Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE11 - Ask the Candidate - Justin Collery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

alibab wrote: »
    Hi Justin i just have a question in relation to education .

At present there is a cap on the hiring of special needs assistants in the country for all schools .There is a very small pool of snas available for the year commencing September 2011 and there are many kids that need a sna that will enter the school system without ,

With increasing class sizes and lack of snas to help with children with extra needs all kids will suffer in the long run as the teacher will have to spend more time on other issues other than teaching . It seems the policy's of the present government and FG is to let education and our children suffer for past mistakes .

What is your feelings on this and what would you do to help in this area if elected .

During the 80's this country had to prioritise education over roads. Roads were left to waste to keep our schools up to standard. We will have to make those self same choices again, and I believe that education should be supported. The points you make are valid points and I agree with them. I'll have to go back to my central point though. FG have said they will spend €50bn more on Anglo, and then no more. How many SNA's would we get for €50bn? If we are to address issues such as you have raised, and prioritise education we need to cut the banks loose, and fast!
    enno99 wrote: »
    hi Justin

Do you have any thoughts on the cuts in social welfare for persons aged between 18 - 25 from what I can gather there are 2200 on the live register at the monment

I know there will have to be cuts but I think singeling out a certain age group is wrong they have to be more equal
    Given the rise in crime in the city ie handbag snatching/ muggings /elderly being attacked in their homes (im not saying this age group commited these crimes) but maybe this has to be factored in
    I think this going to become a major issue in the coming years

Is any body in your team versed in our CONSTITUTION or THE LISBON TREATY who would know if there is some kind of protection against this measure

So 2200 + both parents voting = 6600 votes for someone willing to fight for them (not counting extended family friends ect that they could help sway) just a thought

Thank you for taking the time to answer peoples questions

Thanks enno99. There are laws against ageism, but I am not sure if they apply here. I am keenly aware of the hardship people are going through, and the next 5 years are going to be bad years to be poor as the supports will not be there. I think if any party says that they will not increase taxes or reduce supports they are lying. I think that the government needs to do its part in supporting these people, and at the same time jobs, by reducing the cost of everything under its control. If your income drops by 10% that’s bad, but at least if the price of everything else drops by 10% your standard of living should not be affected. If you think this is over simplistic I would advise you to check out the inflation figures for the last 18 months or so. While there has been general deflation, government controlled costs have consistently risen, this needs to be reversed.
    AdMMM wrote: »
    Hi Justin, was nice to meet you at the WIT Debate and good to see that you seem to be serious about your campaign, unlike some of the other Independents who seem to be there for novelty.

From your communications on here and through your literature, you appear to be a bit politically naive, delusional perhaps. I believe you have made a cardinal sin by making "promises" to the people of Waterford. For someone who wants to distance themselves from traditional party tricks, I think it's a bit rich for you to criticise the policies of other parties while making promises that will be impossible to keep yourself. You make it sound so easy to just abolish NAMA, get university status for Waterford and to adopt a private-sector approach to the public-sector. You seem to be somewhat ignorant of interests of the various stakeholders, unions of which are one example and they will never bow down to make the likes of your promises realistic.

I think your political naivety really comes to the fore in your belief that you'll top the poll. I'm all for optimism and ambition but I think a degree of realism and pragmatism would serve you better. I know that you're putting in a lot of hard work but so are all the other candidates. I'm sure you're getting a positive response at the doors but so is everyone else. Most people aren't rude. Most people are polite and supportive. However, it's far too easy (have been there myself) to get caught up in the positive responses at the door but you'll find that if everyone who said they'll support you actually ended up supporting you, you'd be thinking you are on course for getting 3 quotas! The reality is much different.

If you aim for mediocrity that is what you will achieve. Realistically this constituency will have 1 x FF, 2 x FG and a another. I know that. But no winner ever goes out to finish second. We need leadership now more than ever before. A real leader pushes you to achieve things you thought were not possible. You don't do that by trying to come second. Privately of course I am a realist. I've been running my own businesses now for 10 years. You don't continue to be in business unless you are a realist. But you put your best foot forward. It's not naïvety, it's ambition.
    Deise Tom asked earlier in the General Election thread who you were and questioned whether you could walk the walk. I'm afraid to say that I'm having the same questions myself. While I have no doubt that we do need more people from the business sectors involved in political process, I have to say that you're coming across more and more like a delusional visionary than a realistic option. This is a view that was only re-enforced by your alignment with Mary Roche, a representative who is widely regarded as a fruit cake and whose last headlining story was to cover Waterford City with a roof. I personally think that it's downright irresponsible that the Mayor of Waterford City, whose sole job it is to promote the interests of the City, endorses, in her capacity of Mayor, a candidate from outside the City with absolutely no political experience. Had she spoke as an Independent Councillor then I would have no problem with it.

You'll see from my website that I say parish pump politics must go. Waterford TD's will be expected to represent the entire county, not just the city, and not everywhere but the city, the entire county. These are national elections, not local ones.

