Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Glazing Who's The Best Company??and A GOOD STOVE

Options
  • 09-02-2011 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Looking for real good advice on Double Glazing,My parents are pensioners,they have a 2story house in Galway with old aluminum windows,they are looking to replace them with UPVC windows as a son looking out for their best intersts and for not for them to get ripped off can anyone reccomoned a good glazing company??they are looking to replace 12windows and a back door.we did have quotes from Doyles,Senator,Athlone Windows,Wrights,Doyles were the cheapest at 4500,but then a rep from Senators pointed out that Doyles(didint tell him name of company as they left a samle of a window) joints on outside of windows are not imbeaded/sealed properly and are easy to break into??was reading up on company Fairco??in Dublin but they seem very expensive,would apprecite any good advice also the house was built in 1984,recently got walls and attic and heatin controls done with grant but still house is cold after half an hour espically when heating goes off,use an open fire in front room,spend about 2000eoro on blocks and oil looking to get a stove in to burn blocks and turf Can anyone reccomoned a very good STOVE,really appreciate any good advice?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Theres a grant available. housing aid for older persons. up to 30k. dependant on parents income/ financial situation anyone over 60 is eligable. the window man i use is in monaghan but i know he has done work out as far as moycullen. pm me if you want to get in touch

• Registered Users Posts: 46,039 ✭✭✭✭muffler

1chippy wrote: »
    Theres a grant available. housing aid for older persons. up to 30k.
    You're a bit wide of the mark. The amount payable towards the cost of replacing windows will only be a fraction of that amount.

The 30k is a "blanket" grant covering a wide assortment of improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nunu1 wrote: »
    ,Doyles were the cheapest at 4500,but then a rep from Senators pointed out that Doyles(didint tell him name of company as they left a samle of a window) joints on outside of windows are not imbeaded/sealed properly and are easy to break into?

Could it be a case of the rep trying to scaremonger you into going with his product?Could you find out about this problem/fault from looking at other samples?I have windows from Doyles and I wouldn't have a clue what to look for or even what this problem is.
    My parents put in Stanley Cara stove a few months back and are very impressed with it and the heat output is very good(just heating the room no rads off it) for the tiny amount of fuel (turf) they use.they reckon they are using around half the amount compared to the open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MightyDucks

Try munster joinery for the windows and door.

Advertisement