Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'm surprised that RTE are still showing it to some extent, TBH - I would have thought that they would have been done with it once it moved to TV3.

TV3 are still showing lots and lots of ITV programming when new episodes are available on UTV Ireland!

RTÉ possible own some rights to the show?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Elmo wrote: »
    Yet produced by the same production company!

Yeah the show is pretty much the exact same but instead of having a 30 - 60 sec discussion in the Kitchen about the meal you had a 2-3 second sound bite and instead of hearing the audience talk about the meal for 2-3 mins throughout the show you had a total of about 10 seconds of quick flashy soundbites.

The extra time allocated to each part of the show on TV3 makes it into a far better and interesting show to watch. For example I don't think the RTE version goes into why or how the Chefs decided to cook what the meals their meals.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah the show is pretty much the exact same but instead of having a 30 - 60 sec discussion in the Kitchen about the meal you had a 2-3 second sound bite and instead of hearing the audience talk about the meal for 2-3 mins throughout the show you had a total of about 10 seconds of quick flashy soundbites.

The extra time allocated to each part of the show on TV3 makes it into a far better and interesting show to watch. For example I don't think the RTE version goes into why or how the Chefs decided to cook what the meals their meals.

The show produced for RTÉ had reasons for the meals, they also had a few specials for 5 star and 1 Star cook offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Rte are showing repeats of their old episodes now, must have decided there was still some interest after it aired in tv3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Only heard Paolo Tullio had died recently, RIP :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0605/706238-paolo-tullio-death/

Wonder if thats the end for The Restaurant or if he'll be replaced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm sure he will be replaced, but the show won't be the same without him.

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm sure he will be replaced, but the show won't be the same without him.

The show did well for TV3 to bring it back.

RIP Paolo Tullio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Apparently Marco Pierre White will be the "resident" judge on next series. Should be good!

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Apparently Marco Pierre White will be the"resident" judge on next series. Should be good!
    Whats the story there I wonder? You'd think he could beat whatever TV3 are paying him if he got a job in the UK or US instead, or Australia... Why is he in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the story there I wonder? You'd think he could beat whatever TV3 are paying him if he got a job in the UK or US instead, or Australia... Why is he in Ireland?

Aren't they shooting the series in his restaurant?

• Advertisement

Oh really? I didnt know that. Great news anyway, love this programme.

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh really? I didnt know that. Great news anyway, love this programme.

Yeah it's fun how TV3 promote their move from the sticks to Dublin for a better class of celeb, not that they are getting a big product placement.

Though in fairness they seem to have a good set of celeb chefs this season.

And it was always a show that didn't really need the celeb value to it.

Its on! Nobody told me, balls. Watch it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Delighted this started back last night - one of my favourite shows! Enjoying the little plugs that Aldi have where they mention Irish produce. Not liking how they give extra time to the diners, they don't need introductions, photos etc. Why do they think they are the tv stars? That time could be given to the Celeb chef and what's been done in the kitchen and how the service goes. They are putting some of the recipes up on the Aldi website again this year - going to try that Crème Brulee one - still make the bread and butter pudding one from last year.

Overall, an entertaining first episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Overall, an entertaining first episode!

Yes. Good for sh1ts and giggles. Marco Pierre is quite an oddball. He is liable to savage a masterpiece and praise a mess. I don't like that. The late Paulo was a steadier hand on the tiller

Tom came across as a right little sycophant to Marco in that ep, he's done that before whenever a big name is at the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Yes. Good for sh1ts and giggles. Marco Pierre is quite an oddball. He is liable to savage a masterpiece and praise a mess. I don't like that. The late Paulo was a steadier hand on the tiller

Paulo was a legend. I think he will be missed and the program will suffer with out him. RIP Paulo.

And I agree with Thargor, Tom is a total lick ass to those he considers to be VIPs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ally Dick wrote: »

Marco doesn't seem to chat to the others, he makes statements.

It's not a great dynamic.

Ah sh1t, forgot it was on again, got so used to there being absolutely nothing to watch on tv during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

That's cheating Tom, looking up the menu to find out there was a Finnish dish. Sure who else would it be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Clodagh a bit tipsy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,292 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not a fan of Marco

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Not a fan of Marco

Haven't been watching have they done away with the guest judge?

Clodagh was the Guest Judge.

Clodagh was the Guest Judge.

On both episodes?

Elmo wrote: »
    On both episodes?
    No! Just last episode with Doctor Eva as the Chef. I can't remember who the Guest Judge on the first episode was.

Was I the only one watching tonight? Nathan Carter, of Wagon Wheel fame, was the guest chef. Very entertaining show! He left it to the staff to decide how to cook the dishes, as it seemed he only wrote the menu and left it to them take it from there. LOL!

Marco, once again was rude, refusing to taste two of the dishes, much to the Staff's annoyance.

I came to the opinion that the Staff are the real stars of that show. One of the guys, taking off Marco's hand gestures, really broke me up!

One of the diners guessed who it was, because one of the desserts was named "Wagon Wheel Cheese Cake".

Yeah Marco is pretty annoying and takes away from the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah Marco is pretty annoying and takes away from the show.

He lost all credibility for me when he did that Knorr Stockpot ad claiming that professional chefs use Knorr stock. He must have a cheap price imo.

Advertisement