I've spent the last 11 years selling software that was made in Dungarvan, all across the world; selling antenna manufactured in Portlaw, all across the world. I have extensive experience 'walking the walk' for Waterford products. Getting a door bell fixed is not going to impress the IMF. If you have listened to any of my interviews on WLR I can talk the talk, and walk the walk. You don't last 10 years in business, through a dot com bust and then deep recession without having some skill and determination. That’s what I bring to the table. That and support for the likes of Paul Sommerville so that he has clout in his area of expertise. If you want to change the way things are done in this country, drag it into the 21st century I think you should vote for me. If you just want to change the sign on the door of government, there is plenty of choice.
    I apologise if this post comes across as awfully negative but at the same time I think it's somewhat realistic. I wish you the very best in your campaign and I'll re-iterate that I think it's great to see ambitious people with a business background getting involved in the political process but with all due respect, I just believe that person should be more realistic in their approach.

Not at all, I welcome all comments. I would not have opened a public thread otherwise. When it comes to walking the walk, you may ask yourself how many other candidates have committed to answering your questions so directly and publicly. I'm happy to be held to account. I am every day in business.

Thanks again for all the questions, keep them coming.

Thanks and regards,
    Justin

DjBryn wrote: »
    Some. Harsh words there ,
    Seeing most evenings there's a 20min traffic Jam there,
    What's your opinion on the main artery of waterford city the quays being reduced to 1. Lane each way for normal traffic, to force cars over the new toll bridge ...

Yip!

Doesn't seem right to me, but I stress - this is a national election. Traffic measures are a local issue best dealt with by local politicians.

Thanks,
    JC

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Hi Justin,

Why should Waterford vote for a candidate who has little interest in local issues? I know you answered your reasons why you’re running, in the national interest you say; but my question is why Waterford should elect you above somebody saying they will be a voice for Waterford in the Dáil?

We have only 4 seats and as we all know Parish politics is how the Government is effectively run, maybe not to the extremes Healy Rae takes it but the reality is if Cullen wasn’t Minister for Transport we would be still driving over rail tracks in Newrath on the Dublin Road.

I feel we would waste a seat if your only interest is National, Don’t get me wrong I love my Country as much as the next guy but why should say Cork or Galway have 5 or 6 guys shouting up there County and we have 3 while your waving the Tri Colour on the steps?

I think you should wait for the European Elections and maybe make changes using that platform because this Asylum will remain the same as always with Fine Gael leading the Country as they waited long enough to get the power.

We need 4 Politician’s with Waterford stamped on their brain; if change is going to happen in how things are run in Dáil Éireann I’m sorry but a few Independents won’t be enough to start that change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I have not read all what is said here so forgive me if this is asked already.

What makes you different to the other 14 standing for election in Waterford and why should we vote for you ahead of them. As an independent, and if you were elected would you be another Jackie healy Rae or Michael lowry

Funfair wrote: »
    Hi Justin,

Why should Waterford vote for a candidate who has little interest in local issues? I know you answered your reasons why you’re running, in the national interest you say; but my question is why Waterford should elect you above somebody saying they will be a voice for Waterford in the Dáil?

We have only 4 seats and as we all know Parish politics is how the Government is effectively run, maybe not to the extremes Healy Rae takes it but the reality is if Cullen wasn’t Minister for Transport we would be still driving over rail tracks in Newrath on the Dublin Road.

I feel we would waste a seat if your only interest is National, Don’t get me wrong I love my Country as much as the next guy but why should say Cork or Galway have 5 or 6 guys shouting up there County and we have 3 while your waving the Tri Colour on the steps?

I think you should wait for the European Elections and maybe make changes using that platform because this Asylum will remain the same as always with Fine Gael leading the Country as they waited long enough to get the power.

We need 4 Politician’s with Waterford stamped on their brain; if change is going to happen in how things are run in Dáil Éireann I’m sorry but a few Independents won’t be enough to start that change.

This is a great question because it talks to how we need to bring politics into the 21st century, leave tribal politics behind etc.

Firstly I'm a little hurt that you feel I do not have Waterford interests at heart. This is where my children were born and go to school. This is where I have built my house and setup my business. I have as much an interest in Waterford as anybody else.

When you say you are voting for someone so that they will do the best for Waterford you must consider what you mean. I'll make an example. Genzyme was sold yesterday for €20bn. Any TD worth his salt should be on to the boss of Genzyme ensuring everything is okay, and asking if there is anything (s)he can do to get more jobs into the county. In the course of that conversation, matters such as the IMF and budget deficit will inevitably arise as they have a material impact in Genzymes business. The boss of Genzyme doesn't give a monkeys if you played intercounty hurling and won 4 All-Irelands. Hi doesn't care if you got more door bells fixed than the next guy. He cares that you can have an intelligent conversation with him/her about the problems we face, convince him we have a realistic plan to fix those problems and give him/her a warm fuzzy geeling everything will be okay. This gives Genzyme the confidence to invest in Waterford and generate more jobs here.
    Thats what fighting for Waterford is all about. Jackie Healy-Rae's will never deliver that, but I believe I can. This is a national election, and should be fought on national issues, but I hope that from the example above you will see that actually what is good for the country is also good for the county!
    Deise Tom wrote: »
    I have not read all what is said here so forgive me if this is asked already.

