Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions

Options
  • 09-02-2011 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hello,i hope someone can help me..
    I wish to purchase an air rifle,i have a FAC and cert to own one etc,and i wish to purchase on online from england,i live in ireland of course,and the shop i am buying this is in england,i am buying it over the internet and they're posting it to me,I am wondering Since the air rifle is an illegal item UNLESS you have a license for it,will customs confiscate it?? I mean they won't know if i have a license or not so will they confiscate it or will they let it come to me? Do they always check every package?
    Please help,thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Maddenman wrote: »
    I wish to purchase an air rifle,i have a FAC and cert to own one etc,and i wish to purchase on online from england,i live in ireland of course,and the shop i am buying this is in england,i am buying it over the internet and they're posting it to me,I am wondering Since the air rifle is an illegal item UNLESS you have a license for it,will customs confiscate it?? I mean they won't know if i have a license or not so will they confiscate it or will they let it come to me? Do they always check every package?
    Please help,thank you.

I would be surprised if they didn't withold it. But if you have a licence then they should release it to you once all is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's try the Airsoft forum with this one

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Too rich for our blood here. An air rifle is a firearm under Irish law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yup - off to shooting with this :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Maddenman wrote: »
    I wish to purchase an air rifle,i have a FAC and cert to own one etc,and i wish to purchase on online from england,i live in ireland of course,and the shop i am buying this is in england,i am buying it over the internet and they're posting it to me...................... ,

Gonna break this down into 2 parts. Firstly DO NOT buy over the internet and have it sent to you (just yet anyway).

An air rifle is, under Irish law, a firearm. You cannot simply buy one and ship it over. There are procedures, licenses, import documents, etc to be gotten first. You say you have a license, but is it for this particular rifle and serial number. If not then you need to use an FCA1 to apply for the necessary license. You also need to have a gun safe secured to a solid wall in your house to comply with the basic security measures set out for owning 1 unrestricted firearm.

To get the rifle into Ireland you need to apply for an import license from the DOJ (available on their website). You also need an Article 7 from your local Super. To get these documents you need to have a copy of the firearm dealers license in the UK. Once you have all these you supply them to the dealer in the UK, and in the meantime he will be getting an export license to ship the rifle to you. NOw air rifles under a certain power are not classed as firearms in the UK so i'm not too sure if he can just send them or whether paperwork will be needed.

9 times out of 10 the DOJ/Gardai require that the firearm be sent to you via a registered firearms dealer here in Ireland. Not always the case, but it could be a restriction placed on the import. Your Super/FO will advice on this.

Once all this is done the rifle is shipped and this is when customs get involved.
    ............... I am wondering Since the air rifle is an illegal item UNLESS you have a license for it,will customs confiscate it?? I mean they won't know if i have a license or not so will they confiscate it or will they let it come to me? Do they always check every package?
    Please help,thank you.

Assuming you have done all the above there will be import/export documents with the rifle and customs will see that all is above board and forward it onto you. If you try and import the rifle without doing any of the above you will be guilty of an offense (illegally importing firearms), and may face prosecution.

That aside if all is above board the rifle will either come to you or more than likely to the RFD that your Super/FO demanded it be sent to. If it has to go to the RFD you simply go into the shop when it arrives, produce your valid firearms license and then walk out with your rifle.

I must stress DO NOT simply try and buy the rifle and ship it over without import license/Article 7/current firearms cert, etc. You will only land yourself in trouble.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement