Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting insured after driving without insurance

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi boardsies,

im looking for some advice after a pretty bad 12 months.
    lost my job last april and was financially in a bad state.

the bad
    • car insurance policy was cancelled by insurance company for non payment (missed 3 payments).
    • was stopped by the guards and summonsed for driving without insurance.
    the good

• got the benefit of probation act at court. no conviction was recorded but had to pay donation to court poor box
    • got a new contract of employment last week and am trying to get everything back on track.

what im trying to find out is what the implications of what happened during the summer is for my next insurance quote.

for example what do i say when im asked if i have any convictions for no insurance

what are the consequences of having an insurance policy cancelled
    for non payment?

im not looking for the high horse brigade to berate me for driving without insurance.
    im just looking to start 2011 over again with hopefully some helpful advice

thanks for reading

beecata

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You didn't receive any convictions, so there's no need to mention it. I assume you got points on your licence though? This you will have to declare but it probably won't have much of an impact.

You got off lightly it seems, you're very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭benagain

ur in the clear say fook all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beecata

@magicmarker.
    didnt receive any points and yes i was very lucky.
    had never been in any trouble before and the judge was in good form i think.

what about the insurance being cancelled for non payment. has anyone experience of dealing with this?

I would imagine the only problem you'll have regarding non payment would be with your original provider, and even at that they might just insist on full payment up front of a deposit, that's if they even care! But no other provider will have access to that kind of info so it won't impact you.

Have to say though, what an absolute joke of a judicial system when someone driving without insurance, regardless of circumstance, is not even given points on their licence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The questions you will be asked are;

Has any insurer cancelled your insurance or imposed special terms on you/ and
    Do you have any motoring convictions or have any impending?

Answer them as they are presented and see what they say. Other than that, you are getting bad advice

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    [/B]Answer them as they are presented and see what they say. Other than that, you are getting bad advice

How so?

im not going to try to justify my actions as i made a series of stupid decisions but i went to court and thats what the end result was.

this is not about me trying to avoid or circumvent anything i just want to do some homework on the subject before i get on the phone to the insurance companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Actually afaik you will be asked if you have had any previous insurance cancelled for any reason by the insurer. In this case yes you have, for non payment. It shouldn't push up your premium but they would prob ask for a deposit or full payment up front.

As for the convictions and points. If you havn't got any, then you are all clear.

ok thanks all for the info. im going to get on the phone in the am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

How so?
    Because if you don't answer a question correctly, as it is presented, it is a misrepresentation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I find it very difficult to believe that you got the probation act for driving with no insurance.

Are you sure that you didn't get the probation act for failing to produce the cert.? I have never heard of a judge giving the PA for no insurance.

Advertisement