Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE11 - Ask the Candidate - Justin Collery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

As a single independant what do you think you can achieve, realistically?

If your answer involves other independants then I ask you which other independants do you get on with? Have you discussed alliances with them? or are you taking it for granted that you will be able to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

Funfair wrote: »
    And leave Bad debt all over the place? That will close down half the small business in the Country as it will be abused like everything else in the Country.

Bankruptcy is not to be taken likely. You loose everything. People already take advantage of credit, but changing bankruptcy law is simply facing up to reality.
    Jonybgud wrote: »
    As a single independant what do you think you can achieve, realistically?

If your answer involves other independants then I ask you which other independants do you get on with? Have you discussed alliances with them? or are you taking it for granted that you will be able to?

Yes, I do. I have had discussions specifically with Stephen Donnelly (Wicklow) and Paul Sommerville (Dublin SE). It is too close to the election to do anything formal, but if elected we would look to work together. Personally I would like to see a new party based on real policies and values such as I have outlined on my website and to move away from a civil war that happened nearly 100 years ago.

The reality has been over the last 20 years that smaller parties have held a disproportionate amount of power. Even if we do not hold power, I think we can hold the government to account in a much more effective manner than the opposition presented by FG. This is not just a referendum on the FF government but also the FG opposition.

Thanks again for all the questions, keep them coming. If you want more info on any answer just let me know.

Thanks and regards,
    Justin

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Bankruptcy is not to be taken likely. You loose everything. People already take advantage of credit, but changing bankruptcy law is simply facing up to reality.

Unfortunately the reality is at the moment a Person let’s say opens a sweet shop gets his Milk, Butter, Bread, Meat, Papers, Coal etc. on Credit from local suppliers pays for a few months then gives them dribs and drabs builds up about €50,000- €100,000 in debt in about 12 months. He then defaults on his rent and closes the shop.

This is the reality at the moment, the guy then heads off to Limerick or Galway and does the same thing and nobody can do a thing about it.
    It would take years getting this guy to court and most small business give up the chase.

But if the Law eventually catches up on him are you saying he can declare bankruptcy and start doing the same again in 2 years ?

Unfortunately the reality is at the moment a Person let’s say opens a sweet shop gets his Milk, Butter, Bread, Meat, Papers, Coal etc. on Credit from local suppliers pays for a few months then gives them dribs and drabs builds up about €50,000- €100,000 in debt in about 12 months. He then defaults on his rent and closes the shop.

This is the reality at the moment, the guy then heads off to Limerick or Galway and does the same thing and nobody can do a thing about it.
    It would take years getting this guy to court and most small business give up the chase.

But if the Law eventually catches up on him are you saying he can declare bankruptcy and start doing the same again in 2 years ?

Nope. What you are describing falls under fraud and reckless trading, both of which you can go to jail for and be prevented from setting up another company or holding a managerial position. What you are describing can happen today, and nothing I am proposing changes that. I am a small business owner, I have had these happen to me, I am painfully aware of the consequencies of what you describe for small business.

What I am saying is this. If you bought a house in 2007 for €350k and your husband/wife has lost their job, you have taken a pay cut and you just can't pay any more, I am saying putting you through 12 years of bankruptcy (that's the law!) is bad for you and bad for the country. This is a very common scenario throughout the country and if we want to get growing again it needs to be tackled.

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks,
    JC

What I am saying is this. If you bought a house in 2007 for €350k and your husband/wife has lost their job, you have taken a pay cut and you just can't pay any more, I am saying putting you through 12 years of bankruptcy (that's the law!) is bad for you and bad for the country. This is a very common scenario throughout the country and if we want to get growing again it needs to be tackled.

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks,
    JC

Thanks Justin for your detailed reply, The above I agree with in principal, but what would happen to the house in that situation, do the banks just have to take it back and forfeit the negitive equity or can the owner pay a minimal amount and hold on to the house and the banks lose the majority of the €350k

Either way that could run into problems firstly if the banks get back the house the City/Co Council will have to re-house the family putting serious pressure on their allready under pressure finances and housing allocations.

If he's allowed keep the house paying something like €40 a week the neighbours won't be too hapy paying €400 a week for the same house and it will also but more pressure on the failing banks.

The bankruptcy laws will have to be thought through very carefully to find a way through the potential minefield of problems associated with it.

