Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant.

• 09-02-2011 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭

Abroad at the moment, and I decided I'd watch this on the RTE Player International. What a hilariously awful, and therefore unmissable show. I don't think I've cringed as much in quite some time.

It had everything, the extremely camp and annoyingly over the top gay man, the dreadful members of the public saying things like "It's definitely a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc" and "The salmon wasn't smoked in-house" in some throwback to the bullshít of the Celtic Tiger. The dramatic music when the likeable Paulo discovers that his Parma ham is rancid. And to top it all off, it has the insufferable Tom Doorley as a judge.

I'm now hooked. Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sergeant wrote: »
    Abroad at the moment, and I decided I'd watch this on the RTE Player International. What a hilariously awful, and therefore unmissable show. I don't think I've cringed as much in quite some time.

It had everything, the extremely camp and annoyingly over the top gay man, the dreadful members of the public saying things like "It's definitely a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc" and "The salmon wasn't smoked in-house" in some throwback to the bullshít of the Celtic Tiger. The dramatic music when the likeable Paulo discovers that his Parma ham is rancid. And to top it all off, it has the insufferable Tom Doorley as a judge.

Im addicted to the moronic comments from the rest of the diners:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's the food version of 'The View'.. bunch of pretentious windbags rattling on about that "chocolate sauce was positively ghastly"

It's addictive, but not for the right reasons.

And the diners who think they're fecking grade-A food critics.. "the white wine sauce is quite tart.. it could have been countered with some capers and a splash of honey".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Haruki

Good enough show. But yeah, the diners ! Where do they find them ? Pompous gits. Anyone know if they pay for the meals ?
    Oh and Tom Doorley is a bit of a plank, but Paolo just about gets away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have to say I quite like this show. But then I like food shows, even the pretentious gits on Masterchef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I love this show but if you watch enough episodes, you will see that Tom Doorley waits for everyone to give their opinion and then he echoes exactly what they say. I also love that he is the wine expert that almost always gets the wine wrong. If he says it is a Pinot Noir, you can be sure that it is actually a Shiraz, it is entertaining all the same. Doorley and Tulio are to the restaurant what Waldorf and Statler are to the Muppet Show :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

I like when the diners are saying 'this wine is definately spanish,maybe portuguese'

Then Moncrieff says ' Its a South African Wine'

FAIL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

And every time I see an episode - it seems to be either Amanda "42 Kids" Brunker, Ray "Laugh like a Tommy Gun" D'Arcy or Daithi "I'd Fecking Rattle Ya" O Se.

That or another broadsheet journalist who we quickly skip over when we see their columns in the paper (a la Fiona Looney).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It had everything, the extremely camp and annoyingly over the top gay man,

First of all... LEAVE FRANCIS ALONE... he's a sound man...
    the dreadful members of the public saying things like "It's definitely a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc" and "The salmon wasn't smoked in-house" in some throwback to the bullshít of the Celtic Tiger.

The public are like the characters from one of Ross O'Carroll Kelly's plays... like sooooooooo middle class... Trying to pretend they know what vineyard the wine came from :eek: .... would ye F********K off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I also love that he is the wine expert that almost always gets the wine wrong. If he says it is a Pinot Noir, you can be sure that it is actually a Shiraz, it is entertaining all the same.

He ain't the wine expert in the Irish Times anymore. He just reviews restaurants now I think.
    I wonder if "madam" changed his role after he constantly got it wrong on TV. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I quite like this show, but please stop putting on people from RTE.

Although my favourite quote is always 'I dunno, it taste a bit..Coronation Street..'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

First of all... LEAVE FRANCIS ALONE... he's a sound man...
    Ehh, this thread is about The Restaurant.

Aidric wrote: »
    Ehh, this thread is about The Restaurant.

Eh, who exactly did you think the guest chef was ?

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1091081

Maybe just once before giving one of your now predictable, sarcastic, smart - arse responses to my posts... you might research what you are talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I assumed the OP was referring to the Maitre'D John Healy as opposed to guest chef Francis Brennan. If it was the other way round then I'll happily stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I love this show but if you watch enough episodes, you will see that Tom Doorley waits for everyone to give their opinion and then he echoes exactly what they say. I also love that he is the wine expert that almost always gets the wine wrong. If he says it is a Pinot Noir, you can be sure that it is actually a Shiraz, it is entertaining all the same. Doorley and Tulio are to the restaurant what Waldorf and Statler are to the Muppet Show :D:D

I always notice this too! He waits to see what the special guest critic says and he just agrees with him/her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Me too, its hilarious, watching his sneaky little eyes, trying to get an early read on the other reactions before echoing the opinions.

Paulo is a genuinely unaffected and nice guy. His toddler physique and tendency to hold his spoon/fork like a child learning to use cutlery are endearing.

Sean Moncreiffs voiceover is great, pokes just the right amount of fun at proceedings.

From the first time I saw it I thought the format was excellent, it has it all. Celebrity, Food, a live service, hidden cameras, the pretentious diners, pretentious menu, guess the wine, guess the chef, the staff, the voice over, the reveal and the star rating. I am slightly baffled as to why it has not travelled to the UK/US. Its a fast moving format with no real slack.

I agree it's a good format for a show... I would change just a couple of things..

- the show needs to be longer, or else cut out the break... not a full hour maybe 30-40 full minutes..
    - the whole "identify the wine" bit doesnt really work..

The special get a full hour. 5 star V 5 star, 1 Star V 1 star etc.

