Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing an Extra Subject By Yourself?

• 08-02-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm in 5th year and I picked Geography as one of my subjects at the end of TY last year. Back in September I changed my mind and moved into Chemistry and I'm glad I did but I still want to do Geography because it was my easiest subject for the JC and the only subject I got an A in. i can't afford to get a grinds teacher because I'm already doing another subject outside of school but I was just wondering do you think its a good idea to do a subject on your own with just the book and exam papers and still do as well in it as you would if you were doing it in school normally. I know theres some course work but I could just do that with my Geography teacher because it doesn't take too long does it? My plans is to go through the course during the Easter and Summer holidays. Would that be enough time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Go for it. It's pretty doable in one year let alone two as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

geography's a piece of piss, you'll be fine with any amount of effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'm teaching myself biology :-)
    I'd say go for it! You can go at your own pace which is awesome, and it becomes kind of like a project for yourself, so it becomes rather rewarding :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Geography would certainly be an easier one to teach yourself. Get some notes / essays structures from a Geo teacher in school and ask if they would mind correcting some essays just so you know where you're at.

The only thing I'd say is if you're already doing another subject outside school would Geo therefore be a 9th subject? Sounds like a serious workload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm doing 9 subjects, ag science and Japanese extra. It's fine, just put the time in, get papers and marking schemes, if necessary pay for extra mocks, it's cheaper than a grinds teacher. The more work you put in now, the less next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Make sure you consult with your pricipal and head of the Geography department in your school with regards to the field study. You'll need to be allowed go on it. I'd say its easier to do the field study as part of a class as the work gets spread out. You'll also need to get the booklet to write it out in off the geography teacher. Definately go for it though. If you do a bit every week you'll keep on top of it. Just dont let it consume too much of your time. I'm doing biology on my own as a 9th subject and I found that I was dedicating far too much time into it. My other subjects began suffering. Now I've finally gotten the balance right and all's going well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Just wondering, the two people above are ye doing 9 subjects because ye don't no what ones it pick/for requirements/bad at compulsory ones/ or just nerds that are goin' for 9 As? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

KKBL wrote: »
    I'm in 5th year and I picked Geography as one of my subjects at the end of TY last year. Back in September I changed my mind and moved into Chemistry and I'm glad I did but I still want to do Geography because it was my easiest subject for the JC and the only subject I got an A in. i can't afford to get a grinds teacher because I'm already doing another subject outside of school but I was just wondering do you think its a good idea to do a subject on your own with just the book and exam papers and still do as well in it as you would if you were doing it in school normally. I know theres some course work but I could just do that with my Geography teacher because it doesn't take too long does it? My plans is to go through the course during the Easter and Summer holidays. Would that be enough time?
    I took up Economics after Christmas because I wanted a 6 Higher subject. Have done 1/4 of the course in 3 weeks.. You need SERIOUS motivation which I lack a lot of (barely doing 3 hours a week if even). However I plan to do 5-7 hours and do it over the summer holidays.. Hope to have the course done by the end of June and then do exam papers all next year to perfect my answering! That's the plan anyway. Would love to get an A2 in it but looking for just a C1 + in Higher! Best of luck to you you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

RMD wrote: »
    Geography would certainly be an easier one to teach yourself. Get some notes / essays structures from a Geo teacher in school and ask if they would mind correcting some essays just so you know where you're at.

The only thing I'd say is if you're already doing another subject outside school would Geo therefore be a 9th subject? Sounds like a serious workload.

Well including LCVP its my 10th subject but I do Maths and bloody Fench at Ordinary Level because they're compulsory so it's not that much a work load.

What about the electives and the options. Is there any particular ones which are shorter, easier or more interesting than the others? do any of them cross over with other subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

From looking through my own exam papers, theres a section on cultural identity for the essay question (the 80 mark one) which would tie into northern ireland and the document question in history.. not sure if you're doing history... as for doing geography yourself.. i would have been better off doing it myself rather than the **** teacher i've had for the past year and a half... anyway the paper itself is pretty predictable so if you made out like 6 or 7 essays per section i reckon you could nearly get by on that.. regional geo is a bit trickier not to mention boring as ****!!! all in all, despise geography but go for it dood! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

I was just about to start a thread on this myself.
    As its highly unlikely I'll get to do physics for the Leaving [only person in 4th year who wants to do it and most only one or two more in 3rd year] I was wondering if you could study it outside of school with just like Less Stress More Success or ReviseWise or something? I dont want my Mam having to buy me some really dear physics book like, especially if I give up in the end... They have everything you really need to know I'd imagine.

And what do you do about experiments? Obviously I cant conduct them by myself at home...

Thanks,
    Caught

Hey man, definitely go for it.

Geography is one of the easiest subjects hands down in the LC I found last year.

The exam is a test of time management as well a everything else, but you'll be grand.

And make sure you put good work into the project too.

I done History by myself and got me an A!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

I've heard it's easy, so why not?
    The only thing is, is that you have to be fairly dedicated. If you don't study much, even now, it would be an indication that you may not have the full motivation or discipline to teach yourself a subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

NotExactly wrote: »
    Just wondering, the two people above are ye doing 9 subjects because ye don't no what ones it pick/for requirements/bad at compulsory ones/ or just nerds that are goin' for 9 As? :p

I completely messed up my subject choice so Im doing Biology because I need it. Our school offers music as an elective subject outside of our regular choices so Im doing that for points. I've been playing music since I can remember so I might as well use it! I dropped back in French and Maths and do enough to get by in those. Im really only concentrating on my 7 honours subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

NotExactly wrote: »

I'm horrific at irish, will probably fail pass. I'm aiming for 4 or 5 honours A's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

I did History on my own outside of school. I did all the work by myself, bar a lil help from the hist teacher in school and one week at the institute. I ended up with an A1. And it was my only a, incase you think I was just a genius gettin all a's.
    I'd say go for it, Geog is mostly just rote learning off essays... just make sure you get good essays to learn.

Just make sure you can do your field study...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

I made a mess of my lc choices

Between the long and the short I took up chemistry in 6th year but decided a week before the mocks to sit history anyway.

Great decision , in the end I was more focused and achieved Bs in both subects ;) Both higher markjs than ordinary level irish and maths and in the end I got more points.

No secrets. Just worked very hard and was smart with my time. Study books are great for extra subjects. Know the paper inside out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 victap8

Dropped French, was s**t at it, doing Russian & Latvian at home by myself :)

Advertisement