Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland?

Options
  • 09-02-2011 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

I am currently living in New Zealand, but my husband and I have always said we wanted to return to Galway some day to raise our daughter. I was offered a great job that would be willing to pay our moving expenses, but we wonder if now is a good time to return with the current economic state. Whilst I would be walking into a job, there is no guarantee that my husband would get one in a timely manner.

How stupid is it to even think of moving back now? We read all the doom and gloom stories, but how bad is it really living it in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Depends on what your husband does I suppose? There are jobs for those who have the skills for them... or so I hear...

A lot of the stories are over-dramatised :P

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I wouldn't say that it's stupid to think of moving back, if it's what you really want to do, you should do it. The economic climate is very tough, but it depends on what kind of jobs your husband would be going for. You should then try to get as much info on whether there are many jobs in that industry in the Galway area (you could ask here, or even ask your new employers for some advice). I would say to give it very careful consideration. If you both get solid jobs, you will be laughing.

That said, having visited NZ, why would anyone ever leave? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dire and getting worse. Don't come near the place. You cannot even sign on under the ordinary residence rule. The most you will get is €150 of child benefit a month.

Because FF wrote a blank cheque guarantee for their mates in the banks the country has gone from a debt of €30bn in 2007 to a debt of €340bn today..= $600bn NZ Dollars debt with the same population. Having written the blank cheque we haven't got a single functioning bank lending into the economy after all that. :(

The emigration rate this year will easily match the worst years of the 1980s, same next year ...same each of the next few years too it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tscall

My husband works in IT as a Database Administrator, so he has very good qualifications, but we have heard rumors about even the most qualified people struggling to find work. But if emigration is as prevalent as it sounds, then that must mean there will be less people fighting for the same jobs right?! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That will be the case in two or three years perhaps. For now there is relatively little DBA work save in Dublin...which is only 2 hours from Galway by road nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check sites like www.irishjobs.ie, www.simplyhired.ie etc for DBA positions.
    Perhaps your husband can continue to work where he currently is, just from Galway? It's worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If I was away I'd give it 12~24 months and see what happens in Ireland before making the jump. Its going to get worse here not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

If you can afford to have your husband take time to find the right job then you should consider it. We've just made the move back, for the same reason (kids starting school), after many years away and don't regret it one bit. However we were moving from somewhere a lot less user-friendly than NZ so the positive contrast was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

If you really, really want to be here ... for the sake of your kids or yourself ... then go for it.

But I just came home after 12 months on a career break and I'm shocked, by the pay cuts, the tax increases, the lack of hope, the numbers emigration, the waffle from the politicians, the lies from Fianna Fail.

I'd also suggest you wait a year or two at least and see what happens. Right now the ordinary people of Ireland are being penalised for the sins of an elite minority of bankers, developers, and politicians, and we could be struggling for five to ten years as a result.

I know I'm lucky to have a job in Ireland, but I've found it very tough adjusting back when there is so much negativity about. The guy next to me, in his early 30s and married just two years, is down about 800 euros a month and struggling to pay the mortgage.

If you have a good life in New Zealand, I think you'd be mad to move back unless you are desperately homesick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dire and getting worse. Don't come near the place. You cannot even sign on under the ordinary residence rule. The most you will get is €150 of child benefit a month.

It's the habitual residence rule .. ordinary only takes three months to achieve, habitual takes two years. But it's irrelevant, because she'll have a well-paying job, he won't be eligible anyway. And the child benefit is more than they'd get in NZ, which abolished family-benefit eons ago.

OP, if your husband is prepared to be unemployed for a while (and I'm talking months, not weeks), then I'd say go for it. Actually, if he could re-train as a Java developer, then he'd most probably be snapped up.

I'm not sure that the Irish education system is something I'd be coming back for: schools here have class sizes that NZ lost 10-15 years ago (I've heard stories of 30-35 new entrants!), and for some reason many secondary school kids seem to need grinds (something that only a few do in NZ).

Do you have permanent residence - ie can you go back if you decide Ireland's not actually what you want? ('Tis a very common story for people from Ireland/UK to move to Aus/NZ, try it, go home again ... and six months alter change their minds). What about your daughter, has she got a NZ passport (she'll love you for it when she's old enough to travel ... trust me, I've NEVER had to get a visa, God bless the French).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Hard to say. I am also down about 800 quid a month from what I had in the same job three years ago, despite pay rises. The schools are suffering and the standard of education at primary and secondary level is not what it was back when you'd have been in school. Banks appear not to be giving out mortgages so unless you've a wad of cash saved you'd most likely be renting. Having said all that I love living in ireland so I would see the advantages nonetheless. What area of work is your husband in? There are still jobs in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I'd say you're daft. We were all in school in NZ for a year, far better than here. All my class get grinds here, whether they need them or not. Huge classes and no help for weaker students. My parents have work but most people in my class have one parent out of work, I'd stay put a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

myself and my sister are both in full time jobs at the moment,and are still trying to get the hell out of here,if only for a year or that. was in NZ few years ago and want to go back again if possible. never wanted to leave the place the first time!

but in saying that,like other posters have said,if its what you really want and have thought long and hard about it,then go for it. i personally think that the lifestyle and quality of life is far better in nz than here. i think any where would be better than here at the moment.

best of luck with whatever you choose though OP, let us know how it goes! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Dont come back to ireland. Your kids will never forgive you.

