Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented accommodation problems

Options
  • 08-02-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi, not sure where else to post this, but I got a lot of good advice on this forum before.

Anyway I share a house with another guy - there were 4 of us but two have moved out.

The landlord doesn't live there but has always let himself in when preparing rooms etc - i don't think he's entitled to but I always put up with it for the sake of a quiet life, and it never caused huge problems anyway.

Anyway, I've been there for three and a half years and have hinted that I may be leaving soon, although I wasn't sure when and I'm still not. Anyway without a word to me (think he may have told the other tenant) he sent his friends to do up the house - I now realise that this involved ripping up the whole front drive and the steps, and pulling down part of the front wall of the house. The noise during the day has been horrendous and the builders have a key and are free to walk through the house.

Apart from the inconvience (gaping holes in the front drive, dirt on the floors, blocking the way for my motorbike, noise, having to climb down out of my stepless front door, and the front door open during the day) I now notice that my three bottles of very expensive and rare Belgian beer (intended to be a present for my dad) are now missing from the fridge.

I don't want to go accusing the builders and cause rows when I have to see them every day, but I feel something should be said to the landlord - I've always got on with him and don't like rocking the boat too much (I'm not a hugely assertive person, sadly) but I'm just wondering what my rights are here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Moved from tGC.You will probably get better answers here OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

bit of a pickle really. if your housemate was asked and agreed to the work i dont think you can do much.

regarding the missing beer its likely the builders took it but you have no proof so again i dont really see what you can do

Advertisement