Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011: Father, husband, employee, runner; making it all work

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

jcsmum wrote: »
    Yes they do! ;)

Are you a Donegal woman???
    Hopefully there will be a lid kept on the hype..... Dubs should win but that's been said and written many, many times before. Funny but I reckon Donegal could well beat the Dubs if they played them at football as opposed to the massed defence business they have at the moment.

Club this evening:
    5.8 miles in 44 min
    Up and around our hill track at the Speaker Connolly... Coach kept saying it was going to be easy, I was always expecting him to say we were turning for home but we kept going. Not knowing what's in store is a killer. I'm well able for the pace but mentally thought we were going home all the time so it was harder than it should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

W.B. Yeats wrote: »

Nope, but let's just say I'm hoping that the Dubs beat Donegal and that Mayo loose too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

jcsmum wrote: »
    and that Mayo loose too. :D
    Booo!!

belcarra wrote: »
    Booo!!

I'm with you on that one!

if only because I'm more scared of Kerry than I would be of Mayo....

• Advertisement

Long run in Marlay 11 miles in 1.36.48 - 11.8 miles in total by the time I stumbled the last piece home-

Have never done a long session in the park before and I;m not sure if I liked it that much. The loop is short and as a result you do it a few times, more people on the paths than in Tymon although that does make it slightly more interesting at times. Lots and lots of runners as well

This started out easy and just sort of turned into a "meh" session. Did the miles, did it slowly (i made that deal with myself that I would run slow ) was able to speed up the last 2 miles just for the crack. But it was one of those putting the miles on the clock sessions. Should mean that I have a bit more in my legs next week for the 10 miler and means that I'm well on track for the half in Sept- may do one in Waterford in early Sept but haven't decided yet.

Seems like I've come through unscathed- hammers were fine, a few niggles but nothing crazy- when I compare the pain I used to be in this time last year after doing this distance it amazes me how you can train your body- truly a mighty machine!

Anyway off tonight to Limerick for a few scoops with old college buddies so am glad that I got the long session in and done!

Booo!!

I'm with you on that one!

if only because I'm more scared of Kerry than I would be of Mayo....
    Croke Park, 2006, Ciaran McDonald.
    That Is all!

Croke Park, 2006, Ciaran McDonald.
    That Is all!

The result of that game doesn't lie, a great win for Mayo, a horrenduous result for Dublin. I was living in Germany at the time and took to the bed in depression after watching the game.....
    However 2 v different teams from then- anyway all supposition, we have to both win tough semis before that matchup comes to pass

4.5 miles today- can't remember the time
    Was a recovery run from yesterday, actually didn't feel that stiff at all so the legs were in decent nick. Mutely came for the run, he was tired at the end.... poor doggy
    WAs out last night in Limerick with college buddies
    A number of conclusions:
    I'm not able for drink- I drank about 6 bottles of beer over a 7 hour period, combined with lots of water, I felt terrible this morning- mentally not physically
    The day after drink is a downer and not enjoyable-
    Young ones out on a Saturday night don't wear a lot of clothes
    I am turning into my father

Training was terrible this week

2 miles on Wed night with the mutley around 11. Same night the leaving cert results were out. Kids out waiting for the bus into town drinking wine from the bottle:eek:. Not classy and actually when there are 50 of them around not comfortable to be near.

Race Report
    77.44- PB by 15 min from last year. Delighted with time. Performance was good. Ran in or around 4.48 Kms for the whole race. Very even paced overall despite 1st mile weaving.

Hadn't been excited all week about the race. Couldn't get into it for some reason - hadn't even organised myself on Friday night, but woke up in decent form yesterday.

Parked outside Donore Harriers Club house in Chapelizod, jogged up to the start which was great because it gave me a chance to see what the last little hill was like and how long to the finish line there was.

Warmed up poorly, went into the back of wave 1 and waited for the start. Knew I was in the wrong place as the people around me just didn't feel like sub 85 runners but stayed there. Off we went and I was in congestion from the start, weaving around people. One lady stopped in the middle of the road to tie her lace. Passed two women walking after 50m or so- FFS:mad:- it was a long time before I stopped weaving around people. Somewhere after mile 2 or 3. Mile 1 was 7.40 something. Mile 2 was fine- was glad there wasn't wind as its exposed up there. Mile 3 was good and then downhill to 4. Didn't like the narrowish path there across towards the first water station. Saw the coach on this segment- had to give him a shout because I was gone by so fast;)!

S bends were fine and then the downhill and uphill to 5. Tourists looking having a laugh at us unfortunates and taking pictures.... Round the corner at 5 and couldn't believe it when they filtered us up the path. Kept expecting them to bring us out onto Chesterfield but they didn't:mad: It was crazy. Too many runners and not enough ground. People were tiring, running abreast unintentionally and it was v difficult to get a rhythm and past them. Demoralising moment coming up to 6 when I could hear the PA annoucing that the winner was coming...... Turned at 6 and then the race started for me. I had split it into sections in my head. 0-2 get a rhythm, 3-5 cruise-5-8 fight for the time, 8-10 try to increase the tempo. I had to dig in for a 6, and 7. They weren't tough tough but I had that you can give up now moment. I just kept clocking the kms- my garmin gives me my km splits- and knocking the miles out, was a bit of a breeze up the North road that didn't help.

When I hit 8 I knew that I was on target and that I had the downhill to come and then the home straight. 8 went fine, turned the corner and up the hill for the run into the finish, passed my lovely family who were there to cheer me on. Its strange because I rarely have the ability to put a massive finishing sprint in. I'm usually hanging on. Yesterday was no different but I was passed by a few lads that looked like they had just started (you haven't tried hard enough if you have that much energy left at the end). Crowd was great to give you a lift for the last 100. Crossed the line- thought I had hit the stop button on the Garmin- but hadn't. When I was able to look at it, the time said 1.18.30 and was still going. So I wasn't sure what my time was- thought it was around 1.17.30- coach texted me yesterday with my time 1.17.44 so very happy with that.

Overall very good race except for the narrow paths *3 and the idiots in the wrong pens at the start.

Very happy with my time. Possibly another minute or so to be got but its a fine balance between pushing too hard and then blowing up and not being able to bring it home. 15 minutes better than last year. Am hopeful now of being able to do finish the half in 1.45. Need to get the finger out with regard to training.

• Advertisement

Went for a jaunt this evening just to loosen the legs
    Nearly 4 miles don't know the time. Around 35 min or
    Legs felt good largely, body was and is tired after racing.
    Shoulders are a bit stiff
    Anyway still v happy with my result yesterday- amazing considering the little 4 month old bundle that's asleep upstairs that i've managed to get any running in,

Lunchtime run
    4 miles
    Still a bit stiff since Saturday
    Was easy enough pace and wasn't blowing- started raining for the last mile- only second time I've run in the rain in the past few months. Club tomorrow hopefully and 13.1 on Saturday. May run Waterford Half next weekend, haven't decided yet

Am hopeful now of being able to do finish the half in 1.45. Need to get the finger out with regard to training.

I'd say you will manage the 1:45 handy. I was around the same time as you (77:17) and will be aiming for sub 1:40 for the Half Marathon. Outforarun is also in the same boat regarding times so you may want to re-evaluate?
    As I say you are doing well at the moment and if you keep the training consistent you'll go very close to sub 100mins!

I'd say you will manage the 1:45 handy. I was around the same time as you (77:17) and will be aiming for sub 1:40 for the Half Marathon. Outforarun is also in the same boat regarding times so you may want to re-evaluate?
    As I say you are doing well at the moment and if you keep the training consistent you'll go very close to sub 100mins!