It has travel to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Originally Posted by MrsD007 viewpost.gif
    I love this show but if you watch enough episodes, you will see that Tom Doorley waits for everyone to give their opinion and then he echoes exactly what they say. I also love that he is the wine expert that almost always gets the wine wrong. If he says it is a Pinot Noir, you can be sure that it is actually a Shiraz, it is entertaining all the same. Doorley and Tulio are to the restaurant what Waldorf and Statler are to the Muppet Show

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Me too, its hilarious, watching his sneaky little eyes, trying to get an early read on the other reactions before echoing the opinions.

Paulo is a genuinely unaffected and nice guy. His toddler physique and tendency to hold his spoon/fork like a child learning to use cutlery are endearing.

Sean Moncreiffs voiceover is great, pokes just the right amount of fun at proceedings.

From the first time I saw it I thought the format was excellent, it has it all. Celebrity, Food, a live service, hidden cameras, the pretentious diners, pretentious menu, guess the wine, guess the chef, the staff, the voice over, the reveal and the star rating. I am slightly baffled as to why it has not travelled to the UK/US. Its a fast moving format with no real slack.

This is absolutely amazing, I thought I was on my own on this one. You can see his beady eyes waiting on Paolo and the guest judge to comment. And why do the goons getting their free meal cheer each other on when they get it right that it's a man or a woman in fairness there's a 50-50 chance it's one or the other

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

I know this thread is old, mods, but it's relevant!

Been watching this on RTÉ Player.

Gotta agree with everyone that the diner comments are the best part! :D

But another thing: I can't believe how patronising many of the "celebs" are to the kitchen staff! Watching the one with some magazine publisher now - what a twunt!

I like Paolo though, he's sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Speaking of Paulo, his food segment on Moncrief's radio show on Newstalk is really good (3pm today) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Why don't they get Paulo or Tom to cook ... I'd love to see how they would do especially if Helen Lucy was the critic (skin & hair would fly) :)

Agree though the diners comments are often the best part especially the night the couple were clearly having a right row ... talk about a frigid atmosphere. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

I've been reading Paolo's reviews for years. I think it's interesting to contrast his demeanour with that of Irish (and British) food critics. In Italy, good food is a way of life across all socio-economic groups. Here, it's seen as a way to display your bourgeoisie credentials. :D
    Callan57 wrote: »
    Why don't they get Paulo or Tom to cook ... I'd love to see how they would do especially if Helen Lucy was the critic (skin & hair would fly)

I think Paolo actually is an ex-chef and restaurant owner. No idea about Tom Doorley though.

I think Paolo actually is an ex-chef and restaurant owner. No idea about Tom Doorley though.

What was that 1990's food show with Clare McKeon, surely that is enough credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cafecreme

D1976 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by MrsD007 viewpost.gif
    I love this show but if you watch enough episodes, you will see that Tom Doorley waits for everyone to give their opinion and then he echoes exactly what they say. I also love that he is the wine expert that almost always gets the wine wrong. If he says it is a Pinot Noir, you can be sure that it is actually a Shiraz, it is entertaining all the same. Doorley and Tulio are to the restaurant what Waldorf and Statler are to the Muppet Show

This is absolutely amazing, I thought I was on my own on this one. You can see his beady eyes waiting on Paolo and the guest judge to comment. And why do the goons getting their free meal cheer each other on when they get it right that it's a man or a woman in fairness there's a 50-50 chance it's one or the other

I'm watching the 5 star cook-off with A Brunker and Fintan O Toole, but had to echo these opinions on Doorley-he knows nothing about food or wine, a total blagger who wants to be AA Gill. The show would be so much better without him and his stainless steel palate. I'd much prefer Amanda's menu although Fintans tobelrone cheesecake looks very tempting, Doorley cant even tell that its baked and doesnt appear to know what a millefeuille should taste like :D He must be related to somebody in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

A show that has Celtic Tiger syndrome all over it, and should no longer be on prime time television, but what do RTE know 95% of the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

D4 food snobs, Z list celebrities and RTÉ production values... a perfect recipe for scrumptiously atrocious viewing. I'd prefer to watch my own feet being fricaseed.

A show that has Celtic Tiger syndrome all over it, and should no longer be on prime time television, but what do RTE know 95% of the time?

Sure all reality TV has Celtic Tiger syndrome, I would call it Reality TV Syndrome or shallow people thinking they might be it ..... someday
    Wertz wrote: »
    D4 food snobs, Z list celebrities and RTÉ production values... a perfect recipe for scrumptiously atrocious viewing. I'd prefer to watch my own feet being fricaseed.

I disagree I am the first to criticize production values and I will agree they need more mics on the tables, otherwise its quite a good show.

I enjoy food shows and as a "celebrity" driven show I never got the impression oh! here are the celebrities aren't they amazing, rather here are a few familiar faces becoming chefs for the day.

I think they should do a non-celebrity version of the show. Builder V Builder, Farmer V Farmer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

cafecreme wrote: »
    Doorley-he knows nothing about food or wine, a total blagger who wants to be AA Gill.

Agree. I and a mate (who's a bit of wine snob) were at a wine tasting he held at a food fair during the Wexford Opera Festival a few years ago. Part of the session went like this, everyone's sampling a red of some sort;

Doorley; So, what springs to mind on tasting this nice variety?

Mate; Mushy peas!

Doorley; EXACTLY! (waffles for a bit about mushy peas and why they're present on the palate).

I got no hint of peas, mushy or otherwise. I did get a strong taste of bullcrap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Dunno why no one posts on this thread, I really like the show!

Anyway, I just searched for this thread as I notice that Paulo Tulio really isn't looking great, anyone know if he has been ill?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

iirc, he was on the Miriam O' Callaghan TV show a while back about organ donation. From personal experience, I think.

Advertisement