Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    If you could PM me the details, I'll informally check it out.

No checking required. The people concerned have found their own solution (go elsewhere), and don't want a fuss made.

Would this have anything to do with the recent AH thread? Of course people understand different ethnicities, but there is a lot of history with travellers in Ireland, going back a long, long time. It's a process of education on both sides, and I'm glad to say that people working on it are doing a sterling job. The emphasis is being placed on educating people and changing behaviour, not getting rid of them.

I don't read AH, so no.

But I'll stand my claim that the vast majority of Irish people don't understand the word "ethnicity".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

JustMary wrote: »
    No checking required. The people concerned have found their own solution (go elsewhere), and don't want a fuss made.
    In the interests of nipping presumed further problems in the bud though, surely an independent and informal inquiry could be made? It should be easy to verify.
    JustMary wrote: »
    But I'll stand my claim that the vast majority of Irish people don't understand the word "ethnicity".
    Sounds like a generalisation made on the basis of race to be honest. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gr8scott

Not a great time to return it has to be said, but follow your passion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Taxi drivers are in a bit of an unusual position though, in that they organsie into a few companies, and their industry has received a lot of immigrants. And in fairness most taxi drivers are alright with it, its the bad apples that give everyone else a bad name.

Its been longer since the IBC-based start of large amounts of immigration, compared to when the UK started getting a flood of Commonwealth immigration - result in the UK, race riots, result in Ireland, not a peep.

I was actually talking about attitudes by the general public toward black taxi drivers. I take a fair few taxis though, and trust me, many White drivers (not most but many) like a good rant about black drivers until I let them know I'm not interested in the rant, and amn't likely to hire ranty drivers again.

My point about other countries was that yes, timescale plays a part. I think my own view lies between yours and JustMarys in terms of how we are as a nation. But it is all relative to our own circles and past experience. What we can do is let people know when their behaviour is unacceptable to us, especailly when paying for a service. We ARE notorious for keeping the head down and stewing and ranting later!

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think my own view lies between yours and JustMarys in terms of how we are as a nation.
    If the entire and complete 30 million population of Poland had uprooted itself and moved to the US from 2004 to 2006, you'd have the equivalent immigration received by Ireland in the same period. And yet we have a notable lack of anti immigrant groups, protests, race riots, or any of the baggage our European neighbours are experiencing, thankfully.

There are plenty of very real and present problems facing Ireland at the moment without creating imaginary monsters to fight.

• Advertisement

If the entire and complete 30 million population of Poland had uprooted itself and moved to the US from 2004 to 2006, you'd have the equivalent immigration received by Ireland in the same period. And yet we have a notable lack of anti immigrant groups, protests, race riots, or any of the baggage our European neighbours are experiencing, thankfully.

There are plenty of very real and present problems facing Ireland at the moment without creating imaginary monsters to fight.

If you reread my posts you will see that I agree comparing Ireland to other countries is pointless. Our situation is quite unique in terms recent immigration into a country that until then was the 'whitest' in the world. We had no proper policies in place, and are still IMO, fairly shellshocked.
    Again, how each people expresses racism is fairly unique too. One could argue that we should all be rioting on the streets for political unrest too, yet the way we express that is far from blatent too.

Our situation is quite unique in terms recent immigration
    No, it's not. This was already pointed out to you.
    Again, how each people expresses racism is fairly unique too. One could argue that we should all be rioting on the streets for political unrest too, yet the way we express that is far from blatent too.
    Well you can see anything if you really want to I guess. This is all entirely OT at this point, so I'll leave it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

tscall wrote: »
    My husband works in IT as a Database Administrator, so he has very good qualifications, but we have heard rumors about even the most qualified people struggling to find work. But if emigration is as prevalent as it sounds, then that must mean there will be less people fighting for the same jobs right?! :)

HP Galway might be the place for your husband.

Of course when our European overlords force our hand on corporation tax all multinational will disappear within a few years, jobs moved to India, Tunisia an other such low operating cost areas.