What makes you different to the other 14 standing for election in Waterford and why should we vote for you ahead of them. As an independent, and if you were elected would you be another Jackie healy Rae or Michael lowry

Hi Tom,

You will see from my answer above that I detest Jackie Healy-Rea. I think they do a great disservice to themselves, their county and their country. You can see my full agenda at www.justincollery.com, but I will give a very quick summary here.

- I am the only true independent, not independent FG or independent WP
    - I have a creditable plan (same as the likes of Paul Sommerville in Dublin SE) to resolve the banking crisis, NAMA etc.
    - I believe that politic reform is needed, but that once in power the new parties will not follow through with that reform unless people like me are there to force it
    - This election is the most important election in 80 years. The policies we are following have resulted in the EU/IMF running our finances and will result in default in the term of the next government. But default only after jobs have been lost, services decimated and people have emigrated. I am advocating an orderly default now, lets face up to our problems and deal with them, lets not keep our heads in the sand.

If you need more info, just let me know.

Thanks again for all the excellent questions, keep them coming.

Thanks,
    JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Hey Justin what is your opinion on the Work Placement scheme offered by FAS for graduates and what reforms, if any, would you push for?

I personally think this area should be top of the agenda for an overhaul, it's a brilliant idea but completely flawed in it's execution. I haven't experienced it personally but I know far too many people, both family and friends, who have complained about how it is setup and how they feel exploited. Very few people have the means to go and work for free using this scheme, so the only viable option is to sit on the register for 3 months so they are eligible to keep their money while they try and gain experience in an area they have trained in already at a great expense. If the 3 month timeframe was removed it would encourage people to try the placement scheme and potentially take them off of the register earlier then the current setup. Also from my understanding there is no real incentive for the employer to take on the person outside of a PRSI exemption. What I really mean by that is no counterweight to stop them abusing graduates who are desperately seeking a job currently exists. As it stands they can let the person go at any time (or not keep them on) and simply hire someone else on the WPP scheme i.e. nothing stopping them effectively abusing the system for free work.

- I believe that politic reform is needed, but that once in power the new parties will not follow through with that reform unless people like me are there to force it

What is your idea of political reform. Would it be to get rid of the Seanad, or maybe reduce its numbers. Maybe it would be to keep it with smaller numbers sitting, or maybe it would be to allow all over the age of 18 have the choice to vote who they want in there. Maybe one from each constituency, and not allowing a select few have the right to say who sits there.

How would you reform the Dail. Would you have more sittings there each year, get rid of the privilage days, maybe it is to reduce the numbers which might be no harm and maybe it might be to make the expenses thing more accountable. Would you be in favour of something like what Michael Martin is purposing where the best people are brought in to fill positions around the cabinet table and not maybe - with no disrespect to them a teacher as the minister for health and a solicitor or barrister as the minister for Finanace or Foreign Affairs etc.

would your idea of political reform extend to a more local level, ie into the constituencies. Take Waterford as an example. We have FIVE councils in Waterford. 15 Councillors in the city (3 Wards), 23 County Councillors (4 electorate areas) three town councils, Dungarvan, Tramore and Lismore, each with nine councillors, some of whom are also county councillors. Do you think these numbers should be cut, and maybe have one council who would work together for the good of Waterford as a whole and not work for their own patch as we have seen in the past - wasnt there a lot of bickering between city and county when it came to the units on the outer ring road in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Hi Justin, A Couple of Questions

1) Where do you stand in relation to the National Pension framework plan which proposes to reduces tax relief to 20% by 2014.

2) Where do you stand in relation to the budget recommendation (not yet implemented) to remove Section 23 allowences from investors in these properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Hi justin

Just a couple of things about reducing wages and the cost of living.
    If both of these come down all well and good but we still have big mortgages to pay for, you said that you would like people to be able to go bankrupt quickly (12-24 months) and if this happens you have some scheme where you buy back your house from the council.
    I for one dont want to go bankrupt and then go through all the stress of not knowing if i,m going to be able to keep my house or not, which i think may happen if wages are reduced.
    Do you really think local councils are going to take a house off someone where there is still €250,000 owed to the bank and sell it back to the same person for lets say €140,000.
    Is this the scenario facing thousands of people if your policies are implemented, where is the local councils going to get the money to effectively bail out all these home owners?

What are your views on the closing of Post Offices in Ballyduff Upper and Clashmore as reported in this weeks Dungarvan Papers. Another kick in the teeth to people in Rural Ireland, following on from other closures in the last 30-40 years such as creameries, small rural schools, Garda Stations, pubs, shops etc.

Are you in favour of retaining the Deise Link Service and its equivalent in other counties whereby it allows people in rural areas and who may not have transport to get to Towns such as Dungarvan, Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel. I have heard it could be for the axe. Maybe it might be possible to retain the service with slight changes made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Justin, I will be voting for you. I was delighted to see you stress you are working with the country in mind, i think most people are 'getting' this now. If elected I expect you to work for national issues but also to work for Waterford on issues such as jobs, infrastructure etc.

