Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Spoilers UFC 129: St.Pierre v Shields Spoilers***

• 09-02-2011 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭

This is a while off, but the reason i'm starting this thread is because of all the talk of GSP v Silva.

This is a joke IMO! Because GSP still have to get past Jake Shields. And for some amazing reason, EVERYONE is counting him out.

Shields is in an amazing position here. he gets dominated, thats what everyone expected. He wins, he's world champ. This is the same guy who not only beat Dan Henderson less than a year ago, but he completely dominated him and made him look like some sort of ordinary fighter!

I just read that Shields is 6/1 with some bookmakers and he's 4/1 on Boyles. I'm jumping on that bet. Although i think GSP will come good and win the fight, 4/1 is a ridiculous price.

Thoughs on the fight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The only thing I may have a hard time with is shields getting a shot so soon in the UFC, mind you a 15 win streak speaks volumes especially most recent wins over Henderson and Lawler.

Then there is the question of who else is there for GSP before Silva if it happens? and both of those names where mentioned in the bisping thread and neither have a better chance than Shields v GSP imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

There's literally nobody else left at WW for GSP! There's no point in him sticking around if he beats Shields.

Penn. Fitch, Koscheck, Alves, Hardy........... he's made miced meat of them all. Add Shields to that list and what you've got is a move up to MW!

But as i said before, Shields is being criminally overlooked in this fight! He's a sick sick dude! 4/1 is enormous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MrStuffins wrote: »
    There's literally nobody else left at WW for GSP! There's no point in him sticking around if he beats Shields.

Penn. Fitch, Koscheck, Alves, Hardy........... he's made miced meat of them all. Add Shields to that list and what you've got is a move up to MW!

But as i said before, Shields is being criminally overlooked in this fight! He's a sick sick dude! 4/1 is enormous!

I'd be willing to take them odd's , pocketed a few bucks from Fedor's loss last year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

I agree, Jake shields is an excellent fighter it's sad to see that many people see him just going to lose then GSP Vs Silva "super fight" at middleweight.

I'm a big GSP fan :D (Who isn't?) but I still want to see intresting fights and
    now im more incline to sit on the fence this time and cheer both fighter on.

Kerikosan wrote: »
    I'm a big GSP fan :D(Who isn't?)

You wouldn't believe the amount of GSP haters here. There's a she dload of posters who would love to see him get his ass handed to him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I said this in the original GSP v Silva.They both had to get through very tough fights.Now that there is talk of Evans dropping to MW should Shogun lose his title in March.Adding Evans and GSP to the MW division give's Silva a lot of work.

How long is it since GSP faced a wrestler like Shields.This is a very hard fight to call GSP has been fighting strikers for some time now barr an odd one.Although i must admit i was surprised by his striking against Hardy.

This fight could go either way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You wouldn't believe the amount of GSP haters here. There's a she dload of posters who would love to see him get his ass handed to him!

*out of breath* I got here as fast as I could... :D

I just like cheering for the underdog, and when it comes to GSP,Silva,Penn everyone is an underdog. Add in the fact that these guys are so good that their fights becoming boring through dominance and thats enough reason for me to want to see them gets their ass's kicked.

I see this fight going the way of the Kos one, GSP is too complete at WW. He mightn't do it with his jab but he will have some technique that Shields can't cope with and he'll use it to get a unanimous decision.

I'd rather see Fitch get another go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

the whole fight boils down to 1 question. can shields get gsp down? personally i don't think so at which point gsp picks him apart with strikes. even if he does take him down i don't see him keeping him down [don;t know the weights for the next one] also gsp looks a lot bigger than shields so strength alone could get gsp out of tight spots. love to see the status quo upset but don't think shileds brings enough tools to upset gsp imo

I really hope this isn't a boring fight. GSP has to take it to Jake in the stand up and put him out in the first or "The Wet Blanket" will somehow grind out a decision on the ground. Think he has the best chance in the division of taking GSP down with that single leg and submitting him with his out of this world Jiu Jitsu. Jake Shields is like MMA's biggest plan wrecker so I can see him putting a nice little stopper on any talk of GSP-Silva after this :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I see it going the same way as GSP and Koscheck's last fight.

• Advertisement

Didn't shields come rediculously close to getting stopped by henderson in the first round?? hendo mighta punched himself out that round, this is why i'm a bit worried about him fighting GSP, It will be one of the most interesting fights to see if it gets down to the ground but GSP never gets into risky situations and always keeps the fight where he knows he has a big advantage so i cant see him allowing the fight to go to the ground to be honest. I hope it does go to the ground tho as it will be a much better fight that way!

Didn't shields come rediculously close to getting stopped by henderson in the first round?? hendo mighta punched himself out that round, this is why i'm a bit worried about him fighting GSP, It will be one of the most interesting fights to see if it gets down to the ground but GSP never gets into risky situations and always keeps the fight where he knows he has a big advantage so i cant see him allowing the fight to go to the ground to be honest. I hope it does go to the ground tho as it will be a much better fight that way!

he leveled him with a punch and came REALLY close to finishing.......... but the cause of Shields' domination wasn't that Hendo punched him out, Shields out wrestled him, out fought him on the ground and was able to mount him a ridiculous amount of times!

he leveled him with a punch and came REALLY close to finishing.......... but the cause of Shields' domination wasn't that Hendo punched him out, Shields out wrestled him, out fought him on the ground and was able to mount him a ridiculous amount of times!

Yeh exactly, i only saw it on TV when it was on live so memory's a little hazy, but it does seem a lot of people remember the dominance of shields in rounds 2-5 and never mention that henderson was a couple of clean strikes away from a first round stoppage. Shields did well to recover though, but i can see GSP coming up with a solid gameplan to exploit his weaknesses and dictate where the fight ends up too.

I could be wrong here but wasn't Koscheck's gameplan to take GSP down and submit him? If Camarillo and AKA think he could do it then Jake Shields should be more than capable. Don't see it happening though, GSP will jab his head into the crowd then Nick Diaz will probably attack him after the fight.

Yeh exactly, i only saw it on TV when it was on live so memory's a little hazy, but it does seem a lot of people remember the dominance of shields in rounds 2-5 and never mention that henderson was a couple of clean strikes away from a first round stoppage. Shields did well to recover though, but i can see GSP coming up with a solid gameplan to exploit his weaknesses and dictate where the fight ends up too.

Yeah but the fact that Hendo almost beat him isnt the point, the point here is that the bookies and everyone else dont seem to believe that Sheilds has the quality to beat a top guy like GSP. But he has shown he HAS got the quality already.

Also, if him almost getting smashed shows anything, it shows he can make a great come back.
    I could be wrong here but wasn't Koscheck's gameplan to take GSP down and submit him? If Camarillo and AKA think he could do it then Jake Shields should be more than capable. Don't see it happening though, GSP will jab his head into the crowd then Nick Diaz will probably attack him after the fight.

I was listening to Rogan's podcast and he was saying how Dana is still wary or Diaz because after he fought Joe Riggs, they both went to the hospital and Diaz attacked Riggs in the ward.... while they were both wearing IVs. Crazy crazy lad!

was listening to Rogan's podcast and he was saying how Dana is still wary of Diaz because after he fought Joe Riggs, they both went to the hospital and Diaz attacked Riggs in the ward.... while they were both wearing IVs. Crazy crazy lad!

That whole camp apart from Shields is like one big Anger Management class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Great line up.
    Will it be broadcast live in ireland?
    Used to catch lot of ufc on bravo i think but is this going to be pay per view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

M three wrote: »
    Great line up.
    Will it be broadcast live in ireland?
    Used to catch lot of ufc on bravo i think but is this going to be pay per view?

Theyre all broadcast on ESPN UK live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Don't think so, did Koscheck even attempt a single takedown? Looked like Koscheck just wanted to take GSPs head off with a big lumbering right hook. Every time he was hitting fresh air and George was beating him to the punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ush1 wrote: »
    Don't think so, did Koscheck even attempt a single takedown? Looked like Koscheck just wanted to take GSPs head off with a big lumbering right hook. Every time he was hitting fresh air and George was beating him to the punch.

Koscheck took him down at the end of the first round handily enough but I can't remember him even shooting in the rest of the fight. It seemed strange why he didn't.

• Advertisement

Wrestling is heavily reliant on depth perception. Which Cyclops Koscheck was lacking after the first round.

This will be interesting. Shields is MMA's biggest plan wrecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I just read that Shields is 6/1 with some bookmakers and he's 4/1 on Boyles. I'm jumping on that bet. Although i think GSP will come good and win the fight, 4/1 is a ridiculous price.

Thoughs on the fight?

Did you see the Shields/Kampman fight?

Yes I did.

From your post i'm guessing you were gonna tell me how ordinary he was or something? If so, I guess you had never seen Shields before this fight? Completely destroying everyone in his path? Recovering from a big shot and dominating Dan Henderson for 4 whole rounds, mounting him at will? dominating Robbie Lawler, paul Daley, Mayhem Miller, Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami etc? (Granted, the Okami fight was close..............)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yes I did.

From your post i'm guessing you were gonna tell me how ordinary he was or something? If so, I guess you had never seen Shields before this fight? Completely destroying everyone in his path? Recovering from a big shot and dominating Dan Henderson for 4 whole rounds, mounting him at will? dominating Robbie Lawler, paul Daley, Mayhem Miller, Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami etc? (Granted, the Okami fight was close..............)
    He was definitely out in that fight until his head hit the canvas :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wrestling is heavily reliant on depth perception. Which Cyclops Koscheck was lacking after the first round.

This will be interesting. Shields is MMA's biggest plan wrecker.

That's true. I think I remember Koscheck on TUF mentioning GSP having a weak chin that he's gonna put to the test like Serra did or something. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm with Stuffins.

You are obviously basing your opinion on that single fight. which is a huge error imo.

Firstly, have a look at his previous fights.
    Secondly, the last fight was his first cut to 170. It took a lot out of him and he gassed. He'll be better prepared now, will be cutting from a safer weight. And he'll enter the octagon in far better shape, so regardless as to weither GSP is better or not. Shields will be better this time around

Mellor wrote: »
    Firstly, have a look at his previous fights.
    Secondly, the last fight was his first cut to 170. It took a lot out of him and he gassed. He'll be better prepared now, will be cutting from a safer weight. And he'll enter the octagon in far better shape, so regardless as to weither GSP is better or not. Shields will be better this time around

Exactly and there's the whole UFC debut curse that a lot of people seem to suffer from.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm with Stuffins.

You are obviously basing your opinion on that single fight. which is a huge error imo.

Also, i think this is the error the bookmakers are making. Shields is GSP's toughest fight since Fitch (i'm excluding Penn here though).

He'd smash Kos, Hardy AND Alves IMO!

Also, i think this is the error the bookmakers are making. Shields is GSP's toughest fight since Fitch (i'm excluding Penn here though).

I think so too. GSP hasn't come across a wrestler who was that good at Jiu Jitsu since Fitch really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Love this poster.

206853_10150552575155650_39734800649_18382732_3349246_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

I think GSP hurt him badly pretty early with the jab, could have threw him off a bit. I'd actually much prefer to see GSP against Diaz than against Shields, it would be a far better fight all round. Saying that Shields is highly underrated coming into this fight, I think he has the ability to outgrapple GSP (obviously GSP's striking is a lot better) Im defo gonna stick a few bucks on him on the off chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Gracie academy are on a serious roll at the moment. I'll stick a tenner on Shields for this one.

If GSP wins, I reckon he'll have to move up a weight class. He has dominated all before him.

Would like to see Shields do it.

On an aside, I rather like the promo video for this actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

AWESOME promo. Thy've done some GREAT work recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

ufc129_poster_02_medium.jpg

• Advertisement

Primetime Episode 1

seadnamac wrote: »
    ufc129_poster_02_medium.jpg

I like this poster . Still think GSP is going to walk over him .

I like this poster . Still think GSP is going to walk over him .

