Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BKs is closed down, is there any place like it?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi me and my gf were big fans of BKs winebar down by the spanish Arch but it closed down last year. We're looking to head out in Galway city sat night and are wondering is there any other place like it around. What we particularly liked was the food, atmosphere and nice relaxed live music sessions they had going, oh yah and the wine.

This was our favourite spot, looking to head out for a nice meal sat, is there any place that matches it in town, we'd greatly appreciate any suggestions
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Funny you should say that, there were a few people chatting in the pub a few nights ago, wonderin' if there was any way to get the owner to reopen at another premises. I'd love that, but strongly doubt it will happen. Some old BKs folks go to Sheridans in the Market. Ard Bia do a wine and cheese board deal on one of the slow dinner nights, think it's Tues. But yeah, really miss the vibe at BKs too. Cava on Dominic St do some nice wine. The pub that was Sheridans on the docks (sorry, forgot the name, Mc Ginns I think?) has some nice wine and was cosy the one time I popped in. Dunno if they do food tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Jeepers. I never heard of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I had a mini heart attack for the 2 seconds I thought you meant Burger King!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The closest you'll get is having a bottle of wine in Java's if someone decides to start playing the piano upstairs.

Not sure if they actually get people in to play.

BK's was good alright. Pity there's nothing like it now.

What used to be Le Graal/Camelot is reopening soon. I know it's a bar but not sure if it's going to be a regular bar or a Latin type bar like before.

kraggy wrote: »
    The closest you'll get is having a bottle of wine in Java's if someone decides to start playing the piano upstairs.

Not sure if they actually get people in to play.

BK's was good alright. Pity there's nothing like it now.

What used to be Le Graal/Camelot is reopening soon. I know it's a bar but not sure if it's going to be a regular bar or a Latin type bar like before.

The acoustics in Javas aren't the best, and it doesn't have the 'cellar' feel. I don't mind people getting up there and playing a bit, but one day some young lads were really testing that the piano was indeed a 'percussion instrument':rolleyes: and people had to ask the staff to ask them nicely to stop. It was teenage afternoon Sat though.

I loved the way if you were in at a solo gig and sipping merrily, the night could end with a mad jam of 6 or 7 merry folks on the stage...aah memories.

Hopefully whatever business is in there in Dom St will have some luck. Apart from the glory days of Le Graal, everything else was a bit fecked.

Might try the Tuesday deal at Ard Bia sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jaysus don't scare me i thought you meant burger king.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

To answer your question, you won't find anywhere else like it, not in Galway anyway, or even in Ireland I would guess. France, perhaps. :) It was pretty authentic and unique.

Now that it's gone, it makes me sorry I didn't appreciate it or go there more often...such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

McDonalds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

ciano1 wrote: »
    I had a mini heart attack for the 2 seconds I thought you meant Burger King!! :p

The mini heart attack and eating Burger King may be linked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Disappointed to hear, was planning on taking the 'whan' there on Valentines for a drink after dinner.

Cheap bottle of plonk it is then!

Bar no. 8 do nice wine too and have artsy evenings. Bit more of a buzz to it than BKs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

Well thanks for that everyone, it seems Cava or Bar no 8 it is so. Pity about BK's(No not BurgarKing) . It had real charactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

BK's (the restaurant at Spanish Arch) was quite possibly the worst dining experience of my/our lives on 2 occasions. Must have got them on bad nights I guess.

BK's (the restaurant at Spanish Arch) was quite possibly the worst dining experience of my/our lives on 2 occasions. Must have got them on bad nights I guess.

I never heard complaints about the actual food itself, or the value of it, but in fairness the service did suffer from lack of staff, etc towards the end. People waiting a long while for food. It wasn't a place to go in a hurry! I'd usually go in and share a cheese platter and have some wine. Went more for the atmosphere and music than the dining myself.

Advertisement