Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Spoilers UFC 129: St.Pierre v Shields Spoilers***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

He was totally ineffective. GSP only had one eye.

Did he know GSP couldn't see out of it ? I doubt it, Shields does not have the benefit of hearing what GSP says like we do at home. Looked like a simple mouse to be fair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He was totally ineffective. GSP only had one eye.

Ineffective? Why did GSP only have one eye..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Were you not watching this fight? Jake Shields went toe to toe with the 'best lb4lb fighter' in mma history and lost 48-47. Does that not make him at least, the 2nd best ww in the world, no one has gone closer to beating gsp

GSP was in second gear the whole fight. He could take him down when he wanted, he could punch or kick him when he wanted. Shields offered zero threat to GSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Did he know GSP couldn't see out of it ? I doubt it, Shields does not have the benefit of hearing what GSP says like we do at home. Looked like a simple mouse to be fair.

That's my point, even with GSP fighting with one eye Shields was ineffective. Look back over his last few fights and you'll see he is totally overrated.

Axwell wrote: »
    Ineffective? Why did GSP only have one eye..:rolleyes:

Alright, are you seriously trying to say Shields looked good? Or did he look ordinary?

Going to bed for a few hours but.

Shields didn't know GSP couldn't see out that eye.
    His stand up was quite good considering what we've seen from him before.
    Gsp's takedown defense off one foot is quite good.

Negatives.
    Shields showed no urgency to totally kamakazie GSP which is what i expected him to do. Latch onto him and get him to the ground one way or another. Would much rather have been that fight be lost 48-47 on the ground so GSP could solidify himself as one of the best. Instead it was a stand up match which Shields was never going to out score him in.

SAYING that, as i just saw on twitter. The real story was a fight like that showed Jake Shields was one round away from winning that fight on the score cards. Hard for Shields to swallow considering he got that far not even performing where he easily is at a championship level.

Have you ever seen his other fights? He just lies on top of people. I understand there is skill involved in that but it is hardly world class fighting.

GSP has done the same on plenty of occassions. If he can control the opponent and keep them on the ground why not, it takes plenty of skill to keep them there. They are both great fighters unfortunately Shields had too much respect for GSP and didnt go in to the cage giving it his all and was very cautious, in the same sense GSP was more concerned by his eye from the second round onwards and not getting knocked out my a punch on the blind side.

Unrelated but kind of funny. I had assumed Shields was gay so I googled it and this came up:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130622273

(I don't care that he is gay, just wanted to see if my assumption was right... )

Axwell wrote: »
    GSP has done the same on plenty of occassions. If he can control the opponent and keep them on the ground why not, it takes plenty of skill to keep them there. They are both great fighters unfortunately Shields had too much respect for GSP and didnt go in to the cage giving it his all and was very cautious, in the same sense GSP was more concerned by his eye from the second round onwards and not getting knocked out my a punch on the blind side.

I agree GSP is big into the lay and pray, but if you watch their individual fights and compare the two fighters, they are in a different class.

Shields is a one trick pony, whereas GSP can change his game to suit his opponent.

As we saw tonight, Shields didn't know what to do.

I agree GSP is the better fighter and has more tools in his belt but at the same time he was wary of Shields and never went in for the kill. That had nothing to do with his eye it was again about respect for the other fighter, hes said plenty of times it would be his toughest fight. If Shields had came in all guns blazing it would have been a far better fight, instead he came in expecting a stand up fight and was cautious just trading blow for blow. With both of them being so cautious the fight was never going to end any other way to be honest.

Maybe Shields needs to get some of that training training from Steven Seagal :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I don't understand why anyone on here is bothered to say one is better than the other and make excuses for the fact that neither of them showed any agression at all in the fight.

They're well matched. They've faced a similar level of opponents in the last couple of years, Shields has faced a slightly higher level in his last few fights. They both have gotten where they are by knowing the rulebook inside out and focusing on pointscoring and not taking damage.

At the end of the fight when the cameras were on them, they were both obsessively looking into the monitors to see if their pretty faces took any damage. Wouldn't want to harm the brand in any way, sponsership money is their bread and butter.