Japan had a similiar crash as to what we are experiencing now in 1989 and they are still not over it.

It also looks highly likely that Ireland will default at some stage.

Between FF, the bankers and the EU they are slowly turning Ireland into a third world country. There is no hope for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

As someone who's still in school in Ireland I can say that the claims here a bit exaggerated about the state of education here. My average class size is around 25 people, but it goes as low as 11 for some subjects. Plus, the Irish school has something no other school has (as far as I know), transition year. And despite all the complaining from adults who've never themselves experience what it's like today, it is such a great year. Wouldn't want to go to school anywhere else to be honest.
    I'd say there'd be a few tech jobs in Dublin so maybe if you guys were to compromise and move just outside of Galway so it's a fairly even commute for both of you if he can't find a job in Galway.

If you really want to move back then go for it. There's a big of negativity around but this won't last forever so if you're willing to stick it out for the next couple of years, I think you'll be happy with your decision in the long run if it's want you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

There's much more to raising kids than simply the school they'll go to.
    Culture plays a big part, and close proximity to the rest of Europe is a huge plus. And besides there's excellent schools in Galway.

Anyway this seems like a polarized topic.

Go for it :)

Thanks for the input.

We do have permanent residency here in NZ so we don't have to move back, and my daughter is only 3, so we have a bit of time before she starts school.

Perhaps it would be best if we waited since we do have it pretty good here in New Zealand, jobs, friends, ect. It's just that we are soooo far away from family, and it is so hard to make it back even to visit. We haven't been back to Ireland since we left 4 years ago!

What's a few more years away in the bigger scheme of things? I do hate to miss out on a great job though.

tscall,

Understand you completely re the distance thing, even if the likes of Skype and FB have revolutionised communications with home. I was in Oz twice but it was the distance thing in the end which brought me back to the oul' sod. There is just no fun in 24 hour journeys hope, especially if you've reached an age where parents, etc., are elderly.

But if I were you, I'd count your blessings. Irish people tend to romanticise home a lot when we're away, but it is pretty dire here at the moment. We've been ruined by bankers, politicians, and property developers, and you'd even notice how much fewer people are working on the roads in the mornings. It's scary.

Right now, Ireland is not a good place to be, and it could even get worse if we have to default or thousands can't pay their mortgages. These are ordinary, decent people in negative equity who have been betrayed by their so-called leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

Greece: protest & riot
    France: protest & riot
    Spain: protest
    UK: protest & riot
    Ireland: emigrate

As much as we've been betrayed by politicians & bankers - most of all we have betrayed ourselves with our pathetic inaction. We get what we allow.

As much as we've been betrayed by politicians & bankers - most of all we have betrayed ourselves with our pathetic inaction. We get what we allow.

All I have wanted to do for a months now is protest. Protest at anything. Its not happening. I really hate the attitude of lying down rolling around in the abuse. We should be out on the streets demanding to bring back execution for bertie ahern, mccreevy, cowen, lenihan, seanie fitzpatrick and anybody else that took ireland down. Or at least jail for them. In my opinion execution of these people is the only thing that could help ireland. We could sell tickets to the world for the hanging events. All the irish who were forced out in the 80s could come home for a holiday for the hanging events and spend their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

tscall wrote: »
    How stupid is it to even think of moving back now? We read all the doom and gloom stories, but how bad is it really living it in?

Bad enough it made me move to New Zealand! Was unemployed for a year after returning from a Working holiday in NZ. Was getting no where fast trying to find a job anywhere in Galway and further afield, so applied for a Residence Visa under the skilled migrant category. After couple of months I got that, and moved here in June of 2010 (it was a will we , wont we thing, but I think if we didn't we'd have regretted not taking the opportunity in a few years time).
    Got a job within a month of moving here and have been there for 6 months nearly now, so I would very much advise you to be practical and really think your decision through before you book a plane ticket.
    And in fairness, what the bloody hell has Ireland got that NZ doesn't?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We recently left as well, but we went to Canada not NZ. My husband was made redundant from his Galway job, and although the other people who were made redundant at the same time have all found jobs now, they had to move to Dublin to do it.

When I think about moving to Galway in 2008 I still count it as one of the worst decisions I've ever made, nevermind now.

I can understand the will we - won't we scenario. It would be a no brainer if it wasn't for the fact that I have a job waiting for me. We already have a trip to Ireland planned in April for a holiday, so the idea was to just not come back since the job would start in May. We would be able to survive on my income, but we would like to do more than just "survive", so my husband would need to find a job within a few months at least.