But you are right Justin something will have to be done for people struggling in the above situations and the faster the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

People create jobs, not governments.
    1 - Reduce all government controlled charges by 30%. Rates, water, ESB etc. This will save jobs currently on the brink and allow companies to compete internationally.
    2 - Use NAMA properties as incubation centers. I've been through the HPSU (high potential start-up) system. I found the greatest benefit was the free office space and being surrounded by other start-ups. Lets replicate that.
    3 - Simplify the tax code and other red tape. Armies of lawyers and accounts are not productive, they are costs. The government must be aggressive in reducing costs for business. This will lead directly to jobs. Moreover the jobs will be sustainable and Irish business will be more competitive. We are fixated [correctly] on the corporation tax issue, but there are lots of costs that feed into doing business in Ireland. JC

Although a 30% drop in rates may be benifical is this a random figure oris it based on some kind of analysis?
    There was a massive rates hike in Waterford city about 3 years ago, rates should be reduced to at least pre "Celtic Tiger" amounts, if not by more considering the economic challanges that many SMEs face. Many business are barely staying afloat and are existing on overdrafts - the prohibitive rate charges are driving these people and there employees on to social welfare. One person on social welfare @ €188 for one year costs €9776, this is more most small businesses will pay in rates charges, but the state will allow small business to go under rather then give a waiver on rates - its stupidity of the highest order.

Agree that some NAMA properties could be used to benefit society, especial when you read stories like this one http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0128/1224288457617.html.
    I never realised that HPSU's got free office space - could you let me know the exact name of the scheme that allows for this - I would really appreciate this. Is this just design space?

When you say simplify the tax code, what do you mean, would it be VIES and the complete nightmare that is filling in these returns? Would completely agree with allowing for a simplier and easier way for sending in year end returns. Audit costs are very expensive, a template that allowed people who don't have that many transactions with in the year to make returns without needing to employ an accountant would be a great service to SMEs. Audit exemption charges really must be raised

Although a 30% drop in rates may be benifical is this a random figure oris it based on some kind of analysis?

If we had our own currency it would be about the size of the devaluation we would make. I'm suggesting an internal devaluation (it will happen whether we like it or not, better to be in control rather than be pushed) and that is why I pick that number.
    There was a massive rates hike in Waterford city about 3 years ago, rates should be reduced to at least pre "Celtic Tiger" amounts, if not by more considering the economic challanges that many SMEs face. Many business are barely staying afloat and are existing on overdrafts - the prohibitive rate charges are driving these people and there employees on to social welfare. One person on social welfare @ €188 for one year costs €9776, this is more most small businesses will pay in rates charges, but the state will allow small business to go under rather then give a waiver on rates - its stupidity of the highest order.

I could not agree more, but no other party are saying this! It's election time and every party wants to make promises and spend more money. They have completely lost sight of the fact that it's all about costs. The government needs to do its part in bringing down costs and the jobs will follow. Sometimes I think before we have a smart economy we need some smart politicians!
    Agree that some NAMA properties could be used to benefit society, especial when you read stories like this one http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0128/1224288457617.html.
    I never realised that HPSU's got free office space - could you let me know the exact name of the scheme that allows for this - I would really appreciate this. Is this just design space?

I was on the first Hothouse program back in 2002. It was run in conjunction with the DIT in Dublin. We got office space on the North Wall in Dublin. It was open plan, but we all had our own office space. It was a wonderful environment to work in, really exciting. It was an excellent program and I know that at least 25% of those involved are still self employed and employing others, exactly the type of result we need to encourage.
    When you say simplify the tax code, what do you mean, would it be VIES and the complete nightmare that is filling in these returns? Would completely agree with allowing for a simplier and easier way for sending in year end returns. Audit costs are very expensive, a template that allowed people who don't have that many transactions with in the year to make returns without needing to employ an accountant would be a great service to SMEs. Audit exemption charges really must be raised

I cannot think of a single part of the tax code that would not benefit from simplification. As an example the 2010 guide to corporation tax runs to many hundreds of pages. Every extra line of text can be interpreted, mis-interpreted, argued, etc. We need to be fastidious about every aspect of government, especially the tax code to make it as transparent and easy to understand as possible. As another example, my mother contacted citizens advice to find out about her pension entitlements. The system was so convoluted it essentially came down to a judgement call, the rules were so complicated they were actually meaningless. A simpler system will be cheaper to administer and better able to cope for peoples needs (less administration = more money for services).