Heres my wish list:
    1. get rid of seanad
    2. slim down the dail numbers (50%)
    3. Cut public sector spending drastically
    4. More business people/specialists (less TDs) into positions where they can make changes in the running of the country
    5. TDs should not concerned with local issues
    6. get rid of TV licence
    7. ban those stupid posters that each candiadate puts up on street lights
    8. Equal and fair treatment for the south east region in terms of education access and jobs
    9. Half top public sector wages
    10. One pension per TD not multiple pensions for each position they held
    11. TDs to be paid pension at 65, like the rest of us.
    12. Get rid of the quangos
    13. FAS needs drastic reform, its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

witless1 wrote: »
    Hey Justin what is your opinion on the Work Placement scheme offered by FAS for graduates and what reforms, if any, would you push for?

I personally think this area should be top of the agenda for an overhaul, it's a brilliant idea but completely flawed in it's execution. I haven't experienced it personally but I know far too many people, both family and friends, who have complained about how it is setup and how they feel exploited. Very few people have the means to go and work for free using this scheme, so the only viable option is to sit on the register for 3 months so they are eligible to keep their money while they try and gain experience in an area they have trained in already at a great expense. If the 3 month timeframe was removed it would encourage people to try the placement scheme and potentially take them off of the register earlier then the current setup. Also from my understanding there is no real incentive for the employer to take on the person outside of a PRSI exemption. What I really mean by that is no counterweight to stop them abusing graduates who are desperately seeking a job currently exists. As it stands they can let the person go at any time (or not keep them on) and simply hire someone else on the WPP scheme i.e. nothing stopping them effectively abusing the system for free work.

+1. I am doing one at the moment, and would be very interested in hearing your opinion on the scheme considering you are an employer yourself. P.S - Fair play for taking the time to answer questions on here :).

Max Powers wrote: »

Why was of i the opinion that the pension is given at 66 and that most work their stamps for the last year and a bit before reaching that milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Hi Justin

I have been impressed with you so far i must say, I reckon you could be the only candidate Ive come across that has an actual business background as opposed to a family tradition of politics in alot of cases.

Anyway moving on I was was wondering when you say default on our debt what does this involve? It sounds great saying we just wont pay all the money the banks owe but what are the consequences of this?

Are you proposing to let the banks go under?

jayboi wrote: »
    Anyway moving on I was was wondering when you say default on our debt what does this involve? It sounds great saying we just wont pay all the money the banks owe but what are the consequences of this?

If Ireland was to Default on payments as some are suggesting we do, would it mean that if the country was in need of money in the future would there be a chance that we would not get it from Europe as we did not pay what we already owe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think Justin is referring to a default on non-sovereign debt. If we do not do this, all economic commentators are proposing a default on sovereign debt later down the line.

Hi All,

Didn't get a chance to answer the questions yesterday so we have quite a number today. This is quite a busy time as you might imagine. Here we go!
    witless1 wrote: »

I do not have direct experience of this scheme but was involved in a similar scheme years ago. In that scheme we drew up the training course which was executed by FAS and then we interviewed each of the participants. From that scheme, one of the finest IT managers I have met got his first start. He is now an IT manager in a large multinational. The schemes if set out and run properly do work. But how we could have spent billions on FAS at a time of full employment is a disgrace. There was clearly no management or accountability from the top down. Given the waste in FAS, with proper management I am sure the money could be found to remove the 3 month requirement.
    What is your idea of political reform. Would it be to get rid of the Seanad, or maybe reduce its numbers. Maybe it would be to keep it with smaller numbers sitting, or maybe it would be to allow all over the age of 18 have the choice to vote who they want in there. Maybe one from each constituency, and not allowing a select few have the right to say who sits there.

How would you reform the Dail. Would you have more sittings there each year, get rid of the privilage days, maybe it is to reduce the numbers which might be no harm and maybe it might be to make the expenses thing more accountable. Would you be in favour of something like what Michael Martin is purposing where the best people are brought in to fill positions around the cabinet table and not maybe - with no disrespect to them a teacher as the minister for health and a solicitor or barrister as the minister for Finanace or Foreign Affairs etc.

would your idea of political reform extend to a more local level, ie into the constituencies. Take Waterford as an example. We have FIVE councils in Waterford. 15 Councillors in the city (3 Wards), 23 County Councillors (4 electorate areas) three town councils, Dungarvan, Tramore and Lismore, each with nine councillors, some of whom are also county councillors. Do you think these numbers should be cut, and maybe have one council who would work together for the good of Waterford as a whole and not work for their own patch as we have seen in the past - wasnt there a lot of bickering between city and county when it came to the units on the outer ring road in Waterford.

You have hit on many of the points I would like to see addressed.

