Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few hedging questions

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hoping to plant some hedging at the weekend. I'm out in the country but have a neighbour on one side. On this side I was going to go with hornbeam so that I can keep it fairly neat and tidy. This boundary is about 90m long. Across the back I was planning to go with mostly whitethorn with some other stuff (rowan, holly, hornbeam, dog rose etc) thrown in. This boundary is about 60m.
    My questions are:

1. Will the 90m of hornbeam be too 'boring'. If I was to mix this up a bit & put in a few copper beach, rowan or field maple (open to suggestions) how would I do it? - Plant 10m of the hornbeam then say 3 copper beech, then 10m hornbeam, then 3 rowan etc. Or just mix the whole lot up?

2. The soil is pretty wet at the moment so i was planning to plant the lot by digging slots as described here: http://www.hedgeplanter.ie/hedge-planting-ireland.html
    Is this method appropriate for the hornbeam. I have access to a rotavator so could use this to dig a trench if preferable.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Mix it up, like a hedgerow!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

If I was going to plant a hedge for privacy it would have to be green beech as the leaves,although brown,stay on all winter.The hornbeam,although faster growing,shed their leaves in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

wayoutwest wrote: »
    If I was going to plant a hedge for privacy it would have to be green beech as the leaves,although brown,stay on all winter.The hornbeam,although faster growing,shed their leaves in the autumn.

They don't! Hornbeam is similar to beech and retains the brown leaves during winter. I'm looking out at 55 metres of Hornbeam hedging as I speak. :)

Advertisement