No, it's not. This was already pointed out to you.

Just because it was 'pointed out to me' doesn't mean it's accurate or I completely agree :) You are right in that we'll all see what we want to see, and yes, swaying off topic too. OP I think your idea of a visit is wise, you'll get glimpses of how things are and how much weighing up you'll need to do. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

tscall wrote: »

I am currently living in New Zealand, but my husband and I have always said we wanted to return to Galway some day to raise our daughter. I was offered a great job that would be willing to pay our moving expenses, but we wonder if now is a good time to return with the current economic state. Whilst I would be walking into a job, there is no guarantee that my husband would get one in a timely manner.

How stupid is it to even think of moving back now? We read all the doom and gloom stories, but how bad is it really living it in?

Hi tscall,

We moved back to Galway in the Summer of 2008 from London. I'm from here and my husband is English. The first few months were tricky enough - had a new baby and were astounded at the price of things. I think prices (groceries mostly) have gone down though, but don't get me started on petrol!

Having said that, compared to the UK, the education is much better, the city is friendly and there is loads to do with kids here.

There is doom and gloom about, where isn't there at the moment?

All I can say is that hubby (who works in IT) had a new job within 3 months of looking for one, older son loves school here and the freedom of running about with other kids, baby is in creche. I'm a freelancer and have found it tough enough to get work here, but because of the nature of what I do (writing) I can work for anyone from home so have a number of clients in the UK.

On a final note, it was fantastic to come back to family!

Good luck with your decision :)

• Advertisement

Sounds like a generalisation made on the basis of race to be honest. :p

;)

Well called!

HP Galway might be the place for your husband.

Have policites there changed? In 2008 they were working on centralising all DBAs to ... can't remember where, maybe India? Or was it one plant in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Believe Fidelity will be looking for Database people too so there might be opportunities there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fordey73

Ive been in Australia 10 years and married an Aussie girl 3 years ago, we both have well paid jobs and have a great lifestyle. However. I have no family here and Ive missed all my nephews and nieces grow up, missed loads of my mates weddings and my parents have grown elderly in thsi time.

For these reasons we've decided to upsticks and are heading home in August. My wife has picked up a job in her career which pays quite well, shes been to Ireland 7 times and loves it there (Irish heritage) I work in construction managment but have wanted to get out of it for years so the move is perfect. We will be renting out our home here in Sydney so can come back if we want.

Everyone keeps forgetting that yes, things are tough but wont be forever and they have their friends and family around them. Something i have yearned for for quite some time, and at the end of the day that is whats important in life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

aw jaysus can you delete your second post Fordey :( . we don't wanna go there again.

You will find your construction management career will terminate the minute you leave the plane in Dublin anyway.

I don't think you realise that in terms of work and opportunities galway is back where it was in 1985 at present. There is no money in this country now.

I'd nearly consider a long holiday of maybe 3 or 4 months if I were you.

Fordey73 wrote: »
    Just Mary

On what basis do you say that irish people do not understand the term ethnicity?

you reject any offers to check out some of the other 'stories' you have heard.

You speak about your wonderful Maori song and dance ... but in the same breath you refer to the "diddley eye" of Irish traditional music which is conemptuous in its tone ...

Yawn, goodness what an old thread to be resurrecting.

1) Observation: there's a difference between race, nationality and ethnicity, which many people I've talked to and/or read posts from don't understand.

2) I've no plans to put people who've told me in confidence about experiences they had - which they have found their own ways to resolve - through more "investigations".

3) I don't speak Maori. I do play Irish trad. People here can draw their own conclusions.

Welcome back to Ireland. Good luck in your new career - 'cos you're surely not going to be working in construction here. I hope you manage to settle in here after so long away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fordey73

Thank you just Mary,,,,I realised it was an old post but stil felt I needed to respond. Ive done that now & Ive deleted the post.

Ive absolutely no intentions of working in construction, even if there was loads of construction work I would get out of it,,,horrible, nasty industry. Gonna take it easy for 6 months and see what happens

Advertisement