What does Ireland have that NZ doesn't? Besides loved ones and the ability to leave the country as a family of 3 for under $1000? Try houses with central heating, double glazing, and insulation! Seriously, if you had survived 4 Wellington winters in Kiwi made houses, you'd understand. You've got in easy in Auckland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Whilst it may not be a similar situation I will balance some of the negativity by saying that we moved here from London 5 years ago.

Its probably one of the best decisions we have made despite the paycuts taxes etc we have a much better standard of living (and I'm not just talking about a financial side of things) here than we could ever have expected in London.

Yes things are tight but we live in a place with so much on your doorstep and I am not in my 20s anymore so the bright lights of London just arent as appealing (and are bloody expensive!)

So would I have done the same move if I had known what was down the line, then the answer is yes, so to the OP, its going to be hard decision to make as lots of pros and cons and unfortunately on a board like this you will get black and white opinions when in reality every ones case is unique

I just watched 'The Pipe' on TG4 last night. A brilliant documentary about an absolute disgrace. Our Government sold off our gas rights to Shell at an unbelievably low price and then our wonderful Gardai wade in with batons into a poor North Mayo community where ordinary decent fishermen and farmers are just trying to defend their land and their way of life.

Our Government, our State is an absolute disgrace, but people would rather watch the All-Ireland talent show or the X-Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Don't believe all the doom and gloom. Yes, the economy is in a bad state and our politicians are a right shower but there's an awful lot going on here and Galway is part of that. I grew up in County Roscommon, went to uni in Belfast followed by a stint in Dublin (*spit*), then ~7 years in Singapore and now I've 'blown in' to Galway (almost 3 years). Here's my 2c: If you feel like you want to move back then do. There's no 'right' time to make that kind of change you just need to make sure that circumstances are generally right. You've said that you have a good job to come to and that it can support your family, for a couple of months at least. So, financial circumstances are right. Your husband may find it a little difficult to find a DBA job but sticking at it will get him there. It might mean doing a commute for awhile or perhaps contract roles but IT is doing well here. I'm sure there are also many who would be happy to help open doors for him in terms of networking/introductions.

Galway is a great place to live and work (in that order), the roads may be **** and roundabouts a lottery but I'm glad to be here. Then again, if you're from Galway you know all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

tscall wrote: »
    What does Ireland have that NZ doesn't? Besides loved ones and the ability to leave the country as a family of 3 for under $1000? Try houses with central heating, double glazing, and insulation! Seriously, if you had survived 4 Wellington winters in Kiwi made houses, you'd understand. You've got in easy in Auckland!

Jesus, I barely lived through winters (and what passes as summers) in Irish houses due to the shoddy level (by my Canadian standards) of heating, glazing* and insulation. I think I'd have gone postal in NZ!

celty wrote: »
    Our Government, our State is an absolute disgrace, but people would rather watch the All-Ireland talent show or the X-Factor.
    I agree. We have just witnessed the utter destruction of our economy due to pure carelessness and negligence on behave of our government. Something that will leave many and many families struggling for a very long time.

The ex prime minster of iceland was jailed for criminal negligence in the running of their country. And here? People are all too happy to roll around in the abuse handed to us and allow FF to walk away free. We've been sold into debt slavery and poverty. And people have a sickening attitude here on boards that the unemployed never worked a day in their lives and the reason they're all struggling is that they bought houses, cars, holidays, coke and hookers all on the credit card of course.

I cannot understand the attitude of allowing FF to walk away free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ilovesleep wrote: »
    ...that they bought houses, cars, holidays, coke and hookers. ...

To paraphrase....not everyone is Charlie Sheen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Culture plays a big part, and close proximity to the rest of Europe is a huge plus.

The funniest bit of this statement is the vast majority of Irish people have no understanding of the concept of ethnicity, and aren't bi-lingual (English/Irish), much less having another European language.

Re education and the person who posted about class sizes: those figures you have are for secondary school, they're quite different at national schools. Every country has relatively good and bad schools, but IMHO the ones in the middle are worse in Ireland.

As your daughter is only 3, though, you may be more interested in early-childhood education standards. NZ is vastly better: In Ireland, the best you can get is Montessori. In NZ, someone who's training is only in Monetessori isn't even counted as qualified, and from sometime soon (was going to be 2012, but I think they had to put it back) won't even be allowed to work in early-childhood.

As to central heating and double-glazing: bah-humbug, put some clothes on! ... :) Seriously, Wellington doesn't get as cold as Ireland does (and yes, I do know, lived there for 40 years). There's a push now to install more double-glazing and insulation, but CH is just OTT given the climate.

Passing up a good job may be hard, but remember the risks too: in NZ, the recently-introduced probation is I think only three months, and there's compulsory paid sick leave. Here it's a year, and sick-leave just means that you're allowed not to go to work.

As to what Ireland has that NZ doesn't, then (apart from the obvious family/friends) the answer is music and the arts: there are opportunities here that simply don't exist there.

Overall, I'd say follow your instincts. And whatever you do, do it with the attitude of making it work for you.

Advertisement