Not certain if I'll have the endurance for the distance- that's probably what's putting me off posting a lower time.....
    I probably could have squeaked 76 or 75 on Saturday but didn't want to blow up and come in over 80.
    I think there are 1.40 pacers- so maybe start out with them and keep it even paced. I'd have to end up running slightly faster/mile for the 13.1 than I managed for the 10 on Saturday- gotta push yourself I suppose.

Hills session with the club last night
    3 lopps of 0.85 mile section with 90-120sec break.
    First was 5.20
    Second 5.25
    Third 5.30

Was interested in my km splits more than anything- first km split was 3.51, second 3.54 and third 4.00
    Putting a sub 20 requires 5 of the first or second back to back. A tall order but happy nonetheless that I have sub pace somewhere.

Was wrecked after it- its a very tough session

I think there are 1.40 pacers- so maybe start out with them and keep it even paced. I'd have to end up running slightly faster/mile for the 13.1 than I managed for the 10 on Saturday- gotta push yourself I suppose.

That will be my tactic anyways...never ran with pacers before so should be interesting...

That will be my tactic anyways...never ran with pacers before so should be interesting...

Pacers are actually good to run with from my one and only experience- don't tell Meno that though.....

13.1 miles in 1.58
    Did 13.1 this morning, found it very difficult and a real slog. I know that it was raining and windy but I didn't enjoy this. Ran around St Enda's park, Marlay Park x2 and over and back to get the distance in, found the last 2 miles tough which I suppose is to be expected considering I haven't run this long in nearly a year.

Nutrition or preparation may not be ideal for this sort of distance- was up with the little ones this morning and had a bowl of porridge around 8.30. Then went out around 10 so it was 12 when I was back. Think I was out of fuel which didn't help the last few miles.

Drank some electrolyte drink when I got back (Powerade Ion 4- it came from the US) , that didn't help at all. It just lodged in my stomach and I felt nauseous for about 2 hours after it. I'm also really thirsty now.

I usually drink water or a Lucozade Sport but just wanted to try something different. My next experiment will be a scoop or two diluted of Optimum Nutrition's Essential Amino Energy. Anyone use anything like this?

The World athletics coverage on Channel 4 is ridiculously bad- ads every 5 min or so. Anchor is poor. Wish it was the BBC- they usually do a great job

Catch up

Tuesday 4.5 miles can't remember the time, nice trot out though from memory

Tonight 5.17miles in 43.10
    Tried to run most of this on grass to keep the legs ok
    It was a nice evening for it, legs are good,
    Missed the club tonight because I was too late in work... busy season at the moment which isn't helping my training. Hopefully the madness will end by next week

Have tickets for tomorrow night's boys in green, hopefully we'll get a good result

Long run this morning
    12 miles in 1.47
    Better than last Saturday's half attempt-
    Still haven't the fuel strategy right- got up and went out at 10.45, no breakfast just a bottle of Lucozade sport for company. Didn't feel as drained as last Sat though.
    Was going to do 11 around Tymon but ended up doing 12. I'd say I ran 11 of it on grass which was good for the muscles and joints
    Have to decide what to do next weekend- do 13 again or do 10......

Was at the soccer on Friday night- a poor attempt at a game. How frustrating it is to watch a game where both teams aim is not to lose. Atmosphere was very poor

4 miles recovery at lunchtime
    Just plodded along to get the legs going. A nothing run really. It was however very windy
    My knee was clicking last night when I got into bed and my good lady wife asked is that your cartilage?? I'm paranoid ever since, and am imagining phantom knee pains all day..:mad:

• Advertisement

CLub this evening
    35 minute run- ran at about 7.40 speed. 4.7 miles or so
    Then a few strides/
    Amazing how quickly you lose speed. I thought I was really motoring at 7.40......:rolleyes:

12 miles today, same general area of Tymon.
    1.46, ran the last mile in around 7.40 just to pick up the pace. I can't imagine running 13.1 in or around that though. I feel like I've gone backwards since the 10mile- work has been very busy so have only been getting out 3 times a week or so but I've consistently gotten a long run in.
    Anyway I reckon I'll be doing well to get 1.45 next week for the half. I'm debating starting out at 8min miles which would bring me home around 1.45. I could chance going with the 1.40 pacers and try desperately to hold onto them......
    Anyway if I can get out tomorrow and a few more times during the week I may feel better about my prospects.....

I'm debating starting out at 8min miles which would bring me home around 1.45. I could chance going with the 1.40 pacers and try desperately to hold onto them......
    How about sticking with the 1:40 pacers for the first few miles as far as the Wellington Rd hill.
    This being the first serious uphill (You will probably manage the S-Bends fine given they are early enough in the race and not too steep) you will then be in a position to back off a little for the hillier mid-section if necessary.
    The last 4 miles are reasonably favourable - apart from the Acres Rd and hill which you could just grit the teeth - and try to hang on for the last mile...

How about sticking with the 1:40 pacers for the first few miles as far as the Wellington Rd hill.
    This being the first serious uphill (You will probably manage the S-Bends fine given they are early enough in the race and not too steep) you will then be in a position to back off a little for the hillier mid-section if necessary.
    The last 4 miles are reasonably favourable - apart from the Acres Rd and hill which you could just grit the teeth - and try to hang on for the last mile...

I should be able to manage to stick with the 1.40 lads up until 10 going on my 10 miler time. The issue will be holding it together for the last 3 miles..... While thinking I've gone backwards I probably haven't really-running slow does my head in- the LSR is a challenge for me as I find it boring, I should probably start running it with a group to keep my mind from wandering. I find that when I start slow I finish even slower. I'm better off starting fast and then keeping it fast.
    I'm not decided yet but will likely do the 1.40

REcovery supposedly yesterday evening. 6km or so around Tymon Pk
    Bought muttley with me and he's getting fit because he ended up dragging me around a decent stretch of the park- I wanted to just loosen the legs out but he had another thing on his mind and was running madly.
    Anyway I was glad to get a full weekend's running in despite the hurricane forecasts.

Still looking for a ticket for Sunday
    :(
    I'm not certain how the quest will turn out. Many have promised none have delivered yet.

Poor week running wise
    Busy at work and at home with kids

Ran 4 miles last night to blow out a few cobwebs

Groin tight today.....

Tomorrow: don't know how this is going to go. Would like to chance going with the 1.40 pacers.... not certain am I able for that pace...... would be happy with 1.45 but want to push myself.... maybe I could pull it off.... will probably decide depending on how I feel tomorrow

Got tickets for Sunday- have 2 need another 2.... got really excited listening to the pre game guff on the radio this evening- unusual that I am more excited about the game than about the half.
    Best of luck to all running tomorrow. May the wind always be at our backs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Would like to chance going with the 1.40 pacers.... not certain am I able for that pace...... would be happy with 1.45 but want to push myself.... maybe I could pull it off....

What have you got to lose? You'll be sore Sunday either way, but you're not saving yourself for a goal race later on - might as well give this one everything you've got.

This is nominally a running thread however so much more happened this weekend that deserves to be recorded:

Half Marathon: 1:43:14

Race Report:
    Was up for this v early, the littlest one has her first proper cold so was awake at 6. I got up with her, gave her some medicine and fed her.
    Got myself a good bowl of porridge and watched a decent stretch of rugby while she fell asleep. Topped up with some OJ, Toast and Tea and woke the rest of the house around 8.30
    Off to the park and despite a bit of driving around Chapelizod for a while eventually got parking. Into the park walked up the kyber and dropped the bag off. Jogged off down to the start and warmed updebating my race plan still in my head. Decided to chance the 1.40 pacers- did this in 1.57 last year and followed up with 1.50:12 a few weeks later so this was going to be a big ask.
    Still amazed at the crowds of people that you head talking at the start saying they are targetting 2 hrs and are ahead or alongside pacers that have 1.40 written on a massive balloon. Maybe I should turn into a **** and point this out to them in no uncertain terms.
    Start was largely uneventful. First few miles were fine until we came upon the stragglers from wave 1 and then there was a lot of passing out. I felt like I was running well within myself. The pacers were doing a good job keeping all our spirits high, shouting out the splits and giving a roar every now and then. It got hard when we turned onto Chesterfield Ave. Despite only grabbing one cup to take a small sip from I felt like I lost touch a bit with the pacers- I now know that this was really because we got filtered into one side of the road and therefore your place got pushed back. I spent the run up and down Chesterfield between 5 and 7 or so trying to catch up and making not a lot of progress. In retrospect I shouldn't have
    been worried as I probably wasted energy. Up past the zoo and 7 and I was fine. Towards 8 my mam was on the side and surprised me with a big roar- also shouted the score in the rugby which put paid to my plan to watch it later. It started getting hard around 9 miles and I lost touch with the pacers- at the start I thought my losing the pacers would be a conscious decision to let them go but this just happened and for the sake of keeping going to the end I lost some pace and had to moderate my speed. It started getting tough from her on in. I kept checking the distances, the North road and back onto Chesterfield was a killer, until we got to 11 or so I kept on considering stopping for a walk. I made a deal with myself not to check time as I didn't want to get disheartened and I just kept going. I chanced a look at 12 miles and couldn't believe that I was around 1.35. Up the hill and onto the long run in which felt like it went on forever. I had about 700m to go when I passed 1.40 so I was chalking 1.40 down for whenever I do this again.... ( if ever;)) Crossed the finish in 1.43 14. Was wrecked at the finish but absolutely delighted and thrilled. There wasn't a whole lot else left in the tank today so I didn't finish thinking that I could have done better- but I know that a bit more endurance would see me under 1.40. Had a long walk back to the car at Island bridge and the legs were buckling on me going down, it was a long slow walk.

Got home to a hot bath and my lovely ladies. THe legs loosened out in the bath and got to watch the rugby. AMazing result but interesting that their performance wasn't perfect. Lots of room for improvement. AMazed that they ended with ROG at 10 and Sexton at 12 having never played that formation before.... Looks like we could get Wales in the QF with a good chance to win that and get into the semis

And then on to the weekend's main event....
    Dublin 1-12 Kerry 1-11
    GOt my ticket on Thurs and then a 2nd on Friday so had to do a draw to give it out at home- my good lady didn't want it so it went to my Mam- I was lucky that was able to relish the build up and get into the game without worrying about having no ticket.
    Surrounded by Kerry folk- amazing the sense of entitlement that they possess and the self belief that they will win, after the first half I was optimistic and sent a text home saying that we needed to believe and drive on for the win. It was really intense, lots of hard tackling but low scoring enough. The goal was a killer, and we looked vulnerable at the back. Start of the second half and we went a few up- then it started to fall apart, Kerry got on top at midfield and controlled the game. THat Donaghy fellow is a real..... @#***** he was all over the place pushing and pulling the Dubs and then falling down whenever anyone went near him- not a sportsman- a very good footballer but not a fellow that I'd want on my team.
    My clubmate scored an almighty goal- he had missed one earlier because the ball didn't come over to him in time- it was like watching in slow motion, I could see him getting the ball, sidestepping and then slotting it home. I let a primal roar out of me- my heart was racing so high and it was such a relief to get back into the game. Just watching the Sunday game and I actually forgot that we equalised, went ahead and went ahead again. I was quite emotional at the end. I was away in the US in '95 when we last won and was only a little fellow in '83 and can't remember much about the game despite being in attendance. A great day to be a Dub

Not certain will I experience the likes of this weekend again from a sporting sense. Great personal achievement and great achievement by teams that I love.
    Up the Dubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the race, your times are really improving.;)

Club session this evening
    warm up 1km or so
    20 min fartlek. 200m fast, 100m slow
    Then 1.5miles not slow but not fast
    Overall 4.5miles or so.
    Loosened the legs a good bit

Club hills session tonight
    about .75mile up to the loop
    A double loop (1350m*2) at around 4.10/km pace
    Break for about 3 or 4 min
    Single loop (apparently quicker according to the coach (good man for leaving me positive for Sunday))
    .75m warmdown back
    Around 5 miles in total
    Think I'll give the Rathfarnham 5km a go.... you never know I could find reserves of speed and endurance lurking somewhere

Race report
    A lovely day for it... day started at 6.45 in the dark with the little one murmuring, a combination of my deaf ear and tiredness meant we squeezed another hour of sleep out of it. 7.45 up and feeding/watering my 2 little ladies. A small bowl of porridge and I got the first half of the recorded rugby. At 9 I got myself ready and off out the door to the race.
    Didn't get to the start line until 9.50 or so- had to queue to use Ireland's worst toilet.....:eek:- and by the time I got chipped, warmed up, stretched and to the start it was very tight. Met a few from the club- we were chatting and suddenly the gun went- Must have been right on the money, we couldn't hear the loudspeaker guy so had no idea the race was about to start.
    First km went fine- was doing a bit of swerving to avoid people and passing people out. 4.09 or so. Second km down to the finish line and up the hill past the mile call out (7.06 says she- not for me it wasn't- about 6.44). Was feeling fine, maybe a little too relaxed. Up into the village and past 2 in 4.16 or so- a bit slow. Tried to push on up the long straight past Terenure college- I was passing people all around me- nobody passed me. Was passing one older guy in I think a Raheny vest who started to race me- had a little joke with him that it would do neither of us good to be racing from here and continued on my way. 3km in around 4.16 again- a little slow but at least consistent. Around the corner and I felt good actually, still passing people and thinking about making a push for home. Over the start line and could see first signs of specatators. This km was around 4.16 again. Still feeling ok and I tried to wind it up. Was picking people off ahead of me, reeling them in- getting tired admittedly, racing each of the 200m signs. At about 2 or 300 m I was going strong and looking at the watch knew I could PB so kept going, one of my clubmates came alongside me at this point- he passed me out and we both put the pedal down sprinting for the line- me to get the PB.
    He crossed just ahead of me in classification but a second slower in time..... My Garmin said 21.06.99 the chip time says 21.08. I'll go with my Garmin......:D
    A lot of the club folk did well-
    Shout out to RayCun who PBed and beat the 20min barrier- fair play Ray, excellent running, delighted you broke the psychological barrier. Onward to better things in the marathon.
    PVincent 19.3x- not bad for an auld fella
    Emily around 25
    New girl 24
    Excellent stuff from the Knocklyon runners!

Happy to PB but could have gone better- for the first time in a long time despite being wrecked at the end I ran well, paced evenly and was able to finish strong- there could have been another 15/30 secs there if I had gone out a little faster but I wouldn't have been able to finish as strongly so who knows. I'm getting closer to the 19.59 barrier, will try to get the hamstrings sorted in the next few weeks- they were fine during the race but I can feel them now. I haven't been able to sprint at ease since last April.
    Must sit down and chart out a few races, put a 5km programme in place and give this a good bash.

Club session
    25 min tempo- 3.4 miles or so- pretty decent clip
    6*300m, very tough after the tempo. 65 sec each or so and was in trouble to hit that time.
    Banjacked after it all
    Probably should have taken it a bit easier after Sunday's exertions

Lunchtime run 4.3miles or so. 7.58 pace
    Was good to get out at lunchtime- on babysitting duty tonight
    Got to run around the glorious castle grounds in KK, beautiful running.
    Hamstring (R) still a bit tight.

Still deciding on my next race- thinking it will likely be the Racepix 5km in Maynooth, will try to do some more speedwork over the next few weeks .

• Advertisement

Long run: 10 miles in 80.42
    Was easy enough going at around 8.15 a mile, increased pace for last 2 miles to try to bring it in under 80 but couldn't get the pace up enough.
    It was good to get the legs going- actually when I think about it now, it was fairly easy going. Did something approaching 11.5 miles in total between warm-up and warm down.
    Hamstrings now sore though,

A great day for rugby as we make the quarters, team shaping up nicely, bad news re Best though- may have a big impact on both scrum and lineout.

Still deciding on my next race- thinking it will likely be the Racepix 5km in Maynooth, will try to do some more speedwork over the next few weeks .

Might be some of us heading to Tarmonbarry after all next week if you are interested.

Aimman wrote: »
    Might be some of us heading to Tarmonbarry after all next week if you are interested.

current plan is to get away for the weekend with the good lady, granny is on babysitting duty but is currently under the weather......

current plan is to get away for the weekend with the good lady, granny is on babysitting duty but is currently under the weather......

If you get away for the weekend, I'd recommend Keenan's hotel in Tarmonbarry. Pop out for the paper about 10:50 :D

Aimman wrote: »
    If you get away for the weekend, I'd recommend Keenan's hotel in Tarmonbarry. Pop out for the paper about 10:50 :D

Not an impossibility yet......
    Granny is not improving so the North without the kids may be out. The beautiful midlands may literally be a runner.....:D

• Advertisement

4 miles this evening.
    Ran some frustration, apathy and bile out of my system
    Just one of those days, didn't want to go running, forced myself out the door, now I'm glad I did.

Haven't posted in over a week
    Being away for the weekend, some laziness and general disinterest in running meant there was nothing to post. Then I stopped the rot
    Ran 4 mile Thurs evening
    Ran 8 mile or so Sat in Marlay- nice run
    Ran 4 mile today

No Garmin with me as I wasn't interested in times or splits- just wanted to run.
    Might sign up for the Racepix 5km this Sat to get back into the swing of things
    Think the club are back out starting at 7 o'clock so that will make it easier for me to get out.

4 miles this evening:
    Not back in time for the club but got out around 8
    Had a very decent canter to be fair.
    Felt good after it
    Must sign up for the Racepix gig.
    Club Thursday night is the plan

Signed up for Saturday- looking forward to having a really good gallop around Maynooth- take that retreating youth and approaching age!

Club this evening
    1km or so warm up
    6 * 400m intervals- 3 sort of uphill into the wind and 3 back- don't trust the coach who started our first interval 250m away from where we should have..... that's my excuse for my rapidly deteriorating performance- found them all tough after the first one.
    3km or so back to the car after- actually had to stop and walk for a few seconds along the way to catch my breath as I was completely bollixed

Good to clear the lungs, probably won't help my efforts on Saturday but c'est la vie- you need to push yourself

Racepix 5km in 21.10
    Was quite relaxed about this. Got there around 10. Parked out the back, registered and got back in the car. It was very blustery and looked it was going to lash. The omens didn't look good. Did a lap of the pitches, stretched and then ran down to the start- about a km. Met the brother in law, meno and a few others before the start.
    It was really windy waiting and they were late starting, subsequently discovered this was due to the chip timing company letting them down. It was quite chilled having said all of that, relaxed and not full of the usual posing that goes on at races.

Started way too quick- 3.53 for the first km. Thought I kept it together for the second but I think it was around 4.08, Began to feel it from here on as I knew I had gone out way too quick. There was some fellow tucked right in behind me for what seemed like 2 or 3 km and he was a real heavy breather- it really pissed me off and I felt like asking him to either pass me out or drop back.. The 2nd lap was hard but the third was a killer. My head kept saying stop for a second, have a little walk, nobody will see you. But I kept plodding along and picked it up on the long straight in. Passed 20min with around 350 to go so was thinking this is what a sub 20 would be like. Managed a bit of a sprint finish. Crossed in 21.10 a few seconds slower than Rathfarnham but not bad considering my training has been poor. I also ran a very different race- out hard and trying to hang on. In retrospect even paced seems to suit me better.

Went back to the hall after, there was a decent spread, tea, coffee, brack and biscuits. Met the Mooney family that run and take pics- had a great chat with them and their folks- truly lovely people. They took a photo of me, the brother in law, themselves and Dave Brady- Mr 200 marathons-.

Think I need to get a decent programme of interval and speed work done. The 3.53 says to me that I have the pace to go under 20 just not the endurance.
    Planning a few sessions of 3* 1km intervals at 3.59 pace, building to 5*1km @ 3.59 over a few weeks and then quickening the pace.
    I probably need to sort the right hamstring out though- it hasn't been right since last April and has prevented me going balls out in training- that's making it easy to cop out in speed work- being honest I don't take it easy but I could push it a little more however I'm always minding myself.

Interesting reading my last post:

So I took the bull by the horns and have changed physio, first session last week, second this evening.
    No running allowed at the moment
    Dx: Lower back and right hip flexibility issues and weak core manifesting as sore glutes and hamstrings

Am on a regieme of stretching and strengthening during the week and then exercises in my session to loosen the whole area out and build some core strength,
    Right hip is in a jock as I type this now after this evenings work out,
    Have to change driving and working position.

Watched the marathon on Monday- had water and sachet for my neighbour who was looking to break 3.00 at Clonskeagh, he had a PB 3.06 but still unhappy with the performance.
    Saw a few from the club go by in the crowds, great performances by them all- even some completing in great times despite running injured. I tried to keep the encouragment up for folks as I was just after the 20m banner and people seemed to hit a slump just here, ended up stretching and massaging a few cramp victims. I've a great respect for the marathon folk, it is hard hard work and a big slog. I;m still uncertain about whether or not I ever want to go that long- I reckon you need a few years of running in the legs to be really able for it, if I was going to run I'd be looking to break 1.30 for the half with a goal of going under 3.30 for the full. Its such hard work that I'm not sure that my body would be able to run for 4 hours at a time!

Anyway, here's hoping my problems get sorted and I can be back running and stronger in a few weeks.
    Well done all you boardsies that ran the marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks for the shout out Ross, It was fierce quiet round there and the pacees were sufferring.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks for the shout out Ross, It was fierce quiet round there and the pacees were sufferring.

No problem, I did what I'd like folks to do for me, makes a big difference when I'm struggling to have a bit of encouragement from the sidelines

Frustrating few weeks, progress on some issues not on others.

Hip flexibility issues sorted- full rotation now in both
    Lower back stiffness in driving- sorted- amazing what a rolled up towel does
    Hammers and glutes still an issue- lots of stretching and some exercises hadn't massively improved things so physio focused work on hammers last session (4th)
    Now have a 30 min circuit to do on hamstring curls, stretches and ball work to strengthen hamstrings.
    The view at present is that very weak hamstrings causing pain have also caused glutes to try to help and caused them to get sore also. Makes sense.

So I've run 3 times in the past weeks- x2 last week on hols. 2 lovely short trail runs in the foot of Mt Blanc, amazing that running even gently at 1700m altitude made me really out of breath
    x1 today on the outside loop of Marlay: very easy. Interesting that I had almost no soreness on the flat but could feel the glutes and hamstrings immediately on the few tiny little uphills.

I'm getting worried - not that I won't get "cured" although that does cross my mind but that I've completely broken my running habit the past few weeks. I will need to get back in to a routine again when things improve eventually

Shout out to the intrepid Bros Pearse runners that represented the club at the Dublin inters last week in Tymon. Well done.

Advertisement