Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to a bigger house - can I move the mortgage?

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm thinking a few years ahead and assuming all is well I might like to move to a bigger house and take on a larger mortgage. At present I have a tracker and I am wondering is the mortgage tied to the existing house. Without asking the bank I assume there are 2 options available.
    1. I ask to expand the mortgage, the bank might say this is ok but there is no chance I'll get a tracker on it.
    2. I have to cancel the tracker and take out a brand new mortgage.

Any advice would be most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You will almost certainly lose the tracker when moving house I'm afraid.

If it is a keenly priced tracker (+1% or similar) then don't give it up lightly. Treat it like an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Mortgages don't move with you. They are attached to properties. You will have to pay off your existing mortgage and take out a new mortgage on your new house, so you are likely to lose the tracker as banks aren't offering them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

There's no "likely" about it, you will pay off the mortgage on your existing house and will have a new variable rate mortgage for the new house which will actually increase the overall cost of your new house compared to the cost of your existing home e.g. Lets say that you have a 250k mortgage over 30 years and have a tracker at 2% for the life of the mortgage (obivously the rate will be higher in the future) the total finance cost would be 82500. Then lets say that you move the mortgage to a variable of lets say 4% over the same term the cost of credit would shoot up to 179500 over the term.

This is why you should think carefully before you decide to trade up

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Broche07

thanks for all the advice. Not want I wanted to hear but now I know.

Advertisement