Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What constituency am I in ???

Options
  • 09-02-2011 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi
    I live in Highlands, Rathmullen Road, Drogheda which has been in Meath East since the constituency was created. We are right on the border of Meath/Louth on the Meath side.

I was told today that we have now been moved into the Louth constituency for the upcoming general election. However on www.checktheregister.ie website my address comes up if I choose Meath County Council as it always did, and not Louth County Council.

Does anyone know what is happening. I'd hate to be researching the wrong candidates. I know there were some boundary adjustments a while ago.

Thanks in advance.
    Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are in whatever council are you are in. However, the constituency is Louth - which includes all of Drogheda, Mornington, Laytown, Bettystown and some surrounding areas.

General map here: http://www.constituency-commission.ie/Images%5Cmap_a.jpg

Exact details here: http://www.constituency-commission.ie/docs%5Ccon2007.pdf page 32-34.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Victor wrote: »
    You are in whatever council are you are in. However, the constituency is Louth - which includes all of Drogheda, Mornington, Laytown, Bettystown and some surrounding areas.

General map here: http://www.constituency-commission.ie/Images%5Cmap_a.jpg

Exact details here: http://www.constituency-commission.ie/docs%5Ccon2007.pdf page 32-34.

Just to confirm that Victor is correct, for the General Election we are in Louth, for Local Elections (County Council) we are still in the Slane Ward. It was an error to have received the flyer from Dominic Hannigan

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Thanks for replies.

Yeah looks like we have definitely been moved into Louth constituency.

I'll now have to restart my candidate research.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just to confirm that Victor is correct, for the General Election we are in Louth, for Local Elections (County Council) we are still in the Slane Ward. It was an error to have received the flyer from Dominic Hannigan

Hehe, I was wondering why I got those leaflets as well. It also doesn't help that Ged Nash has a sign by the Drogheda train station saying "Ged Nash: Louth/East Meath" :S

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Very interesting post, I and a number of other residents were talking about this last week and thought it was very confusing that we have now gone into Louth in the general election but when we search the register it comes up were not on the register for louth. How ever after contacting a number of people in louth I have been told we are in Louth and our polling card will be for Louth.

Very confusing I think they could have put our names down on the register for louth or have something on the site saying the areas that are in louth and Meath to make it clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Slight Hijack,

Lads, just to let ye know, the Highlands Residents Assoc are now on Facebook, if you want ot add them as a group. Also they can be followed on twitter @HighlandsRA

Owen

Very interesting post, I and a number of other residents were talking about this last week and thought it was very confusing that we have now gone into Louth in the general election
    You have gone into the Louth constituency. You have neither gone into Louth county not Louth village.
    when we search the register it comes up were not on the register for louth.
    Because the registers are for county Meath and county Louth. How hard is that to accept?
    How ever after contacting a number of people in louth I have been told we are in Louth and our polling card will be for Louth.
    Correct.

If you lived in Cork, would you go looking to vote in "Cork" constituency or would you look to vote in Cork East, Cork South Central, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hey Victor, you're an angry little moderator, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

maximus02 wrote: »
    I think a few sherrys went down the wrong way here :)
    *Jeebus*

maximus02 wrote: »
    Merely frustrated that people can't understand simple things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Well Victor, I live in Meath and checked the Meath register and everything is fine but when your supposed to be voting for Louth candidate in MEATH you ask yourself wtf so in your simple little world where everything is easy why the hell are Meath people voting for Louth candidates????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A little OTT there Victor, eh?! In an area where county boundaries always marked a constituency since at least the days of Jim Tully and probably before, I can see why people might wonder if the change of a constituency boundary also meant the register details were "moved", as it were, to the county which gives the enlarged constituency its name.

Furthermore and more importantly, highlandseoghan didn't strike me as being either removed from reality or slow on the uptake. He simply was commenting on confusion that existed a week ago and appears to now understand his electoral particulars. I think your "rebuttals" were unwarranted.

Perhaps mollycoddled then? In the entire country, there are only two situations where the county and constituency boundaries match exactly - Mayo and Wexford (but note Cavan-Monaghan).

Its not as if Meath wasn't previously split into two constituencies and associated with Westmeath in one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The example of Meath including a part of Co. Westmeath is quite irrelevant here as it's over 30km away from the area in question. Along the Louth/Meath border, there have been no changes like this in recent decades save where Drogheda's boundary was extended to the south. This resulted in Louth taking in a small part of Meath.

All of that still doesn't change how a little courtesy would go a long way in replying to a poster.

Advertisement