Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Boxer

Options
  • 09-02-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm an eighteen year old from Lucan and I was looking for any tips on how to get started in boxing.
    I'm a complete novice, so no massive ambitions. I was looking for a good beginners club to join. I'm a big guy at six foot, I'm a bit overweight at around 210lbs. Thats Heavy weight right? I'm pretty bulky already from playing Rugby so I can deal with getting slapped around.
    I want to know what kind of shape I'd have to get into, I don't want to waste a trainers time by having to get into shape first so is there any sort of fitness regime I should look into? As I said I'm a bit overweight but not massively so nothing too dramatic. I think you get what I'm trying to say. I want to get fit and turn a Rugby players body into a boxer. So any tips, or advice and particularly a good club would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

*I meant to say. When I say novice, I mean I've never taken part in boxing. But I know a decent amount about the sport as a whole. Styles, fighters, history etc.
    And I've watched the Rocky movies like any self-respecting human being. Despite their total lack of realism.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

The guys here will offer better and more accurate advice than I can give , but I would say it is important to get very fit first before you walk into a gym for the first time .

A whole lot of calisthenic excercises , and forget about weights .
    You would be competing a few weights lower than heavyweight in competitions , if you can shed the lbs .

Learning the art can only come with practical experience , timing with practice , and development with your ability to absorb information and dedication .

You'll get back what you put in , and no more .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Thanks. That's basically what I was thinking. I knew it'd be stupid going anywhere near a club yet. Weights weren't really on my mind either, it's just the cardio I'm trying to get down. I heard that punch bags are great for cardio? On top of being boxing related, I'll get one and then just work on flexibility and whatnot.
    God I sound like such a twat saying this. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

I think people can delvelop bad habits when they learn themselves on home bags etc .
    It can end up being your default style , where your punching technique may be a little incorrect ,..... and sometimes you may not notice untill somebody else points it out .

There's a lot of information /videos on the net these days that you can learn from .... and books too !
    If you re getting a heavy bag , just remember to protect your hands !

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

troyzer wrote: »
    Thanks. That's basically what I was thinking. I knew it'd be stupid going anywhere near a club yet. Weights weren't really on my mind either, it's just the cardio I'm trying to get down. I heard that punch bags are great for cardio? On top of being boxing related, I'll get one and then just work on flexibility and whatnot.
    God I sound like such a twat saying this. Oh well!

it's not stupid goin near a club, best way. try a few see which ones suit ya best. they won't push you over the limit they wouldn't get boxers to stay that way. ádh mór

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Join a club now and get your weight down there, your not wasting time, you'll be like any other novice. The trainer will only care about you being consistent. It's going to take a while to get the basics right so the sooner you start the better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

im in the same boat as you im 220lbs 6foot 1 i am overweight and i started kicboxing and it is to get fit but im also learning at the same time so in a few months time i will be in a good position skill/fitness wise to train for begginer fights f i so please! so just bite the bullet and join a boxing gym im glad i did! i cant keep up with the best fighters there fitness wise but im not expected to just go for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

If your committed then it's a great way to discipline yourself. It will motivate you into getting fit. I would at the very least work hard on your abs and core and neck muscles before sparring. I far from an expert on boxing or training and this is just my experience. I started off straight in the ring and kept brawling and was not a being a very good boxer. We were just hurting each other.

Your much safer having a strong core and muscle pack to absorb head punches. You want to keep your head solid. If your neck core is weak then your head is going to bounce and that can make you see stars and can put you off. Avoiding injury is very important to derive pleasure from the sport.

Coup and contrecoup dazes are not pleasant and are what you want to avoid. You will instinctively keep your head down and you want to keep your head high so you must get yourself prepared for this physically.

Boxing at the end of the day is fitness and of course skill. So being fit is an ingredient.

Advertisement