- Seanad. Does not service a useful role at the moment, but could be reformed. As an example, I would like to see all political appointments (quangos, boards of management etc) advertised, candidates interviewed and the best person getting the job. This is just one role the Seanad could fulfil. The quango issue for me is a big one. With close to 1,000 quangos, each with a board of about 15, thats 15,000 political appointments. That’s corruption. That’s why you need independents to change the system, as we do not have party machines to be oiled by political appointments.

- Dáil. Needs to work longer and harder. Those of us lucky enough to have a job get 21 days holidays a year, why should the Dáil be any different. Politicians have become institutionalised. Again, that’s why we need outsiders in the Dáil to force change.

- Ministers. I think ministers need to be divorced from constituencies. In fact, I would like to see a rule that says ministers cannot be, and can never have been TD's. We need our ministers to be professionals in the areas they are managing. We also need our ministers be making decision for the good of the country, not their re-election campaign.

- Local Government. I like the fact that we have local politicians we can contact to get things done. How many we need I question. France does quite well with each town having a mayor only. I also think there is hugh duplication of functions at local level. City’s in the UK have single water / planning / refuse sections that deal with populations the size of Ireland. I think councils need to be, and will be merged.
    thomasm wrote: »
    Hi Justin, A Couple of Questions

1) Where do you stand in relation to the National Pension framework plan which proposes to reduces tax relief to 20% by 2014.

2) Where do you stand in relation to the budget recommendation (not yet implemented) to remove Section 23 allowences from investors in these properties.

- I do not agree with it. Pensions plans are a deferment of tax, not an exemption. You do not pay tax on money as it goes into your pension, but you do on the way out, so you are paying tax one way or the other. I think people do not yet realise how much you need to save for a pension. It's massive, and we need to make every effort to encourage people to do so. I am also worried that nobody is asking what we are going to do now the NPRF is gone. The pensions still need to be paid, but will be paid out of day to day tax revenue which will surely lead to higher taxes both for me and my children.

- I am in favour of getting rid of all tax incentives for property. I'm also against NAMA. The market needs to find a floor. I do not think it fair that those in their 20's and 30's should pay over the odds for their houses, just because a developer lost some money.
    Hi justin

Just a couple of things about reducing wages and the cost of living.
    If both of these come down all well and good but we still have big mortgages to pay for, you said that you would like people to be able to go bankrupt quickly (12-24 months) and if this happens you have some scheme where you buy back your house from the council.
    I for one dont want to go bankrupt and then go through all the stress of not knowing if i,m going to be able to keep my house or not, which i think may happen if wages are reduced.
    Do you really think local councils are going to take a house off someone where there is still €250,000 owed to the bank and sell it back to the same person for lets say €140,000.
    Is this the scenario facing thousands of people if your policies are implemented, where is the local councils going to get the money to effectively bail out all these home owners?

I don't want it do be like this, but I am saying this will happen anyway. Lets accept the fact, lets put in place rules to protect those such as you describe and get on with it. High house prices are not a sign of wealth but rather a sign of debt. Prices for average houses and apartments in Berlin are in the €80k range. That’s a city at the heart of Europe. Why are we spending our money on houses, and not investing it in wealth creation. Where will the money come from? Well, we own the banks, and the banks own the property so while the ownership changes hands, money will not.
    What are your views on the closing of Post Offices in Ballyduff Upper and Clashmore as reported in this weeks Dungarvan Papers. Another kick in the teeth to people in Rural Ireland, following on from other closures in the last 30-40 years such as creameries, small rural schools, Garda Stations, pubs, shops etc.

Are you in favour of retaining the Deise Link Service and its equivalent in other counties whereby it allows people in rural areas and who may not have transport to get to Towns such as Dungarvan, Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel. I have heard it could be for the axe. Maybe it might be possible to retain the service with slight changes made.

Completely agree with all of the above. A strong sense of community is vitally important for social, crime as well as sound economic reasons.
    Justin, I will be voting for you. I was delighted to see you stress you are working with the country in mind, i think most people are 'getting' this now. If elected I expect you to work for national issues but also to work for Waterford on issues such as jobs, infrastructure etc.

Completely agree with that, thanks!

Heres my wish list:
    1. get rid of seanad
    In it's current form definitely. It may have a use, if not, I concur!
    2. slim down the dail numbers (50%)
    Agreed. Don't have a firm view on the exact number, but somewhere less than 100.
    3. Cut public sector spending drastically
    Absolutely, and I do not accept a drop in services provided. This happens all the time in the private sector, time do the same for the public sector.
    4. More business people/specialists (less TDs) into positions where they can make changes in the running of the country
    Abolutely agree.
    5. TDs should not concerned with local issues
    Absolutely agree.
    6. get rid of TV licence
    Another cost that needs to be tackled.
    7. ban those stupid posters that each candidate puts up on street lights
    :) I had not really thought about this, it's all part of the 'arms race' that is an election. On reflection I like the idea as it forces people to look more closely on the issues and stops people from winning by spending more on things like posters.
    8. Equal and fair treatment for the south east region in terms of education access and jobs
    Absolutely, and Jackie Healy-Rea type independents will not deliver on that score, you need business people to achieve this.
    9. Half top public sector wages
    Enable them, and make them accountable.
    10. One pension per TD not multiple pensions for each position they held
    Completely agree.
    Completely agree.
    12. Get rid of the quangos
    Completely agree (15,000 just on the boards alone! Thats corruption)
    13. FAS needs drastic reform, its a joke
    Agreed!
    Why was of i the opinion that the pension is given at 66 and that most work their stamps for the last year and a bit before reaching that milestone.