I completely agree. I don't claim to have seen much of Shields' fights in Japan but if his last three fights are a good representation then I'm a bit surprised at how many people think he might win here. GSP will have him for dinner with a nice French wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I'm not up for this fight at all really, it has snoozefest written all over it. I like the rest of the card though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

just because two lads will fight on the ground for most likely 5 rounds dont make it a snooze fest.

would you prefer a first round first min KO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I'm not up for this fight at all really, it has snoozefest written all over it. I like the rest of the card though.

I'm actually really excited for this one. we all know GSP likes to wrestle the strikers and strike the ground guys. So I'm looking forward to watching Georges stand with Jake while he uses his defensive wrestling.

TechnoPool wrote: »
    just because two lads will fight on the ground for most likely 5 rounds dont make it a snooze fest.

would you prefer a first round first min KO?

Yes and I think Tank Abbott is the best at ultimate fighting.

You don't need to read so deeply into things. Both fighters are boring. Whether it's on the ground or standing it'll be boring.

I most certainly would prefer a first round KO.

Yes and I think Tank Abbott is the best at ultimate fighting.

You don't need to read so deeply into things. Both fighters are boring. Whether it's on the ground or standing it'll be boring.

I most certainly would prefer a first round KO.

Let's not start confusing your own opinions with fact now.

Let's not start confusing your own opinions with fact now.

Both fighters' last three fights have ended in decisions. Five of the six fights were five-rounders. That's twenty-eight rounds with no knockouts, TKOs or submissions. That's fact.

I find predictability boring and like to see a bit of everything. It is Mixed Martial Arts after all. That's just my opinion.

Both fighters are boring.
    Both fighters' last three fights have ended in decisions.

Since when are decisions boring? Last year's fight of the Year was a decision victory for Leonard Garcia over The Korean Zombie!

Shields has never been boring, you're basing this on one fight and I know it! The Hendo fight? Miller? Daley? These fights were boring?

Also, anyone who thinks GSP's complete dominance over Koscheck was boring needs to take up a new sport. Maybe wrestling bears with their bare hands!

Since when are decisions boring? Last year's fight of the Year was a decision victory for Leonard Garcia over The Korean Zombie!

When it's the same fighters in decision fights over and over. Did you see Garcia/Jung 2? :pac:

Both fighters' last three fights have ended in decisions. Five of the six fights were five-rounders. That's twenty-eight rounds with no knockouts, TKOs or submissions. That's fact.

Yes, that is correct.
    I find predictability boring and like to see a bit of everything. It is Mixed Martial Arts after all. That's just my opinion.

Yes, that is correct.

When it's the same fighters in decision fights over and over. Did you see Garcia/Jung 2? :pac:

Yes I did! It ended n a submission. So? Since when is the end of the fight the only important part entertainment wise? Bonnar v Griffin has no KOs or Submissions either.

As you say, it's MIxed Martial Arts! You should be prepared to watch fights and not have them end in devestating fashion.

Yes I did! It ended n a submission. So? Since when is the end of the fight the only important part entertainment wise? Bonnar v Griffin has no KOs or Submissions either.

As you say, it's MIxed Martial Arts! You should be prepared to watch fights and not have them end in devestating fashion.

Woah you back-edited your post after I'd replied to it :confused:

I thought the Hendo/Shields fight wasn't particulalry memorable (apart from what happened afterwards), all I remember of the Miller fight is that Miller had a good guillotine in but the round ended. Then he came out tired for the last two rounds and Shields sat on top of him until the bell.

I'm not anti-ground or even anti-wrestling. Did anyone see Ben Askren's fight on Saturday? He basically uses superior wrestling to hold people down for five rounds so that the judges give him a decision. He has gone to the olympics as a wrestler. Personally, I find wins like this boring. I know it isn't the job of sport to be entertaining, but it is nice when it is.

My original point is that I'm not excited for this fight because compared to most other headline fights, there will probably won't be anything memorable about it.

If they were going to do GSP vs Silva, then it should have been at this event, in the sold-out 55,000 seater arena. It's not gonna be one for the fans watching in the cheap seats.

Yes, that is correct.

Yes, that is correct.

Any thoughts on MMA?

• Advertisement
Advertisement