Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertility Treatment Newbie

Options
  • 08-02-2011 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

TTC for 15months. Lucky enough to already have a 3 year old which conceived very quickly, have regular periods between 28-32 days, 35, neither of us smoke or are overweight. Have used the fertility indicator sticks, also used basal thermometer for a few months and both tell me the same thing, I ovulate around day 16. So baffled why it's not happening. Next step was to go to Doc who took a blood test (didn't mention a good time to do this, should he have?) my hormones came back normal. Following that my DH went for Semen Analysis and he is normal. We've now got an appointment at Fertility Clinic in 9 weeks and want to know what to expect for the next step. It's a consultation for myself and hubby but does anyone know what is the most likely next step? Have been reading all the forums and there's mention of Clomid, but is that prescribed when periods are regular like mine? What about further investigations for me? Please help as I am a Newbie to all the TTC terminology and process. Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi, Patsygrey,

I had my first (and only) appointment at the clinic, I imagine that some of them vary, but mine was fairly straightforward - in my case I had a hormone issue which is being treated with meds.

Do you know what day of your cycle your hormones were checked? they normally check twice - once between days 3-7 (pre ovulation) and once sometime after day 21 (post ovulation) but before your next period. These indicate your base levels of hormone, and also the day 21 bloods show if you ovulated or not.

They might do a transvaginal scan, or refer you for a HSG (xray with dye to see if your tubes are clear) and I think they checked to see if my bloods had an antibody issue with his sperm (didnt ask, but it did not come back as an issue) if you are not ovulating you may be put on clomid, but I'm afraid I dont know too much about it. I dont think you would be put on it if you are shown to be ovulating.

The transvaginal took place on the day of my appointment, it was a doddle, (and I was on day 1 of my period!) The HSG I had the following week, and they can tell you unofficially on the day of that if things look good or not.

Best of luck with your appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Our consultant went through my blood results & partners semen analysis. He then did an ultrasound where he noticed I'd a large ovarian Cyst. He told me I was to get bloods done to check for endometriosis and to make an appointment to come back in a few weeks.

When I went back they said I didn't have endo. They did another ultrasound, followed by a transvaginal scan and confirmed that thankfully my cyst had gone down on its own, so I didn't need an op.

They told me to book in for a HSG, which I got a few weeks later and to get repeat 3 & 21 day bloods down, which I did, but I haven't been back to get my results yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

There is a lot of new terms to learn, it can be quiet daunting, thankfully this forum doesn't allow all those confusing codes cos they can be really confusing when your trying to learn an figure it out.

http://www.cyclespage.com is a free site which helps you track your cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mouse72

Hi there, I've just started fertililty treatment, its all very confusing looking at so many sites which offer so much differing info! Saw consultant for first time in Jan, he did lots of blood tests, then referred me for the HSG x-ray, this came back showing no blockages, partners semen sample also fine, so problem is me!! Consultant said today (2nd appt) next stage is to check 21 day cycle bloods to see if im ovulating or more importantly ovulation properly. We had been trying for 15 months also using ovulation kits, when i asked Consultant about it he said they are a load of rubbish. While they may indicate youre ovulating apparantly there are some hormones whos job it is is to make sure the egg makes sure it gets where its supposed to etc. So, while you might get a positive result on the ovulation test, you may still be lacking in a hormone thats needed to make sure you ovulation properly (who knew!!) I thought if you ovulated you ovulated!! Anyway, back again in early April for results of 21 day bloods and then he's starting me on clomid. When I asked how fixable the problem is, seeing as its me, his answer was "very". So after all my panic, and worrying about months of maybe more tests etc etc it seems that things can be sorted out fairly quickly.

Best of luck with your trying!! Here for any other questions I can help you with : )

Advertisement