Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6230i on 3 network?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi I'm wondering if it's possible to use a nokia 6230i on the 3 network, I've been getting different answers from different sources (even 3 customer care!) currently waiting on unlocking code from previous provider so wondering if I'm wasting my time.
    If it's not possible then is there a 3 compatible phone that fits the same car kit cradle as the 6230i? I know its an old car kit but its handy and still works!
    Thanks for any advice :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Wont work properly as it is not a 3G phone. It will roam on the vodafone 2G network.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Cark-91-Bluetooth-Converter-Adaptor/dp/B0018MQPI0

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nokia-6310i-CARK91-Bluetooth-Adapter-Kit-CARK-91-CARK11-/260577806583

You could put this in the cradle and use any bluetooth phone.

You could probably get it cheaper if you look about.

If you google Cark-11w you should be able to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It depends what exact model of carkit you have, but chances are it has bluetooth so will work with phones now. It wont charge or hold them in the cradle though.

As already pointed out, you need a 3G handset for the 3 network. Some gsm handsets will work but most wont.

Even though the 6230i had bluetooth, the early handsfree kits were not bluetooth.

I got a kit in 2002 and it did not have bluetooth it connected with the pins on hte underside of the phone. (It was called a CARK 91, if you google the images you will see if it matches.) the later bluetooth cradles were generally for the pop-port phones which was the next generation of phones.

This adapter in my post above would have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dingding wrote: »
    Even though the 6230i had bluetooth, the early handsfree kits were not bluetooth.

I got a kit in 2002 and it did not have bluetooth it connected with the pins on hte underside of the phone. (It was called a CARK 91, if you google the images you will see if it matches.) the later bluetooth cradles were generally for the pop-port phones which was the next generation of phones.

This adapter in my post above would have worked.

Ye, but the kit might have been purchased later than the phone etc. The kit is pretty much the same, it was a Ck7 without bluetooth and then changed to the ck7w which had bluetooth iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Trigger007

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses
    I think the version I have is CK 7 or CK 7W, not aware that it has the Bluetooth but even if it did I still wouldn't use it, (runs down the battery,*doesn't disconnect from your car sometimes, and don't like the idea of it on the whole time, cant be good for you!)*
    I prefer the plug in cradle and charge option. So basically I need a 3 compatible phone (second hand even)*that fits the underneath pin things on the cradle, even if it doesn't "sit" properly (can do a DIY job on it :D).
    I'm sickened I changed to the 3 network now as I didn't realise I had to upgrade my phone too therefore making my car kit useless!

Thanks again all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The bluetooth does no harm, I use it with that car the kit the whole time.

There's no phone on any of the irish networks at the moment that will do what you want.

Treat yourself to a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Trigger007

Really?? Even if I did buy a new phone, there's none that fit that car kit?? :(

The bluetooth uses a very low power as it is designed for a personal area network. Also if the car kit is wired correctly it should power down when the ignition key is turned off thus disconnecting the bluetooth connection.

Advertisement