Thanks again for the questions. Can I just add my thanks to the people of City Square, Quinnsworth and Tramore who I have been meeting over the last couple of days. I've been bowled over with the response, and really heartened that we are on the verge of doing something great here in Waterford.

Thanks again,
    Justin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Justin if Elected what would you do about

1.) Childcare costs - Monthly private Childcare costs for pre-schoolers at €700+ per child is extorinate and a real barrier to employment

2.) Reversing Individulaisation. Is it fair for one household to be penalised because they only have one wage eaner while the house next door is able to earn a much higher income and pay less tax due to two wage earners.

With reagrds to point 2. If a household was not forced into sending both parents out to work, but could instead have one parent give up work and rare their childern (with almost the same take home pay) - surley this would create extra jobs by having lots of people vacate the workplace in favour of raring their children, looking after eldery relatives etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A few questions for you Justin... :)

Firstly, are you planning on canvassing much in the remaining weeks? I just spotted one of your leaflets come in the door by a Leaflet Delivery Company and was wondering were you going to canvass much?

Secondly, if you were elected much like the current shower of Independents - would you sit back and hold the country to ransom just like they did? The people clearly wanted change, they clearly wanted Fianna Fail out and the Independents who often canvass along the same lines as you do - they held the government up.

Thirdly, you seem to think we are doomed if Fine Gael, Labour or any other party gets re-elected and into Government. So you must feel our choices are poor, and they will all carry on the same way Fianna Fail have done. Its a shame, because none of the other parties were in government for a very long time so it seems a tad unfair to brandish them all as "essentially the same"

Fourthly, for someone who wants to deliver and bring so much change and felt so unhappy with the government and the opposition - why did you declare so late? Where were you until now? Why not throw your hat into the ring for the by-election? Or when the GE looked to be called in January or even when it did?

Finally, when you decided you were going to run - who did you speak with before running (outside of your immediate family) to get an idea if it was worthy to run or not?

Bards wrote: »

1.) Childcare costs - Monthly private Childcare costs for pre-schoolers at €700+ per child is extorinate and a real barrier to employment

2.) Reversing Individulaisation. Is it fair for one household to be penalised because they only have one wage eaner while the house next door is able to earn a much higher income and pay less tax due to two wage earners.

Sorry for butting in Bards...

But wouldn't statement 1.) above only effect the household with the 2 wages coming in therefore they will need the extra income if your €700 + is correct ?

And surely you’re not suggesting that the non-wage earner in the one wage income house, should get the same money for staying in bed till 11am as the lady next door, who is in work at 8am or the husband who’s in since 7am.?

• Advertisement

Sorry for butting in Bards...

But wouldn't statement 1.) above only effect the household with the 2 wages coming in therefore they will need the extra income if your €700 + is correct ?

And surely you’re not suggesting that the non-wage earner in the one wage income house, should get the same money for staying in bed till 11am as the lady next door, who is in work at 8am or the husband who’s in since 7am.?

non-wage earner will get nothing. However the Wage Earner will be able to earn more at the standrad rate!!

AFAIK Parents with young kids do not stay in bed until 11am!!

AFAIK Parents with young kids do not stay in bed until 11am!!

Your right they don't but they could if they so wanted to.. you know what I mean..

Your right they don't but they could if they so wanted to.. you know what I mean..
    ??????????????????????

??????????????????????

forget it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi Justin.

Just wondering how many first preference votes do you think you'd need in the election to get elected. Obviously that's your aim but let's say you don't make it, do you intend to continue in politics or is this a one-time deal? In my personal opinion, I think it's very unlikely that you will be in the shake-up for the last seat so that's why I'm asking. Would you consider running in the next local elections, for example, to build your political profile?

Thanks.

I have 2 kids, 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 so I am keenly aware of this problem. While there are lots of things that could be done, here are two, one at a national level and the second at a local level.

- Reintroduce tax breaks for children and/or childcare costs. Simple, obvious, not sure why more is not made of this. I'd be keen to see this changed.

