Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up dog poo.

• 08-02-2011 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this?
    I bring my dog walking around town a good bit & always have plastic bags in my pocket to pick up after her. Some of her poos don't always stay firm & there would be a small bit of what I can only describe as a skidmark left on the footpath :D.
    I'm very concious of other people having to walk on it, even though there's barely a scrape of it on the ground. So I was wondering what everyone here does? Should I start carrying a bottle of water to try to hose it off or what?
    This only happens once in a while but I suppose I'm afraid a child might fall on it or touch it without a parent realising & it could result in a serious infection.

Also is there anyone I can report other dog walkers to that don't pick up after their dog? There are some streets that are riddled with dog poo & it's very frustrating trying avoid it on dark nights like these.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

beanie2010 wrote: »
    There are some streets that are riddled with dog poo & it's very frustrating trying avoid it on dark nights like these.

+1 no..+ kagillions

I've been walking my guy on the path as opposed to the park the last month or so and can't get over the amount of poo - there's more of it on the paths than I ever saw in the park. In the park you can kind of excuse it - maybe the dog pooped when it was out of sight from it's owner or worse a lost poo when you catch up to where they were and can't find it..but the ones on the footpaths (Mobhi road to be exact) are giant turds from big dogs - there's no way the owners could miss them!:mad: Everyday I walk 15 mins carrying a bag of poo to the bin while trying my best to avoid the landmines on the ground!:mad::mad:

Regarding the "skidmark" this has happened to me a couple of time and I've left it there - picking the nuggets up is enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I use a bit of kitchen roll for the gooy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

I always carry tissue papers with me, but haven't needed it yet because my guys have pooped solid so far. I guess it depends on what you feed.
    But it really bugs me a lot that people just don't think when their pooch craps in public. It's beyond me that they don't carry a poop bag with them. BTW, if the litter warden witnesses this it's an on-the-spot fine. You even get an on-the-spot fine for dropping a cigarette butt these days.
    The only time I do not pick up is when the dogs crap in the surf on the beach when the tide rolls in. I'm just not quick enough to gather the scatters :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I would leave the skidmark . . . I know it's technically still dangerous if a child touches it, but I guess if your dogs are vaccinated, wormed and healthy, it's not as bad. Anyway I kinda think it's unlikely someone would touch it if it's just a tiny bit.

I don't like picking up dog poo, it's annoying and embarassing and stuff, so I don't walk my dogs in public :D I've never actually seen anyone pick up dog poo where I live, ever . . . except for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 beanie2010

I would leave the skidmark . . . I know it's technically still dangerous if a child touches it, but I guess if your dogs are vaccinated, wormed and healthy, it's not as bad. Anyway I kinda think it's unlikely someone would touch it if it's just a tiny bit.

I don't like picking up dog poo, it's annoying and embarassing and stuff, so I don't walk my dogs in public :D I've never actually seen anyone pick up dog poo where I live, ever . . . except for me!

I know it's highly unlikely someone will touch it but at the same time there is a risk. That's why I was wondering about carrying a bottle of water mixed with Dettol or something. I probably sound like a weirdo even questioning it but if I'm going to the trouble of picking up poo I may as well try to get it right :)

And I'm the same as yourself, I never see anyone else picking up after their dog but I see plenty of dog poo on streets. And I get strange looks when people see me cleaning up after my dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I was wondering about carrying a bottle of water mixed with Dettol or something. I probably sound like a weirdo even questioning it

Seriously, the world is full of germs. You going around with a squirty bottle of bleachy-water is not going to make any difference. Pick up as much as you can and go on with a clear conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

I know it's highly unlikely someone will touch it but at the same time there is a risk. That's why I was wondering about carrying a bottle of water mixed with Dettol or something. I probably sound like a weirdo even questioning it but if I'm going to the trouble of picking up poo I may as well try to get it right :)

And I'm the same as yourself, I never see anyone else picking up after their dog but I see plenty of dog poo on streets. And I get strange looks when people see me cleaning up after my dog.

I'd say there is no more a risk from poop skidmarks as from bird droppings or stuff we ourselves transport on the soles of our shoes or the cloud of germs we set free when sneezing or coughing :)

I wouldn't be worried about the germs, I am more disgusted by the stinky sticky yuck I have stuck to my shoes when I accidentally step into a doggy land mine! It is just so uncivilised of people to let their pooch poop everywhere. They wouldn't allow their children the same freedom, would they? Not that you can control a dog not to poop when the urge overcomes him, but with a bit of foresight this can be avoided altogether, like taking your dog out on a grassy area on the side of the road (and picking up!) before marching into town, or at least direct the dog to the gutter, down from the pavement.

I must say I feel chuffed when I ge these strange looks from people because there is no better way to lead by example, and a good one it is!

It brings out the nasty streak in me; I love to embarrass pet owners by putting on my sweetest smile and giving them a poop bag when they stop to let their dog do it. The look on their faces is priceless, and then they don't know what to do with the full bag, Hehehehehe! (I gently whisper 'find a dustbin' into their ears and go my merry ways :D)

There should be a T-shirt: Picking up my Pooch's Poop and Proud of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carlosvan

Im lucky i live by a lake and field and let them do there buisness before they go on the footpaths but to be honest bringing a bag is a must, well 2 bags in my case cause i have 2 dogs, but carrying a 70cl bottle of water doesnt take any room in your pocket really and comes in handy to drink if you get thirsty on way home , i really dont know how other owners can just let their dogs mess on the footpaths, id die of embarresment!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I leave the skidmarks, short of carrying a powerhose around with you there's nothing you can do, I think picking up whatever you can is sufficent, if dog wardens started enforcing this alone it would make a huge difference.

