Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Spoilers UFC 129: St.Pierre v Shields Spoilers***

Comments

Hey I'm thinking about putting down a tenner on Jake Shields winning by submission on Paddy Power because he's at a 9/1 for submitted GSP, its a long shot but I could win €90. And I was thinking of putting down a tenner on Randy beating Lyoto by decision with is a 9/2. What do you think? Is it a waste of money?

Definitely not. Randy can never be counted out and is good odds at 9/2. Machida has great wrestling for a Brazilian fighter too.
    I think the bookies are being a bit naive giving 9/1 on Shields winning by sub. He has a very good chance of subbing GSP, Shields is a very high level black belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu and has (a bigger than some people think) edge on the ground, they showed a video of him rolling with Phil Davis the other day, take in mind Phil is a 205'er and I think he cuts ~30 pounds off his natural weight to fight there so you can bet he was 240 when Shields was rolling with him. Great bargain on that bet imo.

On another note did anyone see the primetime episode three. Jakes dad says "Jake always does what's unexpected, And I expect him to win!" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Hendo went for the finish in the first round against Shields but he survived. People don't realise how resilient Shields is. GSP won't be able to finish Shields if Hendo's Overhand From Hell didn't. (it was close enough though)
    Wrong! GSP can punch harder than Rampage or Cain Valasquez and can even punch harder than Shogun can kick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzmUhhB8SmA&feature=player_embedded

That's right! 2,859 lbs of force! That's 33% more than Ivan Drago's best punch in Rocky IV after a boat-load of steroids and an awesome montage sequence!!! And it doesn't stop there - 3,477 lbs in a kick! 6,000 lbs of force total delivered in a sequence in under a second! This god-like creature known as GSP could make Drago his bitch, kick Shoguns shins into splinters and probably knock out the somehow ever-concious Rocky Balboa!!! That does it, I am off to tear out both my kneecaps, paint them like ladybugs, put them on my desk as paperweights, and then sell that desk to pay for my new jetpack BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY WE’RE LIVING IN A ****ING FANTASY WORLD.

Yeah, that or Sports Science is BS... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I saw that on the prime time episode. Jake Shields was controlling Phil Davis on the floor and that was a real eye opener (doubt they were doing it just for the cameras). Also you have to remember he did the same with Henderson. Saying that he has to get GSP on the floor in the first place which is easier said then done.

I predict a tepid first round whereby GSP jabs the head off Shields a few times and fights off a couple of take downs. More of the same in the 2nd whereby GSP will be taken down and get back up then a few more jabs and then a 3rd round TKO to GSP!

Saying that 9/1 in Paddy Powers for Sub of the night with Shields is tempting!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

This seems to be the biggest MMA drought in a while, can't wait for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Damn Shields down to 7/1 now to win by Sub, probably save me a few quid still fancy GSP to take him just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

The primetime shows are merely for entertainment, I wouldn't be confident betting on the outcomes of fights because we saw a 2 minute clip of somebody sparring or rolling.

I love Randy but it will take Machida to have a serious off day for him to win. Everybody knows he was beaten by Vera, and his last two fights can't really be counted as competitive fights. You can't count him out but I really am, he just won't be good enough to implement his Greko-Roman style as he will eat punches/kicks on the way in.

Shields is probably worth a bet at those odds.

I love Randy but it will take Machida to have a serious off day for him to win. Everybody knows he was beaten by Vera, and his last two fights can't really be counted as competitive fights. You can't count him out but I really am, he just won't be good enough to implement his Greko-Roman style as he will eat punches/kicks on the way in.

Yeah it's a fight where I don't know who to back. I want Machida to get back and have another go at Rampage. But I want Couture to retire respectfully. Hopefully he doesn't get KO'd Chuck style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Randy is only a month or 2 shy of 48. What a man, what an athlete. With Liddell and Randy retired, GSP is the biggest star left in the UFC. Its a changing of the guard this UFC, it'll go down as a turning point in MMA history.

randydancing.gif
    Will Randy be dancing tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

randydancing.gif
    Will Randy be dancing tomorrow?

He does a better job than Buffer tbh
    4379982232_7eaa221b8c_o.gif

Early weigh-ins tonight, 9pm our time live on the interwebs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

How do we watch the weigh in online?

Never mind, found it
    :)

Steven Segal cornering Lyoto machida :pac:

Never knew the guy was so tall, he looked like the tallest person on the stage by a foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

From: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-meltzer_ufc129_hominick_weight_controversy042911
    TORONTO – A procedural error led to controversy over the weigh-in of featherweight title contender Mark Hominick the day before UFC’s biggest live event in history.
    Hominick weighed in at 145.25 pounds according to the scale reading at the Ricoh Coliseum, which was the initial public announcement for the championship fight against Jose Aldo Jr., but it was then listed as being 145 pounds.
    While the difference sounds minuscule, 145 is the exact limit for a featherweight title fight. If a fighter goes over the mark, the match is supposed to become non-title.

Seems like it doesn't really matter now but don't they usually allow for a pound in case the scales are off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

From: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-meltzer_ufc129_hominick_weight_controversy042911

Seems like it doesn't really matter now but don't they usually allow for a pound in case the scales are off?

Not for title fights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not because the scales are off. 1lb off is a really ****ty scales, these thigns are accurate.

They just give 1lb grace for fighters, with the exception of title fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

It's time for an upset like this and Shields is perfectly placed to deliver. It should've happened with Siva and Sonnen but the gods saw fit to postpone it for a bit longer,now is the time.
    GSPs record is more padded than people think and I don't think he's gonna be able to stop Shields from applying his game,no one has been able to for ages.
    GSP doesn't have any h-bombs either and I don't see him getting away with too many leg kicks or jabs before Shields runs him down and sticks to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Bets for tonight.

Submission of the night - Jake Shields ( If he gets the sub, it must be considered SOTN, ) 20-1

Shields to win in any round (5) of them and the lowest is 16/1 . If you really fancied sheilds there's a great spread betting chance here. Highest is 25/1 for RD 4 and 5.

I fancy a lot of subs tonight, Hit Squads BJJ coach Kyle Watson is 3/1 and Mark Bocek ( 3/4th best BJJ in the UFC IMO ) is 3/1 but he's against Ben Henderson.

I'm going to try that accumulator of Shields, Bocek and Watson all by sub. It's 128/1 and I've seen a lot worse shots than that.

Going to cover myself however with a bet on GSP by KO or Submission also at 11/10. I can't see this one going the distance since GSP has said he doesn't want it to. " Blink and you'll miss it " were his words at the weigh in. With that in mind a small bet on the fight to finish in the first round.

Heading off to cage contender now, hoping to make it back here for the prelims tonight. Chat later guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Bets for tonight.

Submission of the night - Jake Shields ( If he gets the sub, it must be considered SOTN, ) 20-1

Unless we see a flying armbar or some other mad sub. If Shields does win by sub we should see Shields picking up the bonus.

Did anyone else see Phil Nurse talking out of his arse on the third episode of Primetime. He said GSP is better thatn Shields at everything. What bull, Shields has the best BJJ in the WW division.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Unless we see a flying armbar or some other mad sub. If Shields does win by sub we should see Shields picking up the bonus.

Did anyone else see Phil Nurse talking out of his arse on the third episode of Primetime. He said GSP is better thatn Shields at everything. What bull, Shields has the best BJJ in the WW division.

AJJ ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Are the Facebook prelims starting at 11pm and the main event on ESPN is at 1pm?

S.

Are the Facebook prelims starting at 11pm and the main event on ESPN is at 1pm?

S.

Facebook Prelims 11pm
    Spike Prelims - 1am
    Main Card - 2am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

cant resist throwing a few prices around here

im thinking aldo by ko/tko at 8/11 is a good thing (paddy)
    some bookies as short as 4/9 on this

anyone think otherwise on this?

ive invested heavily on this and think its only a matter of collecting
    i havent been badly burnt doing a big bet of the ufc this year yet
    and don't think i will this time either

machida by points or ko/tko 4/7 is another im sweet on and ive
    doubled that one with gsp by sub or points at 4/5

said id stick it up here in case anyone hasnt looked at the gambling
    in the forum and like me may think theres a few quid to be made

mailburner wrote: »
    machida by points or ko/tko

Is this with Paddy mailburner? 4/5 for that is a serious bet, could be onto something there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Is this with Paddy mailburner? 4/5 for that is a serious bet, could be onto something there.

It's 4/7 now. With Paddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Pablo Garza wins by submission - triangle.

• Advertisement

I think we have sub of the night already.

sorry snappy
    got them mixed up

shouldve been machida by ko or points 4/7

gsp by sub or points 4/5

apologies folks
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet/ufc-mma/ufc-matches?ev_oc_grp_ids=398698

No worries, thought I was going to pay for my holidays tonight at 4/5 :)

video quality pretty poor on fb compared to past events
    im finding it hard to look at it but what choice
    do we have?

Yeah it's terrible quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

KO of the f*cking year!!!!

And KO of the night!

Holy shít what a spinning backfist!

Lads this thread doesn't have spoilers in the title so people will come here not expecting to see spoilers...

Can someone put Spoilers in the title please?

Glad I didn't make any KO of the night bets now, it's going to take something special to beat that.

thats the ko of the night sorted no doubt
    glad i didnt bet on that market :)

ill be gutted if i have to watch diaz mac donald on fb however
    please be on espn

was watching that thinking the defeated guy had a great chin
    and then..boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Some spinning backfist, set up to be a great night.

Lads this thread doesn't have spoilers in the title so people will come here not expecting to see spoilers...

What do spoilers matter unless you're going to watch it tomorrow, in that case it would be silly coming online to read an event thread before you do.

Thanks for the Spoiler add mods. my FB is grand, bad quality at full screen for about 10 secs but then completely clears, excellent quality.

• Advertisement

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    What do spoilers matter unless you're going to watch it tomorrow, in that case it would be silly coming online to read an event thread before you do.

Yupp, i'm off to bed and not gonna touch this thread til I watch the whole thing tomorrow. Enjoy the night lads!

id love to see the athlete win this
    surely be cut again otherwise

mailburner wrote: »
    ill be gutted if i have to watch diaz mac donald on fb however
    please be on espn

Ellenberger v Pierson and Diaz v MacDonald are on ESPN.

Boom. McDonald wins by triangle in the first round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

another good sub, quality so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Some night of finishes so far.

:eek: What's this? Wasn't expecting it at all.

Random sports panel talk ftw. I thought they were just going to break until the Spike prelims start.

*edit- nvm it's just an ad for a post fight show.

Lovely elbow from Menjivar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

some great finishes so far, could be some card by the end

• Advertisement

I love Joe Rogan.:D "Let's watch this again cause you can actually see his nose breaking." *rolls replay" "Oh yeah!"

Advertisement