- Use schools for after school care. I know that one of the problems is that school finishes long before work does for most people. I'd like to look at using schools for after school care. Different people can do it, just use the same building.

This is an interesting one. This measure was brought in to encourage mainly women back into the workforce. Its a hangover from the celtic tiger days of over employment. It goes to the heart of the type of society we would like to create. Economically speaking, if you have 50% of the workforce not working, and you encourage them to do so, this is an economic good which benefits all society. But from a social point of view surely we would like our children to be raised by our family (mothers or fathers), certainly I would. So when it comes to family supports I think in these changed times, more can be done. However, where someone is fit and able to work, and does not have a family I think it is right that the tax code encourages them to work. (thats a more complicated answer than I like in a forum like this, in short, I sort of agree with you, but think the incentive to work should always be there)

With reagrds to point 2. If a household was not forced into sending both parents out to work, but could instead have one parent give up work and rare their childern (with almost the same take home pay) - surley this would create extra jobs by having lots of people vacate the workplace in favour of raring their children, looking after eldery relatives etc.

From what I have said above you will see I agree with this statement. We should not sacrifice the closeness of the family for perceived economic gain. In any case I believe it is a false gain as strong families create strong societies with less issues such as crime etc.
    Sully wrote: »
    A few questions for you Justin... :)

Firstly, are you planning on canvassing much in the remaining weeks? I just spotted one of your leaflets come in the door by a Leaflet Delivery Company and was wondering were you going to canvass much?

This is my life for the next 2 weeks. I was in Superquinn in Waterford and City Square on Saturday and Tramore on Sunday. I'll be out every day for the next too weeks. But team Collery does not have the people power and resources of the big boys so I do rely heavily on word of mouth, social media, traditional media and forums like this to get my message out there.
    Secondly, if you were elected much like the current shower of Independents - would you sit back and hold the country to ransom just like they did? The people clearly wanted change, they clearly wanted Fianna Fail out and the Independents who often canvass along the same lines as you do - they held the government up.

The Jackie Healy-Rae's of this world disgust me. I am a very different person than they. A point I would like to make strongly is that Waterford only gets to send 4 people to the Dail, so lets make it 4 of the best. Sending a JHR type independent to the Dail will do Waterford no favours. We need people who can represent Waterford with credibility on a national and international stage. I've sold software that was written in Waterford all over the world. I've sold antenna manufactured in Waterford all over the world. Now we need to sell Waterford all over the world. Thats what I want to do. I would also make the point that I am the only true independent in the field, the other independents are independent FG or independent WP etc. We need business people, not politicians in the Dial and those people need to be fighting for Ireland, not just their constituency. We need a new level of maturity in Irish politics, I'm doing my part by standing for election, I now need the electorate help me help them.
    Thirdly, you seem to think we are doomed if Fine Gael, Labour or any other party gets re-elected and into Government. So you must feel our choices are poor, and they will all carry on the same way Fianna Fail have done. Its a shame, because none of the other parties were in government for a very long time so it seems a tad unfair to brandish them all as "essentially the same"

I could list many reasons why, here are just 2.

The most disastrous decision taken in this state, the one decision which has doomed this country has been the introduction of the bank guarantee (*wait for it*) *WITHOUT* shortly afterwards introducing a banking resolution scheme, a way for banks to go bust that protected the depositors and tax payers. That decision had the potential, and currently is in the process of destroying the country. It was the equivalent of sending the country into a war of folly. If FG were truly different, if they really knew what they were at, they would have been shouting from the roof tops, banging on doors, saying we need a bank resolution scheme. They would have proposed one themselves. They did nothing. Actions speak louder than words, lack of actions speak pretty loudly to me too.

Second reason. The budget. If FG have so may plans ready to go, why did they allow the budget to pass? If they were so keen to get into power to make a difference, why would they facilitate the passing of the budget. FF had no authority to rule by the time the budget came. The only conclusion I could draw from FG's actions was that they were more interested in power than making a difference.

Lastly I would remind you about the by-election here in Waterford. It took SF to push the issue! There is too much of a cosy cartel between the political parties. They are difference shades of the same colour.
    Fourthly, for someone who wants to deliver and bring so much change and felt so unhappy with the government and the opposition - why did you declare so late? Where were you until now? Why not throw your hat into the ring for the by-election? Or when the GE looked to be called in January or even when it did?

