Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying House with adj. Apartment (Planning says Garage)

Options
  • 09-02-2011 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a property advertised as a house with an adjacent appartment (contracts not signed yet).

When I was looking online through the original planning documents I noticed that the original application was for a double garage (not apartment). Additionally one of the conditions of the grant of planning was that the garage could not be used for commercial purposes or converted for human habitation.

However that is exactly what subsequently happened as it is now a fully fledged appartment. And one other point is that the apartment is slightly to the rear and side of the house on the planning layout but was built to the side and exactly level with the house.

I was wondering if anyone had any "advice" on what options/steps might follow (retention planning / delay timeframe / property value implications / renegotiation of property sale price? etc). I would like to get an idea of the best way to proceed. I also have a surveyor employed who I am sure will find the same issues but have not received his report or recommendations yet.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

my strong advice is to seek advice on a matter of such importance elsewhere - ie your solicitor

or will you be making dec on the advice of online posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check to see if there are other planning permissions.

Potentially, you re-value the property as a house with garage, accounting for the cost of reconversion to a garage.

Alternatively, you demand the vendor apply for retention permission to take a risk and apply yourself after giving the price a hair cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pegasus425

ArtSmart - Indeed, will of course rely heavily on what the Solicitor and Surveyor have to say. I have the personality type that likes to get as much information as I possibly can and just thought I would be better prepared if I could gather as much information as possible in advance.

Victor - I had checked and there is indeed a subsequent planning application for an extension (a sunroom) which was granted. Interestingly on the application for the extension of a sunroom, the garage suddenly appears in the right place (level with the property) on the site layout plan even though there is no mention of any change to the garage location. It merely appears on the site layout plan as an "existing garage".

Many Thanks.

Advertisement