Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Story Of Ireland

• 09-02-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭

Was well impressed with The Story of Ireland, I would place it just as good as BBC Scotlands History of Scotland, well researched with appropriate visuals, Celtic art and thunderous folk music. Where the discussion of Brian Borus death was concerned I think the Brian Boru March medley would have been appropriate, but a small complaint for a well produced historical programme.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I'm so glad you're giving that a positive review, I wanna watch it on the RTE player later, so now I'm looking forward to it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bVANDAMME

Great show, more or less provided a summary of the 3 years I've spent doing Archaeology in UCC. That being said, there are a few snippets I enjoyed seeing as someone with no archaeological training as much as someone with such training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Trying to find this on RTE Player without success.

Am I blind? Or is it just because I'm outside Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Vorsprung wrote: »

There is an international rteplayer in beta I can always watch stuff on that, but you can always try and get an irish VPN service, that way you can see it. You'll only have international player in Beta if you're on the rte site a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 IsThisTaken

I found it to be just another re-writing of Irish history that proper Irish people have had to suffer in recent years. Makes me sick to hear a so-called Irishman talk about Ireland prior to partition and then calls what's left of Ireland, "southern Ireland" ...Ireland post partition. Some people have no shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

Vorsprung wrote: »

PM me and i can give it to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I found it to be just another re-writing of Irish history that proper Irish people have had to suffer in recent years. Makes me sick to hear a so-called Irishman talk about Ireland prior to partition and then calls what's left of Ireland, "southern Ireland" ...Ireland post partition. Some people have no shame.

But the programme was made for a British audience.
    If anything this documentary just reinforced the view that the impartial British army were powerless to prevent the Irish killing each other in some 17th century religious war.
    The documentary showed a civil rights march in 1968 and then fast forwarded to Bloody Friday in July 1972. The Falls curfew in 1970, internment in 1971 and Bloody Sunday in 1972 were conviently overlooked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

But the programme was made for a British audience.
    If anything this documentary just reinforced the view that the impartial British army were powerless to prevent the Irish killing each other in some 17th century religious war.
    The documentary showed a civil rights march in 1968 and then fast forwarded to Bloody Friday in July 1972. The Falls curfew in 1970, internment in 1971 and Bloody Sunday in 1972 were conviently overlooked.

'ireland a television history' by robert kee another bbc/rte production tells a balanced account up to 1980
    its available online through youtube
    'the story of ireland' is a terrible series

Advertisement