'd be so far on topic as to be heading into ban-land!:D

Seriously, check out a wider range of dealers - there are plenty out there. Two I can personally recommend are:

Stakelums (Sean Harding) in Thurles (Trust me, well worth the phone call and if necessary a trip down - he's a very sound lad and will help get you sorted)
    Crescent Sports (Neil McVeigh) in Monkstown, Dublin (Another gentleman - well worth a visit and chat).

Other good dealers are around the country - Paul O'Halloran in Drangan comes extremely highly recommended by many others.
    I am setting myself a budget of no more than 700-800 total

That should get you nicely set up with a CZ452 and a scope - I understand that Paul O'Halloran or Sean Harding (I can't remember which of them) is doing a deal at the moment for a CZ452, Scope, Mod, and Case all for about €450! I find that hard to believe myself, but I have it from a reliable and trustworthy source that it's true! If indeed true, and he still has the deal on offer, my advice would be to take the arm off him now! It's a steal!
    most 2nd gun do't drop much in value

Oh, if only - At the moment, there are some great deals to be got out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

the guy in stakelums is sound out and will advice you aswell he cares and that speaks for its self. griffin hawes in atoy has a few second hand ones down there aswell and there reasonable enough but SHOP AROUND

put a wanted add in the for sale section and some one will have a cz for you and its all choices to help you make up your mind

try get a cz varmint 22 its a little more comfortable to use the scope

as it waz pointed out to me to so long ago on here from a good source that the lusk stock drops down a bit little bit

my cz is a lusk and it worked and i never noticed anythin untill it waz pointed out to me. but i tryed the varmint an it was definitly more comfortable

but get what suits you and your pocket

you could prob lock your bolt ammo and mag in a small safe if you have trouble with the big one
    thats just an idea it might or might not work

but as it was said just bolt the big one ond fill holes when your finished its a far better job

best of luck with finding a gun and keep us posted

First off I'd like to thank you all for your very helpful replies.
    Corbus, I can't seem to get through to Stakelums (Sean Harding) the number seem to be engaged all day, or maybe the wrong number I have,
    I got through to Paul O'Halloran, nice guy he was running a deal for christmas, but he said he would give me the cz 425 delux, wooden finish, with a 39-40 scope, 2 heavy duty allen keys. and I think he said the gun will be drilled or made to be ready to add an accelator(such as a silencer) which he said would usually cost 60e to get done. the gun will have this from factory. also he never had a case in this deal either, so I may pick one up 2nd hand if I am sucessful
    I wouldn't need to go down to put a deposit just 100e over the phone & he will post the details up, I spoke to the lad in monkstown too, I may go in to visit him he said had a range of new & 2nd hand.
    I am just thinking about what way to apply for the licence now, will I try join a club first, or will I try see if I can get someone will land who will let me use their info?
    Also on the form it asks the question Have you complied with the requirments of the firearm9secure accomodation) order 2009
    Will I check yes? even though the one I am choosing does not need a safe?
    dCorbus wrote: »

Would dearly love to comment on that - but I'd be so far off topic as to be heading into ban-land!:o

Would dearly love to comment on that - but I'd be so far on topic as to be heading into ban-land!:D

Seriously, check out a wider range of dealers - there are plenty out there. Two I can personally recommend are:

Stakelums (Sean Harding) in Thurles (Trust me, well worth the phone call and if necessary a trip down - he's a very sound lad and will help get you sorted)
    Crescent Sports (Neil McVeigh) in Monkstown, Dublin (Another gentleman - well worth a visit and chat).

Other good dealers are around the country - Paul O'Halloran in Drangan comes extremely highly recommended by many others.

That should get you nicely set up with a CZ452 and a scope - I understand that Paul O'Halloran or Sean Harding (I can't remember which of them) is doing a deal at the moment for a CZ452, Scope, Mod, and Case all for about €450! I find that hard to believe myself, but I have it from a reliable and trustworthy source that it's true! If indeed true, and he still has the deal on offer, my advice would be to take the arm off him now! It's a steal!

Oh, if only - At the moment, there are some great deals to be got out there.

First off I'd like to thank you all for your very helpful replies.
    Corbus, I can't seem to get through to Stakelums (Sean Harding) the number seem to be engaged all day, or maybe the wrong number I have,
    I got through to Paul O'Halloran, nice guy he was running a deal for christmas, but he said he would give me the cz 425 delux, wooden finish, with a 3-9 magnification x 40 objective lens scope, 2 heavy duty allen keys. and I think he said the gun will be drilled or made to be ready to add an accelator(such as a silencer) which he said would usually cost 60e to get done. the gun will have this from factory. also he never had a case in this deal either, so I may pick one up 2nd hand if I am sucessful
    I wouldn't need to go down to put a deposit just 100e over the phone & he will post the details up, I spoke to the lad in monkstown too, I may go in to visit him he said had a range of new & 2nd hand.
    I am just thinking about what way to apply for the licence now, will I try join a club first, or will I try see if I can get someone will land who will let me use their info?
    Also on the form it asks the question Have you complied with the requirments of the firearm9secure accomodation) order 2009
    Will I check yes? even though the one I am choosing does not need a safe?

You still will need a safe for a Rifle
    I think you mean a MODERATOR/Silencer not an accelerator that will screw on to barrel (another box to tick on application, and provide a note why yopu need, shooting in fields with livestock near, or near homes to avoid disturbance to the peace)

If you have a safe then you can tick the Box for complying with Security requirements 2009 (Although they MAY inspect Crime Prevention Officer, as you are in the Greater Dublin Area)

3-9 is fine on bunny sized targets, although some prefer 4-16 personal pref really (I always go high mag as the eyesight is not that great) 6-24x50 is a great scope on a .22 IMvHO

Advertisement