Nope. It's disguising. Cowen is not 66 but he will be sitting pretty with his €300k lump sum and €150,000/year pension.
    jayboi wrote: »

Yes. The banks must go bust. You structure in a way that protects the depositors. Remember our government should be looking out for us, not the bond holders. In Iceland the banks closed for about 20 minutes and then re-opened. It happens in America all the time. It happens there because they have a system in place to allow it to happen. We do not as of yet. One of my main problems with FG is that they were not shouting this from the roof tops. It was the one issue that could (and has) sink the country, if they really had a clue, they would have been pushing it. For depositors there is no implication, you just had your money in the bank and that is as it should be. As a bond holder it has major implications, but then, you are being paid a higher rate of interest to take a risk, so again, that is at it should be.
    If Ireland was to Default on payments as some are suggesting we do, would it mean that if the country was in need of money in the future would there be a chance that we would not get it from Europe as we did not pay what we already owe them.

I am talking about bank debt, not sovereign debt, that’s very important. Ireland as a country cannot borrow at the moment because of the bank debt. Get rid of the bank debt and the country’s ability to borrow will improve drastically.

Thanks again for all the questions, I had to answer a little quicker than I would like so hopfully I got all the messages over.

I have put a couple of videos on youtube, you can see them here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2y6RB5i-oU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM9eFVLFNj4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISBqVPy9ooE

Keep the questions coming!

Thanks,
    JC

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Justin, your election material states that we won't be seeing you on posters, that its not a beauty contest. You also seem to have agreed with an earlier poster who suggested they be banned.

However, I spotted a poster belonging to you out by the park today.

What changed? Seems even before you are elected, you are misleading the electorate here in Waterford.

Whats to say, if you are elected, you won't stick to your promises or statements?

It looks like Adam might be right in his assessment of your campaign.

Sully wrote: »
    Justin, your election material states that we won't be seeing you on posters, that its not a beauty contest. You also seem to have agreed with an earlier poster who suggested they be banned.

However, I spotted a poster belonging to you out by the park today.

What changed? Seems even before you are elected, you are misleading the electorate here in Waterford.

Whats to say, if you are elected, you won't stick to your promises or statements?

It looks like Adam might be right in his assessment of your campaign.

Just becuase I agree they should be banned doesn't remove me from reality. They do make a difference, thats why parties put them up. I think that not having them up would force people to concentrate on the real issues which is why I think it would be a positive thing.
    I have 15 posters to put up, they don't come cheap and I'm paying for them personally. Compare that number, even to the other independents and you will agree it's a very very small number. The likelyhood of the 77,000 voters in Waterford seeing 15 posters is pretty slim, thats why your unlikely to see my face on a pole. I'll stand by my literature. The fact that you saw it proves they make an impact, but I think this is a bit of a distraction from the important issues, lets stick to them.

Thanks,
    JC

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just becuase I agree they should be banned doesn't remove me from reality. They do make a difference, thats why parties put them up. I think that not having them up would force people to concentrate on the real issues which is why I think it would be a positive thing.
    I have 15 posters to put up, they don't come cheap and I'm paying for them personally. Compare that number, even to the other independents and you will agree it's a very very small number. The likelyhood of the 77,000 voters in Waterford seeing 15 posters is pretty slim, thats why your unlikely to see my face on a pole. I'll stand by my literature. The fact that you saw it proves they make an impact, but I think this is a bit of a distraction from the important issues, lets stick to them.

Thanks,
    JC

I disagree.

Independent candidate Joe Conway in Tramore doesn't believe in them. He, like many, think they are an eyesore. He said he won't be putting any up - never has either. So far, he hasn't. So far, Mr Conway hasn't mislead the public and has been up front and honest. Mr Conway has been involved in politics long before you, it was odd you declared so late and expect people to think you are the perfect candidate for the job. He was never part of another party either. An Independent candidate, who has so far done what was said on his material.

You on the other hand, have already mislead the public. You claimed it wasn't a beauty contest, and we wouldn't be seeing your face on any posters. I believed you, as I am sure many others did also. But, today, I spotted a poster from you up on a pole. ANOTHER new poster - as if we haven't enough. That is not only a complete contradiction but a complete unutter lie and your not even elected!

It is entirely misleading and false. You never said we may see a small few. You never said that we "might" not see you on posters. You said we would not see you on a poster. Full stop. Its there in black and white, as you say. But clearly, you are entering this beauty contest and have already lied to the public.

You always claim your not like other independents or parties. But you are, in a way. The public hate politicians who twist the truth, who lie to their face, promise the sun moon and stars and never get it. We want change. We are asking for change. You are here offering change but you have just proved you are exactly like the others. You are, what you say you are not, a politician.

Its a small issue. You might claim its a non issue. But its one small thing thats there in black and white. Whats to say that this little white lie won't turn into more big lies with a "Oh I didn't mean it in the literal sense..."

If you cant stick with your promises in relation to running, whats to say you won't stick to them when you are elected, assuming that happens?

Also, I asked earlier who did you speak with before running. You mentioned a few political people, but left out one candidate running in this election, apparently. I have had several people claim since I asked that question that you spoke with one particular election candidates before running. Maybe they are misleading me, who knows.

So, would you mind answering the question again and in the literal straight sense and not the backward way you put down about election posters. Just in case your previous answer didn't include everyone or you didn't understand what I meant. What election candidates here in Waterford did you seek advise before running and why?

• Advertisement

I disagree.

Independent candidate Joe Conway in Tramore doesn't believe in them. He, like many, think they are an eyesore. He said he won't be putting any up - never has either. So far, he hasn't. So far, Mr Conway hasn't mislead the public and has been up front and honest. Mr Conway has been involved in politics long before you, it was odd you declared so late and expect people to think you are the perfect candidate for the job. He was never part of another party either. An Independent candidate, who has so far done what was said on his material.

You on the other hand, have already mislead the public. You claimed it wasn't a beauty contest, and we wouldn't be seeing your face on any posters. I believed you, as I am sure many others did also. But, today, I spotted a poster from you up on a pole. ANOTHER new poster - as if we haven't enough. That is not only a complete contradiction but a complete unutter lie and your not even elected!

It is entirely misleading and false. You never said we may see a small few. You never said that we "might" not see you on posters. You said we would not see you on a poster. Full stop. Its there in black and white, as you say. But clearly, you are entering this beauty contest and have already lied to the public.

You always claim your not like other independents or parties. But you are, in a way. The public hate politicians who twist the truth, who lie to their face, promise the sun moon and stars and never get it. We want change. We are asking for change. You are here offering change but you have just proved you are exactly like the others. You are, what you say you are not, a politician.

Its a small issue. You might claim its a non issue. But its one small thing thats there in black and white. Whats to say that this little white lie won't turn into more big lies with a "Oh I didn't mean it in the literal sense..."

If you cant stick with your promises in relation to running, whats to say you won't stick to them when you are elected, assuming that happens?

Also, I asked earlier who did you speak with before running. You mentioned a few political people, but left out one candidate running in this election, apparently. I have had several people claim since I asked that question that you spoke with one particular election candidates before running. Maybe they are misleading me, who knows.

So, would you mind answering the question again and in the literal straight sense and not the backward way you put down about election posters. Just in case your previous answer didn't include everyone or you didn't understand what I meant. What election candidates here in Waterford did you seek advise before running and why?

I think you are been very childish here re the posters if what you claim to have been said was said. I have not seen any of Justin's leaflets or any of the posters you say are out there. Also can you say that anyone involved with Fine Gael has said something in the past and went back on it. Maybe you might be better off commenting on all these spats between Fine Gael and Labour and how next week Enda and James will be jumping into bed with Eamon and Joan and their respective elected tds.

I think you are been very childish here re the posters if what you claim to have been said was said. I have not seen any of Justin's leaflets or any of the posters you say are out there. Also can you say that anyone involved with Fine Gael has said something in the past and went back on it. Maybe you might be better off commenting on all these spats between Fine Gael and Labour and how next week Enda and James will be jumping into bed with Eamon and Joan and their respective elected tds.

Its childish and a small silly issue. I just feel that as an Independent candidate and on the footing he is standing on, he should be straight with people. He effectively knocked politicians for using posters and has made numerous references to how we feels about political parties. A lot of people would support him, including me. Yet he goes about it and does it, and effectively admits he lied on his election material. Its disappointing considering he makes himself out to be the best of a bad bunch, and I feel we have some excellent candidates here in Waterford - Independents included.

I just think its disappointing, and would prefer was straight. If it was a mistake, an oversight - fine. But thats not what is now being said. I'm annoyed at the response and thats why I am pushing.

Whats to say his "manifesto" is purely populism? The above is a small example, a little white lie but whats to say it wont turn into a bigger lie? Is it purely all electioneering and will the candidate change face when elected? I wasn't the only one to point out this earlier, and it was rubbished. Now we have an example.

We all make mistakes, and most of us stand up to them and admit it. But the people don't want people purposely misleading the public. Leo Varadkar, for example, admitted before the election a claim he made was incorrect and apologized. I have commented on the spats, but its mostly a Labour attack. But thats now what this thread is for or discussing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Has Justin specifically said in the past he won't put posters up? I can't find it here or on his website. Saying he doesn't like them or he wants them banned isn't the same thing.

Daysha wrote: »
    Has Justin specifically said in the past he won't put posters up? I can't find it here or on his website. Saying he doesn't like them or he wants them banned isn't the same thing.

Its on one of his leaflets that we wouldn't see his posters up, and the beauty contest reference is one he made himself as the reason why. His response confirms that.

I have a lot of respect for Justin, think he has potential but a few people are thinking he is using the populism approach and it was disappointing to see him state one thing and then do the opposite. Its tiny, and tbh doesn't make a huge difference, but candidates shouldn't be let get away with any attempt at lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Its on one of his leaflets that we wouldn't see his posters up, and the beauty contest reference is one he made himself as the reason why. His response confirms that.

I have a lot of respect for Justin, think he has potential but a few people are thinking he is using the populism approach and it was disappointing to see him state one thing and then do the opposite. Its tiny, and tbh doesn't make a huge difference, but candidates shouldn't be let get away with any attempt at lying.

Well I agree with you on the tiny thing anyway :P

The posters debate comes up every election and nothing ever changes, they're there and always will be, and I personally think there are far more important issues to be discussed than an independent candidate printing just 15 posters from his own money tbh.

Also can I say as well that you're the one that's making the big issue out of it, even though you're trying to persuade us otherwise. You've used terms like misleading and lying to the public, falsh advertising, electioneering etc, and you seem to have made up your mind about him as being 'just like any other politician' over something so....inconsequential.

I think Justin has done a bloody fantastic job taking the time out to answer all these questions in such detail, and now after all the queries, this is what you're suggesting could be the proof that he's just another populist non-runner?

If you really think it's just a 'small and childish issue', then prove it and let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

15 or so posters dotted around Waterford is nothing compared to the hundreds of banners and posters for other candidates I'm sick of seeing already. If he says its not a beauty contest, and only puts up 15 posters, I see no issue. I've yet to spot one of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I have to say Justin, I'm delighted to hear that you're are running and I really hope that up and down the country there are similar candidates of your calibre that get elected into the Dail.
    The country is in ruins and getting worse , I've no doubts that all parties know that we will default , this will be the fault of both the current FF majority with the opposition equaly to blame, the system is broken but the voters are at fault for continuing to return those muppets into the Dail.
    The biggest problem we have is emirgration, young people are leaving in their droves and this is being encouraged by the TDs in the Dail because it suits them in short term results (slashing SW for young people) but reality is that their incomes are also taken out of an already crippled economy which will lead to more job losses and more emirgration. We need a new party and this may be the way to establish it by getting proper minds into government and form an alliance with the national interest at heart not local bypasses and casinos.
    You've my number 1 and as many other people I can convince to vote for you, just dont pull a George Lee on us.

15 or so posters dotted around Waterford is nothing compared to the hundreds of banners and posters for other candidates I'm sick of seeing already. If he says its not a beauty contest, and only puts up 15 posters, I see no issue. I've yet to spot one of them anyway.

I agree, 15 poster is nothing. I know of three cross roads on a main road about a mile between the three (Maybe less) and i think there is something like six to eight Fine Gael and Labour posters at each of them.

Do polititions have to get planning permission to put them up by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I know we're kind of derailing the thread but some interesting food for thought is that Pat Hayes for Labour didn't put up one poster at the last local election but still got over a quota in first preferences - an increase over the 2004 Local Elections.

• Advertisement

Daysha wrote: »
    Well I agree with you on the tiny thing anyway :P

The posters debate comes up every election and nothing ever changes, they're there and always will be, and I personally think there are far more important issues to be discussed than an independent candidate printing just 15 posters from his own money tbh.

Also can I say as well that you're the one that's making the big issue out of it, even though you're trying to persuade us otherwise. You've used terms like misleading and lying to the public, falsh advertising, electioneering etc, and you seem to have made up your mind about him as being 'just like any other politician' over something so....inconsequential.

I think Justin has done a bloody fantastic job taking the time out to answer all these questions in such detail, and now after all the queries, this is what you're suggesting could be the proof that he's just another populist non-runner?

If you really think it's just a 'small and childish issue', then prove it and let it go.

Well no, Adam made better points earlier but Justin rubbished them. I just pointed out that a little white lie would seem to back up what was said, and I didn't think Justins response was great either.

Likewise, Justin claims he is the only "true independent". Joe Conway, candidate in Tramore, is and always has been an independent since he started in politics.

I'm also told that Justin spoke with another election candidate before running, in Waterford, and i was told what was said. I'd like Justin to clarify his earlier posts where he mentioned only people outside of Waterford. He might change his recollection on it now.

Its worth pointing out when candidates make up something, and do the opposite, it should be pointed out and the candidate respond accordingly rather then shrugging it of and seeing no issue. :)

I agree, 15 poster is nothing. I know of three cross roads on a main road about a mile between the three (Maybe less) and i think there is something like six to eight Fine Gael and Labour posters at each of them.

Do polititions have to get planning permission to put them up by the way.

15 posters because thats all he can afford :) I would imagine he would, if he could, dot them all around the place like the other parties.

As for planning, they effectively can put them anywhere. Halligan and Cullinane have gone to drilling large signs into public walls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement