Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview using Sky Satellite and PHILIPS 40PFL7605H

• 08-02-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

Bit of a newbie regarding Soarview so bare with me, but here is the sceal

I bought a PHILIPS 40PFL7605H which is supposed to be decode Saorview so I decided to take one of the cables from my Sky+ box and put it into the tv and see what happens.

I was rather surprised to see it worked!

So I can get the usual RTE 1, RTE2, RTE2 HD and a few others including radio stations.

The problem I am having is the Sky box refuses to accept the signal once it has been split... The splitter is a cheap €4 job from powercity so it might not be suitable but any ideas welcome...

Thanks Zoey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

You can't split the cable from the dish like that. You need to run a seperate dedicated cable from the dish to your TV.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You should be running a cable from an aerial to your TV, not a cable from the dish.

The dish cables should only be going directly into the satellite receiver (Sky box).

I'm actually surprised the dish cable worked for Saorview, so I can only assume you're in a strong signal area, where an indoor aerial might suffice for Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭zoey48

What gave me the idea was I tried the same with my Mothers sky dish and a UK FreeSat box that also worked and she had loads of channels

Anyway do I need to get a new LNB or do I just need to run an extra cable?
    Also what was is the Satelite "F" two way splitter meant for?

Thanks Zoey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it's proper screened satellite cable, it's nearly impossible.

Also connector on Sky+ inlet is screw type and TV aerial is push on type.

Saorview signals are terrestrial, via aerial, 470MHz to 860MHz. The Sky+ box uses a special radio receiver on the dish arm called an LNB to convert the Satellite signals (10,700MHz to 12,600MHz) collected by dish low enough frequency (950MHz to 2,100MHz) to work on coax cable.

put 6" (150cm) of speaker wire or other wire into smaller central hole of TV aerial socket as a simple indoor aerial and try that.

This is a Dish for Satellite 22,500 miles/36,000km above equator.
    134104.png

This is an indoor aerial in bits
    146610.jpg

Similar one assembled
    124740.jpg

Outdoor aerials
    124742.png
    and
    124741.jpg

I can't imagine why that is working, unless what you think you have done isn't really what you have done, i.e. the screen of coax isn't connected properly at TV, or some other variation.

You're not referring to the push plugs/cables RFin RFout1 and RFout2 on the Sky Box?

Baffled.

Advertisement