When I first got a dog I was embarrased picking it up and hated anyone seeing me do it, but now Im sort of proud to be seen picking it up. At least it shows I have a sense of cleanliness and hygiene.

Some people see picking up dog poo as disgusting, I see it as the other way around, I think people who don't pick it up are disgusting dirty creatures. I, nor they, don't like to step in it so why should they leave it there. Where I walk regularly it seems to be the same dogs all the time that do it in the same place and the owner's don't pick it up, I never see them doing it but there's a new landmine there everytime I walk there. :mad:

I seen something on Wednesday that angered me to no length, a woman walking her jrt in town on a footpath, the dog starts squating and she doesn't notice so he gets dragged along mid squat for a few steps, when she finally notices she stops and gives him a kick to push him in under a hedge while he's pooing so she doesn't have to pick it up. :mad: I would love to have said something, but I was on the opposite side of the road and I know I would've lost my temper with her and ended up getting arrested if I had started shouting at her across the street. :mad: Poor dog. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

If some1 walks in your dogs crap then its tough **** man!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

jimbob86 wrote: »
    If some1 walks in your dogs crap then its tough **** man!!

Do you like walking in dog sh*t? Would you like your kid's picking up dog sh*t and getting it all over their hands or in their mouth? :confused: Do you even own a dog? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Do you like walking in dog sh*t? Would you like your kid's picking up dog sh*t and getting it all over their hands or in their mouth? :confused: Do you even own a dog? :confused:

I have 2 kids and i tell you 1 thing i would'nt like my dog's walking in there crap...thats why i train my kids to use the toilet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The only situation that I would be concerned about leaving a "skidmark" (good one btw!) is if one of my dogs has an upset belly due to infection or something and I wouldn't want to leave trail of diarrhoea goo - water in a bottle with a sports cap does the job at washing it away. Other than this, I leave it. It will wash off with the rain anyway and stepping in a "skidmark" is much better than stepping in a giant poo - most of the time walking in the grass or a quick spray of water will get such a small amount off.

The amount of poo on paths recently (since the snow has gone) is ridiculous. Feel like we're playing Russian roulette walking the dogs in the dark! And because it has been quite wet too, it's all very sloppy and smeared all over the place. I feel very sorry for people pushing prams - can only imagine the amount they roll through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't worry about the skidmarks, but I pick up everything else. I hate if I run out of bags and can't pick it up, I'll try to kick it off the path. I don't worry about picking it up if it's under a hedge of down the canal bank though.

I find that people are generally delighted to see me pick up and some even stop to say so, which makes my day. I think I see more people picking up around my area now than there used to be, so that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

yes they want you to pick up our dogs poo, and clearly states a fine,

but where i walk my dog there is no doggy bin to dispose of the poo,

why dont they get a fine for not provided it, no bin poo stays on ground and thats tough sh it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

baldymac wrote: »

why dont they get a fine for not provided it, no bin poo stays on ground and thats tough sh it

Jeez just pick it up and bring it home.

It's called responsible dog ownership.

Why inflict YOUR dog sh*t on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I carry a loaded bottle of poop freeze :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dean Roche

Not helpful--Go rant somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

<<snipped>>

Regarding poo, living somewhere surrounded by fields FTW. :D
    There is a stable near me and last year one of my dogs "went" on the side of the road in the village, I had a laugh with one of the locals as I picked up the nugget while about 5 kilos of horse produce steamed about 2 feet away.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

My Golden Cocker is suffering from liver cancer and has recently been diagnosed with colitis, so when he poops, more often than not, its not solid, but I always try my best to pick up as much as I can. I keep a roll of bags in my pocket, and they are scented, which helps! This morning on our walk he went and it wasnt great, it left a bit of a mark on the ground when I picked it up, but it was raining so I figured it would wash away. For me, picking it up isnt a problem, as we figure out how well he is doing by his poop! It makes for interesting conversations at home...."how was it today?". lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

carleigh wrote: »
    It makes for interesting conversations at home...."how was it today?". lol.

We have these conversations too as my Springer has bouts of colitis, my daughter cringes lol :D

Hope your cocker is doing ok

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

We have these conversations too as my Springer has bouts of colitis, my daughter cringes lol :D

Hope your cocker is doing ok

He's hanging in there, thanks :) He gets his bloods checked regularly, and his condition has worsened a bit, but overall he is in great form, he's just lost a little weight and slowed bown a bit, but then again, he will be 13 the end of June, so thats to be expected! With a combination of vitamins/occasional antibiotics and a meat free diet, he's doing great, and the vet is pleased with him at the mo. Hope your Springer doesnt be too bad with the colitis, its not nice for the poor little things :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I'm pretty much the same OP i bring a few nappy bags with me whenever I have my fella out with me, only problem is no bins!! I walk my fella between 2 big parks and there is only 2 bins on the whole walk, one park doesnt even have a bin, and the park that does have them is almost always full! My bags usually just get dropped at the base of the bin whenever is full. there is nothing worse than walking the dog and getting that skiddy feeling when your walking through the grass :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Good idea to bring a bottle with dettol or something in it. 'Skidmarks' can still leave a mark on shoes or on the tires of wheelchairs/buggies

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

baldymac wrote: »

Just pop it down the nearest shore / drain in the road. Thats what I do.

Advertisement