By-Election, what by-election :) I've been busy raising a family and running a business, neither of which are part time jobs! But we are in a crisis, the time to stand and be counted is now. If there was another truly independent candidate, I would have put as much effort into their campaign as I am putting into mine. But no other candidate declared, and I felt something needed to be done.
    Finally, when you decided you were going to run - who did you speak with before running (outside of your immediate family) to get an idea if it was worthy to run or not?

In the political sphere I talked and emailed with David McWilliams, Paul Sommerville and Stephen Donnelly. It was important to me that this was not a one shot wonder, that it was a new way in Irish politics, not tainted by the old. I was disappointed that McWilliams, Dunphy etc did not run (I'm not too critical of McWilliams, I don't think he ever said he would or wanted too) but I felt that the likes of Sommerville were being left out to dry. I felt that if there was not a critical mass of TD's around those people it would be very difficult for them to bring about change.
    As to whether it was worthy or not, I believe that's a personal decision, and I do believe this is a worthy cause. I'm in this because I believe the country is in a crisis, that the main parties do not have the right solutions, and that the consequences will be disastrous, what more worthy cause is there than that?
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hi Justin.

Just wondering how many first preference votes do you think you'd need in the election to get elected. Obviously that's your aim but let's say you don't make it, do you intend to continue in politics or is this a one-time deal? In my personal opinion, I think it's very unlikely that you will be in the shake-up for the last seat so that's why I'm asking. Would you consider running in the next local elections, for example, to build your political profile?

Thanks.

My ambition is to top the poll. Would you prefer to have someone represent you who's ambition it was to scrape home in fourth place, or to come out on top? We need winners. I have already sold software made in Waterford across the world, I have sold antenna manufactured in Waterford across the world in a private capacity and am now prepared to do what needs to be done in a public capacity. We have a real opportunity to move Waterford, and Ireland into the 21st century and I am asking the people of Waterford to play their part. Look through the candidates on your ballot paper and ask yourself, when the likes of the EU, the IMF, other TD's such as Paul Sommerville etc. are making the real decisions, who are they likely to have most respect for, who is liekly to get the best deal? Ask yourself that question for all the candidates on the paper, and I hope you will agree we need people who have walked the walk in business representing us, both in Ireland, and across the world. For those reasons I believe I should top of the poll and I am working very hard towards that.

Thanks,

It's my birthday today, so no hard questions! :P

JC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

If we had our own currency it would be about the size of the devaluation we would make. I'm suggesting an internal devaluation (it will happen whether we like it or not, better to be in control rather than be pushed) and that is why I pick that number.

I could not agree more, but no other party are saying this! It's election time and every party wants to make promises and spend more money. They have completely lost sight of the fact that it's all about costs. The government needs to do its part in bringing down costs and the jobs will follow. Sometimes I think before we have a smart economy we need some smart politicians!

I was on the first Hothouse program back in 2002. It was run in conjunction with the DIT in Dublin. We got office space on the North Wall in Dublin. It was open plan, but we all had our own office space. It was a wonderful environment to work in, really exciting. It was an excellent program and I know that at least 25% of those involved are still self employed and employing others, exactly the type of result we need to encourage.

I cannot think of a single part of the tax code that would not benefit from simplification. As an example the 2010 guide to corporation tax runs to many hundreds of pages. Every extra line of text can be interpreted, mis-interpreted, argued, etc. We need to be fastidious about every aspect of government, especially the tax code to make it as transparent and easy to understand as possible. As another example, my mother contacted citizens advice to find out about her pension entitlements. The system was so convoluted it essentially came down to a judgement call, the rules were so complicated they were actually meaningless. A simpler system will be cheaper to administer and better able to cope for peoples needs (less administration = more money for services).

Thanks again for the questions. Can I just add my thanks to the people of City Square, Quinnsworth and Tramore who I have been meeting over the last couple of days. I've been bowled over with the response, and really heartened that we are on the verge of doing something great here in Waterford.

Thanks again,
    Justin

Appreciate the detailed reply

Just one other thing, what is your position in relation to a reflective representative Dail and gender parity or more so gender quotas within the Oireachtas?

And another one do you favour the abolition of the Seand or would you be in favour of Seand reform?