It's a very poor division, probably the worst in the UFC. There's no equivelent to Jon Jones/Aldo/Silva in this division. GSP certainly isn't on that level and neither is Shields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Yet again Georgie boy fails to finish a fight and his tactics have been not to lose rather than to Win/Finish.

Over the last Few years GSP has bored the crap outta me, far too technical.

Wish he'd open up more and take some chances

He says he wants to go down in history as a legend, well to me legends are the likes of Chuck, Randy & Wandy who go out and excite in fights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

scudzilla wrote: »
    He says he wants to go down in history as a legend, well to me legends are the likes of Chuck, Randy & Wandy who go out and excite in fights

Agreed. He will be remembered as the boring legend. People will be saying remember that great champion who always went the distance and couldn't finish guys like Dan Hardy.

Then people will be saying remember when Anderson Silva, that was a champion at same time as GSP in the UFC, who triangled Chael Sonnen in the fifth after getting his ass kicked for the previous four rounds or when he stopped Forrest Griffin with a jab or when he KO'ed Victor Belfort with a front kick.

Its pretty clear who will be remembered more in later years.

You guys are being a bit unfair on GSP i think. Poor technique cost him from stopping Hardy. Koscheck had lost all depth perception and was swinging for the fences, easily could have caught GSP. He couldn't see out of his left eye from the second round last night. I think that a better striker could have caused GSP a lot more problems last night considering the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Shields striking was so poor and weak its not funny, the lack of speed and venom in his punches is terrible and the way Rogan kept makinghim sound like a decent striker!! bigging up his equally weak switch kick!!

Shields will win fights but damnis he boring and terrible on his feet.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    You guys are being a bit unfair on GSP i think. Poor technique cost him from stopping Hardy. Koscheck had lost all depth perception and was swinging for the fences, easily could have caught GSP. He couldn't see out of his left eye from the second round last night. I think that a better striker could have caused GSP a lot more problems last night considering the circumstances.

GSP was very lucky he couldn't see out of his left eye against Shields because if it was a fight earlier Koscheck would have Knocked him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there anywhere i just watch the last bout in full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Headshot wrote: »
    Is there anywhere i just watch the last bout in full?

i recorded the last bout on sky and the prog stopped after 3 rounds
    had to resort to this stream though it not a great one

http://mma-core.pl/?p=672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mailburner wrote: »
    i recorded the last bout on sky and the prog stopped after 3 rounds
    had to resort to this stream though it not a great one

http://mma-core.pl/?p=672

thanks man, to bad the quality is a bit ****e:(

Hopefully someone else has better quality

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    thanks man, to bad the quality is a bit ****e:(

Hopefully someone else has better quality

I'd imagine mma-core.com has it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Great night of fights over all , best for a while I thought.

GSP bored me to tears again, no taking away from the guy I really admire him as an athlete and do consider him one of the best ever but if this was anderson silva he would have been booed out of the octagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I'm a huge GSP fan but I was underwhelmed by him last night. At the same time you can only beat whats put in front of you. Jake Shields is a great fighter and he may only ever get one WW title shot, he certainly didn't seize it. He looked very tenative, threw a few body kicks and a few straight rights. This is the same fighter who took Hendo down at will over a year ago. I know he stepped his game up in the 5th but I thought he let this opportunity pass him by. It wasn't one of Georges best performances and I feel there was a chance for Jake to win last night. Something I don't see Diaz doing, however I see Georges taking that one by decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Fromvert wrote: »
    GSP was in second gear the whole fight. He could take him down when he wanted, he could punch or kick him when he wanted. Shields offered zero threat to GSP.

He could take him down at will if he wanted, but he didnt want to.. He didn't want to risk it, so that point is invalid.. After the 3rd round the fight was virtually level, if Shields had taken him down or pulled guard he would've been a massive threat. Your statement was ridiculous, the man is the only person to steal a round from GSP since Koscheck, give credit where credit is due...

I'd like to propose that Joe 'I want to suck on GSP's left one' Rogan should be axed.. Bring back Randy now he's retired and has the time..

