Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professionally printing ONE copy of long book

Options
  • 09-02-2011 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi guys. Not sure where else to put this, so I've come back to this forum.

I'm doing a Primary Teaching postgrad, and a lot of the books are only available in PDF form. I'm looking for somewhere that will print ONE copy of them for me (possibly in colour) and not break the piggybank.

My own printer would die before it got anywhere near the end of the shortest one, and I'd like it to be collated and bound (staples and neat edges are all I need though) which is why I'm looking for a printers.

Those photo book things are no good for this, and the only other option I can think of is thesis printers (I've emailed thesiscomplete.ie to see if they deal with this).

I'm in Galway, and I'm distance learning, so I don't have a bunch of people to rally around and bulk buy. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe someone like this http://www.galwayprint.ie/publishing.asp ?

I'm going to move this to Galway City as it's more a question of where to get the service than anything to do with the creative writing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Kenny Book Binders out in Liosban will print and bind it for you, but it would be cheaper to print it in iSupply or other print shop.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Could you buy it online cheaper maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

+1 for iSupply; at least they'd give you a finished price before printing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Kenny Book Binders out in Liosban will print and bind it for you, but it would be cheaper to print it in iSupply or other print shop.

'cptr

I've used Kennys before there always willing to drop the price, no harm giving them a ring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I could sort this for you, cheaper than printers too, PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Just out of curiosity, if you have the document in electronic format, why the need to have a physical copy? Is it an aesthetic thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Laser printers are cheap enough nowadays and a toner cartridge prints around 2000 pages for roughly €50. check out pcworld/Currys

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, if you have the document in electronic format, why the need to have a physical copy? Is it an aesthetic thing?

Older people, and I include myself in that group, often find that paper makes it a lot easier to absorb a large document. At work, I can read small and/or simple stuff on line, but if something's long or complex I'd far rather a printout. And that's after 20 years working in IT and learning to read a lot of stuff on-line.

OP, some of the DIY solutions would be useful in that they get you around the sticky question of copyright. Unless the books are clearly labelled as freely available, then copy-shops SHOULD be refusing to print more than a reasonable extract for you. Not sure if they WILL check this or not, but they SHOULD.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Eman Resu wrote: »

No, I'll need it for future reference and with my course being online too, my eyes need a break. I don't have a kindle or a tablet, so I need the physical copy.

As for the copyright, the document is freely available on the internet (it's an NCCA book), they just don't have printed copies anymore. :p

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

you have probably already tried but have you tried ringing charlie byrnes book shop. They have a large selection of second hand reference books. you would never know you might get lucky

Advertisement