Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100 for a graphics card.

Options
  • 08-02-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Ordering tomorrow night, I'm thinking about the 5770. It's €100 on Pixmania + shipping.

Specs:
    AMD Athlon II 240 @ 3.4ghz on stock cooler. (Fairly low power)
    ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo (Don't think it takes up much power)
    2gb DDR3 OCZ 1333mhz (It's RAM lol)
    Onboard HD 4200 graphics (For now ;)) (Doubt this consumes very much)
    Corsair CX400 PSU (It's a decent PSU)
    Coolermaster Elite 335
    Western Digital Caviar Green 32mb Cache 500gb. (Low power hard drive)
    A fair few fans :rolleyes:

I think a 5770 is about has high as I could go with my psu.

If you had €100 to spend on a graphics card what would you get (remember that it's ATi and my motherboard supports crossfire) or would you get a cheaper graphics card and something else? Free games with graphics card is always a nice thing ;)

Opinions greatly appriciated. :D

EDIT: Is there a way to get the referance cooler instead of the crappy one that seems to come with most of them?

In other words, is it possible to get:

radeon_5770.jpg

Instead of:

g_06218436.jpg

I'd almost kill myself if I got this:

Sapphire-Launches-Customized-Radeon.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

5770 would be my choice without a doubt
    plus why do you want a reference cooler instead of the better cooling non-reference?
    i understand if you prefer the way they look but the cooling on them is horrid and dosn't leave any room for overclocking at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

5770 would be my choice without a doubt
    plus why do you want a reference cooler instead of the better cooling non-reference?
    i understand if you prefer the way they look but the cooling on them is horrid and dosn't leave any room for overclocking at all

I'd live with lack of overclocking capabilities if I could get reference cooler somehow. What would you pick :D (Could a mod resize or tell me how to resize the pic?

<Pic removed>

don't think you can get the reference one anymore unless you buy one used, referbished or oem which i wouldn't recommend at all incase something goes wrong with the card.
    best option is to deal with the stock cooler for awhile untill you can find the reference cooler for it or a after market cooler you like the look of thats all i can suggest.

don't think you can get the reference one anymore unless you buy one used, referbished or oem which i wouldn't recommend at all incase something goes wrong with the card.
    best option is to deal with the stock cooler for awhile untill you can find the reference cooler for it or a after market cooler you like the look of thats all i can suggest.

Okay, fair enough, but is there anyway to avoid getting the round cooler. I could live with the other ones.

yea when you buy your cpu look at the stock photo and if the one you get has a different cooler then your entitled to send it back and get a different one had done that for clients in the past it's very simple

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Unless you find the like the sound of a jet engine relaxing, don't get one with a reference cooler, your ears will thank you later. :)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Unless you find the like the sound of a jet engine relaxing, don't get one with a reference cooler, your ears will thank you later. :)
    But what one should I get. If I get the one on Pixmania for €101, will I get the cooler pictured or the stupid round one?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

mtb_kng wrote: »
    But what one should I get. If I get the one on Pixmania for €101, will I get the cooler pictured or the stupid round one?

If Pixmania only gave enough detail in the product specs page you would know for sure, after some digging I have found the SKUs for the three version (in the order the pictures appear in you first post).

1) SAPPHIRE 100283L (Reference)
    2) SAPPHIRE 100283-3L
    3)SAPPHIRE 100283-2L (Roundy One)

As the 100283-3L is the latest revision and is pictured it is most likely the one they are selling.

If Pixmania only gave enough detail in the product specs page you would know for sure, after some digging I have found the SKUs for the three version (in the order the pictures appear in you first post).

1) SAPPHIRE 100283L (Reference)
    2) SAPPHIRE 100283-3L
    3)SAPPHIRE 100283-2L (Roundy One)

As the 100283-3L is the latest revision and is pictured it is most likely the one they are selling.

Thanks thats really helpful :D

Anyone know where I can get one of the first two versions cheap? The third gen is going for €101 on pixmania, also it doesn't have to be Sapphire, I kinda like the HIS one, but thats a total of €134 at OcUK.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where I can get one of the first two versions cheap? The third gen is going for €101 on pixmania, also it doesn't have to be Sapphire, I kinda like the HIS one, but thats a total of €134 at OcUK.

Just to satisy my curiousity what have you got against the non reference coolers? :)

101 euros is the cheapest I have see any 1Gb 5770 so far, it a pretty decent price. Had a quick look around and I can't really see anything cheaper or near the same price anywhere else.

Just to satisy my curiousity what have you got against the non reference coolers? :)

Ugly as hell lol :rolleyes:

Am I right in thinking that this is reference?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3805511/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5770-1-gb-gddr5.html

But then again, I could get this and some day get a watercooling setup going :P

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4122063/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5770-1-gb-gddr5.html

Okay, I've a little bit more money and I could strech to €135 now. Not €100 :D

I spotted this on OcUK:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-227-SP

It's about €137 shipped. :rolleyes:

Might be able to recoup some of the money with the MW2 cd key :P

Okay, I've a little bit more money and I could strech to €135 now. Not €100 :D

I spotted this on OcUK:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-227-SP

It's about €137 shipped. :rolleyes:

Might be able to recoup some of the money with the MW2 cd key :P

That is a decent deal for €137, definately worth getting IMO (Its a clearance product line so probably won't last long).

That is a decent deal for €137, definately worth getting IMO (Its a clearance product line so probably won't last long).

Just ordered that and new ram :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Just ordered that and new ram :D

New ram? i.e to replace 'old' ram - or just 'more' ram.

If its the latter, and you only had say 2GB in your machine, I'd say fair enough.

If its the first option, you should have spent the money towards a better card!

The HD5830 is a decent card, though it is fairly power hungry, pretty much the same as HD5850 but lesser performance.

New ram? i.e to replace 'old' ram - or just 'more' ram.

If its the latter, and you only had say 2GB in your machine, I'd say fair enough.

If its the first option, you should have spent the money towards a better card!

The HD5830 is a decent card, though it is fairly power hungry, pretty much the same as HD5850 but lesser performance.

Cancelled the ram as it had bad reviews. Card will be here on monday. I only have 2gb now total. Hopefully I'll be able to sell it and get a 4gb or 8gb kit.

Cancelled the ram as it had bad reviews. Card will be here on monday. I only have 2gb now total. Hopefully I'll be able to sell it and get a 4gb or 8gb kit.

Ah right good. Deffo sell it, as you can get 2x2GB kits for really chaep these days.

why not just by another 2gb stick with the same speed a cl?
    would cost ya alot less

why not just by another 2gb stick with the same speed a cl?
    would cost ya alot less

Or that^^^ for some reason I thought he had 2x1GB...

Uber fast ram makes feck all difference in reality.

• Advertisement

Or that^^^ for some reason I thought he had 2x1GB...

Uber fast ram makes feck all difference in reality.
    I do have 2x1GB.... :(

Advertisement