Rogan is very biased but people like him in general, but personally his babble really influences the tv viewers take on the fights-when he keeps commenting on how great lads are doing its easy to just believe it.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Rogan is very biased but people like him in general, but personally his babble really influences the tv viewers take on the fights-when he keeps commenting on how great lads are doing its easy to just believe it.

Yeah, it's incredible how many people's opinion of fights/fighters is based on what he and other commentators have said. You see the same thing in all sports, e.g. "Ronaldo is the best in the world cause the fella on Sky Sports said so".

That's humanity, nothing we can do about it. :pac:

• Advertisement

ScareGilly wrote: »
    He could take him down at will if he wanted, but he didnt want to.. He didn't want to risk it, so that point is invalid.. After the 3rd round the fight was virtually level, if Shields had taken him down or pulled guard he would've been a massive threat. Your statement was ridiculous, the man is the only person to steal a round from GSP since Koscheck, give credit where credit is due...

I'd like to propose that Joe 'I want to suck on GSP's left one' Rogan should be axed.. Bring back Randy now he's retired and has the time..

How is it invalid? Whenever GSP wanted him down he took him down. That is fact.

Wow he won a round or two, but the outcome of the fight was never in doubt. He offered zero threat of taking the belt off GSP. If there was any doubt in GSP's mind that he could lose that fight, he would of stepped it up but it seems GSP just likes to do enough to win the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

To be honest I was very surprised by the 48-47 scorelines, the fight was nowhere near that close. Shields was never going to cause him any trouble based on what was happening in the fight or based on his previous performances, which are incredibly over rated by some people on here.

GSP couldn't see out of his left eye for three rounds of the fight, it would have been madness on his part to go all out for the stoppage considering he was comfortably winning it. People can moan about that all they like and call him boring but the reality is he did the right thing. It was clearly bothering him and may still be....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/5/1/2146965/ufc-129-results-hours-after-georges-st-pierre-gsp-still-cant-see-with-his-left-eye

As for the rest of the card, absolutely fantastic from top to bottom with some awesome finishes. Great card.

He is the colour commentator, there to give his opinions on what is happening in a fight, as opposed to the play by play man who just describes the action (Goldberg). No one is ever going to agree with everything he says, but that's just differing opinions. To call him biased because you don't agree with him on certain things is well wide of the mark in my opinion.

I agree, I think Rogan is excellent in some aspects of his job. The way he describes ground transitions and submissions etc. especially when I first began watching MMA. However sometimes he just refuses to call some clear shots landed. If there is ever debate about a judges decision I will go back and re-watch the fight with the volume off. It can completely change your opinion of a fight.

Xlami wrote: »
    I agree, I think Rogan is excellent in some aspects of his job. The way he describes ground transitions and submissions etc. especially when I first began watching MMA. However sometimes he just refuses to call some clear shots landed. If there is ever debate about a judges decision I will go back and re-watch the fight with the volume off. It can completely change your opinion of a fight.

Maybe he didn't see it? He's not always watching on his screen (what we see), but looking straight into the cage. His view could be momentarily obscured by any number of things. Plus when two fighters land on each other almost at the same time, it easy to miss some things, I know I do.

• Advertisement

seadnamac wrote: »
    Maybe he didn't see it? He's not always watching on his screen (what we see), but looking straight into the cage. His view could be momentarily obscured by any number of things. Plus when two fighters land on each other almost at the same time, it easy to miss some things, I know I do.

Yeah the ref keeps stepping in the way of his vision when his unfavoured fighter does something!!

If you don't think Rogan is biased then fair enough, :)

I'm not specifically talking about last night or an isolated incident it happens every fight card, Sanchez Vs Kampann fight was a prime example. And Barry Vs Beltran it happened quite a bit too. I understand they can't see everything but I do feel he's quite biased at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kinda feel bad for Makdessi. I'd say he was sure he had KO of the night in the bag with a nice little bonus of 130 grand!! Speaking of, any vids with Seagull saying he invented the Crane Kick and showed it to Machida after getting an email saying 'please teach me your deadly stuff!'

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Kinda feel bad for Makdessi. I'd say he was sure he had KO of the night in the bag with a nice little bonus of 130 grand!! Speaking of, any vids with Seagull saying he invented the Crane Kick and showed it to Machida after getting an email saying 'please teach me your deadly stuff!'

