Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a .223 licence (first time advice)

Options
  • 09-02-2011 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am interested in buying a used .223 bolt action rifle as my first gun. I wish to use it for fox hunting and target shooting. Could somebody please give me advice on the necessary criteria for applying for the licence so that the Garda processing the application would see me as a suitable candidate. I have done a stint in the FCA (now the RDF) about 10 years ago so I have been drilled in firearm safety and have taken part in my units (military police) shooting team for the steyr AUG. I also have 2 uncles who are farmers who will give me permission to use their land (if this is relevant). I am not a member of a rifle club but i would be glad to join one if my application is successful and they are accepting members. There is also no problem with a secure location to place a safe in my parents address.

Also is a .223 restricted ? (i noticed this mentioned in another post)

Any advice or issues i should be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

CD

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the shooting forum.
    Could somebody please give me advice on the necessary criteria for applying for the licence so that the Garda processing the application would see me as a suitable candidate.

In relation to adequacy for holding a firearm. You need to have a clean record, as in no criminal convictions, be of good character, known in the community, responsible, and most importantly have a good and valid reason for wanting the firearm in the first place. Not all of these are necessary or essential, but if you can tick most or all the boxes you are off to a good start.

In relation to the applying side of things you need;
    • A firearm, and a deposit put on it.
    • An FCA1 firearm license application form.
    • Two referees that can vouch to your character. Not family.
    • Photographs X2.
    • Firearm details on a letter from the dealer.
    • Land permision or range/club membership details.
    • Some other personal details.
    • Fill in the form and submit it to your local Firearms Officer (FO).
    • Wait and if you are successful you will recieve word within 3 months.
    • Get your grant letter to say you have been successful.
    • Bring it to your local post office and pay the €80 for a 3 year license.
    • License comes in post a few days later.
    • Bring licnese to dealers and collect your new firearm.
    • Enjoy.
    I have done a stint in the FCA (now the RDF) about 10 years ago so I have been drilled in firearm safety and have taken part in my units (military police) shooting team for the steyr AUG

For anyone applying for their first firearm proof of competence must be provided. In some circumstances your training in the FCA(RDF) may be suitable, however should it not be enough there are a number of ranges/organisations running safety courses every month. Attend one of these, pass and submit your certificate with your application.
    I also have 2 uncles who are farmers who will give me permission to use their land (if this is relevant). I am not a member of a rifle club but i would be glad to join one if my application is successful and they are accepting members.

Either of these will suffice. if you wish to start hunting and save the expense of mebership then use the land permissions to apply for the rifle. If target work will be the primary use of the rifle then join an authorised range and submit your membership details and a copy of your range Id with your application. If you are using the land permissions make sure the letter covers area or as much detail as possible.
    There is also no problem with a secure location to place a safe in my parents address.

This will suffice. All you need is a letter of permission from your parents to store the firearm in ther home. A safe, trigger lock will be necessary, but these are minimum standards of security and the Super of each district is free to impose any further restrcitions he feels are warranted.
    Also is a .223 restricted ? (i noticed this mentioned in another post)

A bolt action .223 rifle is not restrcited. If it were semi automatic then yes it would be. There are a number of things that can clasify a rifle as restricted, but as long as it is a bolt action .223 then you are okay.
    Any advice or issues i should be aware of would be greatly appreciated

Choose the type of firearm make/model, etc carfully. Get as much info as possible before buying. Do not try and rush the process. Sometimes the "i want it now" can take over and we start to panic or cut corners to get the license and gun as quick as possible. It will take as long as it takes so be patient and take things as they come.

If you need any more help, muself and the lads and ladies here would be delighted to help.

Good luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭collidgedosser

Ezridax wrote: »
    Welcome to the shooting forum.

In relation to adequacy for holding a firearm. You need to have a clean record, as in no criminal convictions, be of good character, known in the community, responsible, and most importantly have a good and valid reason for wanting the firearm in the first place. Not all of these are necessary or essential, but if you can tick most or all the boxes you are off to a good start.

In relation to the applying side of things you need;
    • A firearm, and a deposit put on it.
    • An FCA1 firearm license application form.
    • Two referees that can vouch to your character. Not family.
    • Photographs X2.
    • Firearm details on a letter from the dealer.
    • Land permision or range/club membership details.
    • Some other personal details.
    • Fill in the form and submit it to your local Firearms Officer (FO).
    • Wait and if you are successful you will recieve word within 3 months.
    • Get your grant letter to say you have been successful.
    • Bring it to your local post office and pay the €80 for a 3 year license.
    • License comes in post a few days later.
    • Bring licnese to dealers and collect your new firearm.
    • Enjoy.

For anyone applying for their first firearm proof of competence must be provided. In some circumstances your training in the FCA(RDF) may be suitable, however should it not be enough there are a number of ranges/organisations running safety courses every month. Attend one of these, pass and submit your certificate with your application.

Either of these will suffice. if you wish to start hunting and save the expense of mebership then use the land permissions to apply for the rifle. If target work will be the primary use of the rifle then join an authorised range and submit your membership details and a copy of your range Id with your application. If you are using the land permissions make sure the letter covers area or as much detail as possible.

This will suffice. All you need is a letter of permission from your parents to store the firearm in ther home. A safe, trigger lock will be necessary, but these are minimum standards of security and the Super of each district is free to impose any further restrcitions he feels are warranted.

A bolt action .223 rifle is not restrcited. If it were semi automatic then yes it would be. There are a number of things that can clasify a rifle as restricted, but as long as it is a bolt action .223 then you are okay.

Choose the type of firearm make/model, etc carfully. Get as much info as possible before buying. Do not try and rush the process. Sometimes the "i want it now" can take over and we start to panic or cut corners to get the license and gun as quick as possible. It will take as long as it takes so be patient and take things as they come.

If you need any more help, muself and the lads and ladies here would be delighted to help.

Good luck.

Thanks, much appreciated

Advertisement