Oh and do you feel that prisons in Ireland meet a high enough standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

My ambition is to top the poll. Would you prefer to have someone represent you who's ambition it was to scrape home in fourth place, or to come out on top? We need winners. I have already sold software made in Waterford across the world, I have sold antenna manufactured in Waterford across the world in a private capacity and am now prepared to do what needs to be done in a public capacity. We have a real opportunity to move Waterford, and Ireland into the 21st century and I am asking the people of Waterford to play their part. Look through the candidates on your ballot paper and ask yourself, when the likes of the EU, the IMF, other TD's such as Paul Sommerville etc. are making the real decisions, who are they likely to have most respect for, who is liekly to get the best deal? Ask yourself that question for all the candidates on the paper, and I hope you will agree we need people who have walked the walk in business representing us, both in Ireland, and across the world. For those reasons I believe I should top of the poll and I am working very hard towards that.

With respect, you managed to not answer either of my two questions in all that text - you're taking to this politician thing pretty well!!!

So, again, how many first preference votes so you think you'd need to get elected. And if you're not elected this time out, will you continue in public life and run for election again or leave it at that?

Happy Birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hi Justin,

Firstly, best of luck with the campaign. A few questions.

1) What is your view on Fine Gael's date-based mortgage interest relief? Is it fair to offer relief for those who bought between 2004-2008 - Or do you think it would be fairer to assess buyers based on their ability to pay?

2) I'm obligated as an Irish language activist to ask you if you support the Irish language remaining as a core subject for the leaving cert, which is currently constitutionally protected as our first language? Or are you in favour of Fine Gael's proposals to drop it as a core subject?

3) Which bonds should be burnt (if any?) - And do you agree or disagree with defaulting on non-sovereign debt?

4) Do you ever purchase Fair-Trade goods?

5) Do you support mandated health insurance, or a reform of the HSE with wastage and overlap made more efficient, with universal access to healthcare? (Or Other, please specify)

Sorry if some of these questions have been asked.

Appreciate the detailed reply

Just one other thing, what is your position in relation to a reflective representative Dail and gender parity or more so gender quotas within the Oireachtas?

I don't believe in gender quota's. I don't believe that candidates should make an issue of what sex they are (and some are!). The best person should get the job, regardless of sex. It's time to move into the 21st century where it's your ability that counts.
    And another one do you favour the abolition of the Seand or would you be in favour of Seand reform?

The Seanad clearly isn't performing any useful roll presently. I would be slow to completely abolish it though. I think there are many useful purposes it could serve, such as scrutinising political appointees etc.
    Oh and do you feel that prisons in Ireland meet a high enough standard?

As the country is rapidly running out of money, I'd prefer to spend my money on education and hospitals than new prisons.
    With respect, you managed to not answer either of my two questions in all that text - you're taking to this politician thing pretty well!!!

:) Jeasus, I'll try again.
    So, again, how many first preference votes so you think you'd need to get elected. And if you're not elected this time out, will you continue in public life and run for election again or leave it at that?

Happy Birthday.

It would seem about 5.5k+ first preferences are required. I should be reasonably transfer friendly. With the demolishing of the FF vote, and Martin Cullen not running I see that as an attainable number.

If I do not get elected I have already said to some of the other independent candidates that I would be happy to assist their programs after their election. I will continue to try and fix what I see as broken, how public that will be I am not sure. There is lots that each of us can do to make a difference and I am ready and willing to play my part.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Hi Justin,

Firstly, best of luck with the campaign.

Thanks, it's going very well.
    1) What is your view on Fine Gael's date-based mortgage interest relief? Is it fair to offer relief for those who bought between 2004-2008 - Or do you think it would be fairer to assess buyers based on their ability to pay?

I think that it is tinkering with the problem. Interest rates will surely rise over the coming years. Why continue to put someone through the mill. Tackle the problem head on! Allow the person to default on the loan. Allow them to get back on their feet in 2 years or less. Put in place a mechanism whereby if it is a modest house they can continue to live in it (the council will have to put them up anyway, why not in the same house). Our politicians seem to have a fixation with interest rates when the reality is that it's the principle that is the real problem. Until you define the problem correctly you will never get to the correct solution.
    2) I'm obligated as an Irish language activist to ask you if you support the Irish language remaining as a core subject for the leaving cert, which is currently constitutionally protected as our first language? Or are you in favour of Fine Gael's proposals to drop it as a core subject?

I'm not a fluent Irish speaker. I was never great at languages, always much better at the maths and technical subjects. This does not make me any less Irish or proud to be so. I think Irish should be an optional subject. I also believe thats its standing will increase by doing so, and those that learn it will actually love the language.
    3) Which bonds should be burnt (if any?) - And do you agree or disagree with defaulting on non-sovereign debt?

I'm advocating defaulting on non-sovereign debt. I'm saying it is going to happen anyway, so lets do it now in an orderly fashion rather than 3 years in a more chaotic fashion. I'd rather burn bond holders than bus drivers. Our government should be representing us, not the bond holders. If we do not do this now our country will turn into a wasteland as jobs are lost, businesses close and people emigrate. It's my central reason for running, thats how strongly I feel about it.
    4) Do you ever purchase Fair-Trade goods?

Like everybody else I am on a budget these days more than a couple of years ago. I buy Irish first, then organic.

To address the question directly, I strongly believe that the solution to 3rd world poverty is trade, not aid. Trade between nations is mutually beneficial.
    5) Do you support mandated health insurance, or a reform of the HSE with wastage and overlap made more efficient, with universal access to healthcare? (Or Other, please specify)

I am supportive of universal health care. Every citizen should be entitled to basic health care. I believe that private health care has a role to play in this. I believe that the money should follow the patient. I believe effecient hospitals should be rewarded. I am worried that FG plans for mandatory health insurance are actually another way of saying another tax. We keep paying the same tax as before (which used to pay for our health) and now we are paying an extra tax called mandatory health insurance. I'll be keeping a very close eye on that.

Thanks again for all the questions, keep them coming. As always, if you feel I have not answered your questions properly, just let me know.

Thanks and regards,
    Justin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Hi Justin,
    Firstly I wanted to say how great an idea I think this thread is, and appreciate that you have addressed many questions directly here. I have two more for you:

1. As you've said, you are running a business and raising a young family. Both of which are a full time job. Will this affect your ability to commit your time and effort fully to your new post if you are elected? Personally I feel that if a TD were to maintain the level of work and constituency communication for the duration of their term as they do during canvassing they would go a long way.

2. If you were to get elected and ended up in opposition, would you be more active than opposition governments we've seen in the past? I would like to see opposition TD's sticking it to the government when they dont agree with them, nit just in the Dail but getting out there and protesting with the people and really force the government to defend their desicions, to the public, in a real context, not just debate in the dail.

Best of luck with your campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

My question is you declared pretty late,
    In the space of the two weeks ,how did you arrange funding so quickly and have you a sizeable budget for the ongoing campaign ...

Hi Justin,
    Firstly I wanted to say how great an idea I think this thread is, and appreciate that you have addressed many questions directly here. I have two more for you:

1. As you've said, you are running a business and raising a young family. Both of which are a full time job. Will this affect your ability to commit your time and effort fully to your new post if you are elected? Personally I feel that if a TD were to maintain the level of work and constituency communication for the duration of their term as they do during canvassing they would go a long way.

Thanks!

These two questions are great points. First on the business and family commitments. On the business side, if I get elected I will obviously have to hire someone to run my business for me. I've done it before and I have no problem in doing it again. From a family point of view, I obviously talked this over with my wife before I decided to run and she was very supportive.
    2. If you were to get elected and ended up in opposition, would you be more active than opposition governments we've seen in the past? I would like to see opposition TD's sticking it to the government when they dont agree with them, nit just in the Dail but getting out there and protesting with the people and really force the government to defend their desicions, to the public, in a real context, not just debate in the dail.

Best of luck with your campaign

The last part of your first question and the second question talk very much about the change I want to make to politics in Ireland (as opposed to my economic agenda). George Lee did independents a great disservice be leaving the Dáil. If I am in opposition, I will shout from the steps of the Dáil every Friday about what has happened that week, how much money has been squandered, how much time has been wasted and generally shine a bright light on what goes on up there. I'll do it on forums like this, I'll do it on facebook, twitter, local radio, anywhere that will listen. This election is not just a referendum on the government, but also on the opposition, and I blame them equally for the mess we are in.
    Hoffmans wrote: »
    My question is you declared pretty late,
    In the space of the two weeks ,how did you arrange funding so quickly and have you a sizeable budget for the ongoing campaign ...

I am completely self funded. I'm using my life savings. I am literally putting my money where my mouth is, I feel that strongly about this issues I am fighting for. I don't have the money to put as many posters on poles as the big players, but I will be able to get my message out to every house in the city and county, and I would ask people to read the literature and make an informed decision.

Thanks again for all the excellent questions,
    JC

You've got my #1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

fair play,
    i wonder how many on the main party candidates would actually be running if they had to fund their campaigns under their own steam...
    good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thanks for the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Hi Justin i just have a question in relation to education .

At present there is a cap on the hiring of special needs assistants in the country for all schools .There is a very small pool of snas available for the year commencing September 2011 and there are many kids that need a sna that will enter the school system without ,

With increasing class sizes and lack of snas to help with children with extra needs all kids will suffer in the long run as the teacher will have to spend more time on other issues other than teaching . It seems the policy's of the present government and FG is to let education and our children suffer for past mistakes .

What is your feelings on this and what would you do to help in this area if elected .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

hi Justin

Do you have any thoughts on the cuts in social welfare for persons aged between 18 - 25 from what I can gather there are 2200 on the live register at the monment

I know there will have to be cuts but I think singeling out a certain age group is wrong they have to be more equal
    Given the rise in crime in the city ie handbag snatching/ muggings /elderly being attacked in their homes (im not saying this age group commited these crimes) but maybe this has to be factored in
    I think this going to become a major issue in the coming years

Is any body in your team versed in our CONSTITUTION or THE LISBON TREATY who would know if there is some kind of protection against this measure

So 2200 + both parents voting = 6600 votes for someone willing to fight for them (not counting extended family friends ect that they could help sway) just a thought

Thank you for taking the time to answer peoples questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Hi Justin, was nice to meet you at the WIT Debate and good to see that you seem to be serious about your campaign, unlike some of the other Independents who seem to be there for novelty.

From your communications on here and through your literature, you appear to be a bit politically naive, delusional perhaps. I believe you have made a cardinal sin by making "promises" to the people of Waterford. For someone who wants to distance themselves from traditional party tricks, I think it's a bit rich for you to criticise the policies of other parties while making promises that will be impossible to keep yourself. You make it sound so easy to just abolish NAMA, get university status for Waterford and to adopt a private-sector approach to the public-sector. You seem to be somewhat ignorant of interests of the various stakeholders, unions of which are one example and they will never bow down to make the likes of your promises realistic.

I think your political naivety really comes to the fore in your belief that you'll top the poll. I'm all for optimism and ambition but I think a degree of realism and pragmatism would serve you better. I know that you're putting in a lot of hard work but so are all the other candidates. I'm sure you're getting a positive response at the doors but so is everyone else. Most people aren't rude. Most people are polite and supportive. However, it's far too easy (have been there myself) to get caught up in the positive responses at the door but you'll find that if everyone who said they'll support you actually ended up supporting you, you'd be thinking you are on course for getting 3 quotas! The reality is much different.

Deise Tom asked earlier in the General Election thread who you were and questioned whether you could walk the walk. I'm afraid to say that I'm having the same questions myself. While I have no doubt that we do need more people from the business sectors involved in political process, I have to say that you're coming across more and more like a delusional visionary than a realistic option. This is a view that was only re-enforced by your alignment with Mary Roche, a representative who is widely regarded as a fruit cake and whose last headlining story was to cover Waterford City with a roof. I personally think that it's downright irresponsible that the Mayor of Waterford City, whose sole job it is to promote the interests of the City, endorses, in her capacity of Mayor, a candidate from outside the City with absolutely no political experience. Had she spoke as an Independent Councillor then I would have no problem with it.

I apologise if this post comes across as awfully negative but at the same time I think it's somewhat realistic. I wish you the very best in your campaign and I'll re-iterate that I think it's great to see ambitious people with a business background getting involved in the political process but with all due respect, I just believe that person should be more realistic in their approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Some. Harsh words there ,
    Seeing most evenings there's a 20min traffic Jam there,
    What's your opinion on the main artery of waterford city the quays being reduced to 1. Lane each way for normal traffic, to force cars over the new toll bridge ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement