Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downings/Google Maps/Gaeltacht 1970's

Options
  • 08-02-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Can anyone post up the link from Google Maps where the old hall used to be that was used for the Gaeltacht classes near Downings in the late 70's?

I had a look but so much has changed with all the buildings going on, and not sure if Google Van went that far.

It was on a country lane up over the hill behind Downings....much obliged...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Is this the place your looking for cityman?

Link to google maps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Thanks Homer, thats not it unfortunately. right area though...

It would have been an old grey asbestos slab building, from the 30's or 40's....on a bit of a straight lane. Its more than likely be levelled for a block of apartments : ) !!

thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Try this.

Not google maps as such but you can click on "pan" on the right side to drag the map about to take in other areas and use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

The best feature of them all is to use the little slider down at bottom right to overlay or superimpose the new mapping over the old mapping.

Thats pretty cool Muffler, thanks...tw'ill take me a while to get my head and mouse around it but its a pretty nifty application...thx.
    muffler wrote: »
    Try this.

Not google maps as such but you can click on "pan" on the right side to drag the map about to take in other areas and use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

The best feature of them all is to use the little slider down at bottom right to overlay or superimpose the new mapping over the old mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im not sure of the date of the older maps - they were either published in 1903 or with the next batch that were published between 1949 - 1953

Edit/ The historic 6" scale maps are from 1835

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Is this the building you are looking for?

On this map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,609635,939502,7,0 , it where the red cross is.

Can you remember where or who you stayed with?

Thats it! Still there...with a lick of paint! Looks well...

From memory, 1978 stayed at Marleys? Retired man, on his own small hold farmer? Daughter was a teacher (she used to mark either English or Irish exam papers when we were there.

It was further on up past the hall, took a right turn at a crossroads by an old British Post Box set into the stone wall.

I recollect that there was an elderly man living there on the corner (Sean the Cobbler) and one or two of the girls said they went in and had a nip of poitin there...not sure if thats true...

Many thanks for that...great memories...: ):)
    slimboyfat wrote: »
    Is this the building you are looking for?

On this map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,609635,939502,7,0 , it where the red cross is.

Can you remember where or who you stayed with?

Thats it! Still there...with a lick of paint! Looks well...

From memory, 1978 stayed at Marleys? Retired man, on his own small hold farmer? Daughter was a teacher (she used to mark either English or Irish exam papers when we were there.

It was further on up past the hall, took a right turn at a crossroads by an old British Post Box set into the stone wall.

I recollect that there was an elderly man living there on the corner (Sean the Cobbler) and one or two of the girls said they went in and had a nip of poitin there...not sure if thats true...

Many thanks for that...great memories...: ):)

The house you stayed in was my grandparents, owned by Patrick ( better know as Paddy ) and Mary.

The house on the corner was owned by 'Pat the Shoe maker'.

Its great to come across people who have stayed there.

Thats fab!

Great memories of stayin there..

There was one night we were out late, (well about an hour past the time we should have been in) and your Grandfather Paddy got all sort of serious and sat the two of us down in the living room (was there a range there?).

And he starts to say, "we cant have this, you'll be going home in the morning". "Now what are your names?" he asks, and he wrote our names down on a piece of paper.

I was a year older than the other lad with me, and I sorta knew not to panic, but the other lad was beginning to get teary eyed.

So your granddad winks at me and throws the paper into the fire and says "I'm only joking" or words to that effect, with a big grin on his face. I think we then got a piece of jam and bread and a cup tea, and then we had a chat he was asking us how we were gettin on at college and things..

I remember your grandmother now. Your grandad some evenings used to take his black push bike, (it was new at the time with old fashioned handlebars, with a "Guaranteed Irish" sticker on it), out with his fishin rod. We were amazed to see the fish he had come back with a few times.

Thats right! Pat the Shoemaker, I was in his house once, tall thin man, grey hair. There was also a big big man who we used to meet on the road walking home, we didnt see him until he was up on us, pitch dark along them lanes, and he'd say "Goodnight childer"...

We had a great time there, but didnt learn much Irish! :p

Cheers for now

The house you stayed in was my grandparents, owned by Patrick ( better know as Paddy ) and Mary.

The house on the corner was owned by 'Pat the Shoe maker'.

Its great to come across people who have stayed there.

Was this the house you stayed in?

• Advertisement

It is indeed, we stayed in the room on the right. There were about 6 of us in that room if I recall right. 2 single beds two bunks. I was on single bed just on the left as you go in the door. Your grandparents lived to the the left of photo...but I thnijk there were other lads in a room at the back somewhere (?).

Is that the house as it is now? Was that your mother or aunty who was/is the school teacher?

Many thanks for that...must take a drive up there some day soon....

It is indeed, we stayed in the room on the right. There were about 6 of us in that room if I recall right. 2 single beds two bunks. I was on single bed just on the left as you go in the door. Your grandparents lived to the the left of photo...but I thnijk there were other lads in a room at the back somewhere (?).

Is that the house as it is now? Was that your mother or aunty who was/is the school teacher?

Many thanks for that...must take a drive up there some day soon....

Yeah, thats how it looks at the moment, nobody has lived in it for a good few years now, there are 3 rooms in the house, so you are coreect to say that there would be lads in the back room also.

It's my aunt who is the teacher.

Thanks again, over the years I often meant to take trip there and see what things were like.

You must have seen lot of changes in Downings in the recent decade...

Is it OK to copy those photos? Im still in contact with some of the lads and girls who went to college there, they'd love to see them Im sure.

is the old British Georgian (?) Post Box still there? Cemented into a wall?

There was also a older lady, a tiny wee thing, oh I guess she was in her 60's, (face hadnt seen a flannel in a month or two) God love her, she used to come down to dance at the Ceilidhs which we had just about ever evening during the week. I always asked her for a dance and did a few ceilidh swings with her....

There was also a pretty little local girl who I got to know well enough, same age as me...ah, but then the summers over all too soon : )...thanks for that.....

Thanks again, over the years I often meant to take trip there and see what things were like.

You must have seen lot of changes in Downings in the recent decade...

Is it OK to copy those photos? Im still in contact with some of the lads and girls who went to college there, they'd love to see them Im sure.

is the old British Georgian (?) Post Box still there? Cemented into a wall?

There was also a older lady, a tiny wee thing, oh I guess she was in her 60's, (face hadnt seen a flannel in a month or two) God love her, she used to come down to dance at the Ceilidhs which we had just about ever evening during the week. I always asked her for a dance and did a few ceilidh swings with her....

There was also a pretty little local girl who I got to know well enough, same age as me...ah, but then the summers over all too soon : )...thanks for that.....

Copy away, no problem at all.

Not sure about the post box, must ask about that or have a look for it.

Thanks for permission to copy photos:

Im pretty sure the Post Box was near Pat The Shoemakers, was that on a bend in the road?

It was painted green with I think George Regina ensign on it, which bemused us a bit until we tied up the date with Irish history :D

Copy away, no problem at all.

Not sure about the post box, must ask about that or have a look for it.

Thanks for permission to copy photos:

Im pretty sure the Post Box was near Pat The Shoemakers, was that on a bend in the road?

It was painted green with I think George Regina ensign on it, which bemused us a bit until we tied up the date with Irish history :D

This is the house here, there use to be more the house closer to the road but was knocked down a few years ago to widen the road a wee bit, from these pictures I cant see any postbox, my guess it was removed the side of the house was demolished.

Wow!!, that takes me back, new wall sure enough. The post box was in that sort of vicinity....I remember well being invited through the door at the side of the house and Pat was sittin there in the main room

There would have been a lot more hedgerow at the time...

please pass on my regards to your Aunty...It was your aunty that did most if not all of the cooking..i remember her well tryin to make us chips, but they just wouldnt go brown for her, and she was very apologetic, unnecessarily ...they were great anways...and having the warm cows milk in the morning...great experience...thanks again...

This is the house here, there use to be more the house closer to the road but was knocked down a few years ago to widen the road a wee bit, from these pictures I cant see any postbox, my guess it was removed the side of the house was demolished.

Advertisement