Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austrailianizing your CV

Options
  • 09-02-2011 4:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm set to leave for oz on Friday morning, and i've just been trying to get a few things sorted out before I go.

Such as my CV, i have a fairly good CV, but do i need to add anything to it, that would not been included in a CV in ireland, such as including my nationality. Also in terms of my leaving cert results, i only have my points included, would it be better to include all the results for more clarity?

Cheers in advance for you advice:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

elspecia wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm set to leave for oz on Friday morning, and i've just been trying to get a few things sorted out before I go.

Such as my CV, i have a fairly good CV, but do i need to add anything to it, that would not been included in a CV in ireland, such as including my nationality. Also in terms of my leaving cert results, i only have my points included, would it be better to include all the results for more clarity?

yes nationality and your visa in big bold letters (any recruitment agency will ask you this as the 1st question)

No need for LC at all as far as i am concerned or else a very brief (1 liner) - if you go through agency they'll take this out anyway

Work experience is simply the most important thing - I wouldn't even bother with hobbies or interests.

references should only be from employers - none of this parish priest / local guard nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rename it to Resume
    Delete the LC results
    Include visa status
    no parish priest, teacher, local butcher for references (unless of course you worked as a butcher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

What about a references from one of my former lecturers and head of department?

Its better han no reference, but its not really worth a lot, basically they'll say you were good, even if you weren't

If its all you have, then go with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Hey all,

Hey elspecia, dont forget the all important cover letter; something along these lines should do!

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer, I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group ofterrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago, I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ah Haaa Haaa Haaa
    Tee hee hee
    *Chuckle*
    *Chortle*
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mac20v

Hey elspecia, dont forget the all important cover letter; something along these lines should do!

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer, I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group ofterrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago, I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

you should have said you were chuck norris

Ah Haaa Haaa Haaa
    Tee hee hee
    *Chuckle*
    *Chortle*
    :confused:
    mac20v wrote: »
    you should have said you were chuck norris

Guys, you both obvious missed the joke.

Yes I sure have, but if its more internet nerd sh1t like those f**king 'meme?!?' things that people are posting in the laugh you lose thread then I dont want to get it.

• Advertisement

Haven't really a clue what internet meme **** you are on about
    but the above is nothing to do wit it

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

What about a references from one of my former lecturers and head of department?

hah Irish employers don't even want to see that, never mind Aussie employers

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

One very very important thing

The references you put in make sure that they can be contacted at the phone numbers you include as the Aussie's unlike Irish employers will ring to check with them.

So before you go for a job you might contact your references and advise them that someone will be ringing.

Ozeire wrote: »
    One very very important thing

The references you put in make sure that they can be contacted at the phone numbers you include as the Aussie's unlike Irish employers will ring to check with them.

So before you go for a job you might contact your references and advise them that someone will be ringing.

Good point, my old employer emailed my Irish references so also put you references email address on there in case your potential employer is a stingebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Also its very important to spell "Australia" correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Froggyplait

I think that is probably the funniest thing I have ever read!

Advertisement