Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011: Father, husband, employee, runner; making it all work

• 08-02-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Situation: Father, husband, worker and runner in that order. I find it really hard to fit it all in and to be honest the running is the one that suffers.

Complications:
    • Number 2 on the way in 10 weeks- can't wait its worse than waiting for santa to come!
    • 2.5 hour daily commute to/from work
    • Work can occasionally be long hours
    • A not very talented runner
    • Short term complication is that I've had 2 very bad colds for most of January and thus far in Feb which meant no running and a drastica erosion of my fitness
    Resolution:
    Target training a minimum of 4 times/wk between now and baby no.2's arrival. This will probably need to include 2 lunchtime runs at work which will result in a bit of good natured (I hope) banter when they see me in my gear. Run Sat & Sun and if I'm lucky one other evening. Baby 2's arrival may see a drastic reduction in training opportunities- it did when number 1 arrived. I'm hoping to build a base really over the next 10 weeks, maintain most of it over a 2 month (I'm optimisitic) period from the birth by running 2/3 times wk. Then hopefully I will get back into training when its less hectic and go complete the Dublin series 5mile, 10mile and Half

Found my 2011 goals from start of year
    1. Sub 20 for 5k, current PB 22.54 (I'd stop all the other crazy running if I could get sub 18 for 5)
    2. Sub 45 for 10k, never raced
    3. Sub 36 for 5 mile - current PB 41.08* or something from short 5 mile Dublin series)
    4. Sub 85 for 10 mile- current PB early 92's* (from Dublin series)
    5. 1.40 for 1/2- current 1.50.09 (based on 10 mile target this is wildly optimistic- I probably need to go 75/76 for 10 mile to get close to this)

I'm going to put down short term goal to get fit and race hopefully 2/3 5k's in the next 10 weeks, hopefully pbing. Need to map out a few races- any suggestions in the Dublin/Leinster area gratefully accepted.
    All words of wisdom from those that have managed to combine family life, work and running appreciated.
    Any running advice gratefully accepted, I'm a novice (have a few 5km's under my belt, did the Dublin series last year and another lovely half in October)

So I'm off antibiotics since Saturday and even though chest not fully clear I'm going to head out for a little jaunt this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

So two miles very easy
    I have started again.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Was wondering where you were alright. We met at the half marathon last year (adidas race series).
    Best of luck with the log (in these exciting times!) :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Was wondering where you were alright. We met at the half marathon last year (adidas race series).
    Best of luck with the log (in these exciting times!) :)

I didn't go away, merely lurked for a while as I wasn't running in any races

Anyway 2 more easy today at lunch which left me blowing which is a bit concerning

Can't seem to find many 5km's in the next few weeks so whisper it I am considering sticking my name down for the Op Transformation thing in the Phoenix Park just to see where my starting point is

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    I didn't go away, merely lurked for a while as I wasn't running in any races

Anyway 2 more easy today at lunch which left me blowing which is a bit concerning

Can't seem to find many 5km's in the next few weeks so whisper it I am considering sticking my name down for the Op Transformation thing in the Phoenix Park just to see where my starting point is

yeah it's good to have a goal, that's for sure. I signed up for the St Patrick's weekend 5k in town, March 20th. Did you check out the runireland website?

yeah it's good to have a goal, that's for sure. I signed up for the St Patrick's weekend 5k in town, March 20th. Did you check out the runireland website?

I'd like to do the St Patricks run but we may go away that weekend as a final hurrah for the family of 3 before we become 4

How's your training going?

• Advertisement

I'd like to do the St Patricks run but we may go away that weekend as a final hurrah for the family of 3 before we become 4

How's your training going?

I'm not actually training for anything in particular, just trying to keep the mileage ticking away. Would like to do another marathon before DCM, so am considering Kildare.
    I'm enjoying the running and am injury free, so it's all good. :)

So 2 x 5k over the weekend- had a nice little canter around on Sunday evening at a decent pace, felt reasonably good after it which was very nice.
    This weeks programme will probably be:
    Tues: 4 mile (evening)
    Thurs: 5 km
    Sat: Operation Transformation 5km (apparently my pack is in the post)
    Sunday: 5km recovery

Needed to buy a hat to keep my ears warm (and my lovely wife gave me one for Valentines- what a romantic, considerate lady!)

Weekend was quick as it was late Friday before I got home from work- was in the Northwest, Thurs and Friday.
    What a disappointing result in the rugby match..:(
    How can we persist with a scrumhalf that can't pass??? Outscore the French by 2 tries and we still lose. Not good

4 miles last night-
    I was blowing at the end as I went out a bit quick- actually my running partner went out too quick and I went along for the ride.
    It was cold, miserable and wet so I felt great at the end having gone out, done my run and sucked it up to keep the pace reasonable.

The best thing about the run was my new beanie, it was just right, not too thick and not too thin. Kept my ears nice and warm so no headache when I finished. Hats off to my good lady for buying it for me

Its amazing though how your fitness leaves you- 4 months ago I'd have been cruising on last night's run whereas I still had a red face going to bed an hour after I finished!:o

5km this afternoon in Tymon Pk at lunchtime, was great to get a run in during the day when I didn't feel like I was leaving wife or baby behind (one was at work and the other at the minder)
    It was a grand and easy run although I was hoping to do it on the grass but it was too wet for that.
    Didn't see any other runners but came across plenty of folk out walking the dog
    Got my number in the post today for my seasonal debut in the 5km on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing where my legs take me. was even planning out my strategy during today's session.

So did the Operation Transformation run today in the Park
    A lovely day for the run, finished in 23.30 or so on my Garmin.
    Seemed pretty well organised (only complaint was lack of distance markings), not half as crowded as I expected, think there were only around 2k running. Started from near the back- was over 1 min on the clock when I crossed the start line. Started at a decent clip and spent a good bit of first km passing the crowds. From 1km the crowds thinned dramatically and it was grand. Course was decent enough, nice downhill at the glen but the hill back up was a bit of a bummer. Last km was interesting as you could see the finish line nearly all the way. Tried to run 4.40s for each km but probably missed that on km 1 with the crowds, and on 3-4 after the hill. Last km was 4.37 so I took it home relatively strong. Was completely out of puff at the end so all in all I was close to the limit today.
    Well done all that took part today, hats off to the people who were doing this for the first time and that are trying to make a life change. Small steps start great journeys.
    Hopefully I managed to avoid the cameras for the most part.
    Overall I was very happy with today's performance considering where I've come from in the last few weeks. About 45 sec down on PB but second fastest 5k I've ever run. Looking for another 2 races to do in the next few weeks. Met Rainbow Kirby at the bag collection area and had a good chat, nice to see another boardsie.
    Have been on the "runner's high' all day, what a great feeling.

• Advertisement

Went for a slow run just to keep the legs going- was surprisingly stiff this morning after yesterday's exertions. And stiff all over- arms, shoulders not just legs. Did 6.5km so just over 4 miles. Was happy as I felt like I could have done 10km no bother.

Went out for Sunday tea en famille to local Italian. Mgr has changed, which is not a good move by them. Its amazing how one poor personality can have a negative impact on the atmosphere. Food still good and no problem with kids but the staff are on edge and it wasn't an enjoyable experience. I'll be voting with my feet and going elsewhere next time.

On a flight tomorrow at 6.30 to the UK and then back again in the late afternoon, may need a short turn to clear the cobwebs when I get home!

So did my first lunch time run from work today
    Desuited and debooted and into the gear and out the door as quick as possible trying to draw as little attention as possible......
    Did somewhere around 3.5miles. Wasn't a bad day for it, but I'll have to look for a better route as I ran out the ring road and back- very boring and actually quite hilly. Got back in the door again without much attention- you know how it would be- "did you see the state of yer man..... does he think he's Eamon Coughlan in the gear......"
    Showered in the shower in work- it may be the first time that its ever been used- and then resuited and booted.
    I could see myself doing this regularly as it now means I have the evening at home without the pressure of having to get out and run late tonight. With the new baba's arrival this may be the only way that I can manage to run. Hopefully it will be the secret of my success...

Anyone else do the lunchtime run in work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Hey WB,

I'm a huge fan of the lunchtime run, try to get out 2 if not 3 times per week.
    I find its so much more pleasant to get out in the daylight than on a dark evening.
    I've pretty much got over the fear of my work mates seeing me in lycra at this stage, I'm not sure if they're over it though !

PK

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Hey WB,

I'm a huge fan of the lunchtime run, try to get out 2 if not 3 times per week.
    I find its so much more pleasant to get out in the daylight than on a dark evening.
    I've pretty much got over the fear of my work mates seeing me in lycra at this stage, I'm not sure if they're over it though !

PK
    PK
    No feedback today positive or negative- they'll probably wait a while before they stirring it up with me......
    Anyway its grin and bear it territory as lunchtime running is probably the only way that running will work for me for a few months

4 miles this evening-
    Was working from Dublin/home today so was able to head out around 6.
    Felt surprisingly energetic so pushed it on, felt good again to be able to put strain/pressure on the systems. Its probably psychological but I feel fitter.

Watched OT on RTE- thankfully no sign of my head anywhere in the 5km shots

Just going to watch some of Step Brothers now on RTE- am a sucker for both Will Ferrell and John C Reilly. Juvenile comedy rocks!

4 miles this evening-
    Was working from Dublin/home today so was able to head out around 6.
    Felt surprisingly energetic so pushed it on, felt good again to be able to put strain/pressure on the systems. Its probably psychological but I feel fitter.

Watched OT on RTE- thankfully no sign of my head anywhere in the 5km shots

Just going to watch some of Step Brothers now on RTE- am a sucker for both Will Ferrell and John C Reilly. Juvenile comedy rocks![/QUOTE]

Juvenile indeed! OH asked me to tape it! :rolleyes::D

Just going to watch some of Step Brothers now on RTE- am a sucker for both Will Ferrell and John C Reilly. Juvenile comedy rocks![/QUOTE]

Juvenile indeed! OH asked me to tape it! :rolleyes::D

Have it on the laptop so think I'll watch the end of it now as I went to bed before the end last night
    On a day off tomorrow- hoping to do 10km slow just to increase mileage in the legs

Have it on the laptop so think I'll watch the end of it now as I went to bed before the end last night
    On a day off tomorrow- hoping to do 10km slow just to increase mileage in the legs

I ended up watching it last night. :rolleyes::pac::rolleyes: is all I can say. I tut tutted through it, but found myself watching nearly all of it. :o
    I loved when the brother's family were all singing in the car.....:D

"OMG it's on his head" teenage girl to her friend in Tymon Park around 6.45 this evening.
    It was dark, I had a head torch on. Teenagers are easily amused.

10km this evening, felt good, could have run further, took it handy enough but not completely snail pace.
    Very happy to be getting back to decent distance and running time. 10km is step 1 back on the base of fitness. Hopefully the body will be ok tomorrow as I'll go again hopefully for 5 just to loosen the legs out. Achilles feels stiff as I sit here.
    Keeping on keeping on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

would love to run at lunch time but don't take lunches:p
    Been running ealy morning of late and so tired since.
    what are your upcoming races?well done on your run in OT.

• Advertisement

would love to run at lunch time but don't take lunches:p
    Been running ealy morning of late and so tired since.
    what are your upcoming races?well done on your run in OT.

Thanks- Can't do the early morning lark as I like my sleep too much..... If I was up to run it would be an hour extra in the morning which would probably mean an hour less in the evening time at home. Its short enough as it is without taking time off it. Need to get ultra organised and keep this lunchtime running up. Will make a major difference to life if I can manage to fit it in.

Not certain what's next on my hitlist- would like to do the MSB 5k on March 20th but we may be away. Dunboyne/Dunshaughlin 4 mile is the week after which could fit. Great Ireland run might also work. Beyond that I haven't really thought it through

4 miles this evening
    Was out last night at a birthday party and had a few glasses of wine and a late night
    FElt it all day today so felt like I was purging myself this evening
    A great evening for a run, lovely and fresh.

7km this evening.
    Great fresh night, it was so good that I left the match
    Missed Chelsea's second....can't believe they won, League isn't won yet.

Worked from home today which meant I was able to get out for a run in daylight when I finished.
    Went to Tymon and had a decent canter around. 7km or so ( changed the format on the Garmin a few weeks back from miles to kms so that has me measuring in kms.... will get back to miles again when I'm arsed)
    Was a good night for it, nothing massively interesting to post except a minor run in with an overly friendly dog.
    I've a dog- am a doggy person- but I'm always wary of mutleys when I'm out running as the sight of me running towards them must be a scary prospect. I tend to give them room to bolt- I figure its better than getting a chunk out of my leg. Anyway over friendly and uncontrolled dog tonight belted over to me away from the owner and started barking at me, running around me and generally being a nuisance. He got short shrift from me in the form of a few expletives and a change in direction and off he ran.

Small reflection here: the last few weeks have gone well, feel like I'm getting some fitness back, most importantly I am back in the habit of running. I'm probably half way back to where I'd be comfortable- LSR of 10/11 miles and another 3 or 4 runs during the week that would get me up to 25-30 miles/week. I don't think I'm going to be the type of runner that bangs out 50 miles/week. My ultimate massive goal is to be a good 5km runner and I'm not certain how much benefit increasing my weekly distance will be when I have a finite amount of time for training. I'm hoping quality will out.

Just got this link on Facebook and think its absolutely infectious, I love it!

So went for the run at lunchtime thing yesterday

Just as I was going to get changed, realised that I had left my runners at home:( FML

Repeated the exercise again today with runners.
    Galloped 6k- 3 km in about 12.30, the next km I slowed it right down and quickened up again for 5th km to do the 5 in 23.25 or something like that. Warm down for the last km to complete 6.25km in 30 min
    Was happy that I could dog out the 5 km in the time I did- especially with the way that I slowed it right down and built it back up again. Gratifying to know that I could do that. Also it was quite a hilly track. Reckon I could do sub 23 and close to PB if I was going to race. If I can do the MSB in 2 weeks could well be in PB territory-
    Delighted with the work run as it allows me time at home and I've my run complete.
    I need to get a programme though for trying to improve my 5km time as I've no clue what I'm at when it comes to trying to improve times as opposed to run longer.
    Tomorrow on early duty with the baba and then hopefully 10-12km slow (need to go slow as I've an awful habit of starting slow and then just deciding I want to do the distance in a certain time and speeding up as I go along...)

12.5km LSR today in Tymon- tried to ignore the watch- did in something around 1.08/09 or so.
    Felt decent enough actually and could have gone on for longer but didn't want to push too far. Had a few twinges during so don't want to get an injury from pushing on too far too soon.
    Glad to have another week down and feel like I am getting back to fitness, will continue increasing mileage a little more but need to concentrate on trying to develop some speed.
    Ideally I'd like to go from 22.54 to 22 in my next 5km race. I need to be running 4.24 for that- I could probably manage one k at the mo but not 5 in a row.....

Did a recovery run today (at least that's what I was doing in my head)
    No watch, 8 or 8.5km, no idea what time. It felt really good, was very enjoyable to be running without any idea of the clock.
    It also allowed me to day dream a lot- god the things I achieve in my dreams are truly amazing-
    Back to the grind tomorrow with an overnight to the UK on Wed- will run Tues, maybe bring the runners with me and get up early on Thurs and if I'm lucky run on Fri and Sat.
    Well done all in Barca today- everybody seemed to reach their goals, fair play

4 miles tonight- was damp and a bit blustery
    Pancake Tuesday played havoc with diet- (cake in work x2, club sandwich and fries at lunch, pancakes and white chocolate x2 at home) albeit all entirely my own fault.
    So had a walk at lunch and forced myself out the door this evening even though I really didn't want to.
    Left the watch at home and cantered along nicely.
    Will be lucky to get a run in on THurs as am away to the UK tomorrow morning, will be late to hotel tomorrow night and early meeting again on Thursday so no chance to run really.
    Pretty inspiring reading all the Barca success stories (pity the soccer team are a bunch of cheating b@stards)- fair play to all that achieved their goals
    Well done

Home again- late home on the Ryanair flight- the only upside was the absence of the annoying on time bugle song that they play
    Did 5km this evening- very blustery
    Glad to get a bit of a run in as I spent a long time in a hire car yesterday and sitting on my backside today

Feel very stiff at the moment with lots of aches and pains in my legs.
    Will have a look tomorrow to see if I can find somewhere decent for a sports massage on Saturday-
    Anyone got a suggestion for sports massage in Dub 14/16/6w/6/12/24?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PM sent

Advertisement