Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree advice/garden design in Co. Galway?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building my new home in a rural coastal location in west Galway.
    The site is quite large and I want to plant a lot of trees, preferably native species, especially around the boundary to both provide privacy and to create some shelter as the site is fairly exposed.

However I have no idea what trees would suit the site and my needs, eg. soil type, wind conditions, fast growing, native, etc.

Any posts with advice would be appreciated (or any pms with recommendations of professionals who could help). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing to bear in mind is that if you buy bare root seedlings from a supplier, you may not have as much control over where they came from; if you're willing to play the long game, it might be worth collecting seed from trees locally - from genetic stock you know will do well in your location. this would be especially useful, as you say yourself that it's a fairly exposed site.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

The idea of planting locally sourced seeds is nice but I'm afraid I just don't have the patience for waiting many years for the results to pay off!

The site is on a steep slope so the higher part (where house is) is quite exposed but the lower part would be more sheltered. The house is facing downslope and looking right into the back windows of our neighbours in the next field down the hill.
    For both our sakes I would like a screen of trees which would grow fairly quickly to give both houses some privacy. But I would want them to grow just high enough to do this while still letting us enjoy the sea view out over the neighbour's roof.

I think I really need a professional horticulturist/garden designer who knows their trees well to visit the site, but I could only find one in the Galway area when I searched online and he didn't reply to email or voicemail.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 d32

what trees and bushes are growing well local? are they evergreen? have a look at future forest's or local large nursery's sites for hedging...they'll sell 'whips'. hedging options with 'belgian fencing' , planting double rows and intricate designs suited to understorey trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building my new home in a rural coastal location in west Galway.
    The site is quite large and I want to plant a lot of trees, preferably native species, especially around the boundary to both provide privacy and to create some shelter as the site is fairly exposed.

However I have no idea what trees would suit the site and my needs, eg. soil type, wind conditions, fast growing, native, etc.

Any posts with advice would be appreciated (or any pms with recommendations of professionals who could help). Thanks in advance.
    try murphys garden centre out the knock road in tuam.we were there today buying trees and hedging and we got excellent advice and their prices are topclass.the guy working there really knew his stuff regarding trees!

Advertisement