Try mmafighting.com because Ariel Hewani did an interview with him, so that might be the closest thing to what you are looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

Here's Mister Seagal himself. This interview gets a little weird when his phone rings.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/05/01/steven-seagal-amazingly-proud-of-lyoto-machida-for-landing-his/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

What judge gave it 50-43 for Aldo, insane. I would have given Aldo the first 4 10-9 and the last 10-8 to Hominick. 48-46. Some judges are clueless in the sport.

I was glad to see Rory MacDonald win, he was very unlucky against Condit.

Great event, all of the fights good IMO.

Fake interview! Imposter posing as Seagull said he was SHOUTING at Machida. The real Seagull would never allow himself to enter into a state where shouting is needed. He is in too much control of his emotions.

steven-seagal-emotion-chart.jpg

What judge gave it 50-43 for Aldo, insane. I would have given Aldo the first 4 10-9 and the last 10-8 to Hominick. 48-46. Some judges are clueless in the sport.

I was glad to see Rory MacDonald win, he was very unlucky against Condit.

Great event, all of the fights good IMO.

Turns out that was a mistake and the judge actually had it 48-45, though nobody's sure whether the judge added it up wrong or Buffer just had a brain fart.

Turns out that was a mistake and the judge actually had it 48-45, though nobody's sure whether the judge added it up wrong or Buffer just had a brain fart.

Maybe you're right, but he was also way off the other two for the last fight giving all 5 rounds to GSP.

So wouldn't be surprised if he had it a 50-45, I can see how you could make a mistake with a 40omething-40something, but a 50 is always a 50.

Maybe you're right, but he was also way off the other two for the last fight giving all 5 rounds to GSP.

So wouldn't be surprised if he had it a 50-45, I can see how you could make a mistake with a 40omething-40something, but a 50 is always a 50.

It's mentioned in any report of the event I've read so I'm fairly sure it was a mistake. The last round seems to have been given 10-8 to Aldo instead of 10-8 to Hominick.

10-8 Aldo
    10-9 Aldo
    10-9 Aldo
    10-9 Aldo
    10-8 Hominick

48-45 Aldo.

• Advertisement

Xtreme Couture fears the front kick, Belfort and Couture getting KTFO'd by it thanks to that greasy Mr.Miyagi Steven Segal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just finished watching this. Watched the pre-lims first.

Rory McDonald is an absolute beast. Hard to believe the chap is only 21 years of age. Completely bullied Diaz. Suplex after suplex. Incredible stuff.

Machida's KO was alright I suppose.... Nah, it was fúcking incredible. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Anyone else think Hominick looked a bit like this when that large bump appeared on his head?

gigantism.jpg

Main event was pretty meh. I wasn't wowed at all. GSP is a great fighter but he bores the hell out of me sometimes. As far as technical ability goes, he's got it in spades but I wish he'd try and finish fights a bit more.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Welcome back, Lyoto!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

p to the e wrote: »
    Here's Mister Seagal himself. This interview gets a little weird when his phone rings.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/05/01/steven-seagal-amazingly-proud-of-lyoto-machida-for-landing-his/

Is Seagal actually legit?

In that he's genuinely training with Lyoto and Anderson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

jayteecork wrote: »

I honestly think it's an in-joke between Lyoto and Anderson.

I don't think Seagal is in on the joke though......

Lads, any update on how goosed GSP's eye is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70VCO062cUw

In this interview Bas Rutten talks about what he thinks about Segal's involvement with Black House. Very funny interview.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Lads, any update on how goosed GSP's eye is?

He seems to think he'll be fine...

http://twitter.com/#!/GeorgesStPierre

Xlami wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70VCO062cUw

In this interview Bas Rutten talks about what he thinks about Segal's involvement with Black House. Very funny interview.

Class! Love the quote in the comments as well

To quote Chael Sonnen "Steven Seagal's impressive record of victories against untrained stuntmen who are paid to lose makes his criticism particularly stinging"

• Advertisement

I'd say it's more to do with the Black House lads trying to land some roles in some of Seagal's films.

Advertisement